PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Abreu NOT offered arbitration....

btrain929
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/28123-no-arbitration-for-pettitte-abreu

It was expected that Abreu would be offered arb by the Yanks since he's a Type A Free Agent and he'll be looking for a multi-year deal. But for some reason they didn't think it was worth it if he accepted. Now since a team doesn't have to give up any draft picks to sign Abreu, I think this makes him a lot more attractive.

I know we're trying to get younger and there's the talk of us cutting payroll, but I would love to see Dye traded for some younger pieces and sign Abreu for RF. We can't have 25 year old studs at every position. Even though he's up there in age, he's still producing better/is more consistent than Konerko and Thome. He'll give us the same offensive production, if not better, than Dye (I'll sacrifice 10 HR's for a better OBP and 20 SB's), plus add another quality lefty bat to the RH-dominated lineup and some speed on the basepaths in the middle of the order to break up Thome, Konerko, AJ, etc.

He has been one of the most consistent hitters in baseball in terms of his production year in and year out (and he's from Venezuela :D:). I don't think a team is gonna go crazy and offer him a 5 year deal with him being 35 on opening day, but if we could get him on a 2yr/34mil deal or 3yr/45 deal, I'd love the move.

With that said, I doubt it happens, BUT I wish the pieces would fall just right so it would...

SoxNation05
12-01-2008, 05:28 PM
I am 100% on the wagon for this deal.

getonbckthr
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
3/45 million would be perfect. Trading of Dye would essentially become Dye for Abreu and young er players.

turners56
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
3/45 million would be perfect. Trading of Dye would essentially become Dye for Abreu and young er players.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Abreu can be our 3 hitter then. He's lost pop, but he should be able to hit 25 at the Cell. Plus, he's faster than Dye, as well as a better fielder, even for his old age. It's not a terrible trade-off. Thing is, will he take 3 and 45?

btrain929
12-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't be a bad idea. Abreu can be our 3 hitter then. He's lost pop, but he should be able to hit 25 at the Cell. Plus, he's faster than Dye, as well as a better fielder, even for his old age. It's not a terrible trade-off. Thing is, will he take 3 and 45?

I haven't seen enough of him, but all I hear from our fans and Yanks fans as well, is Abreu is one of the worst RF in baseball. Even if he's a wash with Dye or slightly worse, I still think there are more Pros than Cons to go after him...

turners56
12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I haven't seen enough of him, but all I hear from our fans and Yanks fans as well, is Abreu is one of the worst RF in baseball. Even if he's a wash with Dye or slightly worse, I still think there are more Pros than Cons to go after him...

He's not worse than Dye. He used to be a decent fielder, but so was Dye. Age takes its toll.

Well, he was worse than Dye last year...
But over the past 3 years, he's slightly better than Dye with a +/- of -52. Dye is the worst at -72.

guillen4life13
12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
So what would stop any team interested in JD from going after Abreu instead? Is it that he's LH?

DumpJerry
12-01-2008, 06:26 PM
So what would stop any team interested in JD from going after Abreu instead? Is it that he's LH?
Good point and, yes, he does hit LH.

getonbckthr
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
If anything being LH would help. What could make a team go after Dye opposed to Abreu is age and contract situation. A team may not be comfortable offering Abreu 3-4 years at 15-18 million when they can get Dye for 11 million and only a 1 year commitment.

btrain929
12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
If anything being LH would help. What could make a team go after Dye opposed to Abreu is age and contract situation. A team may not be comfortable offering Abreu 3-4 years at 15-18 million when they can get Dye for 11 million and only a 1 year commitment.

I agree 100% with the contract situation/bolded point. But as far as age, they both will be 35 on Opening Day, so that wouldn't be a factor to distinguish the two.

getonbckthr
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I agree 100% with the contract situation/bolded point. But as far as age, they both will be 35 on Opening Day, so that wouldn't be a factor to distinguish the two.
Is Abreu actually 35 though?

kittle42
12-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Finally, a realistic idea I like!

btrain929
12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Is Abreu actually 35 though?

He turns 35 in March. So unless he pulls a Miguel Tejada on us, that's his age as of Opening Day 2009.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Trade Dye to the Reds. Sign Abreu and put him in LF. Move Quentin to RF. Trade Konerko to the Angels for Figgins. Sign Furcal to play SS. Lineup:

3B Figgins
SS Furcal
LF Abreu
RF Quentin
DH Thome
2B Alexei
C AJ
1B Betemit (hits RHP well)/Fields (slays LHP) platoon
CF BA

veeter
12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Good idea. The cubs and Mets will be going at him hard. I really like the plan. He crushes at the Cell.

soxwon
12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
he be a flubby soon.

veeter
12-01-2008, 09:02 PM
he be a flubby soon.Yeah, this is their target. The Peavy rumor is Hendry helping his buddy Towers get more in a trade. Big Jim will out bid everyone. The Trib just gave him ANOTHER two year window.

btrain929
12-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, this is their target. The Peavy rumor is Hendry helping his buddy Towers get more in a trade. Big Jim will out bid everyone. The Trib just gave him ANOTHER two year window.

If they sign Abreu, then they DESPERATELY need to unload some salary. Their overall payroll (from current player raises) is gonna go up around $27 million with the roster as-is. Add Abreu and $15 million a year, that's 40+ million increase. That would put them up at the top of baseball for payroll.

veeter
12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
If they sign Abreu, then they DESPERATELY need to unload some salary. Their overall payroll (from current player raises) is gonna go up around $27 million with the roster as-is. Add Abreu and $15 million a year, that's 40+ million increase. That would put them up at the top of baseball for payroll.Nothing would surprise me. But they shed a little with Wood and probably Howry. I don't know. It would be fun to watch them fail with a top, top payroll though.

btrain929
12-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Nothing would surprise me. But they shed a little with Wood and probably Howry. I don't know. It would be fun to watch them fail with a top, top payroll though.

Yeah. They both made $4 million last year. I believe during my calculations, I figured neither would be coming back, but I miscalculated Kosuke's increase (because I didn't factor in his signing bonus last year) so their increase in payroll (after dumping Wood/Howry) is about $22 million.

chunk
12-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Abreu would severely hurt the outfield defense. No way he gets anywhere near that wall.

btrain929
12-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Abreu would severely hurt the outfield defense. No way he gets anywhere near that wall.

He'd be replacing Dye, not Grady Sizemore...

champagne030
12-01-2008, 09:28 PM
He's not worse than Dye. He used to be a decent fielder, but so was Dye. Age takes its toll.

Stop! Abreu makes Dye look like a GG. He's absolutely brutal in the field.

I'm not necessarily against trading Dye for younger pieces and signing Abreu to a reasonable contract, but we'll be giving up power and defense for 30 more walks and a slight bump in base running. And that minimal base running advantage is quickly going away.

chunk
12-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Talking about if he goes to the Cubs. He'll give the ivy atleast a 15 feet berth.

Dunn was not offered arb so lets go after him instead.

Craig Grebeck
12-01-2008, 09:29 PM
He'd be replacing Dye, not Grady Sizemore...
Yeah, but it's a lateral move at the absolute best. We could sacrifice some offense if there was an adequate defender on the market, but Abreu is terrible defensively and his core skills (patience, patience, patience) are declining.

btrain929
12-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, but it's a lateral move at the absolute best. We could sacrifice some offense if there was an adequate defender on the market, but Abreu is terrible defensively and his core skills (patience, patience, patience) are declining.

I think it's a lateral move at worst. Abreu is bad at defense, but Dye is maybe only a tad less bad (don't mind the grammar). Abreu's declining patience is still better than any OBP Dye would give you (and you LOVE OBP, CG). Not to mention the speed/SB's he's going to give you in the middle of the lineup AND the players/prospects we'd be getting in return for Dye...

Craig Grebeck
12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
I think it's a lateral move at worst. Abreu is bad at defense, but Dye is maybe only a tad less bad (don't mind the grammar). Abreu's declining patience is still better than any OBP Dye would give you (and you LOVE OBP, CG). Not to mention the speed/SB's he's going to give you in the middle of the lineup AND the players/prospects we'd be getting in return for Dye...
I love OBP, that's a given, but I don't feel like Abreu is a good bet to maintain his good OBP. He has swung at more balls outside the zone in recent years, and his walk rate has been on a steady decline.

His away line last season: .279/.354/.418. He's no longer an elite OBP player, as he was in Philly.

schmitty9800
12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
His spike in swinging at balls out of the zone and his OBP drop coincided with his move to the AL.

He's not worth 3/45 but I would give him 2/24-6 with an option/buyout for the third year.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Trade Dye to the Reds. Sign Abreu and put him in LF. Move Quentin to RF. Trade Konerko to the Angels for Figgins. Sign Furcal to play SS.

yes.. yes... yes.... yes..... yes!

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Trade Dye to the Reds. Sign Abreu and put him in LF. Move Quentin to RF. Trade Konerko to the Angels for Figgins. Sign Furcal to play SS. Lineup:

3B Figgins
SS Furcal
LF Abreu
RF Quentin
DH Thome
2B Alexei
C AJ
1B Betemit (hits RHP well)/Fields (slays LHP) platoon
CF BA

I don't like a platoon situaiton at 1B. I think 1B is the one position in baseball where you have to have a guranteed 30 HR 80+RBIs.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-02-2008, 12:14 AM
It'll be interesting to see if this move silents the rumors of the Cubs going after Peavy.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I love OBP, that's a given, but I don't feel like Abreu is a good bet to maintain his good OBP. He has swung at more balls outside the zone in recent years, and his walk rate has been on a steady decline.

His away line last season: .279/.354/.418. He's no longer an elite OBP player, as he was in Philly.

He also struck out more on the road in less ABs, that doesn't mean he's falling off, it just means he gets more comfortable at his home ballpark. His .387 OBP at home was very solid and an overall of .296/.371/.471 is fantastic. You're acting like a typical statistician, messing around with the numbers to get results to support your claim.

Bottomline: Abreu >> Dye.
And I'm a Dye Guy!

I don't like a platoon situaiton at 1B. I think 1B is the one position in baseball where you have to have a guranteed 30 HR 80+RBIs.

Wow. Our fan-base is truly one of the most cynical ones out there. LOOK AT THE REST OF THE LINEUP THE GUY PUT TOGETHER!!! WHO CARES IF WE HAVE A PLATOON AT FIRST!!!!

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 12:20 AM
One more thing on Abreu:

Those who think that automatically his power numbers go up by playing at the Cell IMO are deeply mistaken. Yankee stadium is a paradise for LH power hitters (even more than the Cell) and the guy managed to hit about 45 HRs in 2.5 seasons with the Yanks. Is that a guy you want to dump $15 million per season to? Let's also remember, he was sandwiched in a line up by Damon, Jeter, Arod, & Giambi ...... unless we do something sexy this offseason, we won't have anything remotely close hitting in front of him and Quentin IMO is not yet close to being A-rod.

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
He also struck out more on the road in less ABs, that doesn't mean he's falling off, it just means he gets more comfortable at his home ballpark. His .387 OBP at home was very solid and an overall of .296/.371/.471 is fantastic. You're acting like a typical statistician, messing around with the numbers to get results to support your claim.

Bottomline: Abreu >> Dye.
And I'm a Dye Guy!

I don't think the gap between Dye and Abreu is as big as many think. Dye brings a ton more pop than Abreu will and let's remember that we play in a ballpark where we have to take advantage of our strength.... hit the ball out of the park.

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Wow. Our fan-base is truly one of the most cynical ones out there. LOOK AT THE REST OF THE LINEUP THE GUY PUT TOGETHER!!! WHO CARES IF WE HAVE A PLATOON AT FIRST!!!!

:puking:
7. C AJ
8. 1B Betemit (hits RHP well)/Fields (slays LHP) platoon
9. CF BA

That's even worse than the AJ, Anderson, Uribe crap we ran out there in '06 and parts of '07.

Call me cynical.

btrain929
12-02-2008, 12:28 AM
One more thing on Abreu:

Those who think that automatically his power numbers go up by playing at the Cell IMO are deeply mistaken. Yankee stadium is a paradise for LH power hitters (even more than the Cell) and the guy managed to hit about 45 HRs in 2.5 seasons with the Yanks. Is that a guy you want to dump $15 million per season to? Let's also remember, he was sandwiched in a line up by Damon, Jeter, Arod, & Giambi ...... unless we do something sexy this offseason, we won't have anything remotely close hitting in front of him and Quentin IMO is not yet close to being A-rod.

I know he won't hit bombs like Dye does. The reasons why I like the idea and the reason why "I" would dump 15 million on him is because: he'd sport a better OBP than Dye (always welcomed), give us much more speed in the middle of the lineup than Dye (desperately needed), add a quality left-handed bat to the lineup that currently only has 2 (all we have is Thome and AJ, and Thome might be gone after '09), and add important pieces to our team like a young promising SP, a CF, etc (which is what we should receive if we trade Dye).

Just my .2

WhiteSoxFan84
12-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't think the gap between Dye and Abreu is as big as many think. Dye brings a ton more pop than Abreu will and let's remember that we play in a ballpark where we have to take advantage of our strength.... hit the ball out of the park.

Abreu's homers will go up enough to make you forget about this.

Look at Dye's HR totals from the previous 4 full seasons (130+ games) before joining the Sox:
1999 - 27
2000 - 33
2002 - 24
2004 - 23
avg - 28

Dye's HR totals from 4 full seasons with the Sox:
2005 - 31
2006 - 44
2007 - 28
2008 - 34
avg - 34

That's an increase of 6 home runs per season.

Two notes I want to make:
1) both players will be 35 beginning next season.
2) ive seen a number of you slotting abreu 3rd in the lineup. id much rather see him batting 2nd ahead of Quentin and behind Furcal.

btrain929
12-02-2008, 12:33 AM

Look at Dye's HR totals from the previous 4 full seasons (130+ games) before joining the Sox:
1999 - 27
2000 - 33
2002 - 24
2004 - 23
avg - 28

2005 - 31
2006 - 44
2007 - 28
2008 - 34
avg - 34

2) ive seen a number of you slotting abreu 3rd in the lineup. id much rather see him batting 2nd ahead of Quentin and behind Furcal.

I'm not gonna put too much faith into home run totals from the early part of this decade, but I do believe that if there is 1 thing our team can sacrifice a little bit of to get a little faster on the basepaths and get on-base a little more, it's power.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
:puking:
7. C AJ
8. 1B Betemit (hits RHP well)/Fields (slays LHP) platoon
9. CF BA

That's even worse than the AJ, Anderson, Uribe crap we ran out there in '06 and parts of '07.

Call me cynical.

Relatively speaking, yes it is worse, but we're not speaking relatively here because his 1-6 is COMPLETELY different than our 1-6 in 2006 and 2007. The only guy in his 1-6 that could be found in the actual 1-6 we ran out there in 2006 and 2007 is Thome. And why did you even mention AJ? He's just fine at catcher (offensively). Betemit and BA are the only ones you can argue about and I'll GLADLY go to war with those guys at 8 and 9 if my 1-7 looks the way it does as mentioned earlier.

I'm not gonna put too much faith into home run totals from the early part of this decade, but I do believe that if there is 1 thing our team can sacrifice a little bit of to get a little faster on the basepaths and get on-base a little more, it's power.

Amen, brother.

btrain929
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM

We did that better than any team in baseball last year and we were 4 and done in the 1st round...

I agree 100% that we cannot and will not abandon the HR, but it's not like we'd be going from Dye to Juan Pierre: Abreu can still hit the ball out of the ballpark.

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 12:40 AM
I know he won't hit bombs like Dye does. The reasons why I like the idea and the reason why "I" would dump 15 million on him is because: he'd sport a better OBP than Dye (always welcomed), give us much more speed in the middle of the lineup than Dye (desperately needed), add a quality left-handed bat to the lineup that currently only has 2 (all we have is Thome and AJ, and Thome might be gone after '09), and add important pieces to our team like a young promising SP, a CF, etc (which is what we should receive if we trade Dye).

Just my .2

How did the OBP% experiment with Nick Swisher go?

Very bad.

I don't think Abreu will be as bad, but I also don't want to get caught up in the Sexy stat of OBP%. Can the guy produce runs is all I care about? I think he can, but how much of it has to once again do with the guys he was sandwiched by in that solid NYY line up? Let's remember, if you start trading away guys like Konerko, Dye and lose Thome after this season, now you are depending on way too much power from a guy who only hit 45 HRs in a great LH hitters park the last 2.5 yrs.

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 12:47 AM

1999 - 27
2000 - 33
2002 - 24
2004 - 23
avg - 28

2005 - 31
2006 - 44
2007 - 28
2008 - 34
avg - 34

Are you kidding?

Dye came here after playing in two of the toughest ballparks to hit the ball out at in Oakland and KC, and he did fairly well in them despite the dimensions. It was expected for him to do well here.

Abreu struggled big time in the best LH hitting porch in all of baseball, but you expect him to improve that much here at our park?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-02-2008, 12:47 AM

Swisher Career... 611 G, 2114 AB, .354 OBP
Abreu Career.....1799 G, 6490 AB, .405 OBP

Huge differences there lol.

Are you kidding?

Dye came here after playing in two of the toughest ballparks to hit the ball out at in Oakland and KC, and he did fairly well in them despite the dimensions. It was expected for him to do well here.

Abreu struggled big time in the best LH hitting porch in all of baseball, but you expect him to improve that much here at our park?

I don't expect him to improve anything. I want him as our # 2, so 15-25 HRs per season are more than fine with me as long as his OBP remains at .375 (overall, not just on the road or at home, whichever is lowest CRAIG GREBECK! lol) or better and he continues to steal 20+ bases.

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Swisher Career... 611 G, 2114 AB, .354 OBP
Abreu Career.....1799 G, 6490 AB, .405 OBP

Huge differences there lol.

I don't expect him to improve anything. I want him as our # 2, so 15-25 HRs per season are more than fine with me as long as his OBP remains at .375 (overall, not just on the road or at home, whichever is lowest CRAIG GREBECK! lol) or better and he continues to steal 20+ bases.

OK, now you have me sold. As a #2 hitter I would be 100% on board with you. I saw everyone pencilling him in as a #3 hitter and then dumping both Dye and Konerko and that's where I said hold on a second.

But you think KW would throw $15 million for a #2 hitter and make him the highest paid player on the team?

I don't think so.

btrain929
12-02-2008, 01:07 AM

Very bad.

I don't think Abreu will be as bad, but I also don't want to get caught up in the Sexy stat of OBP%. Can the guy produce runs is all I care about? I think he can, but how much of it has to once again do with the guys he was sandwiched by in that solid NYY line up? Let's remember, if you start trading away guys like Konerko, Dye and lose Thome after this season, now you are depending on way too much power from a guy who only hit 45 HRs in a great LH hitters park the last 2.5 yrs.

OBP was about the only good thing about Swisher coming in, besides his age and contract. Abreu obviously brings a lot more to the table than Swisher and his OBP: better avg, speed/SB's, doesn't strike out 140 times a year, etc.

I'm not advocating hitting him 3rd like others have mentioned. He'd probably be a great #2 hitter, but I think I'd rather have him batting 5th or 6th because, like you said, I believe he can truly knock runs in.

Best case scenario is Getz plays as advertised (low K/high walk/good avg hitter) and can fill in the #2 slot and be followed by: Quentin, Thome, Ramirez, Konerko, Abreu, etc. That leaves Abreu 7th in my layout which might be too low, but it spreads out the base cloggers (Thome, Konerko, AJ who isn't THAT slow but IS a catcher).

pythons007
12-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Very bad.

Swisher for the most part was batting lead off. A spot not typical for his style of hitting. Plus later in the year he was being moved all over the lineup and in the field.

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Swisher for the most part was batting lead off. A spot not typical for his style of hitting. Plus later in the year he was being moved all over the lineup and in the field.

What I meant was let's not get all excited with our desire to get a player just because of a nice looking OBP%.

We need to look at the big picture and see how he fits with the rest of the line up and especially at the position you plan to hit the guy.

palehozenychicty
12-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Abreu is a guy whose numbers don't always tell the whole story. He'll pile up statistics, but he's hardly a difference maker. His defense is brutal, but he also has a solid arm. He's more patient and swifter on the basepaths, but I find him overrated.

Between him and Dye, I'd go for Dye only because he will come through late in the game. He got the name "Tin Man" in Philly for a reason.

pythons007
12-02-2008, 08:51 AM
What I meant was let's not get all excited with our desire to get a player just because of a nice looking OBP%.

We need to look at the big picture and see how he fits with the rest of the line up and especially at the position you plan to hit the guy.

Well obviously we don't have a place for him unless we trade Dye. I really don't see him batting second for the amount of money he is going to be demanding.

Abreu is the type of hitter the Cubs need to be going after. They need a "power hitting lefty". I know his homers have been on the decline, but he is always driving in 100 and scoring a 100. Last season he was a 20/20 guy as well. He is a better option than Derek Lee has been, since his roid season.

I like Abreu for a couple of reasons. He is consistant. His career average is .300 and an OBP of .405, he walks almost 100 times a season, but also ks 100 time a season. So I believe he is not a prototypical 2 hitter (I could be wrong, but you just don't see many 2 hitters driving in 100 runs and hitting 20+ homers).

Oblong
12-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Abreu's a good fantasy player but I wouldn't want him on my real team. Especially fro what he'll cost.

esbrechtel
12-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Everyone knows he is really the Cubs number 1 target. They need a Left Handed power hitting outfielder....Bobby fits that bill quite well. I expect him to be in chicago...just not on the southside...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Turns out our estimates as to how much Abreu will get annually have been WAY off. Most on here believed 14-15mm per would get him to sign, turns out most GMs don't see him getting more than 12mm per and some even have gone as far as to say he'd be lucky to get 8mm per! This could all be found in Buster Olney's blog (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3738618&name=olney_buster).

And the reason the Yankees didn't offer him arbitration is because he would've received about $17.5mm for one-year and chances are he would've accepted it which the Yankees wouldn't have wanted.

Abreu's a good fantasy player but I wouldn't want him on my real team. Especially fro what he'll cost.

You may have a number in your head that is way off. He's worth 12mm per, easily. At 12mm per he'd be making just 0.5mm more than Dye in 2009.

LoveYourSuit
12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Turns out our estimates as to how much Abreu will get annually have been WAY off. Most on here believed 14-15mm per would get him to sign, turns out most GMs don't see him getting more than 12mm per and some even have gone as far as to say he'd be lucky to get 8mm per! This could all be found in Buster Olney's blog (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3738618&name=olney_buster).

And the reason the Yankees didn't offer him arbitration is because he would've received about $17.5mm for one-year and chances are he would've accepted it which the Yankees wouldn't have wanted.

You may have a number in your head that is way off. He's worth 12mm per, easily. At 12mm per he'd be making just 0.5mm more than Dye in 2009.

At less $10 million per season for 3 I would not mind taking a flyer on him. Then you have to move Dye.

Lukin13
12-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Evidently, these picks aren't as valuable as MLB Trade Rumors and the other blogs make them out to be.

No way was Abreu accepting arbitration, but even the slightest chance was not worth the risk to the Yanks.