PDA

View Full Version : The El Duque Game

BadBobbyJenks
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I have never heard this story that Harry said earlier on Mac Jurko and Harry. Harry said he was at some ESPN Zone party last night and he was talking with Ozzie JR. Ozzie's son said during the 6th inning when Marte was crapping himself Orlando called the dugout to speak with Guillen and argued with Ozzie to put him in the game. The way Harry explained it, Ozzie kept saying no you need more time to warm up and Hernandez pretty much demanded he be put in the game because "Marte was going to lose it for us". The rest is history.

This ridiculous moment is now even better if this is true. Anyone ever heard of this before?

guillensdisciple
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I have never heard this story that Harry said earlier on Mac Jurko and Harry. Harry said he was at some ESPN Zone party last night and he was talking with Ozzie JR. Ozzie's son said during the 6th inning when Marte was crapping himself Orlando called the dugout to speak with Guillen and argued with Ozzie to put him in the game. The way Harry explained it, Ozzie kept saying no you need more time to warm up and Hernandez pretty much demanded he be put in the game because "Marte was going to lose it for us". The rest is history.

This ridiculous moment is now even better if this is true. Anyone ever heard of this before?

One of the greatest playoff moments I have ever seen, hilarious story to boot.
If true that is.

soxinem1
12-09-2008, 06:22 PM
With BOS recent history of coming back from the dead to win (or make a real race of) any playoff series, that inning ranked up there with PK's granny, Pods walk-off, and Iguchi's clutch HR in the 2005 post-season.

And I'll admit it, I thought it was a crap move at the time. But I am sure glad it happened!!!!

Foulke You
12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Cool story. El Duque always has thrived in those pressure situations throughout his career. He is the "anti-Vazquez" in that regard. Duque probably was sick to his stomach with Marte's performance as much as Sox fans were at that time and took matters into his own hands. I defy anyone to find me a better example of clutch relief pitching in the playoffs than that game. El Duque will always have a special place in Sox history for that incredible inning.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I do recall Ozzie giving the HP umpire an earfull every inning. One of the crapiest strike zones in play-off history.

But that El Duque moment was the signature to me for that magical run.

ode to veeck
12-09-2008, 06:40 PM
El Duque's performance was the most amazing one of the playoffs; after the game AJ was still astounded by his repeatedly calling for breaking balls on full counts at crunch time. Remains the only time in MLB history a reliever entered the game with no outs bags loaded and allowed zero runs.

DumpJerry
12-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Aaron Rowand would have struck all three guys.:tongue:

Marqhead
12-09-2008, 06:44 PM

I don't think it's legal to hit other players, he probably would have been suspended. :redneck

DSpivack
12-09-2008, 06:46 PM
El Duque's performance was the most amazing one of the playoffs; after the game AJ was still astounded by his repeatedly calling for breaking balls on full counts at crunch time. Remains the only time in MLB history a reliever entered the game with no outs bags loaded and allowed zero runs.

That's gotta be in playoff history, no?

soxfandoug
12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Alright, you've convinced me to bust out the World Series DVD set and watch the El Duque game again!

BadBobbyJenks
12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Alright, you've convinced me to bust out the World Series DVD set and watch the El Duque game again!

Right after I heard the story I knew what I was going to be doing tonight, Game 3 ALDS.

DSpivack
12-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Right after I heard the story I knew what I was going to be doing tonight, Game 3 ALDS.

I might have to do this, as well. The only game I didn't get to watch in 2005.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
What if one of those batters was named Ditka?

chisox616
12-09-2008, 07:31 PM
God...what an amazing job of pitching that was. Unforgettable. Still sends shivers down my spine after watching it again..

chaotic8512
12-09-2008, 07:45 PM
That's gotta be in playoff history, no?

I don't think I could count on both hands all the times we were unable to score after loading the bases with no outs the past few years. I am willing to bet at least one of those was a reliever coming in.

So, yeah. :tongue:

BadBobbyJenks
12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't think I could count on both hands all the times we were unable to score after loading the bases with no outs the past few years. I am willing to bet at least one of those was a reliever coming in.

So, yeah. :tongue:

Aardsma did it in his one good month with us didn't he? I thought he struck out the side.

Huisj
12-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Aardsma did it in his one good month with us didn't he? I thought he struck out the side.

Looks like it was right at the beginning of the season, yes.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200704040.shtml

look at the play-by-play in the 8th inning.

Metalthrasher442
12-09-2008, 08:10 PM
I want a video of this.

chisoxfanatic
12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Brian Anderson would've forced every batter to hit a first-pitch pop-up to him for easy outs.
I want a video of this.
I'd love to have a sound byte of this bullpen phone argument...LOL!

sunofgold
12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
El Duque was part of the trade that brought over Vazquez. I am a fan of El Duque even when he was with the Yanks.

He had to fight his way onto the postseason roster. Brandon was pitching pretty well but somehow El Duque argued his way onto the postseason squad. He also had to pitch in relief during that last series against Cleveland to prove that he could pitch out of the bullpen.

What a gamer.

whitesox901
12-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Ahhh, I remember that grand Friday night,

twentywontowin
12-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I would put this on the top of the list of the most clutch performances in Chicago history.

Another one would be the Michael Jordan flu game.

Another clutch play, often overlooked: Steve Kerr hits the series clinching jumper in the 1997 NBA Finals. Even told MJ, get it to me and I'll be ready:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BlOTeoZVE

october23sp
12-09-2008, 10:57 PM
That inning was the most I have ever screamed at my TV. Also when AJ struck out and ran to first in game 2 of the ALCS I didnt see him run to first cuz I thew a pop can down the hall.

Lundind1
12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
That was one of the most incredible moments I have ever seen. I was late tuning in to that game, just the inning before, and it was just nerve wracking. I was about as sick watching it from home as I would have been to be there. It was just amazing how all those events played out.

Still have to take my hat off to that one 3+ years later.:superman:

SoxandtheCityTee
12-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Stuck in a massive traffic jam for the ages at the River Road toll plaza on the inbound Kennedy, I threw the car into park (no one was moving anyway) and stood up through the sun roof to cheer after the third out and the Farmer-Rooney call. And I was not alone -- people were yelling, honking, it was nuts. As I eventually pulled through the booth, the morose guy taking the money, wearing the blue hat, said, Sox fans pay double. Well worth it! I replied, and laughed as I pulled away.

For me this is up there with WS Game 2 and Game 163, which is impressive as I was at both of those games -- hard to be as thrilled over the radio, but I really was. I will never forget that performance by El Duque.

Irishsox1
12-09-2008, 11:51 PM
What I remember was that I was never relaxed. I was a total mess just pacing around never really believing El Duque could get out of it. You just don't think bases loaded, no outs that anyone can get out of it. And then when Damon struck out, I remember just yelling "Huge!", "Huge!". But it wasn't until after the game when I was thinking back to that inning, that it takes plays like that to win a world series and that as a Sox fan, I had never seen such a clutch play.

The only thing that ruined it, for me was Chris Berman's call. His voice makes me want to puke! It's too bad the DVD's can't access Rooney's call.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2008, 12:36 AM
What if one of those batters was named Ditka?Of course, somebody has to ask, would it be be mini-Ditka, or would he be full-grown?

beasly213
12-10-2008, 09:47 AM
The only thing that ruined it, for me was Chris Berman's call. His voice makes me want to puke! It's too bad the DVD's can't access Rooney's call.

I couldn't agree more. Berman defines jackass. "OH he gets him to go." (In a disapointed voice of course)

Chrisaway
12-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I remember I was all set and ready to leave for work but I was late cause I had to see if El Duque was gonna get us outta that jam. Needless to say I gladly took my scolding from my bosses.

DumpJerry
12-10-2008, 10:49 AM

I don't think it's legal to hit other players, he probably would have been suspended. :redneck

What if one of those batters was named Ditka?
Aaron Rowand would have struck all three batters and Selig would have given him an award because he is Aaron Rowand.

The alternative would have Rowand striking out all three batters on three pitches each. He can do that, you know.

Chrisaway
12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Aaron Rowand would have struck all three batters and Selig would have given him an award because he is Aaron Rowand.

The alternative would have Rowand striking out all three batters on three pitches each. He can do that, you know.
He could also save a busload of drowning children simultaneously.

PaleHoser
12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
That was a clinic on the difference between "pitching" and "throwing".

El Duque has grande cajones. :thumbsup:

veeter
12-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I had a very good feeling when he came in. I didn't think he'd stone them like that, though. He may have saved the season there. I remember El Duque's first start with the Sox up in Minnesota. He dominated them. I remember thinking a 'MAN' has arrived on the south side.

longtimesoxguy
12-10-2008, 12:18 PM
El Duque is a Sox legend!!! I remember watching at the Wabash Tap and all everyone wanted was to get out of that inning tied. What he did will always in my mind be a top moment in Whitesox history!!!! THEY GONE!!!!

slavko
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Whoa there sailor. Do you mean post-season history? Because it happens all the time in the regular season. Like when Bill Simas did it against the Indians a decade ago, as he K'ed all three, including Jim Thome.

thomas35forever
12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I heard that on MJ&H too. The OP beat me to starting this thread. That phone conversation just makes that inning all the more legendary. I remeber that sixth inning took forever because the White Sox knocked Wakefield out of the game during the top half. I knew it was a mistake to bring Marte in and when El Duque came in, I was like "Well, he can't do much worse." What he did in that inning was THE performance of the 2005 season. Less-experienced would probably crack under that pressure, but Duque had the most postseason experience of anyone on that roster by a mile, and Ozzie must have forgotten about that. I'm glad Ozzie gave in and made that ass wipe Berman eat his own tears.

white sox bill
12-10-2008, 06:34 PM
A defining moment in our history. Seeing El Duque point to the ump while trotting off the mound towards the dugout and pumping his hand when the ump rang the batter out was priceless

SoxandtheCityTee
12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Whoa there sailor. Do you mean post-season history? Because it happens all the time in the regular season. Like when Bill Simas did it against the Indians a decade ago, as he K'ed all three, including Jim Thome.

If it's the game I'm thinking of, I was there. Simas came in with bases loaded and none out, and got Thome, Belle and Murray (hmm, not in that order?) but I don't think all were Ks -- one ground out, I think.

Brian26
12-10-2008, 11:41 PM
If it's the game I'm thinking of, I was there. Simas came in with bases loaded and none out, and got Thome, Belle and Murray (hmm, not in that order?) but I don't think all were Ks -- one ground out, I think.

June 28, 1996 - courtesy of retrosheet.org

INDIANS 7TH: Lofton doubled to left; L. THOMAS REPLACED BALDWIN
(PITCHING); Vizquel singled [Lofton to third]; Baerga was hit by
a pitch [Vizquel to second]; SIMAS REPLACED L. THOMAS
(PITCHING); Belle struck out; Thome struck out; Murray grounded
out (first unassisted); 0 R, 2 H, 0 E, 3 LOB. Indians 2, White
Sox 4.

BadBobbyJenks
12-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Just finished watching the DVD again and picked up on this little gem from Sutcliffe while Orlando Hernandez was warming up in the bottom of the 5th, "I think this is just a case of getting your work in, his time for pitching is behind him"

Nice Call, Rick :thumbsup:

SoxandtheCityTee
12-11-2008, 06:51 AM
June 28, 1996 - courtesy of retrosheet.org

INDIANS 7TH: Lofton doubled to left; L. THOMAS REPLACED BALDWIN
(PITCHING); Vizquel singled [Lofton to third]; Baerga was hit by
a pitch [Vizquel to second]; SIMAS REPLACED L. THOMAS
(PITCHING); Belle struck out; Thome struck out; Murray grounded
out (first unassisted); 0 R, 2 H, 0 E, 3 LOB. Indians 2, White
Sox 4.

That's it. I have to use retrosheet more.

In 1997 they put together some 1996 highlights to show on the Jumbotron, as per usual. The above was the only pitching highlight they used. :o: At the time of the game all things seemed possible, the Sox were contending; a Friday night and a big house, cheering for Simas.

ode to veeck
12-11-2008, 01:52 PM

yep post season history, I was driving in heavy rush hour traffic ito meet a client n east bay SF listening on the radio and I almost had about 8 accidents on several pitches and got home hours later to watch the real thing, nice thing on the radio coverage was hearing AJ talk about El Duque's cajones afterwards

MHOUSE
12-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I was driving to visit some friends at SIU-Carbondale and lost reception on my car radio at the beginning of the inning and had my brother texting me updates. Something to the effect of: "Bases loaded nobody out, Ozzie goes to El Duque who gets out of it. Wow." I was pumped up and then got reception back in time for the Sox to take the lead. When I saw the highlights I have to agree that has to rank up there with all-time clutch moments in the postseason. I also feel the same way about Buehrle saving Game 3 of the WS & Uribe going into the stands, but since it wasn't a Yankee SP or Jeter, nobody in the media seems to care.

MHOUSE
12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Oh, and does anyone know what thread has that picture of El Duque leaving the mound that inning pointing at AJ, but someone photo-shopped in Michelangelo's The Hand of God? That was a great great picture!

KenBerryGrab
12-12-2008, 06:28 PM
I remember almost passing out from yelling "DUUUUUUUQUEEEEEEEE!"

And also thinking, "The Sox never get that call."

C-Dawg
12-13-2008, 10:49 AM
And that insurance run the Sox added in the 9th was sure sweet too; Ozzie and the Sox clearly weren't content to cling to a one-run lead and when AJ scored in the 9th it twisted the knife a little further into the Red Cubs' hope for a rally. Such a great night!