PDA

View Full Version : Dear Brooks Boyer: Please Have The White Sox Wear The '59 Unis On Sundays In 2009.

Thome25
12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
What do you think about this idea? It'll be the 50th anniversary of the 1959 Go-Go Sox in 2009. In 2006 we wore the 1906 unis on Sundays to honor the hitless wonders. I believe we should do the same in 2009 for the '59 Sox.

Do you likey or no likey? Thanks for posting!!:D:

MeteorsSox4367
12-05-2008, 02:07 PM
One of my favorite pictures is from AJ's homer against the Dodgers while wearing the '59 throwbacks.

Great unis, great caps. I even bought one at Grandstand.

Awesome. Bring 'em back.

Nellie_Fox
12-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Only if they're going to wear them right. No "spatting" or "stacking" the pants. They have to have stirrups showing.

jcw218
12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
One of my favorite pictures is from AJ's homer against the Dodgers while wearing the '59 throwbacks.

Great unis, great caps. I even bought one at Grandstand.

Awesome. Bring 'em back.

Here's the picture.

:walkoff:

champagne030
12-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Only if they're going to wear them right. No "spatting" or "stacking" the pants. They have to have stirrups showing.

:geezer:

DSpivack
12-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Not every sunday, but I would love for them to be brought back a few times, especially when the Dodgers return to town in July.

Nellie_Fox
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
:geezer:Exactly.

Noneck
12-05-2008, 02:24 PM
I agree with The Professor. The only uniform deviation in the way the 59 uniform can be worn is Thomes, he has to cut off the sleeves.

LITTLE NELL
12-05-2008, 02:24 PM
59 Sox are my boyhood heroes, its a no-brainer, wear the 59 unis on Sundays.

Thome25
12-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Can someone please get this message to Brooks?

I want Mags back
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Can someone please get this message to Brooks?

Don't bother.

I believe I've read here that special uniforms need to be cleared by the league at least a year prior to them being worn. So either they already done so, or they chose not to at this point. I am almost certain they would have at least 1 of the Dodger games be a '59 night, but it would be great if their plan was to wear them weekly

doublem23
12-05-2008, 04:43 PM
During the Dodger series? Nice.

Every Sunday? Overkill

Lundind1
12-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Don't bother.

I believe I've read here that special uniforms need to be cleared by the league at least a year prior to them being worn. So either they already done so, or they chose not to at this point. I am almost certain they would have at least 1 of the Dodger games be a '59 night, but it would be great if their plan was to wear them weekly

You are correct. I also remember Brooks talking about this WSW last winter and he told the fans of the process that they have to go through to get them approved. It is more than a year in advance.

raven1
12-05-2008, 05:17 PM
During the Dodger series? Nice.

Every Sunday? Overkill

Why during the Dodger series? - They beat the Sox pretty bad that year. Better to wear them when they play teams that haven't even played in a World Series since before 1959.

DSpivack
12-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Why during the Dodger series? - They beat the Sox pretty bad that year. Better to wear them when they play teams that haven't even played in a World Series since before 1959.

Because it worked well last time:

Here's the picture.

:walkoff:

:wink:

Red Barchetta
12-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I like the Throwback idea, however not every Sunday. I liked it when the SOX only wore the black alternate jerseys on Sundays, however those days are long gone.

Personally, I would like to see the SOX-Cubs take advantage of the throwback marketing idea each season for interleague. I would like to see BOTH teams wear throwbacks both home and road for the interleague series. It would be cool if they would then auction off the autographed jerseys afterwards.

Chez
12-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Every Sunday. Those are great uniforms.

PaleHoser
12-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I'd like to see them wear them on Sundays, both home and on the road.

Against the Dodgers, I'd like to see them wear the red, white and blue stirrups just like they did in the World Series.

I also like the idea about having Thome cut off his sleeves.

Lundind1
12-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I like the Throwback idea, however not every Sunday. I liked it when the SOX only wore the black alternate jerseys on Sundays, however those days are long gone.

Personally, I would like to see the SOX-Cubs take advantage of the throwback marketing idea each season for interleague. I would like to see BOTH teams wear throwbacks both home and road for the interleague series. It would be cool if they would then auction off the autographed jerseys afterwards.

Normally you will see a few of the alternates auctioned off from time to time. Most of them are either sold or given away to people who the players want them to have the jerseys.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Thome:

You can e-mail him yourself at bboyer@chisox.com

Lip

Medford Bobby
12-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I still want the Dick Allen-Wilbur Wood era uni's to be seen just once during the 21st Century!......PLEASE!!!!!

http://soxmachine.com/images5/nyman1015.jpg
And have Nyles through out the first pitch!!:bandance:

soxfan21
12-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I'd like to see them wear the throwbacks at least once during the dodgers series, maybe every Sunday. It would also be cool to have a turn back the clock game against the dodgers kinda like what we did the final year at old comiskey.

Nellie_Fox
12-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Against the Dodgers, I'd like to see them wear the red, white and blue stirrups just like they did in the World Series.At the risk of being proven wrong, I don't think they were red, white and blue. Veeck used a predominantly white stirrup (I still think the White Sox ought to wear white socks) with small black and red stripes. The uniforms had a black logo outlined in red. And am I remembering incorrectly that Veeck abandoned them before the end of the series to try to reverse the fortunes?

HomeFish
12-06-2008, 02:57 AM
We already did this in 2005. It turned out about as well as it possibly could have. Why spoil the magic by doing it again?

I've never been a fan of the red jerseys from the 50's and 70's. It just seems unnatural to me for the White Sox to wear red, given that there is also a team called the Red Sox. The 1917 jerseys do look awesome and I look forward to seeing them in 2017.

jcw218
12-06-2008, 03:11 AM
We already did this in 2005. It turned out about as well as it possibly could have. Why spoil the magic by doing it again?

I've never been a fan of the red jerseys from the 50's and 70's. It just seems unnatural to me for the White Sox to wear red, given that there is also a team called the Red Sox. The 1917 jerseys do look awesome and I look forward to seeing them in 2017.

The 1917 World Series jerseys do look awesome. I'm proud to say that I own a replica of the 1917 jersey. The Sox already wore the 1917 World Series jerseys as an alternate uniform for Sunday home games in the 2001 season.

BleacherBandit
12-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Meh, if they do it once or twice a season, It would be fine by me. But every Sunday would just kill the idea. If they did it about as often as they wear the '83 jerseys I wouldn't find a problem with it.

However, I think that next year they should wear the late 80's uniforms with the script, that would be awesome.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Bobby:

From Brooks' interview:

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series. To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th. We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans. (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)

Lip

Jerome
12-06-2008, 04:16 PM
those are great unis

I think it would be awesome though if the 77s got brought out

johnnyg83
12-06-2008, 05:02 PM
How about a homestand week of different eras?

2005 vests

doublem23
12-06-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm sure you've noticed, but we don't have a bountiful array of teams to choose from our World Series history. :cool:

LongLiveFisk
12-06-2008, 07:20 PM
those are great unis

I think it would be awesome though if the 77s got brought out

I thought they would last year with it being the 30-yr anniversary, but I guess not.

On the subject of the '59 uniforms, I wouldn't mind seeing them a couple of times next season, but I think every week would be overkill.

I want Mags back
12-06-2008, 07:30 PM
I thought they would last year with it being the 30-yr anniversary, but I guess not.

On the subject of the '59 uniforms, I wouldn't mind seeing them a couple of times next season, but I think every week would be overkill.

I believe I saw an email from Brooks to someone here saying the team won't commemorate a team that didnt actually win a title of some kind.

Medford Bobby
12-07-2008, 11:37 AM
I believe I saw an email from Brooks to someone here saying the team won't commemorate a team that didnt actually win a title of some kind.

I guess that kills a salute to the 1990 season:angry:

Lip Man 1
12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Maggs:

Read earlier in this thread.

Lip

whitesox901
12-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I still want the Dick Allen-Wilbur Wood era uni's to be seen just once during the 21st Century!......PLEASE!!!!!

http://soxmachine.com/images5/nyman1015.jpg
And have Nyles through out the first pitch!!:bandance:
Were the seats at the Old Comiskey red back then?

LITTLE NELL
12-07-2008, 03:27 PM
At the risk of being proven wrong, I don't think they were red, white and blue. Veeck used a predominantly white stirrup (I still think the White Sox ought to wear white socks) with small black and red stripes. The uniforms had a black logo outlined in red. And am I remembering incorrectly that Veeck abandoned them before the end of the series to try to reverse the fortunes?
Nellie, you are not going to be proven wrong, the Sox did go with a white stirrup with stripes for the 59 series.

Jerome
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM

perhaps to further the tribute, Dye would grow an afro?

ala Chet Lemon? (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/ChadFinn/LemonC77.jpg)

esbrechtel
12-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Not every week, just sunday home games...

34 Inch Stick
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Any plan that reduces the number of times they wear the black top softball uniforms would be fine by me.

Thome25
12-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Here is a copy of the email I sent to Brooks today:

Brooks--

Let me just start out by saying that I am a die-hard Chicago White Sox fan and I just wanted to let you know that you are doing a fantastic job reaching out to the fans of the team both young and old.

I'm sending you this message because there has been much discussion in White Sox fan forums about the 50th anniversary of the 1959 Go-Go White Sox cooming up in 2009. Has there been any discussion on ways to commemorate the '59 club?

One way that I'd like to suggest that this happen is for the White Sox to wear the 1959 throwback uniforms on multiple occasions during the 2009 season. The White Sox did this in 2006 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the 1906 "Hitless Wonders" by wearing the 1906 throwback uniform during Sunday home games.

I know that it is the White Sox policy to only honor teams that have actually won a championship but, the 1959 team is still beloved in the hearts of Sox fans. There has been much discussion and support for the White Sox to do exactly the same for the 2009 season and wear the '59 uniform for Sunday home games.

I know there are certain MLB rules that specify that in order to make uniform changes, teams must submit a proposal at least 1 year in advance. Would this apply to the Sox wearing throwbacks?

Also, here is a link to one of the discussions going on concering this topic:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108038 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108038)

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you soon!!

I'll post a response if I recieve one.:D:

chisoxmike
12-08-2008, 03:05 PM
At the end of your letter you should have said "Thanks for responding!!!:D:"

hi im skot
12-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Well played.

Thome25
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM

And to think, I wondered if anyone noticed the "Thanks for posting!! :D:" at the end of all my threads.........now I have to wonder no more!!:smile:

wulfy
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Would the AL Pennant count as a title, I would think so ... but who knows?

FielderJones
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Would the AL Pennant count as a title, I would think so ... but who knows?

Me too; I would think anything commemorated by a banner at the park would qualify as a title.

areilly
12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Me too; I would think anything commemorated by a banner at the park would qualify as a title.

I look forward to this year's salute to the 1994 AL Central champions.

Thank you, thank you I'll be here all week. Try the ribs and be sure to take care of your bartender for the way they've been taking care of you.

thomas35forever
12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
They definitely should wear the uniforms at some point this year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the '59 team. I think wearing them every Sunday is a little too much though. You don't want to overdo something like that IMO.

ihatethecubs
12-09-2008, 12:23 AM
this is a great idea.

Thome25
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Here was Brooks' response to the email I sent him the other day. It looks like it won't be every Sunday because it is too late to get clearance for that. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't submit a proposal for Sunday home games and waited so late in the game to do the game vs the Dodgers. It looks like MLB still needs to give their approval for a one day program against the Dodgers in 2009. At least they're still trying to do something though:

Thanks for the note and suggestion. We are working on one day against the Dodgers as opposed to every Sunday. We did not submit (we have to do this a year in advance) to wear the uniforms every Sunday. In the case of a one day program, we may be able to get the clearance from MLB to get it done.

We did honor the 1959 team in 2005 when we played the Dodgers for the first time in Chicago since the 1959 World Series and I know that this team has a great deal of relevance for a big piece of our fan base. The unis are also pretty cool.

My hope is that we can get this done. Believe it or not, it is more complicated that it would seem on the surface but I am hopeful we can commemorate the 1959 team’s accomplishments appropriately.

Pitchers and catchers in two months……can’t wait.

All the best,

Brooks

Chez
12-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Here was Brooks' response to the email I sent him the other day. It looks like it won't be every Sunday because it is too late to get clearance for that. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't submit a proposal for Sunday home games and waited so late in the game to do the game vs the Dodgers. It looks like MLB still needs to give their approval for a one day program against the Dodgers in 2009. At least they're still trying to do something though:

Thanks for sharing. Brooks' response begs the question why MLB has an apparently inflexible "one-year in advance submission" rule. Why? Is everyone at MLB so damn busy that they couldn't consider and evaluate a request from the Sox in December? It's not like these uniforms are so different or radical and haven't already been approved. They were presumably approved in 2005 and in 1959! What's the big deal? Why couldn't MLB take about 20 minutes out of its busy schedule to consider and approve a submission (albeit late) that would seem to make lots of fans happy?