PDA

View Full Version : The Poreda Era Is About To Begin.

Thome25
12-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Count me as one of the WSIers who doesn't see us picking up a veteran pitcher via trade or free agency. Please don't flame me though because this is just my opinion and I could always be wrong.

In order for us to get a good veteran starter we would have to trade a package of young players away. IMO this undermines what KW is apparently trying to do, which is rebuild our farm system and stock it with good young players so we can build from within.

IMO we're not going to sign anyone. The pitchers that are out there want contracts of 5 years or more and with the White Sox philosophy on pitchers that just isn't going to happen. The ones that would possibly want less than 5 years are either too old or too injured. (See Randy Johnson, Jaime Moyer, and Ben Sheets.)

I can't fault the Sox for not signing a big-name starter though, history has shown that with other teams giving long-term deals to SP is too risky and not very good business at all.

Also, it's been a long time since the White Sox have signed a big-name free agent let alone a big-name free agent pitcher. 1996 was the year....they signed Albert Belle and Jaime Navarro. That's 12 years.....I don't see that changing anytime soon.

With the way KW and other teams scouts have been drooling over Poreda recently in the AFL, I can see him winning a spot out of spring training. IMO this is what KW probably envisions as well.

The starting rotation will probably look something like this next season:

Buehrle
Danks
Floyd
Poreda
Marquez/Clayton Richard (or Homer Bailey? if he's acquired.)

I hope this doesn't make anyone want to puke but, it may be what the 2009 starting rotation looks like.

What do you think? THANKS for posting.:D:

cws05champ
12-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Count me as one of the WSIers who doesn't see us picking up a veteran pitcher via trade or free agency. Please don't flame me though because this is just my opinion and I could always be wrong.

You are....

The ones that would possibly want less than 5 years are either too old or too injured. (See Randy Johnson, Jaime Moyer, and Bed Sheets.)

Bed Sheets wouldn't be too expensive...probably just pick them up at JC Penneys.

The starting rotation will probably look something like this next season:

Buehrle
Danks
Floyd
Poreda
Marquez/Clayton Richard (or Homer Bailey? if he's acquired.)

I hope this doesn't make anyone want to puke but, it may be what the 2009 starting rotation looks like.

What do you think? THANKS for posting.:D:

Too late....(insert overused puke tag)

Scottiehaswheels
12-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I can actually see KW signing Randy Johnson to a 1 year deal. He could get his 300th win here which will draw a decent crowd, and if we get Contreras back in July, it is somewhat insurance in case he sucks and can't last the whole season.

bigsoxfan420
12-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Hey just a quick question. Why have I not seen Contreras' name brought up in talk about next years rotation? An article in the Trib the other day didn't mention him and neither has Thome25. Is it just assumed that he will be injured still? Or have a I missed some big news about a trade.

Thome25
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey just a quick question. Why have I not seen Contreras' name brought up in talk about next years rotation? An article in the Trib the other day didn't mention him and neither has Thome25. Is it just assumed that he will be injured still? Or have a I missed some big news about a trade.

He isn't due back until July 2009 at the earliest and at his age he may never come back from his injury. My hope is that he retires and the Sox are off the hook for his salary.

Heffalump
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I can actually see KW signing Randy Johnson to a 1 year deal. He could get his 300th win here which will draw a decent crowd, and if we get Contreras back in July, it is somewhat insurance in case he sucks and can't last the whole season.

I would love this. However, I don't think Randy Johnson would agree to come to the AL and the Cell. But then again, what the heck do I know.

doublem23
12-04-2008, 09:19 AM

I don't have the link now, but I also believe that Contreras, if he's able to come back in mid-season 2009 probably won't be ready to start right away, too.

Best to completely forget about The Count for next year, and if he's able to give us some good innings, that's a bonus.

The Sox have to bring in another starter. Buehrle/Floyd/Danks/?/? is terrifying.

CashMan
12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
He isn't due back until July 2009 at the earliest and at his age he may never come back from his injury. My hope is that he retires and the Sox are off the hook for his salary.

I believe all MLB contracts are guaranteed.

Thome25
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I believe all MLB contracts are guaranteed.

They have to pay him even if he retires?:scratch: That doesn't make sense. Also, as a side note I'm pretty sure large contracts are insured in case the player gets injured.

btrain929
12-04-2008, 10:03 AM
They have to pay him even if he retires?:scratch: That doesn't make sense. Also, as a side note I'm pretty sure large contracts are insured in case the player gets injured.

Well I'm guessing 3yr/29mil wasn't large enough, because I'm pretty sure it's been reported none of it was covered by "insurance."

Marqhead
12-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Well I'm guessing 3yr/29mil wasn't large enough, because I'm pretty sure it's been reported none of it was covered by "insurance."

From what I understand, and there are others who know more about this situation than I. If Contreras does not play in 2009, and then retires, the Sox do not have to pay his salary.

CashMan
12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
From what I understand, and there are others who know more about this situation than I. If Contreras does not play in 2009, and then retires, the Sox do not have to pay his salary.

Ya...I think you are right. I think some players when hurt, put off retiring so they can still collect their contract money. So, I wouldn't see why Jose would retire. You know someone will give him a contract after this coming season to pitch somewhere.

Domeshot17
12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I sure hope not. It is one thing to give him a year in the bullpen to develop and work on improving his 2nd pitch and getting a 3rd one, but its another to throw him into the fire as a starter, when he clearly is not ready, and pray you do not ruin him.

Plus, no way we go with a rotation of Danks Burls Poreda and Richard, Most teams are hesitant to use 3 lefties together in a rotation, let a lone 4.

ChiSoxFan81
12-04-2008, 11:06 AM
No way KW is going into the season with 2 inexperienced starters. We will sign someone. It may not be the biggest name, but it will be a solid starter. We're not dumping salary and loading up on prospects for nothing.

HomeFish
12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
No way KW is going into the season with 2 inexperienced starters. We will sign someone. It may not be the biggest name, but it will be a solid starter. We're not dumping salary and loading up on prospects for nothing.

Well, we did start 2008 with Danks and Floyd.

doublem23
12-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Danks/Floyd >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Poreda/Richard/Broadway

SoxyStu
12-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Coop said this morning this is what he is expecting (even though he said he hasn't talked to KW). A rotation of Burls, Floyd, Danks, Marq, and Clay. Well see what else transpires.

doublem23
12-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Coop said this morning this is what he is expecting (even though he said he hasn't talked to KW). A rotation of Burls, Floyd, Danks, Marq, and Clay. Well see what else transpires.

:chunks

remember ventura
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I attended the University of San Francisco for one year before transferring univerities a few years ago. Before classes in the fall semester, we had to take placement tests to see which course level we would fit into. Anyways, while waiting in line for a math test I struck up conversation with the kid in front of me. He told me how he plans to try-out for baseball as a "walk-on" in the uncoming week. I wished him luck, but highly doubted he would make it as very few do simply "walk-on".

Well, this kid was Aaron Poreda... and now to debut next year with the White Sox! He appeared to be a genuine individual and you never heard a bad thing about the guy around campus. Best of luck to you Aaron!!!!

chisoxmike
12-04-2008, 11:53 AM

The Sox will finish in 4th place if that's the rotation.

white sox bill
12-04-2008, 12:00 PM

Thats what was said in '08 with Floyd and Danks as #'s 4 & 5. But then I see an upside to those 2, more than ther ones who are oin the running now. Can Coop pull another rabbit out?

SoxyStu
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Eh, maybe so, maybe not. Although, the pitching in this division isn't what it once was a few years ago. Just last season, it took 89 wins of 163 games to win the division last year. That's nothing special. It's not quite NL west pitiful, but definitely nothing special.

doublem23
12-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Thats what was said in '08 with Floyd and Danks as #'s 4 & 5. But then I see an upside to those 2, more than ther ones who are oin the running now. Can Coop pull another rabbit out?

Honestly, of the group Marquez, Poreda, Clayton, Broadway I think one of them can turn into a serviceable MLB starter... Which one, I'm not sure yet. Two of them? I think you're really pushing your luck there.

chisoxmike
12-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Danks showed in 07 that he was going to be a good starter. Honestly, I didn't think Floyd had it in him but he shut me up this year. I'm interested to see how he does next year.

But as Doub said, two question marks in a rotation when they're trying to win another division title is pushing it.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes...if Contreras retires the Sox are off the hook but my understanding is he needs to do that BEFORE the season starts.

If he starts the season on the injured list but does not throw a single inning during the 2009 season it is possible the Sox will not owe him a dime, as they may have taken out insurance on him. I have not been able to get this confirmed.

Lip

doublem23
12-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Danks showed in 07 that he was going to be a good starter. Honestly, I didn't think Floyd had it in him but he shut me up this year. I'm interested to see how he does next year.

Even though Floyd hadn't shown much at the MLB level prior to last season, he still had an impressive pedigree. He was a Top 10 overall draft pick, and for most of his time with the Phillies, he was the crown jewel of their farm system. None of the guys that are currently slotted to the 4th and 5th spot in the 2009 rotation can match his upside. Anyone who has followed baseball for the last few years probably wasn't overly shocked to see Floyd finally put his **** together. He's always had the ability, it was whether or not he could figure out how to pitch.

ChiSoxFan81
12-04-2008, 12:46 PM

Right. But that's because we had 3 veteran, tested guys who could for the most part eat innings. Now we have one veteran and 2 promising youngsters. Big difference.

Danks/Floyd >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Poreda/Richard/Broadway

This too.

Of course Coop is going to say this, because that's what he has right now. Plus the fact that he hasn't talked to KW (at least that's his public statement).

russ99
12-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Also, Danks and Floyd had difficult first seasons as a starter for the Sox. I'd expect at least Marquez to have the same, and I'm not sold on Richard as a starter yet either. He'd be the long man in an optimal staff.

It's not like 1 or 2 of these guys can turn it on and become a 2008 Danks or Floyd. Breaking into a MLB rotation is a tough adjustment, which is why I hope Kenny gets us one more starter who's been through that already, be it a young guy or innings-eater vet.

Thome25
12-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Even though Floyd hadn't shown much at the MLB level prior to last season, he still had an impressive pedigree. He was a Top 10 overall draft pick, and for most of his time with the Phillies, he was the crown jewel of their farm system. None of the guys that are currently slotted to the 4th and 5th spot in the 2009 rotation can match his upside. Anyone who has followed baseball for the last few years probably wasn't overly shocked to see Floyd finally put his **** together. He's always had the ability, it was whether or not he could figure out how to pitch.

As a side note, They love Floyd here in Maryland. He is quote "a son of Annapolis". The Orioles broadcasters on the radio practically drool over the guy. They always talk about how much they wish the Orioles had their native son. They even talked like that before he had his breakout year in 2008.

Zisk77
12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I think Poreda is being groomed for the pen.

SoxyStu
12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I think Poreda is being groomed for the pen.

Or eased into the rotation ala burls.

SoxyStu
12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Of course Coop is going to say this, because that's what he has right now. Plus the fact that he hasn't talked to KW (at least that's his public statement).

Couldn't he comfortably say he has no idea what is going to happen since he hasn't talked to KW or even also add that personell decisions isn't his job concentration?

ChiSoxFan81
12-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Couldn't he comfortably say he has no idea what is going to happen since he hasn't talked to KW or even also add that personell decisions isn't his job concentration?

Even if he has talked to KW, he's not going to announce publicly that the Sox are looking for a starter. KW flies under the radar, remember? Also, while personnel decisions are not his responsibility, I'm sure he has input on prospective trades or signings involving the pitching staff.

SoxyStu
12-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Even if he has talked to KW, he's not going to announce publicly that the Sox are looking for a starter.

Thanks for making my point.

rdivaldi
12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
IMO this undermines what KW is apparently trying to do, which is rebuild our farm system and stock it with good young players so we can build from within.

Then KW has you fooled, don't think for a second this is what he plans to do. He will trade any of our youngsters in a second if the right guy comes available.

DumpJerry
12-04-2008, 11:53 PM
I sure hope not. It is one thing to give him a year in the bullpen to develop and work on improving his 2nd pitch and getting a 3rd one, but its another to throw him into the fire as a starter, when he clearly is not ready, and pray you do not ruin him.

Plus, no way we go with a rotation of Danks Burls Poreda and Richard, Most teams are hesitant to use 3 lefties together in a rotation, let a lone 4.
Agreed.

whitesox901
12-06-2008, 04:52 AM
I still think KW will sign/trade for a veteran.

PalehosePlanet
12-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Or eased into the rotation ala burls.

Which, if the same script is followed, I'm all for. Burls came up in August and was used mostly out of the pen down the stretch.

IMO, there is no reason to rush Poreda to the bigs. He needs more time in the minors --- at least a half a year if not longer.

sunofgold
12-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I rather keep him as a starter. Let him compete for a starting job and if he doesn't get it, let him continue starting in AAA and bring him up if necessary.

Moving a guy between starting and bullpen hasn't really worked lately (Brandon Mc. and Masset). No starter will admit it, but being put in the bullpen is a type of demotion.