PDA

View Full Version : Effect of White Sox on K-Rod to Mets?

mcm3312
12-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Does K-Rod to the mets open up more options in sox negotiations with angels and ultimately increase our chances of landing Figgins in a White Sox uniform?

With their need for a power slugging first basemen and a reliable closer, we could be seeing some fireworks before Kenny leaves LV.

Source- My Brain

btrain929
12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Does K-Rod to the mets open up more options in sox negotiations with angels and ultimately increase our chances of landing Figgins in a White Sox uniform?

With their need for a power slugging first basemen and a reliable closer, we could be seeing some fireworks before Kenny leaves LV.

Source- My Brain

We can get Figgins w/o giving up Jenks. If they were interested in Jenks, then I'd want some of that good young pitching. But realistically they'll either sign someone thru FA or give Shields/Arredondo (sp?) a chance.

Goose
12-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Source- My Brain

Are you suggesting that we can now trade PK and Jenks to LA for Figgins?

Really?

I miss Rockabilly.

turners56
12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
We can get Figgins w/o giving up Jenks. If they were interested in Jenks, then I'd want some of that good young pitching. But realistically they'll either sign someone thru FA or give Shields/Arredondo (sp?) a chance.

I would imagine that Arredondo would then be their closer. That guy has some electric stuff.

soltrain21
12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Would they take Jenks back after outright getting rid of him because of his off the field issues? I know those are long past him - but are they past the Angels?

gr8mexico
12-09-2008, 05:24 PM
The K-Rod signing has nothing to do with the Sox. But if Mark Teixeira was to sign with Boston and not the Angels then yes. The Sox would have a way better chance to trade Paul Konerko to the Angels.

thedudeabides
12-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Are we sure Figgins is going anywhere? It seems odd that speed and leadoff hitters always seems to be a need for teams and I haven't heard a single rumor about Figgins. I'd imagine there would be other teams out there that would be kicking the tires....unless the Angels are asking a ridiculous price?

FedEx227
12-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I would imagine that Arredondo would then be their closer. That guy has some electric stuff.

He's about 98.9% likely to take that closers role, he has closer stuff no doubt.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 06:21 PM

Wow, a contender replacing it's 60 save closer in house.... what a novelty.

But Jenks is "untoucable." There is no way we can trade hime because we have no one who can replace him :rolleyes:

soltrain21
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM

But Jenks is "untoucable." There is no way we can trade hime because we have no one who can replace him :rolleyes:

Aren't you the same guy who complains about signing no free agents? Do you just bitch about every situation you can?

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Aren't you the same guy who complains about signing no free agents? Do you just bitch about every situation you can?

Jenks is not a FA, what are you talking about :scratch:

DSpivack
12-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Who do we have that you suggest replace Jenks if we traded him? The Angels for years have had among the best, if not the best, bullpen in the majors.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Who do we have that you suggest replace Jenks if we traded him? The Angels for years have had among the best, if not the best, bullpen in the majors.

I honestly think Thornton or even the highly hated Dotel would make up 30 saves for us easily

If it meant trading Jenks for other major needs (like a lead off hitter/CF) or even a ML ready Starting Pitcher ..... Go for it.

soltrain21
12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Jenks is not a FA, what are you talking about :scratch:

Because you complain about not signing free agents, you complain about trading guys and now you are complaining about NOT trading someone.

It's tired.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Because you complain about not signing free agents, you complain about trading guys and now you are complaining about NOT trading someone.

It's tired.

Ignore me

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Word is the Angels may go after Sabathia and if they land him they'll need to move Jered Weaver.... hmmm.... Jenks and Konerko for Figgins and Weaver? But then our bullpen is incomplete with a huge piece missing.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Word is the Angels may go after Sabathia and if they land him they'll need to move Jered Weaver.... hmmm.... Jenks and Konerko for Figgins and Weaver? But then our bullpen is incomplete with a huge piece missing.
And we don't have a first baseman. And we made a completely boneheaded move.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2008, 07:37 PM
And we don't have a first baseman. And we made a completely boneheaded move.

Yes we do, Joshua Fields.
How the **** is that boneheaded Mr. Source of all Information? We get a leadoff man who can play third or second AND we get a very promising, young pitcher to fill up our rotation.
We can then go out and either deal some of our prospects, which we have more of now, for a closer or sign some of the guys available right now and do so relatively cheap. We do lose Jenks, yes, but eventually I think we will deal him anyway (within 1-3 seasons) and Konerko... I can live without PK on my Sox.
I think you say things some times just to get people to argue with you.
Heck, I KNOW you do, I don't just think it.

Tragg
12-09-2008, 07:42 PM
It's not like Figgins is an all-star quality player. He slaps it pretty well and takes the walks as they come (although Walker and Guillen haven't gotten hold of him yet). He's Podsednik+ at a corner infielder.
He shouldn't be THAT hard to pry away.

The Weavers are talented, but seem like head-cases to me.

Figgins and Weaver (who has 5th starter results) doesn't seem like enough for Konerko and Jenks.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Yes we do, Joshua Fields.
How the **** is that boneheaded Mr. Source of all Information? We get a leadoff man who can play third or second AND we get an very promising, young pitcher to fill up our rotation.
We can then go out and either deal some of our prospects, which we have more of now, for a closer or sign some of the guys available right now and do so relatively cheap. We do lose Jenks, yes, but eventually I think we will deal him anyway (within 1-3 seasons) and Konerko... I can live without PK on my Sox.
I think you say things some times just to get people to argue with you.
Heck, I KNOW you do, I don't just think it.
If you think Josh Fields is somehow an adequate first baseman, please. He's never played the position, and his bat is well below average there. In doing so, we downgrade at first base, both offensively and defensively. Secondly, Figgins is a pretty average defender, and his bat is well below the threshold at third base. At second base, his defense worsens, taking away some of his value. On Jenks, I don't really want to trade him for some retread, aging speedster and a pitcher one season away from entering arbitration. Now is the worst time to trade him, as it's clearly a buyer's market for relief.

DSpivack
12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
If you think Josh Fields is somehow an adequate first baseman, please. He's never played the position, and his bat is well below average there. In doing so, we downgrade at first base, both offensively and defensively. Secondly, Figgins is a pretty average defender, and his bat is well below the threshold at third base. At second base, his defense worsens, taking away some of his value. On Jenks, I don't really want to trade him for some retread, aging speedster and a pitcher one season away from entering arbitration. Now is the worst time to trade him, as it's clearly a buyer's market for relief.

Fields at 1B would be a disaster, but this is a buyer's market for our favorite corner OF/1B types.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2008, 07:51 PM

Since when did defense at first even matter? And how long does it take for someone to adjust to playing there anyway?
Jenks would be the 2nd best closer behind K-Rod if he were on the market. Guess what, K-Rod signed so Jenks would be the best available. His value is very high though.
I think this would be a very good deal to make.
Won't happen so it's worthless debating this any further, but I'd be a big fan of this deal if it went down. Call me a bonehead, call me Sally. I'll find you and kick your ass! :redneck

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Since when did defense at first even matter? And how long does it take for someone to adjust to playing there anyway?
Jenks would be the 2nd best closer behind K-Rod if he were on the market. Guess what, K-Rod signed so Jenks would be the best available. His value is very high though.
Won't happen so it's worthless debating this any further, but I'd be a big fan of this deal if it went down. Call me a bonehead, call me Sally. I'll find you and kick your ass! :redneck
I'd debate Jenks is the second best deal, as I'm sure teams would much rather surrender money for a 2-3 year commitment to guys like Fuentes and Wood, rather than give up prospects and the money to accommodate Jenks' arbitration years. His value is limited, relative to what it should be.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 07:58 PM

I like the idea more than anything I have heard this offseason.

You solve two big issues right there, lead off and SP.

Jenks IMO is replaceable with either Dotel or Thornton.

Didn't I hear 2-3 years ago that Dye was headed to 1B sometime down the line, well there it is.

That opens up RF for Abreau?

Abreau ($9 million )+ Figgins ($5) + Weaver ($1)... Salaries save you about $2 million from the combined Jenks + Konerko price tag of $17 million.

And your team became better.

This is the kind of stuff I like to read.

Tragg
12-09-2008, 08:10 PM
One trade that might affect us is the Reds trading for Balt's catcher; that guy makes almost 10 million a year, which I would think would prevent the Reds from paying Dye.
I can't believe the Reds would want that contract.

Craig Grebeck
12-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I like the idea more than anything I have heard this offseason.

You solve two big issues right there, lead off and SP.

Jenks IMO is replaceable with either Dotel or Thornton.

Didn't I hear 2-3 years ago that Dye was headed to 1B sometime down the line, well there it is.

That opens up RF for Abreau?

Abreau ($9 million )+ Figgins ($5) + Weaver ($1)... Salaries save you about $2 million from the combined Jenks + Konerko price tag of $17 million.

And your team became better.

This is the kind of stuff I like to read.
You just downgraded your team defensively while weakening the pitching staff. Dotel in a ninth inning role is frightening, especially considering his 2008 trend (first half vs. second half). I'd be kinda surprised if he makes it all the way through 2009 with the team. Abreu (which is how you spell his name, for what it's worth), is one of the worst defensive outfielders in baseball, and his offense has been tailing off (mainly his core skills, like his ability to not swing at pitches in the dirt and his walk rate).

Also, Konerko won't waive his no trade rights, I'd imagine.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 12:02 AM
You just downgraded your team defensively while weakening the pitching staff. Dotel in a ninth inning role is frightening, especially considering his 2008 trend (first half vs. second half). I'd be kinda surprised if he makes it all the way through 2009 with the team. Abreu (which is how you spell his name, for what it's worth), is one of the worst defensive outfielders in baseball, and his offense has been tailing off (mainly his core skills, like his ability to not swing at pitches in the dirt and his walk rate).

:?:

Figgins > Fields
Abreu = Dye
Dye < Konerko .... but how bad was Konerko last year?

Weakining our pitching staff? Weaver not better than Marquez/Richard as your #4?

Dotel is no Bobby Jenks, but seriously, how hard are are 30 saves to replace?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2008, 01:21 AM

To go to the Angels? The team he would've signed with had he not signed with us? OK, I'm convinced. You spew off venom hoping to garner people's attention and start meaningless debates.

I refuse to believe you're 19. Absolutely, no way. And if you are, WOW, is all I'm going to say. I don't want this to get personal so I'll stop here. But all I've seen from you around here is you telling everyone they're wrong and arguing their every point. You are as cold as ice to most everyone I've seen you converse with around here and quite frankly, you come off as one arrogant piece of ****. But I said I'd stop before it got personal and I've already went past that point. So why stop now right? :redneck

This is a community my friend, treat people like their neighbors you see walking down the street. Don't TRY insulting everyone with you "I know it all and every point you make falls short compared to what I will say". You don't have to agree with all of us but just reply with respect or shut your mouth and don't respond to everything you think is "stupid" or "boneheaded". Just some words of advice, from the "bonehead".

bestkosher
12-10-2008, 01:35 AM
If a Jenks and Pk trade were done. They could sign Brandon Lyon for their closers role. He will be on the cheaper side of the closers but is still effective. As mentioned earlier 1st base is not a huge defensive priority. Hell we had Dan Pasqua there, that should say enough for the position.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2008, 01:44 AM
If a Jenks and Pk trade were done. They could sign Brandon Lyon for their closers role. He will be on the cheaper side of the closers but is still effective. As mentioned earlier 1st base is not a huge defensive priority. Hell we had Dan Pasqua there, that should say enough for the position.

No, no, no, don't speak such words. You're going to get it now.

With Don Cooper's brilliance we can take a guy like Lyons or hey, why not Kerry Wood?, and turn them into Jenks if not better. I love Bobby, I started a thread about not trading him before, but if we can land Figgins, Weaver, and probably a prospect or two for him and Konerko? I'll drive jenks and pk to LA and pick the guys from LA and bring them back. I may want to stay in LA until April but I don't think anyone will be upset about that... :redneck

Konerko05
12-10-2008, 02:09 AM
To go to the Angels? The team he would've signed with had he not signed with us? OK, I'm convinced. You spew off venom hoping to garner people's attention and start meaningless debates.

I refuse to believe you're 19. Absolutely, no way. And if you are, WOW, is all I'm going to say. I don't want this to get personal so I'll stop here. But all I've seen from you around here is you telling everyone they're wrong and arguing their every point. You are as cold as ice to most everyone I've seen you converse with around here and quite frankly, you come off as one arrogant piece of ****. But I said I'd stop before it got personal and I've already went past that point. So why stop now right? :redneck

This is a community my friend, treat people like their neighbors you see walking down the street. Don't TRY insulting everyone with you "I know it all and every point you make falls short compared to what I will say". You don't have to agree with all of us but just reply with respect or shut your mouth and don't respond to everything you think is "stupid" or "boneheaded". Just some words of advice, from the "bonehead".

Wow. He disagreed with you on some baseball moves, you call him a piece of **** then have to nerve to tell him to "reply with respect"?

You're completely out of line.

So let me get this straight, Grebeck can post as much as he wants as long as he doesn't disagree with you?

You're bringing up age for some reason, but you're the one that needs to grow up.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Wow. He disagreed with you on some baseball moves, you call him a piece of **** then have to nerve to tell him to "reply with respect"?

You're completely out of line.

So let me get this straight, Grebeck can post as much as he wants as long as he doesn't disagree with you?

You're bringing up age for some reason, but you're the one that needs to grow up.

You don't know the history. I highly suggest you stay out of it.
And he told me his age before, I never asked for it.
I truthfully don't want this getting out of hand but I highly disagree with the way he talks to some of us. If I was out of line, I apologize to a certain degree. But I just think he can say his opinions without being so disrespectful to people. Agreeing with me isn't the point. A LOT of people disagree with me on here but I still feel like they are telling me I am wrong or that they don't agree and they do it with respect. And by respect I don't mean by using words like "with all due respect" or "please don't get mad, but i think otherwise", no. That's not it at all.

And for the record, you've already went and put words in my mouth so let me regurgitate them, I never said he IS an arrogant piece of ****. My exact words were...

You are as cold as ice to most everyone I've seen you converse with around here and quite frankly, you come off as one arrogant piece of ****.

For the most part Craig Grebeck provides some of the most thoughtful and intelligent posts on here. But there are times where you just wonder if he's saying things to insult and/or even degrade the person he's speaking to/about. THAT, I have a problem with. Am I being overly sensitive? Eh, maybe. Am I just misinterpreting his "tone"? I don't think so.

guillensdisciple
12-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Since this is my first WSI off season trip I am wondering, is everyone this crazy?

Seriously , everyone here obviously needs a dose of White Sox baseball, until February all of you guys are going to have to take a freaking chill pill.

Man, I have never seen so many people get mad/ offended in a virtual world of writing and discussion.

Konerko05
12-10-2008, 02:41 AM
You don't know the history. I highly suggest you stay out of it.
And he told me his age before, I never asked for it.
I truthfully don't want this getting out of hand but I highly disagree with the way he talks to some of us. If I was out of line, I apologize to a certain degree. But I just think he can say his opinions without being so disrespectful to people. Agreeing with me isn't the point. A LOT of people disagree with me on here but I still feel like they are telling me I am wrong or that they don't agree and they do it with respect. And by respect I don't mean by using words like "with all due respect" or "please don't get mad, but i think otherwise", no. That's not it at all.

And for the record, you've already went and put words in my mouth so let me regurgitate them, I never said he IS an arrogant piece of ****. My exact words were...

For the most part Craig Grebeck provides some of the most thoughtful and intelligent posts on here. But there are times where you just wonder if he's saying things to insult and/or even degrade the person he's speaking to/about. THAT, I have a problem with. Am I being overly sensitive? Eh, maybe. Am I just misinterpreting his "tone"? I don't think so.

You're highly suggesting I stay out of it? You're posting on a public message board, if you want privacy take it to PM.

I read every thread, the only history I see is... "Grebeck disagrees with WhiteSoxFan84, WhiteSoxFan84 throws tantrum."

Regardless of the semantics about what you said, you still referred to Grebeck as a "piece of ****." Honestly, I've never seen Grebeck show the type of disrespect you spew.

Grebeck disagrees with your baseball opinion, get over and stop crying.

whitesox901
12-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Since this is my first WSI off season trip I am wondering, is everyone this crazy?

Seriously , everyone here obviously needs a dose of White Sox baseball, until February all of you guys are going to have to take a freaking chill pill.

Man, I have never seen so many people get mad/ offended in a virtual world of writing and discussion.

I agree, I'm not sure who he was referring too, but enough people got on Rockabilly's case to make him leave. I for one liked his rumors.

guillensdisciple
12-10-2008, 02:59 AM
If you think Josh Fields is somehow an adequate first baseman, please. He's never played the position, and his bat is well below average there. In doing so, we downgrade at first base, both offensively and defensively. Secondly, Figgins is a pretty average defender, and his bat is well below the threshold at third base. At second base, his defense worsens, taking away some of his value. On Jenks, I don't really want to trade him for some retread, aging speedster and a pitcher one season away from entering arbitration. Now is the worst time to trade him, as it's clearly a buyer's market for relief.[/quote]

I am assuming you didn't watch the playoffs. Figgins was one of their most productive players and came through in some very clutch situations. That is one, second the White Sox are slow, we WON'T go anywhere unless we go faster, surely this year has shown you that.
Any trade made, will have a back-up signing to it, the Sox didn't unload players just for the prospects. They plan far in advance. If this trade were to happen, Chone would probably be signed. As for trading Jenks for Weaver, absolutely! We will have a very adequate four, while allowing a fifth and fourth to develop in the fifth spot of our rotation.

I will agree that the loss of Jenks will be a tough one to stomach, but Poreda and other relievers in the Sox bullpen have more then adequate stuff to fill that role. That is a risk, if given, the White Sox would be willing to take.
[quote=WhiteSoxFan84;2117734]Since when did defense at first even matter? And how long does it take for someone to adjust to playing there anyway?

You are correct, Jenks should now have the highest value on the market, unless the Phillies were dumb enough to put Lidge out there.
If this trade went down, I would be the first one buying a Figgins Sox jersey.

I'd debate Jenks is the second best deal, as I'm sure teams would much rather surrender money for a 2-3 year commitment to guys like Fuentes and Wood, rather than give up prospects and the money to accommodate Jenks' arbitration years. His value is limited, relative to what it should be.
His value is extremely high at the moment, this is probably the only time we could pull a trade of the sort that was mentioned above.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2008, 03:06 AM
You're highly suggesting I stay out of it? You're posting on a public message board, if you want privacy take it to PM.

I read every thread, the only history I see is... "Grebeck disagrees with WhiteSoxFan84, WhiteSoxFan84 throws tantrum."

Regardless of the semantics about what you said, you still referred to Grebeck as a "piece of ****." Honestly, I've never seen Grebeck show the type of disrespect you spew.

Grebeck disagrees with your baseball opinion, get over and stop crying.

Oook buddy. I'm ending my involvement with that situation and will try my best, for the sake of the mods, to not crosspaths with him or you because clearly there is now tension. Have yourself a good night sir.

Craig Grebeck
12-10-2008, 08:21 AM

1. Just because Konerko pondered signing with them in 2005 doesn't mean he'd waive his rights and go there in 2009. At this point in his career, I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed.
2. I'm not even going to respond to the personal attacks.
3. Why do you put stupid and boneheaded in quotes? I didn't call you either one.