PDA

View Full Version : will there ever be drug/steroid testing in baseball?

cheeses_h_rice
05-21-2002, 03:57 PM
With Jose Canseco's assertion that a whopping 85% of major league players are using steroids, you'd figure MLB collectively would realize that, even if this figure is grossly overestimated, this sets a bad PR precedent and does diminish all the offensive garishness we've witnessed over the past half a decade.

I don't get it. What's so hard about outright banning steroids, insisting on mandatory and/or random testing, and be done with it? Can anyone give me a legitimate answer except for "the players union won't stand for it"?

Randar68
05-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
With Jose Canseco's assertion that a whopping 85% of major league players are using steroids, you'd figure MLB collectively would realize that, even if this figure is grossly overestimated, this sets a bad PR precedent and does diminish all the offensive garishness we've witnessed over the past half a decade.

I don't get it. What's so hard about outright banning steroids, insisting on mandatory and/or random testing, and be done with it? Can anyone give me a legitimate answer except for "the players union won't stand for it"?

I've said for a long time that MLB is a complete joke until they ban steroids and performance enhancing drugs. If you think Either Big Mac of Sammy have never been on the juice, you're full of it. Raising the mound, calling the high strike....BS...If you want to even the playing field for pitchers, ban Steroids!

duke of dorwood
05-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Yes, and any reluctance by the union will be a plus for ownership's side.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I don't get it. What's so hard about outright banning steroids, insisting on mandatory and/or random testing, and be done with it? Can anyone give me a legitimate answer except for "the players union won't stand for it"? :shammy

Why would MLB want me exposed as a cheating fraud? After all, I saved baseball!

cheeses_h_rice
05-21-2002, 04:48 PM
The day that Sham-ME has to put away his Flintstones Chewable Vitamins for good will be a "berry, berry hoppy" one for yours truly!

:shammy

Watch me slug out 28 zingers every year!

FanOf14
05-21-2002, 07:11 PM
I thought I heard something in the news that someone in baseball's uppermanagement is trying to implement steroid testing. Maybe I imagined it while I was trying to wake up by listening to the radio this morning before work...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2002, 07:54 PM
This will come as no surprise, but the issue of banning drugs is another one that management and the union have fought over. IIRC, baseball had a drug policy but the union successfully convinced a judge it was being administered in specious manner. Rather than jointly developing a new program to replace the one struck down, the owners threw up their hands and walked away.

To my knowledge, MLB does nothing about drugs except offer counseling.