PDA

View Full Version : Brother of Henry Blanco Killed

soxfan43
12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Horrible story here. The brother of Henry Blanco was kidnapped and murdered.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081202&content_id=3698518&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081202&content_id=3698518&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb)

thomas35forever
12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Awful story.:(:

Rockabilly
12-02-2008, 06:20 PM
a real sad story...

my prayers are with Henry and his family

MarkZ35
12-02-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't quite undertsand the entire story but on ESPN they said that the ransom was only $19,000 in American money. Why wouldn't Blanco have just given them the money. I would think that it would be worth it even if it wasn't a sierous threat. Which it was.

jamokes
12-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Let's hope this type of thing doesn't become the next fad.

DumpJerry
12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't quite undertsand the entire story but on ESPN they said that the ransom was only $19,000 in American money. Why wouldn't Blanco have just given them the money. I would think that it would be worth it even if it wasn't a sierous threat. Which it was.
Paying a ransom demand means the person will be released? I guess if it is delivered by Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, it will work.

Horrible story, my thoughts are with his family.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-03-2008, 02:38 AM
First of all, this is a horrible story. Just very sad and disturbing.

But I have to ask, why is his family still in Venezuela? I know it's there home and what not, but they had to have known something like this was a possibility.

soxfanatlanta
12-03-2008, 07:41 AM

It happens frequently down there. What a terrible story.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 08:23 AM

But I have to ask, why is his family still in Venezuela? I know it's there home and what not, but they had to have known something like this was a possibility.

We had the same discussion a while back when Jennifer Hudson's family was killed in Englewood. Venezuela is their home, it's very difficult for people to just uproot their lives and move thousands of miles away. Plus, as the Steve Smith robbery, Sean Taylor robbery, etc. have shown recently, it's not like moving to America is some automatic guarantee of safety, even for the rich and famous.

I'm sure that probably 99.9% of the details behind this story will never be revealed. All you can do is pray for the family and hope that the people responsible are brought to justice.

esbrechtel
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I heard about this on the radio...what a tragic story...:whiner:

Frontman
12-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Add this to the list of "when I feel for an athlete."

Thoughts and prayers.

roylestillman
12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
This must scare the hell out of Ozzie. It seems like it happens a lot in Venezuala and the Dominican - kidnapping the family members of those that have money. The ending is never good.

Frontman
12-03-2008, 11:03 AM
This must scare the hell out of Ozzie. It seems like it happens a lot in Venezuala and the Dominican - kidnapping the family members of those that have money. The ending is never good.

Probably one reason Ozzie and his family became US citizens and now make their home Stateside.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
We had the same discussion a while back when Jennifer Hudson's family was killed in Englewood. Venezuela is their home, it's very difficult for people to just uproot their lives and move thousands of miles away. Plus, as the Steve Smith robbery, Sean Taylor robbery, etc. have shown recently, it's not like moving to America is some automatic guarantee of safety, even for the rich and famous.

I'm sure that probably 99.9% of the details behind this story will never be revealed. All you can do is pray for the family and hope that the people responsible are brought to justice.

I hear what you're saying but truthfully, NFL and/or NBA players and MLB players can't be compared. I'm not saying all MLB players are perfect, but the lifestyles in the NFL and NBA are completely different than the lifestyles in MLB. Don't ask me why or how, but the only crimes MLB players commit are drug related crap (not cocaine and what not, but steroids and what not lol). NFL and NBA players? Drugs, guns, shootings, getting shot at, beating up strippers, shooting people up at nightclubs, attacking coaches/staff members (although Chacon did attack a GM last year and Manny did shove a staff member, but aside from those 2, very rare), etc.

And maybe it has a lot to do with the way these guys are raised. Baseball players always seemed to be surrounded by a team, family, and people who look after them. Then there are those MLB players from other countries who are just so happy to make it to the USA and be able to play the game they love, make a lot of money, provide for their families, bring their families here with them, and are so humbled by all this that they don't get involved in any other crap that would bring them drama. Most NBA players probably played street ball growing up and dealt with a lot of fighting, drugs, gang-related activity, etc. NFL players, you have to believe some of these guys had a rough upbringing and they hit the way they hit to take out some of the anger and frustration buried deep inside lol.

I hope this doesn't spark up a racial debate because that's not my point. But the lifestyles that surround these players, is my point. Maybe it has to do with MLB players having to play 162 games during the season and barely having time to go out and party (that's not to say that some guys don't find the time to party)? Unlike the NFL which schedules each team once a week and the NBA which doesn't allow teams to play more than 2 days in a row (some times they only play 2 games a week).

But honestly, ask yourselves this; when is the last time an active MLB player was involved in some sort of off the field shooting or crime of some sort (non-steroids related)? You maybe able to dig up one or two stories that I am totally forgetting right now, but it is very rare.

Lorenzo Barcelo
12-03-2008, 12:28 PM
\? You maybe able to dig up one or two stories that I am totally forgetting right now, but it is very rare.

Juan Uribe?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Juan Uribe?

That's one. I can name you ten if not twenty NFL/NBA players for every Juan Uribe you throw at me. And we still don't know that whole story.

PaleHoser
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM

Already is. Ugueth Urbina's mother was kidnapped and held for ransom (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1994812) a few years ago. That was before his current legal issues.

Here's hoping Ozzie and his loved ones will spend their entire off-season in Miami. :gulp:

chaerulez
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM

It's their home country. They like living there. They have friends and family.

As for the ransom, the police down there tell players not to pay the ransom as it doesn't A) automatically mean anyone gets released and B) it sends a precedent that these people get paid will encourages more kidnappings

MHOUSE
12-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Not that I have any real-life experience, but I imagine you can't just fork over a personal check and everything will be ok. They'll ask for more, kidnap someone else, or the cops are possibly even in on it. You either have to hire John Creasy (http://geneve.cine.ch/images/affiches/original/55744.jpg) or Terry Thorne (http://www.nowt2do.co.uk/images/full/proofoflife.png), or take your chances and hope for the best. Terrible story, I also hope this does not become a trend for hispanic athletes.

Konerko05
12-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Juan Uribe?

I'm not getting into 84's whole argument, but to compare Juan Uribe to an athlete involved in a nightclub shootout is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when you consider the topic you are posting in.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-04-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm not getting into 84's whole argument, but to compare Juan Uribe to an athlete involved in a nightclub shootout is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when you consider the topic you are posting in.

actually.... uribe's story was pretty bad. at least in a nightclub "shootout", there's usually thugs shooting thugs. no one feels sorry for either side. in uribe's situation, from what i remember, it may have been a few innocent people.

Konerko05
12-04-2008, 03:18 AM
actually.... uribe's story was pretty bad. at least in a nightclub "shootout", there's usually thugs shooting thugs. no one feels sorry for either side. in uribe's situation, from what i remember, it may have been a few innocent people.

Ok, I'm not going to go any further with this argument. It's starting to turn into some people's lives are more important than others.