PDA

View Full Version : Winter Meetings - what do you think is going to happen?

Rockabilly
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1315528,CST-SPT-deluca05.article

Any predictions what might happen next week...

I say that Dye will be traded to the Reds for Homer Bailey and Dickerson and KW will sign Brad Penny..

doublem23
12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know what teams JD is allowed to block trades to?

SoxFan88
12-05-2008, 04:15 PM

I say that Dye will be traded to the Reds for Homer Bailey and Dickerson and KW will sign Brad Penny..

I'm hoping for that Dye trade too... but I'd rather see Randy Johnson as the free agent SP

voodoochile
12-05-2008, 04:32 PM

There aren't enough speculation threads in WTS including one about this very trade? You have to start another one in TB under the laughable excuse that you just want to talk about the winter meetings?

PorkChopExpress
12-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I predict we will trade Dye for prospects and turn around and bundle some of those prospects with some of the ones already acquired and finally make the trade for Carl Crawford.

btrain929
12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know what teams JD is allowed to block trades to?

There's six teams, and I've heard that four of them are the Phillies, Mets, Yankees, and Red Sox. The other two are also believed to be on the East Coast. Maybe BAL and WAS?

hi im skot
12-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Meetings...?

:shrug:

Rockabilly
12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
speaking of the winter meetings has anyone ever been to one...

if so do they restrict access to certain parts of the hotel. I am thinking about driving to vegas this weekend

I believe next year the winter meetings are in Indy

btrain929
12-05-2008, 04:46 PM
speaking of the winter meetings has anyone ever been to one...

if so do they restrict access to certain parts of the hotel. I am thinking about driving to vegas this weekend

I believe next year the winter meetings are in Indy

Well I'm sure they restrict access to certain parts of the hotel. They won't let you walk into the meeting rooms to kick up your feet and listen in on the dealing. :D:

But I do have friends that go to these meetings to get autographs from GM's, players that show up, etc, so I know the public do have access to these things.

If it is in Indy next year, I'll definitely consider that.

Domeshot17
12-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I predict the Rebuild Continues.

rdwj
12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing substantial will happen.

Rockabilly
12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Well I'm sure they restrict access to certain parts of the hotel. They won't let you walk into the meeting rooms to kick up your feet and listen in on the dealing. :D:

But I do have friends that go to these meetings to get autographs from GM's, players that show up, etc, so I know the public do have access to these things.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2433536

Lundind1
12-05-2008, 06:54 PM

I could use some ringers on next years men's league softball team ala Monte Burns here.

4 points
12-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Meetings...?

:shrug:

Excessive drinking.:gulp::gulp::gulp:

4 points
12-06-2008, 05:09 AM
I could use some ringers on next years men's league softball team ala Monte Burns here.

Swisher should be available by then.:bandance:

Rocky Soprano
12-06-2008, 10:20 AM
There aren't enough speculation threads in WTS including one about this very trade? You have to start another one in TB under the laughable excuse that you just want to talk about the winter meetings?

:wink:

The amount of new threads about speculations is beyond crazy!

Scottiehaswheels
12-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I didn't know the Winter meetings were down here next year.. Awesome! I'll have to check it out if I can.

Tragg
12-06-2008, 10:57 AM
If Cabrera accepts arbitration, we'll trade him to the Dodgers.

Bobby Jenks will be traded to a team that hasn't been mentioned: my off the wall prediction is the Orioles.

Jermaine Dye be traded to the Reds for an underwhelming package.

We'll sign at least one pitcher that "Coop will fix" and perhaps an outfielder. The pitching signee will come late, toward the spring.

Guys like Fields will not be traded - the organization needs to keep its young hitters, as Konerko and Thome will roll off in the next few years.

Make book on it, and then live happily everafter with the loan shark of your choice.

getonbckthr
12-06-2008, 11:20 AM
There always seems to be a "What the ****" moment. I'm guessing (maybe not all next week) Anaheim signs Sabathia and trades for Prince Fielder.

guillensdisciple
12-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing substantial will happen.

I will cry all the way to spring training if that happens....

:whiner::whiner::whiner:

soxfanreggie
12-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't mind sending feelers out to Furcal for a short-term (1-2 year deal), but I really want us to take a look at bringing Randy Johnson here. He doesn't have a Chicago jersey up on his wall yet, and we do have the #51 open on our roster. He's someone who can step in and pitch 150+ innings with almost a K per inning and even potentially an ERA under 4. We could get him for a decent amount I'm betting, and he would probably be a decent draw still. He'd also be good to have around all the young guys. Nolan Ryan helped tutor him and turn his career into something special. Maybe he'd do the same thing here.

I will also be wowed with the humongous contracts given to Teixeira, Sabathia, and Burnett. I'm also interested to see what kind of deal K-Rod gets, if it's more than 3 or 4 years.

DSpivack
12-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Braves offer AJ Burnett 4 years, 15 per, with a 5th year option.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/baseball-insider/

SoxNation05
12-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Braves offer AJ Burnett 4 years, 15 per, with a 5th year option.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/baseball-insider/

:o:

4 points
12-07-2008, 02:30 AM

If Kenny saw the youtube video with Brian Anderson and Penny, I doubt Penny will be coming here anytime soon.:gulp::gulp::gulp:

cws05champ
12-07-2008, 07:18 AM
I predict people will meet with other people and some other people will sign contracts. :smile:

Metalthrasher442
12-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I honestly don't know.

So was there this many threads about the Winter meetings last off season?

Sockinchisox
12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't think anything is going to happen.

I don't know why, I just have a feeling.

oeo
12-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I honestly don't know.

So was there this many threads about the Winter meetings last off season?

Probably. It's the most exciting time of the offseason.

4 points
12-08-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't think anything is going to happen.

I don't know why, I just have a feeling.

Comcast MLB channel isn`t due to start untill Jan 1st, 3 weeks after the meetings, maybe they no something.:scratch::scratch::scratch:

doublem23
12-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Comcast MLB channel isn`t due to start untill Jan 1st, 3 weeks after the meetings, maybe they no something.:scratch::scratch::scratch:

MLB Network doesn't launch until Jan. 1.

Rockabilly
12-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I am here at the winter meetings... I just check into the Bellagio..

haven't seen any baseball people yet..

Marqhead
12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
I am here at the winter meetings... I just check into the Bellagio..

haven't seen any baseball people yet..

Alright! Now WSI has its own on-site reporter!!!

I fully expect rumor threads to double, no check that, triple.

Rocky Soprano
12-08-2008, 10:00 AM

:whiner::whiner::whiner:

beasly213
12-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't know why but I see Sabathia staying with the Brewers. Probably at about $115 million. I know the yankees are offering a ton more but CC likes to hit and probably sees the ability to stay much more dominate in the NL central instead of the AL East.

I predict AJ Burnett will go to the Braves for too much money and then post a 4.67 ERA in 2009.

I see Manny going to whoever gives him the most money. But I wouldn't doubt him staying in LA.

The White Sox won't trade Dye or Jenks but will sign Orlando Hudson.

Those are my predictions. I would also love the White Sox to sign Randy Johnson but I'm not sure if I see it happening.

hi im skot
12-08-2008, 11:20 AM

At least we've got a reliable source.

(teal implied)

Rockabilly
12-08-2008, 02:28 PM
its been a quiet day so far here at the hotel.. I did get to see a few baseball people..

Haven't seen anyone from the Sox yet...

Rockabilly
12-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Adam Everett signs with the Tigers.. I guess OC won't be going to the motown city...

DSpivack
12-08-2008, 02:42 PM
The Padres owner is in such money trouble that his GM had to drive to Vegas (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3754583&type=blogEntry)?!?! :scratch:

chisoxmike
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Winter Meetings were pretty weak this year. :shrug:

btrain929
12-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I hope, come January 1st, there's still some decent FA's out there that KW can snatch for a good price (Penny, Abreu, Dunn, Koji Uehara, Dennys Reyes, etc).

SoxNation05
12-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I hope, come January 1st, there's still some decent FA's out there that KW can snatch for a good price (Penny, Abreu, Dunn, Koji Uehara, Dennys Reyes, etc).
That is a drop off.

guillensdisciple
12-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, uhhh, nothing happened.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I would also love the White Sox to sign Randy Johnson but I'm not sure if I see it happening.Why do so many Sox fans like seeing completely shot former stars put on a Sox uniform and spend time proving beyond a doubt that they are done, done, done?

voodoochile
12-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Why do so many Sox fans like seeing completely shot former stars put on a Sox uniform and spend time proving beyond a doubt that they are done, done, done?

I don't know if I'd call 11-10 3.91 with 184 IP done. It might not be the Randy Johnson we would like to have, but it would be solid production from a slot that is currently filled with Lance Broadway (or whoever).

Even if he matched his 2006 numbers and posted a 5.01 ERA, he'd probably be over .500 with the Sox hitting behind him and pitching at Comiskey.

Heck having him win 300 in Chicago would be good for a few fans too boot. Nothing wrong with riding a star's milestone to some extra attendance money provided the star isn't purely a gate draw and from the looks of things, RJ still has some life left...

Nellie_Fox
12-12-2008, 02:12 AM
... from the looks of things, RJ still has some life left...He's forty-five freaking years old.

TommyJohn
12-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Why do so many Sox fans like seeing completely shot former stars put on a Sox uniform and spend time proving beyond a doubt that they are done, done, done?

You mean you didn't enjoy the Steve Carlton/George Foster era on the south side? :redneck

NLaloosh
12-12-2008, 08:20 AM
I predict that the Peavy deal doesn't get done and that the Sox do nothing but sign Wilson Betemit.

voodoochile
12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
He's forty-five freaking years old.

It matters not if he can still pitch. If he can post a 4-4.5 ERA and win 300 here next year he'll not only be a draw, he'll give the team some insurance in the 4 slot.

whitesox901
12-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't know if I'd call 11-10 3.91 with 184 IP done. It might not be the Randy Johnson we would like to have, but it would be solid production from a slot that is currently filled with Lance Broadway (or whoever).

Even if he matched his 2006 numbers and posted a 5.01 ERA, he'd probably be over .500 with the Sox hitting behind him and pitching at Comiskey.

Heck having him win 300 in Chicago would be good for a few fans too boot. Nothing wrong with riding a star's milestone to some extra attendance money provided the star isn't purely a gate draw and from the looks of things, RJ still has some life left...

I thought we weren't to talk about that Voodoo :redneck