PDA

View Full Version : Ron Santo wants to reform Veteran's Committee

UofCSoxFan
12-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Seriously, the guy had mediocre stats (for the HOF anyway) and never played a team that did anything of significance. The fact that his numbers are comparable to some of the more borderline selections doesn't mean he's getting screwed. He's now even bringing up his diabetes as a reason for electing him. Gimme a break. If you need to continue to politic for something that is suppossed to be based on merit, maybe you aren't deserving. Just a thought.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3756458

JohnTucker0814
12-09-2008, 11:38 AM
It's pretty funny how bad he wants to get in. How many years was he on the "real" ballot before being turned over to the veterans commitee? I mean seriously Ron, you've been denied for like 20 years, do you think you're going to get the hint at some point?

chisoxmike
12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Dude, she doesn't like you!

MUsoxfan
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I really don't think he has a leg to stand on here

jackbrohamer
12-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Why not just waive any entry requirements and let him in. After all, he was one of the Greatest Third Basemen Ever. I heard Santo say so himself, what more does anyone need?

PaleHoser
12-09-2008, 11:48 AM
:whiner:

jabrch
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Did you read Ronny's proposal?

He wants a 8 man VC

Ernie Banks
Ryne Sandberg
Billy Williams
Fergie Jenkins
The Estate of Jerome Holtzman
The Estate of Harry Caray
The Estate of Jack Brickhouse
and....
RON SANTO

Marqhead

Brutal.

jabrch

Now that's cold....

SOX ADDICT '73
12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
I wonder how many Cubs fans are as sick of hearing his annual whining as the rest of the world is...

SoxGirl4Life
12-09-2008, 11:53 AM

:rimshot:

Dick Allen
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Ron Santo needs to go away.

Tekijawa
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I'd like to be in the HOF too... I haven't had any articles written about me in a long time.

Demafrost
12-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Seriously, the guy had mediocre stats (for the HOF anyway) and never played a team that did anything of significance. The fact that his numbers are comparable to some of the more borderline selections doesn't mean he's getting screwed. He's now even bringing up his diabetes as a reason for electing him. Gimme a break. If you need to continue to politic for something that is suppossed to be based on merit, maybe you aren't deserving. Just a thought.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3756458

Not that it's right to use diabetes as a reason to get in, but one of Santo's biggest drawbacks to HOF candidacy is the fact that he flamed out at age 34. Having diabetes in an age where it was much harder to treat can explain why. Even still his numbers are probably 6th or 7th best for 3B all time. Does that mean its a screw job that he's not in? No. But he certainly has the qualifications to be a HOFer in my mind. Dick Allen is probably a worse omission though.

Rocky Soprano
12-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I could of sworn that when the Cubs retired his number he said he no longer needed the hall of fame, that the Cubs retiring his number was his hall of fame.

whitem0nkey
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
how many HOFers did the 69 cubs have?

the 69 cub team had an 8 and 1/2 game lead late august and was 8 games out of first the it was all done.

so they are saying this team had 4 HOFers.

then i'm sure the 2008 White Sox should have about 5-6 HOFers, I mean we won the division.

soxinem1
12-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Did you read Ronny's proposal?

He wants a 8 man VC

Ernie Banks
Ryne Sandberg
Billy Williams
Fergie Jenkins
The Estate of Jerome Holtzman
The Estate of Harry Caray
The Estate of Jack Brickhouse
and....
RON SANTO

He'd still lose by five votes......

But I'd replace SANTO with the Estate of Frank Chance. Ronny is NOT eligible!!!!

Zisk77
12-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Harold Baines has superior numbers and Harold hasn't and won't complain at all.

12-09-2008, 12:59 PM

:bandance:

MushMouth
12-09-2008, 01:13 PM

:thud::lol:

btrain929
12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Never gets old....

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/you_suck.gif

OmarLittle
12-09-2008, 01:36 PM
how many HOFers did the 69 cubs have?

the 69 cub team had an 8 and 1/2 game lead late august and was 8 games out of first the it was all done.

so they are saying this team had 4 HOFers.

then i'm sure the 2008 White Sox should have about 5-6 HOFers, I mean we won the division.

go to dictionary.com

look up logic.

use it.

twentywontowin
12-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Nothing would please me more than to see this alcoholic piece of **** stay out of the hall.

The only reason he lost his legs is because he drank his diabetes into a worse condition. Now he tries to use it to help himself further?

soltrain21
12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
go to dictionary.com

look up logic.

use it.

You should probably go meet the kettle. He was obviously joking.

Marqhead
12-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Nothing would please me more than to see this alcoholic piece of **** stay out of the hall.

The only reason he lost his legs is because he drank his diabetes into a worse condition.

I don't think Mr. Santo's personal habits outside of the game have much to do with his hall consideration...

twentywontowin
12-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't think Mr. Santo's personal habits outside of the game have much to do with his hall consideration...

I just edited it.

I can't feel bad for a guy who brings a lot of his troubles upon himself.

jabrch
12-09-2008, 02:23 PM

It shouldn't - but if you read his interview this morning, he specifically used it as an arguement for why he SHOULD be in the HOF. And his fans almost always bring it up.

Having Diabetes is not a reason to get in the HOF, and drinking too much is not a reason to keep him out.

Marqhead
12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I just edited it.

I can't feel bad for a guy who brings a lot of his troubles upon himself.

I don't feel bad for him either, and he annoys the hell out of me as a person. My Dad (a Sox fan) watched him play and feels he should be in the hall, I look at his numbers and I'm unimpressed, and obviously the general consensus on this board is he doesn't deserve it.

Marqhead
12-09-2008, 02:25 PM
It shouldn't - but if you read his interview this morning, he specifically used it as an arguement for why he SHOULD be in the HOF. And his fans almost always bring it up.

Having Diabetes is not a reason to get in the HOF, and drinking too much is not a reason to keep him out.

Excellent post. It's unfortunate that he uses it to try and bolster his argument, and you are right on both accounts.

Oblong
12-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Not that it's right to use diabetes as a reason to get in, but one of Santo's biggest drawbacks to HOF candidacy is the fact that he flamed out at age 34. Having diabetes in an age where it was much harder to treat can explain why. Even still his numbers are probably 6th or 7th best for 3B all time. Does that mean its a screw job that he's not in? No. But he certainly has the qualifications to be a HOFer in my mind. Dick Allen is probably a worse omission though.

Is he using the diabetes as an excuse or that it should be taken into consideration?

Sorry but it's no different than an injury. Albert Belle may have been a HOFer if his hip didn't go out. Same with Bo Jackson.

RKMeibalane
12-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Is there any limit to this man's whining? Apparently not, as he continues to bitch and moan about being left out of the HOF. He really needs to give it a rest, as there are fewer and fewer people now who feel sorry for him, and more who just want him to disappear- myself among them.

Scottiehaswheels
12-09-2008, 02:39 PM
They should see how badly he really wants to get in by taunting him saying he'd have to wear a Sox hat into the Hall. Think he'd still do it? :tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Is he using the diabetes as an excuse or that it should be taken into consideration?

Yeah, that's what he's saying

UofCSoxFan
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Sorry but it's no different than an injury. Albert Belle may have been a HOFer if his hip didn't go out. Same with Bo Jackson.

That was pretty much my point. You can't conjure up what he may have done. You need to look at what he actually did. There are plenty of players, if not for injury, being drafted into World War II or Vietnam, being barred from playing due to the color of their skin or country of birth, that may have been amongst the best of all time but unfortunately we will nevere know.

Hell, who knows what an El Duque Hernandez or Jose Contreras would have done had they made it to the US before their late 20s/early 30s.

soxinem1
12-09-2008, 05:26 PM
They should see how badly he really wants to get in by taunting him saying he'd have to wear a Sox hat into the Hall. Think he'd still do it? :tongue:

http://static.baseballtoaster.com/blogs/cardboardgods/images/2007/RonSanto75.jpg

Talk about a forced smile.

No way!!!!!!!

RKMeibalane
12-09-2008, 07:48 PM
The irony is, I have the feeling that with all of the whining he has done, he may not even be able to enjoy it if he does eventually receive enough votes for induction. Either way, I can't stand people who shamelessly "blow their own horn," rather than allowing their numbers to speak for themselves.

Jerome
12-09-2008, 11:33 PM
lolololol

johnr1note
12-10-2008, 06:36 AM
My Dad's nickname for Santo was "king of the warning track flyball." He was a good ball player in his prime, but that's all.

whitesox901
12-10-2008, 06:53 AM
lol @ Santo

ChiSoxFan81
12-10-2008, 02:10 PM
He should be inducted to the Hall of Lame.

Marqhead
12-10-2008, 02:13 PM
he should be inducted to the hall of lame.

hi-yo!

russ99
12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
That was pretty much my point. You can't conjure up what he may have done. You need to look at what he actually did. There are plenty of players, if not for injury, being drafted into World War II or Vietnam, being barred from playing due to the color of their skin or country of birth, that may have been amongst the best of all time but unfortunately we will nevere know.

Hell, who knows what an El Duque Hernandez or Jose Contreras would have done had they made it to the US before their late 20s/early 30s.

Sheesh. Look at Minnie Minoso. He'd deserve it too, if you took his Cuban league and Negro league numbers into account.

I for one love that the Veterans Committee is full of hard ass ex-ballplayers with old grudges. Not everyone belongs in the Hall. IMO too many borderline players get in already.

By the Santo fans' reasoning, Robin Ventura belongs in the Hall too. Robin was a fun guy to watch, and put up some really nice numbers, but I think we all know he's not getting into the Hall of Fame. Now if Frank gets stiffed 20 years from now, we'd have a real beef.

soxinem1
12-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Sheesh. Look at Minnie Minoso. He'd deserve it too, if you took his Cuban league and Negro league numbers into account.

I for one love that the Veterans Committee is full of hard ass ex-ballplayers with old grudges. Not everyone belongs in the Hall. IMO too many borderline players get in already.

By the Santo fans' reasoning, Robin Ventura belongs in the Hall too. Robin was a fun guy to watch, and put up some really nice numbers, but I think we all know he's not getting into the Hall of Fame. Now if Frank gets stiffed 20 years from now, we'd have a real beef.

Exactly. Robin may have been the best 3B in team history, especially in terms of length, and he was one of the better 3B in the league, but when all was said and done, Robin is not HOF material. Like Graig Nettles, who had great power, was very solid defensively, and won a few World Series rings, but couldn't hit .250 for a career.

Hello Santo? Can you hear me?

thomas35forever
12-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I could of sworn that when the Cubs retired his number he said he no longer needed the hall of fame, that the Cubs retiring his number was his hall of fame.
That's exactly what he said. You know he was just trying to please the fans that love him just because he's Ron Santo. In their book, anything he says deserves engraving somewhere because he is the Second Coming of Christ and anything he says goes.

Chez
12-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm old enough to remember Santo in his prime. He was a really good player -- far better player than broadcaster. I think a lot of posters' views on Santo's Hall worthiness are based primarlily on his broadcasting skills (or lack therof) and his affiliation with the Cubs. And while Santo was a really good player, until Jim Kaat and Bert Blyleven are elected to the HOF, then Santo really has no beef.

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm old enough to remember Santo in his prime. He was a really good player -- far better player than broadcaster.

I'm a better player than he is broadcaster and I suck.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm old enough to remember Santo in his prime. He was a really good player -- far better player than broadcaster. I think a lot of posters' views on Santo's Hall worthiness are based primarlily on his broadcasting skills (or lack therof) and his affiliation with the Cubs. And while Santo was a really good player, until Jim Kaat and Bert Blyleven are elected to the HOF, then Santo really has no beef.I'm considerably older than you, and I remember him primarily as being a guy who got big hits when it didn't matter. When I was in high school, I used to make money betting my Cubs fan friends that when Santo came up immediately after Williams got a big hit (especially a home run) he'd either strike out or pop up, because he'd swing wildly trying to match Williams. He didn't let me down often.

Frontman
12-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Santo needs to go away. He's a terrible announcer, and would make a lousy HoF member. To me, I look at many in the Hall as ambassadors to the game. Considering how many people Santo POed over the decades?

He's no ambassador.

RKMeibalane
12-10-2008, 05:20 PM
One additional piece of information: based on Santo's profile (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/santoro01.shtml) on Baseball Reference, the player he compares most favorably with is Adrian Beltre. I'd love to hear Santo explain how he thinks that Beltre belongs in the HOF when his career ends. OTOH, Santo's baseball knowledge is extremely limited, and he may not even know who Beltre is.

Red Barchetta
12-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I've told my Cub-loving friends many times that if Ron Santo played for the KC Royals, Montreal Expos or some other franchise outside of Chicago, NY or LA, he wouldn't even be on the list. It's the Cubs aura that carried him this far.

Nice guy, good player but not HOF. Just like Robin Ventura, Mark Grace, etc.

jabrch
12-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I've told my Cub-loving friends many times that if Ron Santo played for the KC Royals, Montreal Expos or some other franchise outside of Chicago, NY or LA, he wouldn't even be on the list. It's the Cubs aura that carried him this far.

Nice guy, good player but not HOF. Just like Robin Ventura, Mark Grace, etc.

NO

If he were a nice guy, he'd be in by now. He was a major douche. The media hated him. His peers generally disliked him. He was hated by fans of the game outside of the 8-10K who showed up at Wrigley during his time.

Other than not being good enough, Santo's biggest problem that will keep him out of the HOF, is...... RON SANTO.

Over his lifetime, he's has been a royal douche. Only in the past 10-15 years has he tried to build this nice-guy image and try to get into the HOF. If he would have been more concerned about his image when he was playing, he'd be there by now.

He's no worse than some of the lewst tier HOFers. But that's not the criteria that most HOFers use to evaluate entry.

soxinem1
12-10-2008, 06:23 PM
NO

If he were a nice guy, he'd be in by now. He was a major douche. The media hated him. His peers generally disliked him. He was hated by fans of the game outside of the 8-10K who showed up at Wrigley during his time.

Other than not being good enough, Santo's biggest problem that will keep him out of the HOF, is...... RON SANTO.

Over his lifetime, he's has been a royal douche. Only in the past 10-15 years has he tried to build this nice-guy image and try to get into the HOF. If he would have been more concerned about his image when he was playing, he'd be there by now.

He's no worse than some of the lewst tier HOFers. But that's not the criteria that most HOFers use to evaluate entry.

I'd say that is even a stretch. He can't act human as recently as 15 minutes ago.

Lundind1
12-10-2008, 06:35 PM
As a broadcaster, I just can't get over the fact that when something bad happens all he can do is scream, "OHHHHHHH UHHHHHHHH". You're paid to announce the games. We got all worked up over Chris Singleton but at least he called the games so that I knew what the heck was going on.

I'd say from his playing career, the number are pretty much average for the era that he played in.

I just don't think that he belongs in the hall. But of course the media Bias in this town just keeps harping away at it till they get what all the douchie fans want, the ones who have no clue in HELL of what they are talking about. He's our lovable Loser just perfect to go with our team. Give me a break!!!

BainesHOF
12-11-2008, 12:08 PM
This thread is like 7-11...too much good stuff!

Red Barchetta
12-11-2008, 12:32 PM
As a broadcaster, I just can't get over the fact that when something bad happens all he can do is scream, "OHHHHHHH UHHHHHHHH". You're paid to announce the games. We got all worked up over Chris Singleton but at least he called the games so that I knew what the heck was going on.

I'd say from his playing career, the number are pretty much average for the era that he played in.

I just don't think that he belongs in the hall. But of course the media Bias in this town just keeps harping away at it till they get what all the douchie fans want, the ones who have no clue in HELL of what they are talking about. He's our lovable Loser just perfect to go with our team. Give me a break!!!

As a SOX fan, his complete breakdown in Milwaukee a few years ago after the Cub left fielder (I forget his name for obvious reasons) dropped the fly ball forcing another Cub collapse, comes in second only to the infamous Lee Elia tirade. :D:

soxinem1
12-11-2008, 02:23 PM
As a SOX fan, his complete breakdown in Milwaukee a few years ago after the Cub left fielder (I forget his name for obvious reasons) dropped the fly ball forcing another Cub collapse, comes in second only to the infamous Lee Elia tirade. :D:

The player you are thinking of was cub immortal Brant Brown, who was supposed to make cub fans forget Billy Williams ever existed, with his sweet swing and power potential.

That claim did fool PIT and they gave up Jon Leiber for him.

Too bad it never happened that way, just like Mike Harkey, Lance Dickson, Ty Griffin, their World Series dreams, and other flash in the pan players they thought would lead them to the promised land.

white sox bill
12-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Can someone refresh my memory here--didn't Ronnie WO WO basically end Don Youngs promising carrer? Didn't santo case on him and berate him in front of an audience, therefore destroying his confidence? Do I have this right?

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Can someone refresh my memory here--didn't Ronnie WO WO basically end Don Youngs promising carrer? Didn't santo case on him and berate him in front of an audience, therefore destroying his confidence? Do I have this right?That's the story.

soxinem1
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Can someone refresh my memory here--didn't Ronnie WO WO basically end Don Youngs promising carrer? Didn't santo case on him and berate him in front of an audience, therefore destroying his confidence? Do I have this right?

According to my brother the cub fan, it happened in 1965, when as a 18 or 19 year old rookie, Young couldn't buy a hit.

Santo 'encouraged' him like a veteran should by ripping a new ass into him.

I sort of wish that rookie was this guy:

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/Milton%20Bradley%20Mugshot.jpg

Then Ronnie would have lost his legs by having the rookie break them, and put him in his place!!!

ChiSoxLifer
12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
He just needs to get over it. Now he wants to reform the committee? He really thinks he should be in the Hall with the likes of George Brett, Mike Schmidt, and Wade Boggs?

Seriously, Santo. Just go build your own Hall of Fame and keep everyone else out.

Chez
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
According to my brother the cub fan, it happened in 1965, when as a 18 or 19 year old rookie, Young couldn't buy a hit.

Santo 'encouraged' him like a veteran should by ripping a new ass into him.

It was 1969. Don Young dropped two fly balls in center in a game against the Mets at Shea. Santo berated him in the clubhouse and in the media and campaigned for Jim Hickman to take over in center. Young's confidence was shot and, well, we all know how the 1969 season turned out for the Cubs.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
He's become pathetic. :whiner:

pythons007
12-11-2008, 07:21 PM

:woo-woo Hey I'm Ronnie Woo Woo