PDA

View Full Version : Brian Roberts?

gr8mexico
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Would the Sox consider trading for Brian Roberts now? and What would it take to get Brian Roberts?

GregO23
12-02-2008, 08:47 PM
We have 37 2nd basemen right now. Our starting 2B will consist of either Chris Getz, Lilliledge, Nix, or Betemit.

chisoxmike
12-02-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.ezdiyelectricity.com/images/icons/question-mark1a.jpg

gr8mexico
12-02-2008, 09:00 PM
We have 37 2nd basemen right now. Our starting 2B will consist of either Chris Getz, Lilliledge, Nix, or Betemit.
Which one of does 37 2nd basemen are leadoff hitters?

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2008, 09:01 PM
And if you'd take either of those options over Roberts, you're nuts.

If the O's are looking for quantity over quality, maybe. I don't know much about these guys we just got from Atlanta, so maybe we have a shot. That would then fill the lead off need and if we got two more pitchers (or another front line guy pushing either Floyd or Buerhle back to four), a third baseman and some bullpen help, we'd be set!

Tragg
12-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Why would tonight's trade for a middle infielder bring us closer to a middle infielder? The price for this rent is exhorbitant anyway.

getonbckthr
12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I would prefer signing Furcal for 2nd and a package of Lillibridge and piece(s) to Arizona for Eric Byrnes. They are losing Hudson and i'm not sure they have an in-house option that is ready.

BadBobbyJenks
12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I would prefer signing Furcal for 2nd and a package of Lillibridge and piece(s) to Arizona for Eric Byrnes. They are losing Hudson and i'm not sure they have an in-house option that is ready.

Byrnes sucks and has a bad contract. No thanks.

GregO23
12-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Which one of does 37 2nd basemen are leadoff hitters?

none but i was mostly saying this becuase we have such a logjam at the postion where we are almost limited to look for a CF who can leadoff. Does anyone know if Ichiro will be on the block? I doubt it.

I would love to have Roberts, but it wouldnt make sense for KW to trade for Lilibridge if he were to go hard for Roberts, unless Brent or Getz would be in aRoberts deal?

voodoochile
12-02-2008, 11:36 PM
WOOHOO!

What is this like the 10th Brian Roberts thread?

I sincerely doubt KW is looking at any middle IF at the moment.

SP and CF are much bigger needs.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Just trade one of our middle infielders (2B or SS, doesn't matter) to the Dodgers for Pierre to be our CF/leadoff, have them kick in about 15 million dollars making him a 5 million/year player, and call it a day.

kittle42
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Yes! More Roberts and Pierre talk!

btrain929
12-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes! More Roberts and Pierre talk!

It truly wouldn't be considered the "off-season" without it.

WhiteSox5187
12-03-2008, 12:28 AM
WOOHOO!

What is this like the 10th Brian Roberts thread?

I sincerely doubt KW is looking at any middle IF at the moment.

SP and CF are much bigger needs.
I think that your 2009 CFer will be Brian Anderson (as I have stated on here many a time, Kenny wouldn't give up BA in the Junior trade because "He's our starting CF next year"). That leaves us with two holes in the rotation and question marks at third and second base with one of those guys needing to be a leadoff hitter. Roberts would certainly answer two of those question marks.

I also think we need help with our bullpen. It was 2007 bad coming down the stretch.

DoItForDanPasqua
12-03-2008, 01:03 AM
I would love to see the Sox get Brian Roberts. Batting BA ninth and Roberts lead off would provide the baserunning threat the Sox lacked in 2008. Still, I don't see what the Sox have to offer for Roberts. Baltimore has shown that they are not going to give him up without a lot in return.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 01:05 AM
I would love to see the Sox get Brian Roberts. Batting BA ninth and Roberts lead off would provide the baserunning threat the Sox lacked in 2008. Still, I don't see what the Sox have to offer for Roberts. Baltimore has shown that they are not going to give him up without a lot in return.

Then we'll just wait 1 more year and sign him as a FA. Done :D:

voodoochile
12-03-2008, 01:06 AM
I think that your 2009 CFer will be Brian Anderson (as I have stated on here many a time, Kenny wouldn't give up BA in the Junior trade because "He's our starting CF next year"). That leaves us with two holes in the rotation and question marks at third and second base with one of those guys needing to be a leadoff hitter. Roberts would certainly answer two of those question marks.

I also think we need help with our bullpen. It was 2007 bad coming down the stretch.

Well he'd be a one year rental (I thought he was signed longer than that). Still the guy's a known cheat. I hate investing in people who might burn you with a false positive at the wrong time...

DoItForDanPasqua
12-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Then we'll just wait 1 more year and sign him as a FA. Done :D:

What a plan! I like the way you guys think on Foster.

gr8mexico
12-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Well he'd be a one year rental (I thought he was signed longer than that). Still the guy's a known cheat. I hate investing in people who might burn you with a false positive at the wrong time...
You must hate the Tyler Flower trade then:?:

wulfy
12-03-2008, 08:50 AM
The Bright One's Joe Cowley (take it for what it's worth) said on the Score this morning that he thinks Orlando Hudson is going to be heavily pursued by the Sox.

Not sure a long term acquisition like that makes sense if (and it's a big if) you think you have long-term solutions for your infield in the minors. With Alexi moving to SS and the acquisition of Viciedo, you have to think that they are probably looking at Beckham at 2B ...

sox1970
12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
The Bright One's Joe Cowley (take it for what it's worth) said on the Score this morning that he thinks Orlando Hudson is going to be heavily pursued by the Sox.

Not sure a long term acquisition like that makes sense if (and it's a big if) you think you have long-term solutions for your infield in the minors. With Alexei moving to SS and the acquisition of Viciedo, you have to think that they are probably looking at Beckham at 2B ...

If they sign Hudson to a 3-4 year deal, and they've told Beckham he's playing SS exclusively in the minors in 2009, then Ramirez is either moving to CF or he's getting traded.

This glut of infielders the Sox have brought on makes me think Ramirez isn't untouchable.

wulfy
12-03-2008, 09:17 AM
This glut of infielders the Sox have brought on makes me think Ramirez isn't untouchable.

The only good thing about that is that I guess they'd be selling high ...

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Brian Roberts = Pipe dream

I do not see the sox trading Alexei (yet) he is a STEAL with his contract. Also, that would not help our future signings from Cuba...

kittle42
12-03-2008, 09:30 AM
If they sign Hudson to a 3-4 year deal, and they've told Beckham he's playing SS exclusively in the minors in 2009, then Ramirez is either moving to CF or he's getting traded.

Why does everyone assume Beckham will pan out? Is it the Sox' wonderful history of success with first-round picks?

voodoochile
12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
You must hate the Tyler Flower trade then:?:
That wasn't a trade for Tyler Flowers, it was a trade to free up $10M. Not happy to hear the kid tested positive, but at least he's 3 years away from burning the club. Roberts would be the starting 2B and LOH. That's a lot to lose if the guy gets careless making a push in his contract year...

voodoochile
12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Why does everyone assuem Beckham will pan out? Is it the Sox' wonderful history of success with first-round picks?

It's what he's done since he got drafted - tear up A ball and then tear up the AFL. Given his age and experience playing in high pressure settings, he shouldn't take 4 years to develop. Scouts in the AFL were talking about him being ready by June. I guess we'll see in ST...

Thome25
12-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Please oh please DO NOT let the Sox trade for Roberts. It's too hefty a price to pay for a player who is quite possibly a rental. Wait and if they really want him, sign him as a FA after '09.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Why does everyone assume Beckham will pan out? Is it the Sox' wonderful history of success with first-round picks?

Beckham is the first Sox draft pick taken in the Top 10 since, I don't know... The Big Hurt? Plus, in his limited playing time since signing, his numbers have been rather eye-popping.

I'm usually pessimistic when it comes to our prospects (I think the Sox have maybe 3, 4 tops, guys in the farm system who might one day be productive MLB players), but Beckham has shown all the signs of a guy who will be an anchor in the infield.

BadBobbyJenks
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Please oh please DO NOT let the Sox trade for Roberts. It's too hefty a price to pay for a player who is quite possibly a rental. Wait and if they really want him, sign him as a FA after '09.

He will be type A though and net us two draft picks when he leaves anyway. Perfect stop gap for Beckham in my opinion.

oeo
12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
He will be type A though and net us two draft picks when he leaves anyway. Perfect stop gap for Beckham in my opinion.

The two draft picks wouldn't be worth what we would have to give up now. It's not an Orlando Cabrera situation...the Orioles are asking for the world. If you trade for Roberts, you have to re-sign him.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
What a plan! I like the way you guys think on Foster.

:rolling::rolling:

BadBobbyJenks
12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
The two draft picks wouldn't be worth what we would have to give up now. It's not an Orlando Cabrera situation...the Orioles are asking for the world. If you trade for Roberts, you have to re-sign him.

Well obviously it depends on what it takes to get him, but everyone is making a big deal about a rental and that is exactly what we need before Beckham is ready.

oeo
12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Well obviously it depends on what it takes to get him, but everyone is making a big deal about a rental and that is exactly what we need before Beckham is ready.

You don't trade the farm for a rental, and that's what we'd be doing.

Thome25
12-03-2008, 11:31 AM

I've said it in another thread and I'll say it here: If the Sox want Roberts or Markakis the conversation begins and ends with us giving up either Danks or Floyd. Thanks but NO THANKS.

BadBobbyJenks
12-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I've said it in another thread and I'll say it here: If the Sox want Roberts or Markakis the conversation begins and ends with us giving up either Danks or Floyd. Thanks but NO THANKS.

Roberts' value is not on par with Markakis, try again.

BadBobbyJenks
12-03-2008, 11:43 AM
You don't trade the farm for a rental, and that's what we'd be doing.

Would you have traded Nick Swisher and Javy Vazquez for Brian Roberts?

Thome25
12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Would you have traded Nick Swisher and Javy Vazquez for Brian Roberts?

That would not have happened. The Orioles don't want nor do they have any use for our junk players. They want good young talent. They would probably want Danks, Floyd or Poreda in a deal for Roberts.

BadBobbyJenks
12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
That would not have happened. The Orioles don't want nor do they have any use for our junk players. They want good young talent. They would probably want Danks, Floyd or Poreda in a deal for Roberts.

Stick with me, I did not suggest that could have happened, but if we swung everything we got from those two players to the Orioles, it is essence trading Swisher and Javy for Brian Roberts.

btrain929
12-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Stick with me, I did not suggest that could have happened, but if we swung everything we got from those two players to the Orioles, it is essence trading Swisher and Javy for Brian Roberts.

For 1 year of Roberts, no.

Tragg
12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
At a rental price, perhaps. But not at what the ORioles are asking.

WhiteSox5187
12-03-2008, 12:28 PM
he hasn't tested positive since that time and can obviously still produce, I'd take a chance on him. Also why is everyone ruling out the possibility we'd re-sign him??

BadBobbyJenks
12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
For 1 year of Roberts, no.

You wouldn't have been excited if KW had made a Swisher and Javy for Brian Roberts deal?

getonbckthr
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
If this Flowers kid is as good as advertised I could see Baltimore considering a package centered around him. Baltimore will be in a situation where if they don't resign him they will lose for nothing at the end of next season or take a lesser package now. What teams are in our way?
-Cubs- They are gonna get Peavy. There is nobody left to get him and it appears SD/Peavy have crossed the line of turning around. Their Roberts pieces will be spent there.
-SF- They would need to give up Sanchez, Cain or Lincecum....ain't happenng.
-A's- They are gonna sign Furcal and won't really need Roberts at that point.
-LAD- Possible but I haven't heard them linked at all.
-Twins- I can't see them giving up the prospects for 1 year of Roberts or resigning him.
-NYM- This would make so much sense. Package of F-Mart (sorry had to do it) and Pelfrey would be interesting.
I don't see anywhere else really?

Craig Grebeck
12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
If this Flowers kid is as good as advertised I could see Baltimore considering a package centered around him. Baltimore will be in a situation where if they don't resign him they will lose for nothing at the end of next season or take a lesser package now. What teams are in our way?
-Cubs- They are gonna get Peavy. There is nobody left to get him and it appears SD/Peavy have crossed the line of turning around. Their Roberts pieces will be spent there.
-SF- They would need to give up Sanchez, Cain or Lincecum....ain't happenng.
-A's- They are gonna sign Furcal and won't really need Roberts at that point.
-LAD- Possible but I haven't heard them linked at all.
-Twins- I can't see them giving up the prospects for 1 year of Roberts or resigning him.
-NYM- This would make so much sense. Package of F-Mart (sorry had to do it) and Pelfrey would be interesting.
I don't see anywhere else really?
Baltimore would love the two draft picks.

getonbckthr
12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Baltimore would love the two draft picks.
I don't know. McFAIL, by many people, is considered a quanity opposed to quality guy.