PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers sign Loretta

Sockinchisox
12-08-2008, 11:41 PM
http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/loretta_dodgers_agree_to_deal.html

WhiteSoxFan84
12-08-2008, 11:53 PM
This one bothers me. 1 year, 1.4mill for a .297/.361/.399 career hitter who is old, yes, but last year (in limited playing time) he went .280/.350/.383 (261 ABs) and the year before he went .287/.352/.372 (460 ABs).

definitely someone i would've loved at second base for our white sox for next to nothing. i know he's not the greatest fielder but a veteran to start the year at second and if he gets injured and/or completely stinks up the joint, you can bench him, trade him, or just release him.

oeo
12-09-2008, 12:02 AM
This one bothers me. 1 year, 1.4mill for a .297/.361/.399 career hitter who is old, yes, but last year (in limited playing time) he went .280/.350/.383 (261 ABs) and the year before he went .287/.352/.372 (460 ABs).

definitely someone i would've loved at second base for our white sox for next to nothing. i know he's not the greatest fielder but a veteran to start the year at second and if he gets injured and/or completely stinks up the joint, you can bench him, trade him, or just release him.

Well, I thought Loretta wanted to stay westward.

Tragg
12-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Getz will be fine.
Loretta has no power either. You can't play Loretta ahead of a young player...you'll never develop squat that way. That's like playing Darin Erstad ahead of.....

WHILEPITCH
12-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Getz will be fine.
Loretta has no power either. You can't play Loretta ahead of a young player...you'll never develop squat that way. That's like playing Darin Erstad ahead of.....

Three posts into the thread, the inevitable Erstad comparison comes out.

But it's true... this isnt a year to stopgap at that position. Getz needs a chance.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Well, I thought Loretta wanted to stay westward.

if that's the case and he wouldn't have even given us a chance to talk to him then i can't fault kenny for not trying.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Three posts into the thread, the inevitable Erstad comparison comes out.

But it's true... this isnt a year to stopgap at that position. Getz needs a chance.

and if he sucks and/or isnt ready? "we'd bring up beckham", and what if beckham isn't ready? "we have lance nix", who has proven what? that he can't even hit in colorado?

the only excuse ill accept is that he wouldnt want to play for us. nothing else makes sense.

WhiteSox5187
12-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Getz will be fine.
Yea, cuz this team has a lack of power hitters.

I don't understand why everyone is in love with the idea of having a guy with 30 HR potential at every position. Some positions you sacrafice power for defense and speed (ideally the ability to get on base comes with that speed!). I just think it's a lousy way of looking at a guy "oh, he doesn't have power..."

Sorry, this isn't so much aimed at you Tragg as just a rant in general...I'm tired!

BadBobbyJenks
12-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Why does anyone care that we are not the ones to sign a 37 year old second basemen with no speed or power?

Konerko05
12-09-2008, 02:49 AM
Are people really upset the Sox didn't sign Mark Loretta?

Loretta is essentially an old worn down version of Chris Getz.

Like Tragg said, Loretta isn't good enough to stunt Getz's development.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2008, 03:01 AM

are you ****ing kidding me?
getz has 7 career at-bats. seven.
loretta has 5,631. five thousand, six hundred, thirty-one.
come on man. if you guys want to give the young kids a try, ok, that's a reason i can live with. but "loretta is essentially an old worn down version of chris getz"? you sound like a cubs fan.

SoxGirl4Life
12-09-2008, 03:02 AM

I'm people, and I'm not upset. That being said, its way past my bedtime.

Konerko05
12-09-2008, 03:23 AM
you sound like a cubs fan.

You sound like Dusty Baker.

I believe Chris Getz can at least perform as well Loretta in 2009.

If the Sox are going to block Chris Getz, I'd rather have it be a player without the same skill set approaching 40 years old.

Loretta really doesn't have any strenghts at the moment besides being adaquate. I'd rather take my chances with Getz.