PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cummings?

doublem23
12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I know the Sox are still in the market for a pitcher... OK, so the guy's been dead for 80 years, but damn, look at that career ERA. Plus, he invented the curveball, so he could be a mentor or something to the younger guys. I say dig his bones up and at least give him a chance to win the 5th spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Cummings

oeo
12-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Can't be any worse than Sidney Ponson.

veeter
12-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I love her movies...oh wait.

hi im skot
12-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Coop'll fix 'em.

JermaineDye05
12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I love her movies...oh wait.

Apparently I'm not the only one on this board with a dirty mind :D:. I'd hate to be a guy named that nowadays, school would be hell.

thomas35forever
12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
:threadsucks

Thome25
12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Apparently I'm not the only one on this board with a dirty mind :D:. I'd hate to be a guy named that nowadays, school would be hell.

Might as well have been named "kick my ass on the playground.":D:

Thome25
12-02-2008, 12:26 PM
:threadsucks

No this thread doesn't suck......the million and a half threads that are purely the OP's idle speculation SUCK. This one gives us some much needed comic relief.

The random speculation threads need to stop. I mean do people around here honestly think that just because they themselves thought up some lame trade or signing that KW and the White Sox will actually do it?

Unless you have KW on speed dial or you're actually THE KW then these speculation threads mean NOTHING. Do some members on here think KW or JR read these boards? The only ones that mean something are the threads that are based on actual rumors and whisperings.

spawn
12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
:threadrules:

:rolling:

kittle42
12-02-2008, 12:31 PM
No this thread doesn't suck......the million and a half threads that are purely the OP's idle speculation SUCK. This one gives us some much needed comic relief.

The random speculation threads need to stop. I mean do people around here honestly think that just because they themselves thought up some lame trade or signing that KW and the White Sox will actually do it?

Unless you have KW on speed dial or you're actually THE KW then these speculation threads mean NOTHING. Do some members on here think KW or JR read these boards? The only ones that mean something are the threads that are based on actual rumors and whisperings.

I don't mind talking about things that may be realistic (i.e. trading Dye and signing Abreu), but it seems like some people are just waiting for the names of any crap at all to fall off the waiver wires and then posting NAME? threads about whether the Sox should sign him. Lame.

DumpJerry
12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Ask Lovie Smith how it feels.

Personally, I've been hoping to see Christy Mathewson in a Sox uni. Lifetime ERA of 2.13 (17 seasons!), SO 2502, BB only 844 (they did not score IBBs when he played), all this with 4,780 innings pitched.

I'm just not sure if the Reds still hold the rights to him.

spawn
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't mind talking about things that may be realistic (i.e. trading Dye and signing Abreu), but it seems like some people are just waiting for the names of any crap at all to fall off the waiver wires and then posting NAME? threads about whether the Sox should sign him. Lame.
The Sidney Ponson thread is a prime example. I don't know how anyone can post a thread, open with how the player sucks, and end it with wondering if the Sox should try and sign him. That makes absolutely no sense.

DumpJerry
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
The Sidney Ponson thread is a prime example. I don't know how anyone can post a thread, open with how the player sucks, and end it with wondering if the Sox should try and sign him. That makes absolutely no sense.
:welcome:

spawn
12-02-2008, 12:35 PM
:welcome:
:thumbsup::redneck

Thome25
12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Something needs to be added to the WSI Code Of Conduct about the "Insert Sucky Ballplayer's Name Here" QUESTION MARK ? threads or the "totally random trade/ signing idea that came off the top of the OP's head" threads.

They're a major waste of bandwith.

spawn
12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Something needs to be added to the WSI Code Of Conduct about the "Insert Sucky Ballplayer's Name Here" QUESTION MARK ? threads or the "totally random trade/ signing idea that came off the top of the OP's head" threads.

Yes, but it wouldn't be WSI without them!:redneck

areilly
12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe we can also exhume the corpse of Buck Weaver and have him play third.

Lukin13
12-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Stupid Post.

If you guys don't like offseason speculation stay out of WTS.

Over By There
12-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Coop'll fix 'em.

We so need a photoshop expert to make some sort of "Coop'll Fix 'em" tag.

Lukin13
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM

When I come to a White Sox message board I would much rather read about baseball talk no matter how far fetched, than read about someone's kid winning the tuba tryout on a marching band.

white sox bill
12-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Apparently I'm not the only one on this board with a dirty mind :D:.

Move on over..:smile:

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
When I come to a White Sox message board I would much rather read about baseball talk no matter how far fetched, than read about someone's kid winning the tuba tryout on a marching band.

Why did you click on that thread then?

You say to stay out of WTS yet you complain about other threads, take your own advice.

champagne030
12-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Considering his birth name was William I doubt he went by Candy in school.

hi im skot
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
We so need a photoshop expert to make some sort of "Coop'll Fix 'em" tag.

I'll do it when I get home tonight.

spawn
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Then maybe you should stick to the baseball threads and ignore the others.:rolleyes:

Thome25
12-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Some of these threads are so far fetched the title might as well read "Should The Sox Trade For/Sign The Tuba Player In My Kid's Marching Band?"

I mean C'mon......why don't we spend our time talking about ACTUAL rumors and things KW has ACTUALLY hinted at doing rather than speculating about something some WSI member thought of off the top of their head while they were sitting on the crapper reading the newspaper? Which by the way is probably some idea KW NEVER thought of and will NEVER do.

areilly
12-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I mean C'mon......why don't we spend our time talking about ACTUAL rumors and things KW has ACTUALLY hinted at doing rather than speculating about something some WSI member thought of off the top of their head while they were sitting on the crapper reading the newspaper? Which by the way is probably some idea KW NEVER thought of and will NEVER do.

Because it's FUN to shoot down stupid ideas. But I have seen some WSIer's throw out some good ones, and you can't possibly think Williams' train of thought has never crossed paths with someone's on this board.

I'm not saying he would look at this place seriously, but I doubt he's the only person who ever hatched any of the trade ideas he's come up with.

doublem23
12-02-2008, 01:32 PM

I'm 99.99% sure that thread is a much more subtle joke than this one was.

areilly
12-02-2008, 01:34 PM

It does seem like the offseason rumors and speculation became ridiculous way ahead of schedule this year, though.

spawn
12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I saw your reply in that thread, and realized it must have been a joke. But as I said in that thread, with the other transactions people here propose, it's not wonder that thread was taken seriously.

DumpJerry
12-02-2008, 01:45 PM
It does seem like the offseason rumors and speculation became ridiculous way ahead of schedule this year, though.
They always start as the Sox players are changing out of their uniforms after the last out of the last game.

Sometimes sooner (2007).

ChiSoxFan81
12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I know the Sox are still in the market for a pitcher... OK, so the guy's been dead for 80 years, but damn, look at that career ERA. Plus, he invented the curveball, so he could be a mentor or something to the younger guys. I say dig his bones up and at least give him a chance to win the 5th spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Cummings

Hmm...not a bad idea. If his DNA has been preserved well enough, we may be able to clone him. The Sox can again be standard setters by having the first cloned player. Of course, the rest of the league will not be far behind in copying us as usual.

Had your post been in teal, I would have known it was a joke, but it's obvious you are genuine in your proposal. I will not tear you down for being open-minded. Anyone but Javy is good in my opinion.

Lukin13
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Why did you click on that thread then?

You say to stay out of WTS yet you complain about other threads, take your own advice.

I was responding to the "waste of bandwith" comment... and saying that ANY baseball talk is less of a waste than the parking lot.

Don't get it twisted.

doublem23
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Had your post been in teal, I would have known it was a joke, but it's obvious you are genuine in your proposal. I will not tear you down for being open-minded. Anyone but Javy is good in my opinion.

:rolling:

Of course I am. We all know athletes were better "back in the day."

BadBobbyJenks
12-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Please tell me you are not serious? Next time I will pick a dead guy so everyone gets the joke.

pythons007
12-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Hmm...not a bad idea. If his DNA has been preserved well enough, we may be able to clone him. The Sox can again be standard setters by having the first cloned player. Of course, the rest of the league will not be far behind in copying us as usual.

If we start talking about cloning why not get Mickey Mantle to play center and Ted Williams to DH. Bring back Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan to compete for the number 5 spot in the rotation.

doublem23
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
If we start talking about cloning why not get Mickey Mantle to play center and Ted Williams to DH. Bring back Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan to compete for the number 5 spot in the rotation.

I don't want any crappy National League pitchers.

spawn
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I'd say clone Shoeless Joe, but I'm guessing the lifetime ban would still be in effect. :tongue:

DumpJerry
12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd say clone Shoeless Joe, but I'm guessing the lifetime ban would still be in effect. :tongue:
Reinsdorf is tight with Selig. He'll get it lifted.

whitesox901
12-02-2008, 06:42 PM

I saw the title, and I instantly thought.."Roadhouse"

4 points
12-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Old Candy could still field his position better than Ponson.:gulp:

Bucky F. Dent
12-03-2008, 07:24 AM

That makes four of us.

white sox bill
12-03-2008, 08:26 AM
That makes four of us.
WSI should have a section entitled "For Single and unhappily Married Men".
Probably cover 99% of us men!:smile:

ChiSoxFan81
12-03-2008, 09:36 AM

You're right. We could get Ted cheaper, since we'd already have a "head" start.