PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think the Missile is headed back to CF?

White City
12-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Instead of using all of these newly acquired middle infielders as trade bait for pitching and a lead-off hitting centerfielder, perhaps Kenny has something else in mind:

1) Alexei back to centerfield.
2) Some combination of the young guys in 2B/SS/3B (unless Cabrera accepts arbitration).
3) Trading BA (the last doghouse member to go), Broadway, and one of the veteran sluggers for a moderately priced #4 starting pitcher plus a decent outfield prospect.
4) Signing a FA corner outfielder with some speed or power (Dunn?) if the veteran traded was Dye.

Payroll gets significantly reduced, but we don't end up with a true lead-off hitter. Like '08, someone hits there out of their comfort zone.

hi im skot
12-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I'd be very surprised...

BainesHOF
12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
While I'm not sure how likely it is, I do think it's a real possibility.

soxinem1
12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I think the odds of Thome or PK going to CF are higher.

If OC stays for some reason and accepts arbitration, he would stay at 2B. If he leaves like most of us hope, he probably goes to SS.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I we don't go out and get a legit CF for next season, I wouldn't be surprised if Alexei sees a few games out there, but he's definitly a SS/2B.

gr8mexico
12-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I we don't go out and get a legit CF for next season, I wouldn't be surprised if Alexei sees a few games out there, but he's definitly a SS/2B.
Who? Is not that easy.

champagne030
12-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Instead of using all of these newly acquired middle infielders as trade bait for pitching and a lead-off hitting centerfielder, perhaps Kenny has something else in mind:

2) Some combination of the young guys in 2B/SS/3B (unless Cabrera accepts arbitration).
3) Trading BA (the last doghouse member to go), Broadway, and one of the veteran sluggers for a moderately priced #4 starting pitcher plus a decent outfield prospect.
4) Signing a FA corner outfielder with some speed or power (Dunn?) if the veteran traded was Dye.

Payroll gets significantly reduced, but we don't end up with a true lead-off hitter. Like '08, someone hits there out of their comfort zone.

So we're going to go with:

3B: Fields/Betemit
SS: Lillibridge
2B: Getz

:puking:

ChiSoxFan81
12-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't see any reason to put him in CF. Everyone is going crazy because we've acquired some infielders. Let's let the offseason play out. It's likely some of these guys will be traded. I'd actually like to see Alexei stay at 2nd personally.

White City
12-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Who? Is not that easy.

Right -- that's my thinking. KW WANTS that centerfielder, but the cost is too great, so he moves Alexei there instead and makes do with this collection of infielders to cover 2B/SS/3B (spring training will sort it out). That just leaves us with dumping some more salary in trading a slugger for a #4 pitcher (with the hope that we can exchange BA for a decent outfield prospect).

voodoochile
12-04-2008, 01:05 PM
The only way Ramirez isn't at SS next year is if OC accepts arbitration, IMO.

Why not see what Getz can do in CF? Often times guys who can play 2B/SS can also play CF because the angles are similar on flyballs/popups. I think the Sox want AR at SS long term, but with Beckham coming, they might leave AR at 2B especially if he plays it this year and matures defensively.

sox1970
12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
The only way Ramirez isn't at SS next year is if OC accepts arbitration, IMO.

Why not see what Getz can do in CF? Often times guys who can play 2B/SS can also play CF because the angles are similar on flyballs/popups. I think the Sox want AR at SS long term, but with Beckham coming, they might leave AR at 2B especially if he plays it this year and matures defensively.

That's what I was thinking about Lillibridge, who actually has played CF in college. Getz played LF last year at Charlotte. Quentin is capable of playing RF. They have options.

12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
That's what I was thinking about Lillibridge, who actually has played CF in college.

I was wondering where the Lillibridge/CF chatter was coming from ... I didn't know he played CF in college. Since he's turned pro I don't believe he's seen any CF time.

But as you suggest, it does provide options.

Sargeant79
12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Interesting theory, but not very likely IMHO.

longtimesoxguy
12-04-2008, 01:44 PM
No chance. He's staying in the infield. If we trade Dye TCQ to right BA to left and KW finds us a CF. The Sox will give BA a shot this year to play everyday.

CashMan
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Why not see what Getz can do in CF?

Because BA will be starting in CF.

sox1970
12-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Because BA will be starting in CF.

:scratch: Who is leading off for this team?

I'm not against BA playing CF and batting 9th if the rest of the offense is good, but they need to get a leadoff man.

CashMan
12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
:scratch: Who is leading off for this team?

I'm not against BA playing CF and batting 9th if the rest of the offense is good, but they need to get a leadoff man.

Who lead off last year? A bum for like 1/3rd of the year and a #2 hitter for the rest of the year.

sox1970
12-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Who lead off last year? A bum for like 1/3rd of the year and a #2 hitter for the rest of the year.

Right. I don't want that to happen again.

BTW, Kenny confirmed today that Alexei is the SS...and that won't change.

esbrechtel
12-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I doubt OC will be the Utility guy though...I wouldn't want to pay a utility guy $10+ million

CashMan
12-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Right. I don't want that to happen again.

BTW, Kenny confirmed today that Alexei is the SS...and that won't change.

Well, Getz sounds like a #2 hitter, then again it is early December. Maybe Kenny went out and got prospects to trade for a leadoff. If he is serious about getting rid of the HR or nothing/slow guys perhaps he will acquire one. Right now it looks like and should be BA in CF. He has good defense and I think given the entire year he will hit no lower than .250, which is think is ok considering the Sox had Uribe in the lineup for soo many years.

CashMan
12-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I doubt OC will be the Utility guy though...I wouldn't want to pay a utility guy $10+ million

Maybe he is saying that so, OC doesn't accept. I can't see Kenny/Ozzie putting him at 2B. And you don't pay OC 8+ mill to sit the bench.

sullythered
12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Plus, isn't that what we got Betemit for?

35th and Shields
12-04-2008, 02:25 PM

I don't see any possible way Alexei's in CF unless OC accepts arbitration. Having that said, it's starting to seem like more of possibility each day of him accepting and if he does he's going to start. No questions asked, to big of a salary. So then our lineup becomes basically the same as last year, with the only changes being BA in for Swish and Fields for Crede/Uribe, to go along with our currently weak rotation.

Right now I could care less what our lineup is. We'll still score a good amount of runs like we always do. We need another good starter or this team will go nowhere.

esbrechtel
12-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Plus, isn't that what we got Betemit for?

Betemit will only play the corners...he will not play SS or 2nd well. I think he is more insurance if Fields really stinks it up...

BadBobbyJenks
12-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Nope, our SS for many many years.

Metalthrasher442
12-04-2008, 06:25 PM
TCM is starting SS no matter what. He proved that he should all of last season, and Ken Williams has already said he is no matter what. OC won't be on the team for much longer and Getz or Nix are a lock for 2B. That's all I know. I do know that as mentioned above.. the Sox have a lot of options as of right now. This is making for a pretty strange off season.

SoxNation05
12-04-2008, 06:50 PM
TCM is starting SS no matter what. He proved that he should all of last season, and Ken Williams has already said he is no matter what. OC won't be on the team for much longer and Getz or Nix are a lock for 2B. That's all I know. I do know that as mentioned above.. the Sox have a lot of options as of right now. This is making for a pretty strange off season.
How?!?! KW has often stated he doesn't want two inexperienced players up the middle.