PDA

View Full Version : Damaso Marte

NUKE_CLEVELAND
05-21-2002, 09:04 PM
I am really starting to like this guy. He's been rocksteady every time I've seen him pitch & he came across with another 1 2/3 innings of perfect work tonight. Could he be the answer to our middle relief woes of the last few seasons?

kevingrt
05-21-2002, 09:15 PM
I think Damaso Marte is awesome. He didn't do awesome in the beginning of the year, but now has stepped it up two notches. I don't like what some people say of him going to the starting pitching role, becasue you stick with what has done good. Marte is awesome, and now we have two exceptional set-up men with Marte and Howry, hopefully Osuna, Wunsch, and Ginter can come through and keep the ERA to a minimal, and we should be good with the bullpen problems as of late. Remember we also have Barcelo in Charlotte ready to come and play.

Iguana775
05-21-2002, 09:21 PM
i thought barcelo was hurt again. i thought i remember reading something that he was hurt and it would be hard for him to come back at all

Garrison
05-21-2002, 10:37 PM
I heard he was hurt also. But after his early season woes, I'm perfectly all right with Lorenzo Barcelo being in AAA and not up here. Marte is awesome. The slider is just.....whoa! I'm lovin' it. The more JM trusts him to go longer innings and get out more than just an occasional lefty, the better off we are. He started shaky and I was worried about him, but he been rock solid ever since. I really like this guy. Matt Guerrer who?

duke of dorwood
05-21-2002, 10:38 PM
He has an energy on the hill we seldom have.

:jerry

What's Energy?

34 Inch Stick
05-22-2002, 09:46 AM
How is Guerrier doing?

I thought we got taken again but this trade might have to go in the Kenny + column.

Kid Kip
05-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Guerrier got his first win last night. He is now 1-6.

yyz
05-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Kenny made a good move here. Our balance sheet with the Pirates is basically Fogg, Wells and Guerrier for Ritchie and Marte, which despite Ritchie's blowup on Monday doesn't look terrible. Not suffering through another Kip Wells blowup probably makes it worth it.

hold2dibber
05-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by yyz
Kenny made a good move here. Our balance sheet with the Pirates is basically Fogg, Wells and Guerrier for Ritchie and Marte, which despite Ritchie's blowup on Monday doesn't look terrible. Not suffering through another Kip Wells blowup probably makes it worth it.

You forgot Lowe. I understood the Ritchie trade at the time, though I thought KW overpaid. I hated the Marte trade at the time, and am happy to say that I think I was dead wrong. Overall, it seems like both teams have benefited - and I have no idea whether under Nardi, Fogg or K. Wells would have enjoyed anywhere near the measure of success they've enjoyed in Pitt.

baggio202
05-22-2002, 03:55 PM
marte is a teaser..he pitches great in non pressure situations....bring him in with runners on base in a pressure situation and he gives up a hit....when we fir st made this trade i checked his splits with pittsburgh...his era when he started an inning was 1.45 ...with RISP...late inning situation...bases loaded...RISPw/two outs his era was above in all those situations..in extra innings it was 27.00...

check his splits this year...pretty much the same thing is going on...when he starts off an inning his era is around 2....with runners in scoring position its over 7....when youre the first lefty out of the pen your number 1 job is to come into close games with RISP and get an out..so far he has failed to do this consistently

the guy has great stuff...but this is his 2nd full season where he hasnt preformed much in the clutch...its something to keep an eye on...next time he comes in a game with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs...see if he gives up a hit...

another thing...lefties hit 150 against him but righties are lighting him up....bring him into face a lefty and the other manager pinch hits with a righty and were are stuck with him....this is probably why he fails so much in those situations..he cant gety right handers out...

hopefully he becomes more successful in this role or kelly wunsh gets back to '00 form

HawkDJ
05-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Damaso has now pitched 8 1/3 consecutive scoreless innings. Give me and him a break Baggio, the guy's good. We've brought him in with runners on.

Anyways someone said Guerrier is 1-6 but he has a decent ERA of 4.44

baggio202
05-22-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Damaso has now pitched 8 1/3 consecutive scoreless innings. Give me and him a break Baggio, the guy's good. We've brought him in with runners on.

Anyways someone said Guerrier is 1-6 but he has a decent ERA of 4.44

i didnt say trade the guy..and i didnt say anything about gurrier...last game out before this he came in and let an inherited runner score w/o getting an out...he didnt get charged for a run because the relief pitcher brought in after him did his job and didnt let inherited runners score...

all im saying is id like to see him a little more consistency in pressure situation if in fact he is going to stay as the main lefty out of the pen..and after watching kelly the first two times out it will be a while before kelly is ready to assume that roll...

Garrison
05-22-2002, 06:03 PM
baggio202 makes a good point. Damaso has good stuff and he's doing great. Notice that when he comes on with RISP he usually gives up a hit and they score before he starts mowing them down with his slider. He doesn't get charged with the previous relievers runners and therefore the scoreless innings. Just watch Marte next time he comes on. When starting an inning, the guy can dominate and usually doesn't give up anything.

bc2k
05-22-2002, 06:08 PM
I like what Marte has done thus far. If what you say is true Baggio , then we just use Wunsch to get out one lefty with runners in scoring position and let Marte start innings.

I found this stat interesting and comforting in today's Tribune: Nine consecutive scoreless appearances for Damaso Marte. Overall batters have a .219 overall average against him. I'll take that.