PDA

View Full Version : Thome and Konerko also might be traded

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-vazquezbraves120208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Wow KW is going all out trying to get rid of the older talent on this ball club..

I love what KW is doing so far this off season...

doublem23
12-03-2008, 11:03 AM
That article doesn't say anything we don't know.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
That article doesn't say anything we don't know.

this is the first that I heard that Thome might be traded as well...

kittle42
12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Imagine the degree to which this board would explode if this all turns into some salary dumping rebuilding project.

Thome25
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
That doesn't surprise me at all.......anyone can be had for the right price.....a good team would be stupid not to operate this way.

guillensdisciple
12-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Imagine the degree to which this board would explode if this all turns into some salary dumping rebuilding project.

Well, it really can't be a re-building project, if we let go of the older guys we are just making this team more athletic.
Keeping the core of Ramirez/ Quentin mean that there will be run production. One of the trio or possibly two will stay. So Konerko, Dye, and Thome will have a part to do with it. Hence another run producer or two in the line-up. The rest of the team will be completely re- hauled. We will see a lot more speed infusion and first- third baseball next year.
Honestly, even with the success we had last year with a team full of station to staion baseball players, I would much rather see a run producing core full of scrappy and hard- working players.

Pitching core remains, the Sox still have two young (hopefully) stars on the mound as well as a returning veteran who is a top- notch starter, There are voids to be filled, but Kenny has found success with finding younger talent.

I expect a much different brand of baseball, and a lot more entertainment value due to the infusion of different types of baseball strategy (more bunts. more steals. better defense, overall better baseball).

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 11:15 AM
If we trade Konerko, Dye, and Thome I see all hell breaking loose on this board...

I am ok with trading one but all three? I just dont want to see a lineup like this...

CF-Owens
2b-Getz
RF-Quentin
SS-TCM
C-AJ Pierzynski
1B-Fields
DH-?
3B-Betemit
LF-Anderson

:puking:

palehozenychicty
12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Well, it really can't be a re-building project, if we let go of the older guys we are just making this team more athletic.
Keeping the core of Ramirez/ Quentin mean that there will be run production. One of the trio or possibly two will stay. So Konerko, Dye, and Thome will have a part to do with it. Hence another run producer or two in the line-up. The rest of the team will be completely re- hauled. We will see a lot more speed infusion and first- third baseball next year.
Honestly, even with the success we had last year with a team full of station to staion baseball players, I would much rather see a run producing core full of scrappy and hard- working players.

Pitching core remains, the Sox still have two young (hopefully) stars on the mound as well as a returning veteran who is a top- notch starter, There are voids to be filled, but Kenny has found success with finding younger talent.

I expect a much different brand of baseball, and a lot more entertainment value due to the infusion of different types of baseball strategy (more bunts. more steals. better defense, overall better baseball).

He's doing exactly what we knew in our hearts this team needed. Sure we won the division, but Tampa exposed our weaknesses big time when it mattered. I think at least one of Thome, Konerko, and Dye stay, but we don't need all three to win the division next year.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:19 AM
if the Sox were to trade PK, Dye, Thome and maybe even Jenks.. We would be stock pile with a lot of young talent...

it might take a year for all of them to develop but it would be totally sweet to have a team like the Rays are..

EMel9281
I have a first-class plane ticket to LAA for Konerko...

Thome25
He's doing exactly what we knew in our hearts this team needed. Sure we won the division, but Tampa exposed our weaknesses big time when it mattered. I think at least one of Thome, Konerko, and Dye stay, but we don't need all three to win the division next year.

I think you're exactly right and I LOVE the fact that KW is cleaning house. I want some of the slow, lumbering DH's outta here. I want only big game pitchers like Buehrle and Danks. (Floyd didn't play well in the playoffs but, will give him another chance.)

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
If we trade Konerko, Dye, and Thome I see all hell breaking loose on this board...

I am ok with trading one but all three? I just dont want to see a lineup like this...

CF-Owens
2b-Getz
RF-Quentin
SS-TCM
C-AJ Pierzynski
1B-Fields
DH-?
3B-Betemit
LF-Anderson

it wouldn't be a lineup like that because we would get back a lot of young great stars if we traded all 3..

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Floyd played pretty well to get to the playoffs in big games...

CashMan
12-03-2008, 11:22 AM

CF-Owens
2b-Getz
RF-Quentin
SS-TCM
C-AJ Pierzynski
1B-Fields
DH-?
3B-Betemit
LF-Anderson

Owens over BA in CF? Are you high?

esbrechtel
Ha I love the tag "great young stars"

What about guys that DONT pan out ala Joe Borchard...he was a great young star...

dickallen15
Konerko has a no-trade as does Thome. There's a 99.9% chance both will still be White Sox by opening day.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Ha I love the tag "great young stars"

What about guys that DONT pan out ala Joe Borchard...he was a great young star...

I rather take a chance with a young player with high potential than a declining older player ..

russ99
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
it wouldn't be a lineup like that because we would get back a lot of young great stars if we traded all 3..

Yeah right. If Dye who has the best numbers and most trade value can only bring back the rumored Homer Bailey and a prospect, who would we get for the other two, who are rapidly declining and have bloated salaries?

We need another outfielder. Why does Kenny keep adding subpar infielders?

And I'd rather take the proven commodity over a kid who may or may not pan out. Potential doesn't mean jack. Results vs. MLB pitching do in my book. The other thing that scares me with adding all these kids is who's to say our current hitting coach doesn't mess them all up?

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah right. If Dye who has the best numbers and most trade value can only bring back Bailey and a prospect, who would we get for the other two??

We need another outfielder. Why does Kenny keep adding subpar infielders??

I think the young pitcher and OF will come when Dye is traded... I think Bailey just needs a change of scenery like Floyd did..

We don't know what free agents KW will bring in to go with all of these young players

guillensdisciple
12-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Yes, there is no way, if any of them get traded, that the Sox don't receive great talent that might be major league ready.

Imagine, if all works well, we might have the youngest team in baseball full of good baseball players. Locks us in with some of the best in baseball.
Creating all-stars from your system is the best way to win in the bigs. Look at the Phils, Rollins, Utley, Howard, and Hamels were all home- grown talent I believe. Look where they are now, holding on to the trophy the Sox held on to three years before them.

The team of '05 was literally a quick fix, there was no guarantee that we would do that again, because every pitcher caught fire, when they were mediocre at best prior to that (they had a lot of service time, so there was no prior indication that they would repeat). If we can find a base of consistent young talent (Danks and Floyd, who have shown improvement at a young age, which leaves room for optimism in their future) we will find a way to win another championship... hell maybe even three or four.

I know Kenny Williams isn't satisfied with just one championship, he wants to make White Sox baseball the leader in the majors. He wants a dynasty in Chicago, one that will be recorded down in baseball history as one of the best to ever exist.

In Kenny I (we) trust.

NLaloosh
12-03-2008, 11:29 AM
if the Sox were to trade PK, Dye, Thome and maybe even Jenks.. We would be stock pile with a lot of young talent...

it might take a year for all of them to develop but it would be totally sweet to have a team like the Rays are..

Yeah. except that Kenny seems to be getting quantity over quality. So far, he's gotten 7 players in 2 trades and only one is maybe considered a top prospect. Flowers was the Braves 5th ranked prospect.

I hope that he starts getting some elite talent in these trades.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah. except that Kenny seems to be getting quantity over quality. So far, he's gotten 7 players in 2 trades and only one is maybe considered a top prospect. Flowers was the Braves 5th ranked prospect.

he traded Javy, Logan and Swisher who all sucked last year.. What did you expect we would get for these guys..

Gilmore also looks like a great talent in several years..

Thome25
12-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Rockabilly--

I'm all for having a great young team like the Rays, Indians, or even the Twins. My concern with that is that we'll suffer through a few more of the "kids can play" years like we did in the late 90's. Fans might not come out and watch that and as a result, we might struggle to sign FA's and keep our own players like the Rays, Twins and even Marlins do.

guillensdisciple
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM

Marquez has good stuff, he just tapered off the previous year, that is why the Yanks weren't hesitant on trading him.

The White Sox pitching coaches have worked miracles on many pitchers with talent, who seemed to be out of it... I expect them to work their miracles on the talent coming into fill the fifth spot.

Plus, the top- tier pitching talent I expect Kenny to receive after a trade of one of our big boppers, will make a great addition to the combo of Danks + Floyd. Sure it might take that talent a year or two to develop, but we waited on Danks and Floyd and look where that got us.

When players are talented they don't lose the talent, they just need proper guidance so they could best utilize their talents.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes, there is no way, if any of them get traded, that the Sox don't receive great talent that might be major league ready.

Imagine, if all works well, we might have the youngest team in baseball full of good baseball players. Locks us in with some of the best in baseball.
Creating all-stars from your system is the best way to win in the bigs. Look at the Phils, Rollins, Utley, Howard, and Hamels were all home- grown talent I believe. Look where they are now, holding on to the trophy the Sox held on to three years before them.

The team of '05 was literally a quick fix, there was no guarantee that we would do that again, because every pitcher caught fire, when they were mediocre at best prior to that (they had a lot of service time, so there was no prior indication that they would repeat). If we can find a base of consistent young talent (Danks and Floyd, who have shown improvement at a young age, which leaves room for optimism in their future) we will find a way to win another championship... hell maybe even three or four.

I know Kenny Williams isn't satisfied with just one championship, he wants to make White Sox baseball the leader in the majors. He wants a dynasty in Chicago, one that will be recorded down in baseball history as one of the best to ever exist.

In Kenny I (we) trust.

I think I just cried a little....:D:

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Rockabilly--

I'm all for having a great young team like the Rays, Indians, or even the Twins. My concern with that is that we'll suffer through a few more of the "kids can play" years like we did in the late 90's. Fans might not come out and watch that and as a result, we might struggle to sign FA's and keep our own players like the Rays, Twins and even Marlins do.

Would you rather have a team of older declining players like we did back in the mid 80's..

Konerko has been falling off since the world series..

even if we keep Thome and Dye they will only be with the Sox for another season and they're gone.. what will the Sox have than

I would like to see KW trade all 3 spend the money on free agents this season as well as next season when a lot more better talent will be available

guillensdisciple
12-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I think I just cried a little....:D:

I had one of those chest- puffed proud moments writing that...

White Sox baseball= #1.

guillensdisciple
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Would you rather have a team of older declining players like we did back in the mid 80's..

even if we keep Thome and Dye they will only be with the Sox for another season and they're gone.. what will the Sox have than

I would like to see KW trade all 3 spend the money on free agents this season as well as next season when a lot more better talent will be available

Crawford and Lackey next year... I think that is the perfect combo of free agents for the Sox.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM

I suppose you slept through 2006 then?

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Konerko hit .313 with 35 HRs in 06....

He also hit 31 HRs in 07 (only batted .259 which isn't good but neither were the sox)....

He hasn't been declining since the WS...He was hurt most of last year and really picked it up in the last month

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Crawford and Lackey next year... I think that is the perfect combo of free agents for the Sox.

that's what I am saying trade PK, Thome and Dye get a ton of younger players than go after top free agents for the next 2 seasons..

Crawford and Lackey would look great in a Sox uniform

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
that's what I am saying trade PK, Thome and Dye get a ton of younger players than go after top free agents for the next 2 seasons..

Rockabilly, how many long term free agent pitcher signings have gone well?

btrain929
12-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Crawford has an option next year that will probably be exercised.

Thome25
12-03-2008, 11:53 AM

I'm not against going young and rebuilding but, the Sox will be hard-pressed to sign free agents when attendance suffers as a result of rebuilding. KW and JR have said time and again that this affects payroll.

guillensdisciple
12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Konerko hit .313 with 35 HRs in 06....

He also hit 31 HRs in 07 (only batted .259 which isn't good but neither were the sox)....

He hasn't been declining since the WS...He was hurt most of last year and really picked it up in the last month

That is why we should consider trading him, we can get GREAT value for him, Dye, or Thome... Thome's value would be less because he is a dh and he is aging, teams won't be dumb enough to give up the best for him, but we can get some good/ really good return.

Dye should haul in an excellent prospect.
Konerko should haul in an excellent prospect.

Trade and run baby! It is time to get younger, become athletic, become more defensive- minded, and become faster.

If all this holds true, I am guaranteeing you that the White Sox not only compete next year, but bring you a more entertaining brand of baseball, one that won't drive you crazy every time a player gets a hit and reaches first base on what should be a double...

In other words you will have to pay less money on damage repair around the house caused by watching baseball.... ain't that grand?

Thome25
12-03-2008, 11:55 AM

Oh Oh....I'll answer that one....Little to none. And I'll raise you.....when was the last time the Sox signed a big-name FA let alone a big name FA pitcher to a multi-year deal?

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 11:55 AM
That is exactly why we don't trade him....you do not sell low! I agree Dye should be traded while his value is high, you could also probably get something for Thome...but if you trade Paulie now you wont get nearly as much as you could...

guillensdisciple
12-03-2008, 11:57 AM
That is exactly why we don't trade him....you do not sell low! I agree Dye should be traded while his value is high, you could also probably get something for Thome...but if you trade Paulie now you wont get nearly as much as you could...

Ooops my bad, you are right, don't know why I didn't think about that.

palehozenychicty
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM

In Kenny I (we) trust.

Exactly. I thought that the 2005 team would be better than advertised, but nobody going into that season thought that we'd win the World Series. Division winner, maybe.

With this model, we at least can build a pipeline towards a consistent product on the field where we're not so dependent on second and third-tier FAs.

It's tough as a franchise to win multiple championships with mostly FAs. They're more overpriced than ever with diminishing returns. It can work once, but you need the homegrown foundation to win a title perennially. Hate on the Sawx all you want, but they've found a nice balance between the farm and major league product where they can fill needs from both ends.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 12:01 PM

So I take if the Sox had the chance to sign C.C you wouldn't do it because other pitchers haven't work out in the past..

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Not for what CC would be asking for no

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Konerko was terrible last year with his defense as well.. you can't blame that on being injured as well.

if he is not the DH I don't want him on the team

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I do not remember him being that bad on defense.....I could be wrong...But I really do not remember thinking he was a liability out there...

doublem23
12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Owens over BA in CF? Are you high?

If BA and Jerry Owens are 2 of your starting OF, it wouldn't even matter.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
So I take if the Sox had the chance to sign C.C you wouldn't do it because other pitchers haven't work out in the past..

There's no way anyone in their right mind should sign CC for a deal longer than 4 years.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I do not remember him being that bad on defense.....I could be wrong...But I really do not remember thinking he was a liability out there...

First base is not a defensive position, and for the most part, PK was at least adequate defensively at first base.

palehozenychicty
12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
There's no way anyone in their right mind should sign CC for a deal longer than 4 years.

Owners don't have right minds. :tongue:

slavko
12-03-2008, 12:12 PM

:rolleyes:This sounds like my stock market strategy. Don't sell low;wait a year and sell lower.

Taliesinrk
12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Exactly. I thought that the 2005 team would be better than advertised, but nobody going into that season thought that we'd win the World Series. Division winner, maybe.

With this model, we at least can build a pipeline towards a consistent product on the field where we're not so dependent on second and third-tier FAs.

It's tough as a franchise to win multiple championships with mostly FAs. They're more overpriced than ever with diminishing returns. It can work once, but you need the homegrown foundation to win a title perennially. Hate on the Sawx all you want, but they've found a nice balance between the farm and major league product where they can fill needs from both ends.

I did. No teal, No Bull****

HomeFish
12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Who's dumb enough to trade for Thome or Konerko?

Thome25
12-03-2008, 12:14 PM

All they need to do is give him 140 million in McDonald's gift cards.:D: Seriously though, he is an injury waiting to happen at his weight. See, Also Colon, Bartolo.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 12:14 PM
First base is not a defensive position, and for the most part, PK was at least adequate defensively at first base.

IMO every postion on the field should be a defensive positon..

Ozzie took PK out of many games last season so Swisher can play a better defensive 1B...

IMO PK is a DH.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 12:16 PM

if a owner can give Zito a 7 yr deal somebody will give CC at least 6 years..

How many years would you have given Johan Santana last year...

doublem23
12-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Ozzie took PK out of many games last season so Swisher can play a better defensive 1B...

IMO PK is a DH.

It is a logical fallacy to conclude that just because Swish was a better defensive 1B that means Paul is bad. Plus, I'm sure benching Konerko in late innings was made easier by the fact that for most of the season, he wasn't hitting anything but pop ups and soft ground balls.

You don't give up offense on the corners for defense. We're not talking about a catcher or shortstop, we're talking about the 3rd least important defensive position in baseball. This is the American League. Offense rules, defense drools.

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 12:18 PM

IMO PK is a DH.

Swisher played so he would stop pouting...

doublem23
12-03-2008, 12:20 PM
if a owner can give Zito a 7 yr deal somebody will give CC at least 6 years..

How many years would you have given Johan Santana last year...

I didn't say CC wouldn't get a 6-7 year deal, but it's also no secret that the people running at least 1/2 of MLB teams are completely ****ing stupid.

Johan is one of those once in a generation type pitchers, who I can justify giving a massive contract, but aside from him I pretty much subscribe to the theory that states you really should never sign pitchers for more than 4 years. Way too risky, way too expensive.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 12:25 PM
This is the American League. Offense rules, defense drools.

If you put that on a T-Shirt, I'd buy it.

Jurr
12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Minnesota took us to the last game of the season with a rebuilding project. It's about time that the Sox got smart about their roster.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Minnesota took us to the last game of the season with a rebuilding project. It's about time that the Sox got smart about their roster.

Minnesota took us to the 163rd game because they play in a pinball machine.

Marqhead
12-03-2008, 12:35 PM

I'll second that!

Thome25
12-03-2008, 12:37 PM

Funniest quote in this thread!!:D: I'm eating and if I had a mouthful while I was reading this I would've spit it out from laughting.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 12:38 PM
MN took us to the 163rd game because of Quentin being injured the last month of the season..

If he was healthy we would have know the Central by at least 4 games..

Thome25
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
MN took us to the 163rd game because of Quentin being injured the last month of the season..

If he was healthy we would have know the Central by at least 4 games..

Yeah because Quentin could pitch and could've took Javy's spot in the rotation which would've stopped him from going 0-4 down the stretch.:rolleyes:

doublem23
12-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah because Quentin could pitch and could've took Javy's spot in the rotation which would've stopped him from going 0-4 down the stretch.:rolleyes:

'08 White Sox before Carlos' injury: 136 G, 639 R, 5.10 RPG
'08 White Sox after Carlos' injury: 26 G, 118 R, 4.54 RPG

PaleHoser
12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh Oh....I'll answer that one....Little to none. And I'll raise you.....when was the last time the Sox signed a big-name FA let alone a big name FA pitcher to a multi-year deal?

Albert Belle and Jaime Navarro. That didn't turn out so well.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Albert Belle and Jaime Navarro. That didn't turn out so well.

Are you kidding? Belle was a monster with the Sox, his 2nd half in 1998 was unbelievable, he was locked in for months. It's not his fault the pitching staff of that '98 team was terrible.

Belle worked out great for us, he ditched the Sox after '98 so we didn't have to pay him **** when his hip gave out 2 years later.

Zisk77
12-03-2008, 01:19 PM
It is a logical fallacy to conclude that just because Swish was a better defensive 1B that means Paul is bad. Plus, I'm sure benching Konerko in late innings was made easier by the fact that for most of the season, he wasn't hitting anything but pop ups and soft ground balls.

You don't give up offense on the corners for defense. We're not talking about a catcher or shortstop, we're talking about the 3rd least important defensive position in baseball. This is the American League. Offense rules, defense drools.

A big reason Swisher went in for paulie in close late games was not becasue paulie was a poor fielder. It was because in those circumstances a sacrifice bunt comes into play. swish has better range and is a lefthanded thrower which gives him a far better opportunity to throw out a runner at 2nd and 3b.

paulie has always been a surehanded firstbaseman with an excellent arm that is great at picking throws out of the dirt. For some reason Paulie struggled defensively mid season this year. might have been the injuries might have been that he was carrying his plate struggles to the field.

All that being said, the future for a paulie would better be served as a DH. While not a defensive liability, his lack of range and additional liability of playing everday probably decreases his offensive production.

The ideal would be to find a surehanded lefty throwing slugger to play 1b who could be aggressive on fielding bunts.

the1tab
12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Are you kidding? Belle was a monster with the Sox, his 2nd half in 1998 was unbelievable, he was locked in for months. It's not his fault the pitching staff of that '98 team was terrible.

Belle worked out great for us, he ditched the Sox after '98 so we didn't have to pay him **** when his hip gave out 2 years later.

'Joey' Belle was nothing but a bomber that put up empty, "Mark Grace Numbers" - he hit solo shots when the team was down three, hit the bases loaded double then they were chasing 8, etc. When you're that far out of it, teams will pitch to you because they don't fear anything else on the team.

We shouldn't have started paying his **** after A) he corked his bat and then snuck thru the ceiling to get it back and B) almost shot a kid for egging his house on Halloween.

JB98
12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
'08 White Sox before Carlos' injury: 136 G, 639 R, 5.10 RPG
'08 White Sox after Carlos' injury: 26 G, 118 R, 4.54 RPG

Which is why Quentin should have won the MVP. The Sox were not a very good offensive team in September without him, and it was reflected in their record. September was the only losing month of the season.

Getting back to the thread topic, there's no way BOTH Konerko and Thome get traded. I think either Konerko OR Dye will go, but not both. I think the Sox can afford to trade one of those three and still have a shot to win in 2009, but not two.

I don't see how Thome gets traded. He could only go to an AL team in need of a DH, and he'd have to refusal rights to any deal. There are too many mitigating factors involved in a potential Thome trade. In addition, I'm not sure we want to trade him because right now he is the only proven left-handed power source on the roster.

whitem0nkey
12-03-2008, 01:33 PM

I laughed so hard milk came out of my nose, and i'm not drinking any milk

Tekijawa
12-03-2008, 01:50 PM

CF-Owens
2b-Getz
RF-Quentin
SS-TCM
C-AJ Pierzynski
1B-Fields
DH-?
3B-Betemit
LF-Anderson

That just means that the 3 games a month that we win 14-3 will be 4-3 and we have a lot better chance to win the games that we lost 0-1 or 1-2... I'm up for trading all of them.

forte
12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Funniest quote in this thread!!:D: I'm eating and if I had a mouthful while I was reading this I would've spit it out from laughting.

:?:

hi im skot
12-03-2008, 04:17 PM
:?:

You see, Thome25 was eating food as he perused the board. In between bites, Thome25 read Doub's comment about the Metrodome being a pinball machine.

Thome25 was saying that if he had been in the middle of a bite, his lunch would have ended up all over his computer screen.

Thankfully food was not spit and Thome (and his office's cleaning crew) avoided an awful mess.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
All that being said, the future for a paulie would better be served as a DH. While not a defensive liability, his lack of range and additional liability of playing everday probably decreases his offensive production.

Oh, yeah I agree... Paul's only got a few years (tops) left at first base before he'd be too big a defensive liability, but I don't think its outrageous to count on him for at least league average defense at 1B in 2009. Looking at the roster right now, we don't have many other options. I'm much more worried about Paul's bat now than his leather.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Who's dumb enough to trade for Thome or Konerko?
Yeah, who would want last year's third best DH?