PDA

View Full Version : Sabathia to Yankees Mega-Thread

WhiteSoxFan84
12-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Linky (http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spyanks1204,0,465382.story)

An article by Ken Davidoff with a lot of tidbits. Sounds like the Yankees are hopeful that Sabathia will sign with them soon. The Braves and AJ Burnett seem to like each other. The Red Sox are after Derek Lowe but the Yankees are also interested.

thomas35forever
12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
They should. When don't they make a big splash?

ChiSoxFan81
12-05-2008, 10:06 AM
They should. When don't they make a big splash?

You reminded me of one of the funniest headlines I've ever seen.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-8164926_ITM

thomas35forever
12-07-2008, 04:51 PM
You reminded me of one of the funniest headlines I've ever seen.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-8164926_ITM
Even funnier about that link is the Google ads at the bottom.

guillensdisciple
12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I really wish a team like the Rays or athletics could sign him, wouldn't that be a kick in the yankee's balls?

sox1970
12-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Sabathia is signing with the Yankees.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12102008/sports/yankees/yanks_close_in_on_sabathia_deal_143481.htm

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3759182

Biggest deal for a pitcher in league history, close to 40 mil more than Johan got, wow! Sources are saying there are NO ROADBLOCKS and its as good as done.

Captain Cheeseburger can now buy his own mcdonalds...in every state

palehozenychicty
12-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Supposedly it's for 7 years/$160 mil! That is beyond crazy, for a guy that hasn't done well in the postseason, and also a guy that is not as good as Santana, who they should've traded for last season.

link (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/12/10/2008-12-10_pitcher_cc_sabathia_agrees_to_7year_160_.html)

peelwonder
12-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Biggest deal for a pitcher in league history, close to 40 mil more than Johan got, wow! Sources are saying there are NO ROADBLOCKS and its as good as done.

Captain Cheeseburger can no by his own mcdonalds...in every state

Talking Baseball Dude....

DaveFeelsRight
12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
thought he wanted to play for the dodgers. hmmm.

SoxandtheCityTee
12-10-2008, 08:49 AM
The radio keeps playing this clip of a reporter saying that Cashman was talking to Sabathia, to persuade "he and his wife" that NYC would be fine etc. How can any native speaker of English, to say nothing of a journalist, not hear that "persuade he" is wrong? It's as though the words "him," "her" and "me" are simply being dropped from the language.

OK, rant over, but yeesh, it bugs me. They'll never get I to speak this way.

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107996

aryzner
12-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I was really hoping he'd go NL so our chances of ever facing him were slim to none during the season.

palehozenychicty
12-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Captain Cheeseburger can no by his own mcdonalds...in every state

:rolling:

They had to throw that extra year in, otherwise he wouldn't have came to the Bronx. He's paid a lot more than Johan, but I'd take Johan any day of the week over CC. The Yanks will rue this deal sooner than later.

wilburaga
12-10-2008, 08:58 AM
God, I hate the Yankees. Well, I'll do my share. I'll have two Ray's pizzas (extra cheese) delivered to CC's doorstep every night at 8:30 and wait for the Garces Effect to take hold.

W

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 09:09 AM
sorry, didn't even think to look to talking baseball with it not being official yet, feel free to merge it up

Thome25
12-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I honestly believe that this deal is going to come back and haunt the Yanks. Didn't they learn from Carl Pavano? CC Sabathia is another pitcher who's numbers were helped by pitching in the NL and I believe he's also an injury waiting to happen at his weight.

If I remember right, he didn't pitch very well for the Indians in 2008 and his numbers weren't very good until he went to the NL.

hi im skot
12-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I honestly believe that this deal is going to come back and haunt the Yanks. Didn't they learn from Carl Pavano? CC Sabathia is another pitcher who's numbers were helped by pitching in the NL

I dunno, he's spent most of career in the AL doing pretty well for himself...

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I honestly believe that this deal is going to come back and haunt the Yanks. Didn't they learn from Carl Pavano? CC Sabathia is another pitcher who's numbers were helped by pitching in the NL and I believe he's also an injury waiting to happen at his weight.

If I remember right, he didn't pitch very well for the Indians in 2008 and his numbers weren't very good until he went to the NL.

He didn't pitch as amazingly Dominant, but if you take away his win loss record, he had a 3.83 era, not GREAT but very good, his K to BB ratio was similiar, IP were fine, Nothing jumped out except double the runs. So Yes, he didn't throw 1.70 era ball all year, but the only way this bites the Yankees is if he gets hurt. They can afford to pay a number 1 this much money, so let them. I think production is the least of their worries.

spiffie
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Perhaps they can use some of the request for more public money to pay for CC.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081209/SPORTS/812090338/-1/rss02

palehozenychicty
12-10-2008, 09:25 AM
God, I hate the Yankees. Well, I'll do my share. I'll have two Ray's pizzas (extra cheese) delivered to CC's doorstep every night at 8:30 and wait for the Garces Effect to take hold.

W

Original? Famous Original or Not Ray's? Or RayBari? :tongue:

VenturaFan23
12-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Do the Yankees have a 'straighten your cap' rule to go along with the facial hair rule?

Thome25
12-10-2008, 09:30 AM
He didn't pitch as amazingly Dominant, but if you take away his win loss record, he had a 3.83 era, not GREAT but very good, his K to BB ratio was similiar, IP were fine, Nothing jumped out except double the runs. So Yes, he didn't throw 1.70 era ball all year, but the only way this bites the Yankees is if he gets hurt. They can afford to pay a number 1 this much money, so let them. I think production is the least of their worries.

Did he pitch as well as Pedro with the Red Sox or Johan with the Twins? Because the Yanks gave him the same kind of money the Mets gave to Pedro and Johan and they were much better pitchers IMO. So far, (the book is still out on Johan.) neither of them pitched as well as their contracts dictated.

IMO with his body type, he is definitely an injury waiting to happen. I can see him having back problems down the road. I know the Yanks have the money to throw around but it is sickening to watch them be so foolish. I guess they didn't learn from the Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright signings.

Watching a team operate this way makes me thankful that my team is smart with their money.

sox102
12-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Do the Yankees have a 'straighten your cap' rule to go along with the facial hair rule?

I sure hope so. That is so annoying.

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Supposedly it's for 7 years/$160 mil! That is beyond crazy, for a guy that hasn't done well in the postseason, and also a guy that is not as good as Santana, who they should've traded for last season.

link (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/12/10/2008-12-10_pitcher_cc_sabathia_agrees_to_7year_160_.html)

Good to see everyone being affected by the economy.

jabrch
12-10-2008, 10:45 AM
The Yanks have such amazing economic leverage that they can take a risk like this... No insurance on deals past 4 or 5 years with pitchers, right? So the Steinbrenners are exposed for many many many millions of $.

veeter
12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm kind of surprised by this. He made his union very happy. Go Rays.

munchman33
12-10-2008, 10:54 AM

You're talking about former American League CY Young CC Sabathia, right?

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 10:56 AM
You're talking about former American League CY Young CC Sabathia, right?

nope Ive heard he can only win in the NL they made a mistake giving him that award

HomeFish
12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I dunno, he's spent most of career in the AL doing pretty well for himself...

He's going to the AL East. He's not facing Juan Uribe and Nick Punto anymore.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Please. What deal ever haunts the Yankees?

They print money and take risks.

soxinem1
12-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Good to see everyone being affected by the economy.

It's also good to see someone overlook the desire to pay, I mean play, closer to 'home' like CC supposedly wanted to.

I guess money can buy you love!!

In NYY defense, they did have a lot of loot to spend after setting free Abreau, Giambi, Mussina, Pavano, and possibly Pettitte. That's over $80 million in yearly salaries right there.

Still, $160 million. What is the world coming to?

DSpivack
12-10-2008, 11:16 AM

And will have even more $$$ to print in their new abode.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Don't hate on CC for taking the money and don't hate on the Yankees for having the money to give to him. You'd all take the Yankees offer and to those LIARS who say they wouldn't because they'd rather play close to home, his contract has an opt-out clause after 3 seasons. So if he still doesn't like it in NY after 3 years, he can leave.

getonbckthr
12-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Part of me wishes Boston would come in with a bid of 7 yrs and 185.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Don't hate on CC for taking the money and don't hate on the Yankees for having the money to give to him. You'd all take the Yankees offer and to those LIARS who say they wouldn't because they'd rather play close to home, his contract has an opt-out clause after 3 seasons. So if he still doesn't like it in NY after 3 years, he can leave.Don't project your values onto other people. Not everyone cares only about seeing how much money they can amass, and calling them liars is uncalled for. If the money was even remotely close, I would not want to live and play in New York.

No matter where he goes, he's going to get more money than he can possibly spend. At some point, some people will say "okay, I'm set financially, now what's next on my list of priorities for where I want to play?"

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Don't project your values onto other people. Not everyone cares only about seeing how much money they can amass, and calling them liars is uncalled for. If the money was even remotely close, I would not want to live and play in New York.

No matter where he goes, he's going to get more money than he can possibly spend. At some point, some people will say "okay, I'm set financially, now what's next on my list of priorities for where I want to play?"

NF, I'm taking facts into consideration. The "home teams" offered him 100-110mm from what has been reported. The Yankees offered him 160mm. You'd stay "close to home" and forfeit 50-60mm? I know 100mm is a lot of money, hell half of that is a ton, half of half is also! But to forfeit 50-60mill? I don't care how much you love the beaches in LA, you can't let that go especially if you're only going to be "away from home" less than 6 months out of the year for 7 years.

Part of me wishes Boston would come in with a bid of 7 yrs and 185.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I dislike the Red Sox more than I dislike the Yankees. Hell, I don't dislike the Yanks much anymore. So what if they spend tons of money? a) it hasn't been working and b) at least they're trying to put together an amazing squad and so what if they're using free agency to do it rather than drafting a dynasty? Different strokes for different folks.

Thome25
12-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Have you been watching the Yankees since 2001? Their player acquisitions have SUCKED. Prime example of player deals that have come back to haunt them: The Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright signings.

Bad pitching decisions is the reason they haven't been to the WS since 2003 and missed the playoffs for the first time in along time in 2008. IMO that shows that certain decisions DO comeback to haunt even the Yankees.

Need I even mention the Loaiza for Contreras trade they made in 2004? The Sabathia contract reeks of another bad pitching decision for the Yanks. IMO He WILL have a major injury at some point during that deal especially due to his weight.....my guess is it'll be his back. If Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana can't even justify their mega-contracts why the hell would the Yanks think that a bloated CC Sabathia will justify a bloated contract?

palehozenychicty
12-10-2008, 11:41 AM
NF, I'm taking facts into consideration. The "home teams" offered him 100-110mm from what has been reported. The Yankees offered him 160mm. You'd stay "close to home" and forfeit 50-60mm? I know 100mm is a lot of money, hell half of that is a ton, half of half is also! But to forfeit 50-60mill? I don't care how much you love the beachs in LA, you can't let that go if you're only going to be away from home less than 6 months out of the year for 7 years.

Exactly. Torii Hunter made an interesting quote about the nature of FA last year, that "it's not about the money. It's about not being stupid."

If you're passing up $60 million because you're afraid of living or playing in a certain place, then I have to question your intelligence level. Morality in this case is subjective, and I'll leave it out of the discussion.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
NF, I'm taking facts into consideration. The "home teams" offered him 100-110mm from what has been reported. The Yankees offered him 160mm. You'd stay "close to home" and forfeit 50-60mm? I know 100mm is a lot of money, hell half of that is a ton, half of half is also! But to forfeit 50-60mill? I don't care how much you love the beaches in LA, you can't let that go especially if you're only going to be "away from home" less than 6 months out of the year for 7 years.All I was saying is don't say that anyone who says otherwise is a LIAR, because you don't have any idea what other people value.

I took a very large pay cut to go to university teaching, because it was what I wanted to do at that stage in my life, and I would be okay financially. If I can get by and be comfortable at my income level, I think some people might decide they can scrape by on $100 million, and start to look at non-financial aspects of their options.

You can say what you'd do. You can say what you think most people would do. What you can't do is say that everyone would do it, and call other people liars if they don't have the same values as you.

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Have you been watching the Yankees since 2001? Their player acquisitions have SUCKED. Prime example of player deals that have come back to haunt them: The Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright signings.

Bad pitching decisions is the reason they haven't been to the WS since 2003 and missed the playoffs for the first time in along time in 2008. IMO that shows that certain decisions DO comeback to haunt even the Yankees.

Need I even mention the Loaiza for Contreras trade they made in 2004? The Sabathia contract reeks of another bad pitching decision for the Yanks. IMO He WILL have a major injury at some point during that deal especially due to his weight.....my guess is it'll be his back. If Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana can't even justify their mega-contracts why the hell would the Yanks think that a bloated CC Sabathia will justify a bloated contract?

Some of the pitching choices have not been great but none of them have haunted the Yankees. The Yankees more fell out last year because of Injuries to their better guys and young kids being counted on did not produce.

Also, Wright and Pavano are horrible examples. They were both coming off career years and did not have a track record of success. That would fit more if the Yanks signed Ryan Dempster for like 5 years 75 mil. But CC Sabathia is a former Cy young winner, has a steady track record, is consistent and truly one of the top 5-10 pitchers in the game.

like I said before, worry about injury, worry about his weight concerns, but the production should be there as long as he stays healthy.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2008, 11:58 AM
All I was saying is don't say that anyone who says otherwise is a LIAR, because you don't have any idea what other people value.

I took a very large pay cut to go to university teaching, because it was what I wanted to do at that stage in my life, and I would be okay financially. If I can get by and be comfortable at my income level, I think some people might decide they can scrape by on $100 million, and start to look at non-financial aspects of their options.

See I don't know what job you gave up to become a teacher, but CC would be in the same exact line of work. I understand what you're saying but it's very easy for people to sit here and say "oh I'd definitely give up the 60mm to stay closer to home" and be lying about it 99% of the time. There maybe the 1% that are speaking the truth but ESPECIALLY with the economy being the way it is today, if you give up 60mm the team signing you should take the lesser offer off the table and that player should be mentally checked out.

cws05champ
12-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't want to discount his #'s in the NL too much, but just look at the teams he beat: Col, Cin, SF, Stl, Atl, Wash, SD, Hou, Pit X2, Cubs(who already clinched).

To throw a 1.70 ERA in the majors over that period of time is amazing, but lets face it...when people say the AL is more difficult, it's those teams above that is the reason why.

Rumors on XM are that the Yanks are close to signing Lowe as well. :angry:

Domeshot17
12-10-2008, 12:01 PM
All I was saying is don't say that anyone who says otherwise is a LIAR, because you don't have any idea what other people value.

Way more comes into it than that.

(1) You can teach the rest of your life, this is probably CC's last 7 years.
(2) While the money is insane, keep in mind hell lose a lot to taxes, his agent gets his cut, so its not really what it is.
(3) Who really knows what is important to CC. He has been VERY VOCAL in wanting to expose Baseball to kids in poverty and wanting to revitalize baseball among young african american children. Maybe a large portion of that money will be allocated to that. Maybe to him, he can do more good in the limelight in New York then pitching when 80% of the kids in America are in bed in California. I am not saying this is the case, but a lot more goes into then Money.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 12:04 PM

The word used was "haunt."

Despite ****ty moves, the Yankees are doing "business as usual."

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I dislike the Red Sox more than I dislike the Yankees. Hell, I don't dislike the Yanks much anymore. So what if they spend tons of money? a) it hasn't been working and b) at least they're trying to put together an amazing squad and so what if they're using free agency to do it rather than drafting a dynasty? Different strokes for different folks.

I hate Red Sox Nation more than the Yankees.

Red Sox are right there with the Cubs.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 12:07 PM
If someone offered me $170 million to go work in Iraq and live there the rest of my life..... I would do it.

"Money makes the world go around"

Thome25
12-10-2008, 12:25 PM
The word used was "haunt."

Despite ****ty moves, the Yankees are doing "business as usual."

haunt (http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=B8yXGowdASYrwIqOqapmM_LkJ79zjfrWu_u8D-emEgQaA8QQQAxgDII-UoREoBTgAUITpp-oGYMmWiYmIpIQQsgEYZGljdGlvbmFyeS5yZWZlcmVuY2UuY29t yAEB2gEsaHR0cDovL2RpY3Rpb25hcnkucmVmZXJlbmNlLmNvbS 9icm93c2UvaGF1bnTAAgHIAtXJigOoAwHoA8ED9QMABAAE9QME AAAAmAQA&num=3&adurl=http://shopping.yahoo.com/search%3B_ylc%3DX3oDMTFob2tjY3QyBF9TAzc4NDcxNjIxMQ RrA2thaSBib2R5IGJ1ZmZlcgRzZWMDc2l0ZV90YXJnZXRpbmc-%3Fp%3Dkai%2Bbody%2Bbuffer&client=ca-aj-lexico-dict)

–verb (used with object)
1.to visit habitually or appear to frequently as a spirit or ghost: to haunt a house; to haunt a person.
2.to recur persistently to the consciousness of; remain with: Memories of love haunted him.
3.to visit frequently; go to often: He haunted the galleries and bars that the artists went to.
4.to frequent the company of; be often with: He haunted famous men, hoping to gain celebrity for himself.
5.to disturb or distress; cause to have anxiety; trouble; worry: His youthful escapades came back to haunt him.
–verb (used without object)
6.to reappear continually as a spirit or ghost.
7.to visit habitually or regularly.
8.to remain persistently; loiter; stay; linger.
–noun
9.Often, haunts. a place frequently visited: to return to one's old haunts.
10.Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S. and North England. a ghost.

I know what word was used. Here is the definition in case there's any confusion. Notice the passage I highlighted (#5). IMO the Yankees decisions when trading for and signing pitchers has haunted them lately.

The fact that they have been doing poorly in the playoffs (and missed the playoffs in 2008) due partly to bad pitching decisions has disturbed them and their fans and caused them distress, anxiety, and worry. There has also been some big trouble in that department. Thus the definition of passage #5. Besides, "business as usual" for the Yankees is getting to the playoffs and kicking ass when they get there. They've hardly been doing either lately.

Nothing will ever haunt the Yankees money-wise. They will always have plenty of it and spend it freely. What haunts the Yankees is their play on the field and the expectations that come with it. Who they choose to sign affects that directly.

You see it one way and I see it another. Let's just agree to disagree. Also, judging by your 3 consecutive posts......"multiquote" is your friend.

areilly
12-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Also, Wright and Pavano are horrible examples.

I seem to recall a lot of angry fist-shaking around here when the Sox didn't go out and sign Pavano that winter.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 12:46 PM
haunt (http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=B8yXGowdASYrwIqOqapmM_LkJ79zjfrWu_u8D-emEgQaA8QQQAxgDII-UoREoBTgAUITpp-oGYMmWiYmIpIQQsgEYZGljdGlvbmFyeS5yZWZlcmVuY2UuY29t yAEB2gEsaHR0cDovL2RpY3Rpb25hcnkucmVmZXJlbmNlLmNvbS 9icm93c2UvaGF1bnTAAgHIAtXJigOoAwHoA8ED9QMABAAE9QME AAAAmAQA&num=3&adurl=http://shopping.yahoo.com/search%3B_ylc%3DX3oDMTFob2tjY3QyBF9TAzc4NDcxNjIxMQ RrA2thaSBib2R5IGJ1ZmZlcgRzZWMDc2l0ZV90YXJnZXRpbmc-%3Fp%3Dkai%2Bbody%2Bbuffer&client=ca-aj-lexico-dict)

–verb (used with object)
1.to visit habitually or appear to frequently as a spirit or ghost: to haunt a house; to haunt a person.
2.to recur persistently to the consciousness of; remain with: Memories of love haunted him.
3.to visit frequently; go to often: He haunted the galleries and bars that the artists went to.
4.to frequent the company of; be often with: He haunted famous men, hoping to gain celebrity for himself.
5.to disturb or distress; cause to have anxiety; trouble; worry: His youthful escapades came back to haunt him.
–verb (used without object)
6.to reappear continually as a spirit or ghost.
7.to visit habitually or regularly.
8.to remain persistently; loiter; stay; linger.
–noun
9.Often, haunts. a place frequently visited: to return to one's old haunts.
10.Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S. and North England. a ghost.

I know what word was used. Here is the definition in case there's any confusion. Notice the passage I highlighted (#5). IMO the Yankees decisions when trading for and signing pitchers has haunted them lately.

The fact that they have been doing poorly in the playoffs (and missed the playoffs in 2008) due partly to bad pitching decisions has disturbed them and their fans and caused them distress, anxiety, and worry. There has also been some big trouble in that department. Thus the definition of passage #5. Besides, "business as usual" for the Yankees is getting to the playoffs and kicking ass when they get there. They've hardly been doing either lately.

You see it one way and I see it another. Let's just agree to disagree. Also, judging by your 3 consecutive posts......"multiquote" is your friend.

Thanks for giving me a course on the Engilsh language and also on how to manage my posting habits in a Forum.

HawkDJ
12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
The Yankees are apparently also about to sign Derek Lowe 4-yr $70m and have an 5-yr $80m offer to AJ Burnett.

whitesox901
12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
The Yankees are apparently also about to sign Derek Lowe 4-yr $70m and have an 5-yr $80m offer to AJ Burnett.

Damn, I was hoping we were going to try to get Burnett

Thome25
12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
It doesn't bother me if the Yankees sign Burnett and Lowe to go with Sabathia. In 2005, they had a rotation of Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, and Mike Mussina. Looks pretty good on paper right?

So-called baseball experts practically had the WS trophy engraved for the Yankees before the season even started. We all know how that turned out.:D:

Besides, mostly mid and low payroll teams have been the ones to get to (and win) the WS since 2002. Someone forgot to tell the mega-market teams that you're better off NOT trying to buy yourself a championship. It doesn't usually work anymore.

soxpride724
12-10-2008, 01:16 PM
I hate Red Sox Nation more than the Yankees.

Red Sox are right there with the Cubs.

I agree, the Red Sox are about as annoying as the north siders with the only diffrence is that they know how to win.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
It doesn't bother me if the Yankees sign Burnett and Lowe to go with Sabathia. In 2005, they had a rotation of Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, and Mike Mussina. Looks pretty good on paper right?

So-called baseball experts practically had the WS trophy engraved for the Yankees before the season even started. We all know how that turned out.:D:

Besides, mostly mid and low payroll teams have been the ones to get to (and win) the WS since 2002. Someone forgot to tell the mega-market teams that you're better off NOT trying to buy yourself a championship. It doesn't usually work anymore.

You are discounting the fact that most of that rotation was hurt. The Yankees can't control health.

LoveYourSuit
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Damn, I was hoping we were going to try to get Burnett

Me too.

I was hoping for AJ to be one of those "Kenny under the radar" moves that would surprise us all.

It looks like that contract would be 1 year too many for the Sox to go along with maybe $2 million too much per season.

Thome25
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
You are discounting the fact that most of that rotation was hurt. The Yankees can't control health.

Exactly--and that goes back to my original point. It is too risky, foolish, and irresposnible to throw that kind of money at pitchers......especially ones of Sabathia's girth. More often than not teams get burned by throwing that kind of money at pitchers. The Yankees obviously haven't learned from their own and other team's mistakes.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Way more comes into it than that.

(1) You can teach the rest of your life, this is probably CC's last 7 years. You cannot have typed that and been remotely serious. If I teach for the next 100 years, I won't make what he makes in ONE YEAR. This isn't even a rational argument. He can live ten lifetimes on $100 million. Another $50-$60 million won't change his lifestyle one iota.
(2) While the money is insane, keep in mind hell lose a lot to taxes, his agent gets his cut, so its not really what it is.Yeah, and Sprewell had a family to feed.
(3) Who really knows what is important to CC. He has been VERY VOCAL in wanting to expose Baseball to kids in poverty and wanting to revitalize baseball among young african american children. Maybe a large portion of that money will be allocated to that. Maybe to him, he can do more good in the limelight in New York then pitching when 80% of the kids in America are in bed in California. I am not saying this is the case, but a lot more goes into then Money.That's a different point altogether. I don't want to expand the discussion into a new area. All I was arguing with was the contention that anyone who says they wouldn't take the highest offer, regardless of any other consideration, is a LIAR. I just wanted to point out that, once your financial needs have been addressed beyond any doubt (and $100 million certainly does that,) it is perfectly reasonable to then move on to other wants/needs being met without needing psychiatric evaluation. "Mo' money" isn't the be all and end all for everyone.

thomas35forever
12-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Don't worry about the Yankees. If they've proven anything this decade, it's that no team can buy a championship. Then again, this is the first time I can remember investing this much in pitchers in one offseason.

Lip Man 1
12-10-2008, 05:06 PM
The Yankees sign Sabathia, the Mets sign Rodriguez.

BIG SURPRISE....

money talks and you know what walks.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
12-10-2008, 07:18 PM

BIG SURPRISE....

Lip

And I'd still speculate that both New York teams will miss the 2009 playoffs.

SBSoxFan
12-10-2008, 09:46 PM

BIG SURPRISE....

Lip

Not Jerry Owens. :kneeslap:

Any way, CC threw 253 innings last year! I expect we won't see anything in 2009 near the CC who was in Milwaukee.