12-01-2008, 09:18 PM
according to MLB.com astros and Hampton agree on deal

doublem23
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I guess they needed someone to play DL.

turners56
12-02-2008, 08:20 AM
I guess they needed someone to play DL.

I think Mark Prior would have been a much better choice for that position. They totally screwed up this signing.

palehozenychicty
12-02-2008, 09:27 AM
The team of MacLaine and Wade is just hilarious. :tongue:

soxfanatlanta
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm surprised he didn't blow out his arm during the signing. Those heavy pens can do some serious damage to the tendons if one is not careful.

russ99
12-02-2008, 02:52 PM
The team of MacLaine and Wade is just hilarious. :tongue:

Yeah, real hilarious. :angry:

Hampton's played with the Astros before and if he can stay healthy half the season he'd be their third best starter. He's also being paid a low base with incentives, so they're very aware of his injury issues.

It's no replacement for Randy Wolf, but not a bad start.

palehozenychicty
12-03-2008, 10:26 AM

Hampton's played with the Astros before and if he can stay healthy half the season he'd be their third best starter. He's also being paid a low base with incentives, so they're very aware of his injury issues.

Give me a break. Hampton ain't staying healthy for any part of the season. He hasn't been a reliable cog in a rotation since 2004, and even that season he only threw 174 innings with a WHIP of 1.53. MacLaine and Wade are fools for thinking he'll help their roster.

russ99
12-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Give me a break. Hampton ain't staying healthy for any part of the season. He hasn't been a reliable cog in a rotation since 2004, and even that season he only threw 174 innings with a WHIP of 1.53. MacLaine and Wolf are fools for thinking he'll help their roster.

Yeah they're looking like fools on this one, but desperate fools. A half or third-year of Hampton is better than a full year of Moehler or Backe. Had the Astros any decent prospects to either start, deal for a starter or have excess payroll budgeted for a solid FA guy, it might be a different story.

FYI - Hampton supposedly passed his physical.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah they're looking like fools on this one, but desperate fools. A half or third-year of Hampton is better than a full year of Moehler or Backe. Had the Astros any decent prospects to either start, deal for a starter or have excess payroll budgeted for a solid FA guy, it might be a different story.

FYI - Hampton supposedly passed his physical.

Who did the physical? Doogie Howser, M.D.?

btrain929
12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
They don't really deserve their own thread so I'll just schlack this into this thread:

Bob Howry just signed with the Giants and Trever Miller just signed with the Cards.

soxinem1
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Give me a break. Hampton ain't staying healthy for any part of the season. He hasn't been a reliable cog in a rotation since 2004, and even that season he only threw 174 innings with a WHIP of 1.53. MacLaine and Wade are fools for thinking he'll help their roster.

Oh, really? Versus the $10 million plus guaranteed given to the likes of Jon Garland, Carlos Silva, Jerrod Washburn, Javier Vazquez, and a score of others who don't even have the stuff to compete?

What about the $8 million LAD gave Randy Wolf a couple years ago to start like 20 games?

Believe me, I never thought Hampton and Denny Naegle were even close to deserving of those ridiculous contracts COL gave them.

But especially considering we have to pay Contreras $9 million this year to make no more than 15-20 starts, I cannot see how this gamble is not a bad idea.

I would not be suprised to see Hampton win 12-14 games.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I would not be suprised to see Hampton win 12-14 games.

I'd be surprised if he pitched that many games.

doublem23
12-03-2008, 05:49 PM
But especially considering we have to pay Contreras $9 million this year to make no more than 15-20 starts, I cannot see how this gamble is not a bad idea.

You realize that you're comparing a guy who signed a below-market extension when he was one of the better pitchers in the American League who just happened to suffer a freak injury last year to a guy that can barely get through warm ups before pulling a muscle, right?

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Who did the physical? Doogie Howser, M.D.?

Dr. Nick Riviera.
http://www.luds.net/galeries/Dr%20Riviera.gif

whitesox901
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
dr. Nick riviera.
http://www.luds.net/galeries/dr%20riviera.gif
hi everybody!

FedEx227
12-03-2008, 09:31 PM
1-800-doctorb!

MHOUSE
12-03-2008, 11:43 PM

What he said. This is a fine low risk signing. If he somehow puts it together for even 20 starts then he's worth every penny. If not, then it's not like they spent 2 or 3 years and more money on Randy Wolf who is probably almost as likely to be worthless at the end of that deal. Just because a guy is injury prone doesn't mean signing him at all is a mistake.

soxinem1
12-04-2008, 01:05 PM
You realize that you're comparing a guy who signed a below-market extension when he was one of the better pitchers in the American League who just happened to suffer a freak injury last year to a guy that can barely get through warm ups before pulling a muscle, right?

If Contreras is one of the better pitchers in the AL, then team ERA's will average about 5.00 in 2009 then....

Was his 'Out ofthe Office' sign from July 2006 to the present observed by you??:redface:

MHOUSE
12-06-2008, 12:01 PM
If Contreras is one of the better pitchers in the AL, then team ERA's will average about 5.00 in 2009 then....

Was his 'Out ofthe Office' sign from July 2006 to the present observed by you??:redface:

Yeah, but when he signed that extension Contreras was coming off an amazing second half of 2005 and dominant playoff run. That's a completely different situation than Hampton's. No, Jose is not one of the better pitchers in the AL now, but at the end of 2005 he certainly was.

Lundind1
12-06-2008, 12:39 PM
This, IMO, is a pretty heft gamble for a player who knows the training room more than he sees the mound.

guillensdisciple
12-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I think Mark Prior would have been a much better choice for that position. They totally screwed up this signing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Totally forgot about that guy, what a waste.