PDA

View Full Version : Giants to introduce dynamic ticket pricing

RockyMtnSoxFan
12-04-2008, 06:33 PM
The cost of tickets to some upper deck sections will be variable from game to game and based on demand.

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/12/02/giants.tickets.ap/index.html)

I think it's interesting. I wonder if it will work? I think this would favor the hard core fans who want to go see their team but don't have season tickets. The Scrubs fans who always show up whenever their team is in town will be paying the higher prices.

DSpivack
12-04-2008, 06:59 PM
How is this different from what the Sox and Cubs already do?

Jpgr91
12-04-2008, 07:52 PM

The article says:

"The Giants have partnered with a software company that will make it possible to quickly change the ticket prices based on the popularity of a given game -- not to mention weather, a possible milestone or a player from a visiting team who brings extra interest."

It sounds like they are able to adjust to the demand of each game. Sounds pretty cool.

DSpivack
12-04-2008, 07:55 PM
The article says:

"The Giants have partnered with a software company that will make it possible to quickly change the ticket prices based on the popularity of a given game -- not to mention weather, a possible milestone or a player from a visiting team who brings extra interest."

It sounds like they are able to adjust to the demand of each game. Sounds pretty cool.

Ahh, okay. Makes sense to me.

Brian26
12-04-2008, 08:01 PM

My thoughts exactly. This is not a new idea, as this system has been in place with the Sox already for several years. The only difference is that the Giants are going to change the prices before each game instead of before the start of the season (maybe weather or the Giants place in the standings will influence the prices). It's just a tweaking of the current Sox system, but it's an improvement for single-game ticket purchasers.

If this system was ever implemented for an entire stadium's seating structure, the season ticket holders should be livid.

LoveYourSuit
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
My thoughts exactly. This is not a new idea, as this system has been in place with the Sox already for several years. The only difference is that the Giants are going to change the prices before each game instead of before the start of the season (maybe weather or the Giants place in the standings will influence the prices). It's just a tweaking of the current Sox system, but it's an improvement for single-game ticket purchasers.

If this system was ever implemented for an entire stadium's seating structure, the season ticket holders should be livid.

Exactly.

Jpgr91
12-04-2008, 09:50 PM

As a season ticket holder, I would not be too upset with this. First, it would allow my team to maximize revenues, hopefully translating to a better product on the field. Second, the prices of the tickets would also escalate as the season went on, not just fall. Assuming season ticket prices are set to maximize sales based on demand prior to the start of the season, I would think the season ticket holder would be treated fairly. This new pricing may be the wave of the future, allowing teams to fill the stadium based on actual demand.

Oblong
12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
I could see initial reaction being negative when people find out they paid $27 for a ticket and are sitting next to someone who paid $23. But at the same time it's no different than airlines or hotels. Their rates are all over the place.

Vernam
12-04-2008, 10:46 PM
I could see initial reaction being negative when people find out they paid $27 for a ticket and are sitting next to someone who paid $23. But at the same time it's no different than airlines or hotels. Their rates are all over the place.And we all know how beloved that has made the airlines. :wink:

Though the marketing angle is to make fans think they're getting a bargain, in good economic times, I bet teams would use it to jack prices way up for popular games. The whole MLB mating dance with Stub Hub is because Selig et al. hate seeing resale profits go to brokers and fans. Anything the teams can do to increase gate receipts, they're going to do, and it's hard to blame them. IMO, the most fair way would be to let the market set the price of what the team actually charges for tix. Right now, that isn't quite the case. But now isn't the greatest time, economically, to put the squeeze on fans.

Vernam

DumpJerry
12-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Why? ST holders already get a break on the box office price. Also, what is to prevent the Sox from giving us a credit for games where the price goes down? I see it happening more in the upward direction. A few April games might go down because of the cold weather, but September games could be pretty expensive for non-ST holders.

MisterB
12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
And we all know how beloved that has made the airlines. :wink:

At least baseball teams don't oversell their games by a percentage to "make up" for no-shows, and then bump you when too many people show up...

ode to veeck
12-05-2008, 01:16 PM
if the Giants suck again this year, maybe we'll see record low prices as the season wears on and nobody's interested anymore

obviously the days the young Cy Young winner is pitching may draw some additional revenue in the short term

chisoxmike
12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Why? ST holders already get a break on the box office price. Also, what is to prevent the Sox from giving us a credit for games where the price goes down? I see it happening more in the upward direction. A few April games might go down because of the cold weather, but September games could be pretty expensive for non-ST holders.

:rolling:

Lundind1
12-06-2008, 12:48 AM

They would have to work out some deal that the ticket prices would be frozen for STH's. I know that there were a ton of people who were pissed at the Blackhawks a few years ago when the team was dumping $80 for $4 just to get people to the games.

I just think that it would take the fun out of the game, going to the park without a ticket and thinking that you can get a ticket for $15 and when you get there it is $35. I just think that a flexible pricing model, one that is adjusted quickly in an instant, other than a published one like the White Sox have will lead to less flexibility in the market palce for walk up customers.

Great idea and concept on paper for the study of the law of supply and demand. But some things look good on paper and perform like **** in the real world and I think this "experiment" will flop like that.