PDA

View Full Version : Greg Maddux retiring!!!

soxinem1
12-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Effective Monday:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/11154430

Rockabilly
12-05-2008, 03:22 PM
An amazing person on and off the field...

Mr.1Dog
12-05-2008, 03:23 PM
:shrug: I figured as much. He had a great career.

veeter
12-05-2008, 03:25 PM
It was time. Just make sure you wear a Braves hat on your HOF bust. What a stud pitcher.

spawn
12-05-2008, 03:26 PM
An amazing person on and off the field...
Yep. I wish him well in his retirement.

Rockabilly
12-05-2008, 03:26 PM
It was time. Just make sure you wear a Braves hat on your HOF bust. What a stud pitcher.

its up to the league to decide...

soxinem1
12-05-2008, 03:27 PM

This should be an interesting issue. Sure, he had most of his top seasons in ATL, but his CHC ones were nothing to sneeze at.

I wonder which uni he'll be in...........???

sox1970
12-05-2008, 03:28 PM
This should be an interesting issue. Sure, he had most of his top seasons in ATL, but his CHC ones were nothing to sneeze at.

I wonder which uni he'll be in...........???

He won most of his Cy's in Atlanta. He won a ring in Atlanta. Pretty easy decision.

soxfanreggie
12-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Truly an asset to the game of baseball...a true sportsman who gave it his all. I wish Greg the best in retirement, and no matter what team he played for, I always had respect for the way he went about the game.

Here's to you Greg Maddux. We'll see you in Cooperstown! :gulp:

veeter
12-05-2008, 03:31 PM
He won most of his Cy's in Atlanta. He won a ring in Atlanta. Pretty easy decision.Easy in a normal world. If it's up to baseball, he'll go in a cub. And that would be sickening.

doublem23
12-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Easy in a normal world. If it's up to baseball, he'll go in a cub. And that would be sickening.

I would be shocked if he wasn't wearing a Braves hat.

jdm2662
12-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Too bad wins were getting harder to come by. I wanted to see him get to 400.

RKMeibalane
12-05-2008, 05:10 PM
A great player and surefire HOF'er. Thanks, Greg!

SoxNation05
12-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Always been an idol of mine when I'm on the mound.

thomas35forever
12-05-2008, 05:58 PM
The time is right. He's accomplished all he can. A true ambassador to the game and a first-ballot HOFer. Here's to you, Greg.

Oblong
12-05-2008, 06:03 PM
its up to the league to decide...

Actually it's the HOF, not the league, that has the final call.

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Easily a first ballot hall of famer and easily the best pitcher of my generation.

Dan Mega
12-05-2008, 06:16 PM
One of the best pitchers ever.

MHOUSE
12-05-2008, 06:24 PM
The greatest Right-Handed pitcher of all time.

Good luck to him in retirement! :gulp:

LoveYourSuit
12-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Biggest treat to watch pitch, ever. Mussina is 2nd on my list. Just true pitching minds, the both of them.

Oblong
12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
He loved to pitch!

:redneck

PKalltheway
12-05-2008, 10:23 PM
An outstanding career has come to a close. I'm thankful I got the opportunity to see him pitch twice, once with the Braves, and once with the Cubs. Here's to the winningest living pitcher. Here's to the future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux, truly a class act. :gulp:

whitesox901
12-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Heres to you Mad Dog :gulp::gulp::gulp:

BleacherBandit
12-06-2008, 08:04 AM
One of my favorite modern-day players in any sport. I don't remember who once said he looked like an accountant but pitched like a true athlete, but I totally agree. You felt like you were rooting for a guy just like you when you watched him pitch.

Garland_IS_God
12-06-2008, 08:45 AM
How fitting would it be if John Smoltz and Tom Glavine retire, then all three go into the HOF at the same time.

Oblong
12-06-2008, 09:28 AM
I remember listening to somebody who played with him. I dont' remember who it was. He said they were in the dugout and Maddux would tell him where and when the hitter would foul balls. He'd know the location ahead of time. He spotted the pitching and hitting patterns. He finally told the guy, 'You'd better move, next one's coming in here.' and sure enough it did.

TDog
12-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Easy in a normal world. If it's up to baseball, he'll go in a cub. And that would be sickening.

Greg Maddux will be remembered as a member of the Braves. That is what the Hall of Fame will consider when designing his plaque. Carlton Fisk is remembered by most baseball fans for the 1975 World Series, hence the Red Sox cap on the plaque next to an explanation that he played with both the Red Sox and White Sox.

Politics surfaced in the design of Gary Carter's plaque. He went in as an Expo because the Hall of Fame needed something to show that the Expos existed. If Andre Dawson ever gets into the Hall of Fame, he could go in as an Expo to keep Carter company. There is no political reason to put someone in as a Cub.

DoItForDanPasqua
12-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Easily a first ballot hall of famer and easily the best pitcher of my generation.

Agreed. The only one in his league was Pedro; I would have also said Clemens before he became synonymous with shame.

WhiteSox5187
12-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Agreed. The only one in his league was Pedro; I would have also said Clemens before he became synonymous with shame.
There was an article on ESPN today about some guy debating who was better Clemens or Maddux, it's Maddux hands down. Clemens was probably through by 1996 and then was introduced to some *ahem* B-12 shots...Pedro was so dominating when he was on top, but he flamed out rather fast, but Glavine belongs in the same category as Maddux. Smoltz might deserve consideration.

EnglishChiSox
12-07-2008, 07:25 AM
During the stretch run i got to watched a Maddux start commentated on by Vin Scully, what a pleasure that was. Maddux was clearly a class act even at the end of his career.

SOXSINCE'70
12-07-2008, 09:52 AM
A no doubt first ballot hall of famer.
A true professional.Anyone who can pitch for
20 years in this day and age is an amazing person.
He'll be one hell of a pitching coach someday.

Hats off to Greg Maddux.

Craig Grebeck
12-07-2008, 10:05 AM
There was an article on ESPN today about some guy debating who was better Clemens or Maddux, it's Maddux hands down. Clemens was probably through by 1996 and then was introduced to some *ahem* B-12 shots...Pedro was so dominating when he was on top, but he flamed out rather fast, but Glavine belongs in the same category as Maddux. Smoltz might deserve consideration.
Glavine?! Are you kidding me?

Frontman
12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
One class act. I wonder not if he'll be a first-ballot HoF; but what percentage he'll get on the vote. He could possibly go in with the highest percentage in the modern era; and I don't care what anyone says about it, that's something you have to respect.

Glad I got to see him play the game.

WhiteSox5187
12-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Glavine?! Are you kidding me?
I guess 300 wins just ain't what it used to be, huh? :rolleyes:

jabrch
12-07-2008, 02:22 PM
The late movement on Maddux's stuff was INSANE. He was very unique as far as Ps go. I can't think of anyone I saw pitch with his combination of control and of late movement.

Seaver (I think) holds the record for highest % on their first ballot. Maddux may give him a run for his money.

PKalltheway
12-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Seaver (I think) holds the record for highest % on their first ballot. Maddux may give him a run for his money.

Here's the list: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofmem4.shtml

Seaver does hold the highest percentage, by a hair over Nolan Ryan.

DSpivack
12-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Glavine is a HOF pitcher.

Maddux is one of the best ever.

There is a difference.

Craig Grebeck
12-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Not what I said. Maddux is on another level from Glavine.

Rockabilly
12-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Maddux is one of the top 5 pitchers of all time.. He had an amazing career to bad he didn't play for the Sox...

WhiteSox5187
12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Not what I said. Maddux is on another level from Glavine.
They're both three hundred game winners in an era that was dominated by hitters, it's not too far of a stretch to make a comparison between Glavine and Maddux. Maddux is the better pitcher, yes, but both were amazing pitchers who sustained their success over a long period of time as opposed to Pedro who was nasty for a period of time but essentially washed up by the age of 34. Randy Johnson might belong on that list but if I had to choose a pitcher in their prime from this era to start for me on any given day, I'd choose Maddux over Glavine and Glavine over Johnson.

Craig Grebeck
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
They're both three hundred game winners in an era that was dominated by hitters, it's not too far of a stretch to make a comparison between Glavine and Maddux. Maddux is the better pitcher, yes, but both were amazing pitchers who sustained their success over a long period of time as opposed to Pedro who was nasty for a period of time but essentially washed up by the age of 34. Randy Johnson might belong on that list but if I had to choose a pitcher in their prime from this era to start for me on any given day, I'd choose Maddux over Glavine and Glavine over Johnson.
Johnson had a better peak, better ERA, better WHIP, better ERA+, etc.

Frontman
12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Could you imagine being in Cooperstown with that induction class?

getonbckthr
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I would love for Kenny and JR to try to get Maddux to manage one of the minor league teams.

soltrain21
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I love how some of you are pointing out that he is a first ballot HOF as if it would ever be a question.

He is the greatest pitcher to pitch in my lifetime.

areilly
12-08-2008, 04:44 PM
They're both three hundred game winners in an era that was dominated by hitters, it's not too far of a stretch to make a comparison between Glavine and Maddux.

That win number is a bit inflated, as Glavine had the best team in the National League behind him for the bulk of his career. That's not knock against him, just my two cents on what wins really measure.

Put him on the Phillies or Mets for the same stretch and I doubt Glavine's name would be mentioned alongside Maddux'.

jabrch
12-08-2008, 05:08 PM
I would love for Kenny and JR to try to get Maddux to manage one of the minor league teams.

I'd be shocked if Greg wants to spend that much time riding a bus working his way up.

He's a great golfer - It wouldn't surprise me if he takes a few years off to play golf and spend time relaxing. I don't see him jumping right into coaching - certainly not into managing a minor league club. It would be more likely he'd find a major league pitching coach job where he's at least still living large. Going down to managing in the lower levels...that's tough unless that's your amibition. I don't see that being Maddux.