PDA

View Full Version : No room for Young in Minnesota outfield?

SoxFan88
12-05-2008, 12:10 PM
http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_11142343?nclick_check=1

GM Bill Smith denies any trade talks, but Gardenhire says he sees his outfield as Cuddyer RF, Gomez CF, and Span LF. Doubt he gets traded (especially to the Sox) but I'm surprised Gardenhire would make the comment... do not think it helps the 23 yr olds confidence.

GAsoxfan
12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't know if Gardenhire is just saying this to motivate Young or what, but I hope the Twins really do sit Young. He's, at worst, their second best outfielder.

doublem23
12-05-2008, 12:41 PM
For an organization that survives because of the good baseball decisions they make, it would be extraordinarily stupid of them to play Cuddyer over Young.

Foulke You
12-05-2008, 01:36 PM
For an organization that survives because of the good baseball decisions they make, it would be extraordinarily stupid of them to play Cuddyer over Young.
I agree. Young looked like a gazelle in LF defensively and has a ton of offensive upside. I seem to remember Ma-Gaga mentioning that Gardy has a man-crush on Cuddyer which sheds some light on this curious decision.

oeo
12-05-2008, 02:19 PM

I say Span instead of Cuddyer. What has Span proven over his career that makes them think he will ever come close to repeating his 2008? Maybe he just turned the corner, but that's a risky move to take.

I hope they do it.

GAsoxfan
12-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I say Span instead of Cuddyer. What has Span proven over his career that makes them think he will ever come close to repeating his 2008? Maybe he just turned the corner, but that's a risky move to take.

I hope they do it.

Cuddyer has already proven he can't play at Span's 2008 level. If I were the Twins, I'd take my chances with the 24 yr old former 1st round pick over Cuddyer.

doublem23
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Cuddyer has already proven he can't play at Span's 2008 level. If I were the Twins, I'd take my chances with the 24 yr old former 1st round pick over Cuddyer.

I agree, we have a warped perception of Cuddyer because he is a pest and kills us, but he's proven to be nothing more than an oft-injured 4th OF. The only surprise from Span was his slugging percentage, even that's a bit exaggerated because he wasn't mashing the ball out of the park, he was taking advantage of the Metrodome and legging out XBH.

oeo
12-05-2008, 04:53 PM

I wouldn't. I don't care if he's a former first round pick...he's never shown that kind of ability throughout his career. Sounds more like a fluke to me.

SoxNation05
12-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Trade him to the NL!

PalehosePlanet
12-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Span strikes me as more of a 4th outfielder who overachieved last year.

Meanwhile, I've read Delmon Young's name in trade rumors over the last month more than any other player. They seem to be trying to score a SS or 3B for him.

Hopefully they deal him and Span falls on his face next year.

whitesox901
12-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Span = Spam

Zisk77
12-06-2008, 10:14 AM

Unfortunately for them they locked cuddyer up to a long-term contract before last year started (same for the m&m boys). Now they can't trade Cuddyer and he makes to much $ to sit on the bench. Now at the trade deadline Cuddyer will probably come cheap. the twins are praying that the Yanks, Bosxo, or mets need his services at the time.

thedudeabides
12-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Obviously, one reason the Twins would consider moving Young is because the value he would bring in return. But, not everyone is as high on Young as everyone on this board. I realize the risk in trading him, as he is only 23, which leaves a ton of time for improvement. But, he hasn't shown much plate discipline or power. Although, he has the skills to be a good outfielder, he often takes bad routes and has been known to be a lazy outfielder. Which got under Gardy's skin last year. The Twins and Rays are two organizations that are well respected for their player development. It tells you something when he could be traded by both in back to back years.