PDA

View Full Version : Youthful Success

HBaines03
12-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Did last years success of Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, John Danks, and Gavin Floyd push KW towards the current youth movement he has produced to date? The more I read KW's comments now the more I see how firm he stood about John Danks and Gavin Floyd in the rotation last year. I really get the feeling that Marquez, Richard & Poreda will battle it out for the last 2 remaining spots. Apparently they feel very strong about Homer Bailey competing for one of those spots as well but just have not gotten the deal done. I believe they feel confident in Getz and Lillibridge for 2nd base & Fields at 3rd. If Dye does get traded I could see Anderson in CF and Owens in LF with Quentin shifting to RF. I really want to believe he has something up his sleeve but it is looking more and more like "trust me this will work out" type talk I keep seeing from KW. Thoughts........

oeo
12-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Did last years success of Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, John Danks, and Gavin Floyd push KW towards the current youth movement he has produced to date?

He wanted to do it at the deadline in 2007 when he was trying to unload Buehrle, Dye, Contreras, etc. No one would give him what he wanted, though.

Madscout
12-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Did last years success of Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, John Danks, and Gavin Floyd push KW towards the current youth movement he has produced to date? The more I read KW's comments now the more I see how firm he stood about John Danks and Gavin Floyd in the rotation last year. I really get the feeling that Marquez, Richard & Poreda will battle it out for the last 2 remaining spots. Apparently they feel very strong about Homer Bailey competing for one of those spots as well but just have not gotten the deal done. I believe they feel confident in Getz and Lillibridge for 2nd base & Fields at 3rd. If Dye does get traded I could see Anderson in CF and Owens in LF with Quentin shifting to RF. I really want to believe he has something up his sleeve but it is looking more and more like "trust me this will work out" type talk I keep seeing from KW. Thoughts........I sure as hell hope not.

oeo
12-09-2008, 07:32 AM
I sure as hell hope not.

What about Getz/Lillibridge and Anderson have you more confident than Fields? Is it that Fields has actually shown major league potential and the other three have not?

Tragg
12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
and Owens in LF
Owens can't field and he can't hit.

kittle42
12-09-2008, 09:40 AM
He only has 50 cents.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Going young is the flavor of the week because of what happened last year.

And fans are buying it because of the success we had last year.

I'm not buying it. In my years of being a Sox fan I have seen more Youth movement flops than I have seen success stories.

Madscout
12-09-2008, 10:55 AM
What about Getz/Lillibridge and Anderson have you more confident than Fields? Is it that Fields has actually shown major league potential and the other three have not?
I don't like the idea of having no glove at 3rd, and I just don't like Fields. We don't need another strike out wanna be slugger in our lineup who doesn't have another tool to go along with it. I can deal with, and I think the Sox can deal with Anderson in CF (yes, even though he strikes out, but he would be our #9 where Fields would be 7 or so) for a solid year (yes, I know you disagree, but this dead horse has been beaten in the ground. Let's just agree to disagree). I understand Getz/Lillibridge, but I just don't feel that 2b is that hard of a position to play, and is easier to fill from the outside this year than CF or 3rd.

soxfan43
Going young is the flavor of the week because of what happened last year.

And fans are buying it because of the success we had last year.

I'm not buying it. In my years of being a Sox fan I have seen more Youth movement flops than I have seen success stories.

Exactly. Last year was more of an abberation. I just hope Kenny's comments are just a smokescreen.

Madscout
Owens can't field and he can't hit.
Nor will he stay healthy for a full year.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
HBaines says: "I really want to believe he has something up his sleeve but it is looking more and more like "trust me this will work out" type talk I keep seeing from KW."

Well I hope it works out better for Kenny then the "trust me" statement that Lovie put out! That's not going exactly great guns for him is it?

LOL

Lip

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Exactly. Last year was more of an abberation. I just hope Kenny's comments are just a smokescreen.

Add the fact that the guys who had success last year were "blue chip" prospects (Danks, Gavin, Quentin).

Only Flowers can come close to any of those guys, and he is still a year or two away because he will either DH or play 1B.

So where are my blue chip prospects for the #4 and #5 spot in the roation? We have none. The only thing close is Poreda, and he is more than likely headed to the bullpen.

The starting rotation right now has the makings of a disaster 2009.

cbrownson13
12-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Add the fact that the guys who had success last year were "blue chip" prospects (Danks, Gavin, Quentin).

Only Flowers can come close to any of those guys, and he is still a year or two away because he will either DH or play 1B.

So where are my blue chip prospects for the #4 and #5 spot in the roation? We have none. The only thing close is Poreda, and he is more than likely headed to the bullpen.

The starting rotation right now has the makings of a disaster 2009.

Agreed. I don't think Buehrle - Danks - Floyd is as sure of a thing as everyone would like to think. We all love Buehrle -- my favorite player -- but he's not a number one. Danks and Floyd are both coming off fantastic seasons where they threw a ton of innings and pitches. That bothers me. A lot. Granted, this may be just pessimism on my part, but the Sox are going through this assuming that those three are going to be locks at having repeat years. Buehrle, we probably know what we are getting. But are Danks and Floyd really legitimate #2/#3 starters? I'd hate to think what this team will look like if they falter and we have Marquez/Poreda/Broadway as out 4th and 5th starters. That would be a 90 loss team.

Tragg
12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Nor will he stay healthy for a full year.

That's the one good thing about him - he's injury prone.

LoveYourSuit
12-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Agreed. I don't think Buehrle - Danks - Floyd is as sure of a thing as everyone would like to think. We all love Buehrle -- my favorite player -- but he's not a number one. Danks and Floyd are both coming off fantastic seasons where they threw a ton of innings and pitches. That bothers me. A lot. Granted, this may be just pessimism on my part, but the Sox are going through this assuming that those three are going to be locks at having repeat years. Buehrle, we probably know what we are getting. But are Danks and Floyd really legitimate #2/#3 starters? I'd hate to think what this team will look like if they falter and we have Marquez/Poreda/Broadway as out 4th and 5th starters. That would be a 90 loss team.

Dead on right there.

We are putting a ton of expectations on Danks and Gavin repeating what they did last year. You can add Quentin and Ramirez to it too. Many are expecting Quentin to repeat his performance from last year, if he loses Dye as his protection, I don't know. And if you give up Dye and Paulie in this youth movement, you are adding all that more preassure to Quentin.

PalehosePlanet
12-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Did last years success of Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, John Danks, and Gavin Floyd push KW towards the current youth movement he has produced to date? The more I read KW's comments now the more I see how firm he stood about John Danks and Gavin Floyd in the rotation last year. I really get the feeling that Marquez, Richard & Poreda will battle it out for the last 2 remaining spots. Apparently they feel very strong about Homer Bailey competing for one of those spots as well but just have not gotten the deal done. I believe they feel confident in Getz and Lillibridge for 2nd base & Fields at 3rd. If Dye does get traded I could see Anderson in CF and Owens in LF with Quentin shifting to RF. I really want to believe he has something up his sleeve but it is looking more and more like "trust me this will work out" type talk I keep seeing from KW. Thoughts........

If Dye is traded, I think Kenny will go the cheap, semi young route and sign Juan Rivera (or someone like him) for LF.

I don't think there is any way in hell Jerry Owens makes this team. Everyone in these threads rips on Dewayne Wise, but IMO he's a very good bench player --- so long as Ozzie understands that he indeed is a bench player.

As far as the FA's go, due to the economy -- or baseball's excuse as such --- there will be many good players that will sign contracts that are under market value. Too bad we won't take advantage of this circumstance.

guillensdisciple
12-09-2008, 02:28 PM
HBaines says: "I really want to believe he has something up his sleeve but it is looking more and more like "trust me this will work out" type talk I keep seeing from KW."

Well I hope it works out better for Kenny then the "trust me" statement that Lovie put out! That's not going exactly great guns for him is it?

LOL

Lip

I have yet to hear Kenny say:

"We are splitting the season up into four 40.5 game season."

"Now this has turned into a 60 game season"

"We were beat in every facet of the game, but that is okay, that is why there is always next week."

I don't think Kenny would ever say stuff like this, ha, Ozzie would bash him if he said it.

btrain929
12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
If Dye is traded, I think Kenny will go the cheap, semi young route and sign Juan Rivera (or someone like him) for LF.

I don't think there is any way in hell Jerry Owens makes this team. Everyone in these threads rips on Dewayne Wise, but IMO he's a very good bench player --- so long as Ozzie understands that he indeed is a bench player.

Sad to say, but as of right now, he might be our opening day CF and leadoff hitter.