PDA

View Full Version : Nick Markakis might be on the trading block??

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Jim Palmer was talking about the Orioles off season and mention that the Orioles might be willing to trade Markakis, if they can't come to agreement about an extension...

What would it take to get this amazing player as our next RF for many years to come..

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Stop it.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Stop it.

what the hell is wrong with talking about a player who might be on the trading block..

that is what this site is for.. if you don't like my threads don't read them its that simple..

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 08:16 AM
what the hell is wrong with talking about a player who might be on the trading block..

that is what this site is for.. if you don't like my threads don't read them its that simple..
He's not on the trading block. If he was, it would require a ridiculous haul to acquire him. He's the best RF in baseball and we simply don't have enough.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 08:27 AM
He's not on the trading block. If he was, it would require a ridiculous haul to acquire him. He's the best RF in baseball and we simply don't have enough.

If A Rod can be traded any player can be.. Palmer said he could be on the trade market, he knows a lot more about Orioles baseball than you or I know...

beasly213
12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
If A Rod can be traded any player can be.. Palmer said he could be on the trade market, he knows a lot more about Orioles baseball than you or I know...

:popcorn:

kittle42
12-03-2008, 09:12 AM
I am fine with this thread because it was not simply "Nick Markakis?"

doublem23
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM

The year A-Rod was traded he was being paid roughly $19.5 million more than Markakis will make this year.

I have a better chance of being the Sox's Opening Day RF than Nick Markakis does.

MeteorsSox4367
12-03-2008, 09:29 AM
As someone who is willing to publicly admit that the Orioles are one of his favorite AL teams, I can't see any way they trade Markakis. The Orioles unfortunately have so few players worth a darn that Markakis would have to be considered untouchable.

ChiSoxFan81
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
It's too bad Javy went to ATL. We could've gotten Markakis and Roberts for him.

Thome25
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM

Where's the teal?

:tealpolice:

kittle42
12-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Where's the teal?

Was it really needed?

ChiSoxFan81
12-03-2008, 09:48 AM
:lol: Implied.

Of course, subtlety is not always recognized around here....

Thome25
12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Was it really needed?

With the completely serious, off-the-wall stuff that gets posted here lately......yes it was. It's hard to tell if someone honestly thinks these insane trade ideas are true or not.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 09:52 AM
The year A-Rod was traded he was being paid roughly $19.5 million more than Markakis will make this year.

I have a better chance of being the Sox's Opening Day RF than Nick Markakis does.

I never said Markasis will be on the Sox next year or that he will be traded..

I am just reporting what a lifelong Orioles guy said and what it might take to get Markasis..

last season from reports Sox were closing to get Cabrera with the talent that we have.. the Sox have much better talent to get this fine player.

Thome25
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Any conversation with the Orioles about Roberts OR Markakis begins and ends with either the names Danks OR Floyd. Thanks but no thanks!!

guillensdisciple
12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Um, what makes Markakis so great, last year wasn't exactly godly.
To be claimed the best RF in the game is a bit of a stretch isn't it? Here let me show you better...

.306, 20hr, 87 rbi, and 106 runs isn't bad at all
but there are better right fielders offensively

Ichiro, Guerrero, Ludwick, Rios, (Dye?).

Defensively and potential wise Markakis is the top, so yes, he will be an impossible get for the White Sox. I expect him to be signed for a long time and to be the star of the Baltimore franchise

He will be the best offensive right fielder in a few years as well, just not now, but Baltimore realizes that, unless they are the dumbest franchise known to man. In which case, the Sox will get Markakis.

AZChiSoxFan
12-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Classic!

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Um, what makes Markakis so great, last year wasn't exactly godly.
To be claimed the best RF in the game is a bit of a stretch isn't it? Here let me show you better...

.306, 20hr, 87 rbi, and 106 runs isn't bad at all
but there are better right fielders offensively

Ichiro, Guerrero, Ludwick, Rios, (Dye?).

Defensively and potential wise Markakis is the top, so yes, he will be an impossible get for the White Sox. I expect him to be signed for a long time and to be the star of the Baltimore franchise

He will be the best offensive right fielder in a few years as well, just not now, but Baltimore realizes that, unless they are the dumbest franchise known to man. In which case, the Sox will get Markakis.
He's the best in the game when considering offense as well as defense.

Rockabilly
12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
He's the best in the game when considering offense as well as defense.

I would have Ichrio slightly ahead of Markasis when it comes to both..

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I would have Ichrio slightly ahead of Markasis when it comes to both..
Are you high?

Marqhead
12-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I think the broadcasting booth would explode with all the Greek love from Hawk.

He is one of my favorite players in the game right now.

That being said I think we have a 0% chance of getting him.

seventyseven
12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
He's the best RF in baseball

I'll take Ichiro.

SoxFan88
12-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Any conversation with the Orioles about Roberts OR Markakis begins and ends with either the names Danks OR Floyd. Thanks but no thanks!!

I wouldn't trade either of them for Roberts but Markakis would be one of the few players I would trade them for.... whether or not he can be called the best all around RF is up for debate but he is def in my top 3... Floyd had a great year and I expect him to do well in 09' but if we could bring in Markakis I would say make the trade

Though I doubt the Orioles would trade Markakis away

NardiWasHere
12-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't think there is anyone on the Sox that I would not give straight up for Markakis.

Zisk77
12-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't think there is anyone on the Sox that I would not give straight up for Markakis.

How many innings can Nick throw?

NardiWasHere
12-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Well he was drafted as a pitcher.....

SoxFan88
12-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Which pitcher will post a .406 OBP?

You never wanna trade away good young pitching but when you have a chance to acquire possibly the best RF in baseball (who is 25) you make the trade.

cbrownson13
12-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Not gonna happen.

The Orioles are building their future around him and Adam Jones.

He's still under control through 2011 and, while extension conversations were recently put on hold for a while, the O's are making an effort to lock him up.

And it would way take way too much to get him.

munchman33
12-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Markakis is probably the most underrated player in baseball. That phrase gets overused, but it's apt here. He's a star, and nobody knows him. On the surface, numbers don't tell the whole story either. But, in a key situation, there are few people you'd rather not face.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I'll take Ichiro.
I repeat: are you high?

munchman33
12-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I repeat: are you high?

I'd take Markakis too. But youth and expectations of the future have a lot to do with that. Three years ago Ichiro >>> today Markakis.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd take Markakis too. But youth and expectations of the future have a lot to do with that. Three years ago Ichiro >>> today Markakis.
I guess 2004 Ichiro. But Markakis is fantastic, and right now is Ichiro's defensive equal. Offensively, it's not even close.

Lukin13
12-03-2008, 07:13 PM
You can make a case that as of 12/4/08 Markakis is the most valuable position player in baseball.

Domeshot17
12-03-2008, 07:22 PM
You can make a case that as of 12/4/08 Markakis is the most valuable position player in baseball.

And statements like this make the case as of 12/4/2008 Markakis is the most over rated played in baseball.

He is very good, but best hitter in baseball? GMAB.

One Word

Pujols

SoxFan88
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
And statements like this make the case as of 12/4/2008 Markakis is the most over rated played in baseball.

One Word

Pujols

Best Hitter? NO... but im not sure anyone argued that... just that he is one of the best "all-around" players (RF defense is much more valuable than 1B)

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
RF defense is much more valuable than 1B

I know some PK fans who would go to war with you over that statement.

SoxFan88
12-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I know some PK fans who would go to war with you over that statement.

The same fans that continue to ask who would play 1B if PK was traded as if it is the hardest position to play?

chunk
12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Considering the O's ask for the moon for Roberts they'd require half our roster for Markakis.

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
The same fans that continue to ask who would play 1B if PK was traded as if it is the hardest position to play?

Lots of overlap on that Venn Diagram, to be sure.

Domeshot17
12-03-2008, 08:09 PM

I hate this ignorant arguement. 1b defense is not the most important in the field, but its probably a harder position to play than, say, corner OF. Not many guys have been thrown into the corners that could not handle it, but plenty of Catcher's have made terrible adjustments to 1b.

A lot more goes into playing 1b then stand and catch ball.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I hate this ignorant arguement. 1b defense is not the most important in the field, but its probably a harder position to play than, say, corner OF. Not many guys have been thrown into the corners that could not handle it, but plenty of Catcher's have made terrible adjustments to 1b.

Both RF and LF are more difficult to play than 1B.

Domeshot17
12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Both RF and LF are more difficult to play than 1B.

Maybe RF, Definitely not LF. If it was, guys like Griffey, Manny, basically any power hitting crap fielding OF would be moved to first.

The difference is 1b is an offense first position, where corner OF some teams can live with Defense.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Maybe RF, Definitely not LF. If it was, guys like Griffey, Manny, basically any power hitting crap fielding OF would be moved to first.

The difference is 1b is an offense first position, where corner OF some teams can live with Defense.
It's not that cut and dry at all. There's pretty simple reasoning for why both Manny and Griffey have not yet been moved to 1B.

Domeshot17
12-03-2008, 08:24 PM
It's not that cut and dry at all. There's pretty simple reasoning for why both Manny and Griffey have not yet been moved to 1B.

Neither ever will be. The DH has completely changed the idea that any schmuck can handle 1b. However, when guys start to lose range at their position, they end up in the Corner OF a lot more than 1b.

Like I said, any fan with 1/2 a brain knows 1b is more than stand and catch ball. Mike Piazza is a classic example. He was tried at 1b, and was so horrible at scooping balls out of the dirt he ended up a DH.

1b is just a very different skill set. Quick front to back steps, fast 1 to 2 step footwork left to right, softer hands and timing. The only position similiar to it is 3b, but 3b comes with more left to right steps and a need for quicker instincts.

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2008, 08:28 PM

You're right. Turning the 3-6-3 double play is both extremely difficult and extremely important. Just ask Jerry Manuel.

Domeshot17
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
You're right. Turning the 3-6-3 double play is both extremely difficult and extremely important. Just ask Jerry Manuel.

I know you hate Paulie with a firey Passion, but I don't think you realize how lucky we have been with him defensively. Put some crappy 1b there, and for years it could have been "Uribe/Cabrera with a great play, long throw, and (insert 1b here) can't pick it out of the dirt".

I am not saying first base is as hard as any skill position like SS/3b/CF, but its on par with Corner OF.

Craig Grebeck
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Neither ever will be. The DH has completely changed the idea that any schmuck can handle 1b. However, when guys start to lose range at their position, they end up in the Corner OF a lot more than 1b.

Like I said, any fan with 1/2 a brain knows 1b is more than stand and catch ball. Mike Piazza is a classic example. He was tried at 1b, and was so horrible at scooping balls out of the dirt he ended up a DH.

1b is just a very different skill set. Quick front to back steps, fast 1 to 2 step footwork left to right, softer hands and timing. The only position similiar to it is 3b, but 3b comes with more left to right steps and a need for quicker instincts.
I still don't understand what you're talking about. Playing the OF involves covering a much larger area and dealing with the wall. Corner OF also have to make throws into the infield and to home plate.

To me, the fact that you mentioned Griffey and Manny as examples is kind of insane.

Domeshot17
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
I still don't understand what you're talking about. Playing the OF involves covering a much larger area and dealing with the wall. Corner OF also have to make throws into the infield and to home plate.

To me, the fact that you mentioned Griffey and Manny as examples is kind of insane.

like I said, its a totally different skill set, I agree. the same way PK could never handle the OF, Manny and Griffey would be incredibly piss poor 1b. The idea you can take anyone in the game and stick them at first base is just a poor and uneducated thought process that I was arguing. While it is easier to learn then say, SS or CF or 3b, it is probably the same difficulty as moving to LF.

Lukin13
12-04-2008, 11:04 AM

One Word

Pujols

I'll GYOB! Sweet acronym....

Pujols makes $16,000,000 in '09 and '10, and has a $5,000,000 buyout for 2011.

Markakis on the other hand is under team control until 2011 and was reportedly asking for a "Pedroia or Longoria" type deal up until this week (these deals that the young stars are now requesting are seen as very attractive to the organization).

Not only does Albert make more money in the first week than Nick makes all year, Pujols is also four years older and has had some (yes, minor) injury concerns.

Both are excellent defenders, but there is no argument which position is more important defensively.

I expected some disagreement with my post, but I expected younger names like Longoria, and maybe even very young players like either of the Uptons.

People were asking what it would take to get Markakis and I was just pointing out that Markakis might cost KW more than any other position player in baseball.

Pujols and Arod might put up the best numbers but Markakis is the MOST VALUABLE player in baseball right now.