PDA

View Full Version : Our Prospects in the top 100

SoxNation05
12-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Where would our top prospects (Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, Poreda) rank in the top 100? Is there others that could crack the list?

munchman33
12-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Where would our top prospects (Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, Poreda) rank in the top 100? Is there others that could crack the list?

Beckham and Viciedo would crack the list. Beckham top 40. Viciedo and Flowers right around midway. Probably nobody else. Poreda might squeeze in at the bottom. Marquez too, but that would be a stretch.

We have little to no minor league pitching. It's really sad.

SoxNation05
12-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Beckham and Viciedo would crack the list. Beckham top 40. Viciedo and Flowers right around midway. Probably nobody else. Poreda might squeeze in at the bottom. Marquez too, but that would be a stretch.

We have little to no minor league pitching. It's really sad.
Poreda made it late 80's to early 90's last year IIRC, another year under his belt with pretty solid stats would definetly move him up.

munchman33
12-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Poreda made it late 80's to early 90's last year IIRC, another year under his belt with pretty solid stats would definetly move him up.

Another year and he's still a guy with one major league pitch. If anything, he might move down for not progressing/others jumping ahead of him. You can't judge a prospect on numbers.

rdivaldi
12-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Another year and he's still a guy with one major league pitch. If anything, he might move down for not progressing/others jumping ahead of him. You can't judge a prospect on numbers.

His slider is coming along nicely, so I think the "one pitch" thing can go away now. There's no way that any scouting service is going to move him down from last year, he was successful at every stop and opened some eyes in the AFL.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
His slider is coming along nicely, so I think the "one pitch" thing can go away now. There's no way that any scouting service is going to move him down from last year, he was successful at every stop and opened some eyes in the AFL.
Absolutely. Poreda is top 75-80.

SoxNation05
12-03-2008, 10:32 PM
His slider has gotten much better.

EDIT:rdivaldi already said that

Domeshot17
12-03-2008, 10:58 PM
rdivaldi, maybe you can explain this too me since I know you are a minors buff. A lot is being made that Poreda's slider might never be an out pitch, but only a diversion or change of pace to his fastball. Are the Sox hyping him up to deal him, or does he have any chance to impact us in the rotation. Ive said all along, I think hes destined to replace Jenks at closer because the Slider isn't going to be good enough for 7 IP a game.

My guesses Here is Beckham top 45, Dayan top 65, Flowers top 70 and Poreda sitting 90-100.

rdivaldi
12-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I honestly don't think we're hyping up to deal him, the org. is extremely high on him right now. Granted we all know Kenny, no prospect is untouchable with him at the helm.

They want him to be a starter (of course) but he will need more than two pitches (of course) to be successful. Right now I'm not hearing good things about the changeup, which makes me wonder what that third pitch might be in the future. My mind immediately goes to a cutter, especially with Buerhle's and Danks' success with it.

I think it's much too early to think surrender him to a lifetime in the bullpen.

oeo
12-03-2008, 11:18 PM
rdivaldi, maybe you can explain this too me since I know you are a minors buff. A lot is being made that Poreda's slider might never be an out pitch, but only a diversion or change of pace to his fastball. Are the Sox hyping him up to deal him, or does he have any chance to impact us in the rotation. Ive said all along, I think hes destined to replace Jenks at closer because the Slider isn't going to be good enough for 7 IP a game.

Where have you read this? After AFL reports have his slider becoming a plus pitch.

Coop needs to get him on the cutter, as well.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I honestly don't think we're hyping up to deal him, the org. is extremely high on him right now. Granted we all know Kenny, no prospect is untouchable with him at the helm.

They want him to be a starter (of course) but he will need more than two pitches (of course) to be successful. Right now I'm not hearing good things about the changeup, which makes me wonder what that third pitch might be in the future. My mind immediately goes to a cutter, especially with Buerhle's and Danks' success with it.

I think it's much too early to think surrender him to a lifetime in the bullpen.

That would be the perfect compliment. Use the fastball to get ahead, the slider to get out lefties, and the cutter to jam righties. I just hope he keeps up his pinpoint control with the fastball that he was known for in college. I'm pretty sure I've heard from scouts that he's had good control in all levels in the minors as well, a very good thing.

rdivaldi
12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Where have you read this? After AFL reports have his slider becoming a plus pitch.

Coop needs to get him on the cutter, as well.

It's not a plus pitch yet, I haven't talked to or read any scouts who think it is. Right now it's being described as an adequate "distraction" from his fastball.

rdivaldi
12-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I've heard from scouts that he's had good control in all levels in the minors as well, a very good thing.

Poreda has displayed excellent control at every stop. If you look at his career BB/9 the only time he as ever gone above 2.26 was his freshman year at USF. He locates his fastball better than any White Sox prospect I have seen since Fingernails on a Blackboard.

Domeshot17
12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Would it be detrimental then to have him in the Bullpen instead of refining and working on these pitches as a starter? A year ago I would have said our triple A staff is so incompetent they are better off with a year of Cooper even if its in the bullpen but I don't know much about the new guys.

oeo
12-03-2008, 11:37 PM
It's not a plus pitch yet, I haven't talked to or read any scouts who think it is. Right now it's being described as an adequate "distraction" from his fastball.

Well, I did say 'becoming.'

I could have swore I read from two different people that his slider is a good pitch; I'll see if I can find them.

rdivaldi
12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Would it be detrimental then to have him in the Bullpen instead of refining and working on these pitches as a starter? A year ago I would have said our triple A staff is so incompetent they are better off with a year of Cooper even if its in the bullpen but I don't know much about the new guys.

When it comes to the "major league bullpen vs. AAA rotation" debate I just throw up my arms, I don't think there's certainty with either of the methods. Considering we just traded Logan away, methinks there might be an opening for a lefty in the bullpen with Poreda's name on it because I'm pretty sure that Richard will be in serious competition for the 5th starter slot.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Well, I did say 'becoming.'

I could have swore I read from two different people that his slider is a good pitch; I'll see if I can find them.

If it's a good pitch, it's a good pitch. Good pitch does not equal plus pitch. It's not an automatic that if it's good now, that it'll be a plus pitch by spring training, by 2010, or ever. You just can't predict the improvement of a pitch like that....

rdivaldi
12-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Are the Sox hyping him up to deal him, or does he have any chance to impact us in the rotation.

Going back to the deal or no deal subject. I just don't think you can trade away young left-handers who throw in the high 90's, they don't come around all that often. Yeah some may point out Tyler Lumsden, but that kid was extremely wild, Poreda is well beyond him.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Going back to the deal or no deal subject. I just don't think you can trade away young left-handers who throw in the high 90's, they don't come around all that often. Yeah some may point out Tyler Lumsden, but that kid was extremely wild, Poreda is well beyond him.

That's why it'd be awesome if this Santos Rodriguez kid from the Braves can turn into a serviceable lefty out of the pen for us down the road.

rdivaldi
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
That's why it'd be awesome if this Santos Rodriguez kid from the Braves can turn into a serviceable lefty out of the pen for us down the road.

Yeah, he is rather intriguing to say the least. Young, tall lefty with a live fastball sounds like a nice project.

munchman33
12-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Kenny said today that he'll enter spring as a starter, but will very likely spend the bulk of his time this year as a reliever. Not sure if he means if he makes the club outright.

rdivaldi
12-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Kenny said today that he'll enter spring as a starter, but will very likely spend the bulk of his time this year as a reliever. Not sure if he means if he makes the club outright.

If he's relieving, that means he makes the big club. If not, he's starting in Charlotte.