PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a strike?

Chisox353014
05-21-2002, 01:03 PM
What is most likely to happen?

voodoochile
05-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Need another choice - no agreement until after the season, but no strike... That is what I think (Hope) will happen...

Daver
05-21-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Need another choice - no agreement until after the season, but no strike... That is what I think (Hope) will happen...

That WON'T happen,the only leverage the players have is to strike while the season is still going on.

Kilroy
05-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by daver

That WON'T happen,the only leverage the players have is to strike while the season is still going on.

They have to know they'd be complete dumb-asses to do that. The smart thing to do would be to hit the off season working towards an agreement and then if nothing got done, strike next year. The owners will still be hit hard, albeit, not as hard as if the strike was in the middle of post season play.

But they have got to realize that if baseball takes that black eye again, next to no fans are sympathetic to their "plight". These dumb ****s would be slitting the throat of their golden goose.

Daver
05-21-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

They have to know they'd be complete dumb-asses to do that. The smart thing to do would be to hit the off season working towards an agreement and then if nothing got done, strike next year. The owners will still be hit hard, albeit, not as hard as if the strike was in the middle of post season play.

But they have got to realize that if baseball takes that black eye again, next to no fans are sympathetic to their "plight". These dumb ****s would be slitting the throat of their golden goose.

If they let it go that long they are leaving themselves open to the owners declaring an impasse in the negotiations and making wholesale changes,the only way to stop that is to strike before the off-season.

Kilroy
05-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by daver

If they let it go that long they are leaving themselves open to the owners declaring an impasse in the negotiations and making wholesale changes,the only way to stop that is to strike before the off-season.

Couldn't they get around that by showing that the owners aren't negotiating in good faith? Of course they have to do the whole take it to court thing, but if they can show it to a judge, then he could disallow any such wholesale changes.

voodoochile
05-21-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Couldn't they get around that by showing that the owners aren't negotiating in good faith? Of course they have to do the whole take it to court thing, but if they can show it to a judge, then he could disallow any such wholesale changes.

It is the owners ball... The players cannot declare an impasse.

It is true that any attempt to declare an impasse would have to be settled by a mediator/judge, but the owners have history on their side in the form of NBA owners success.

All Bud would need to do is get a team to declare bankruptcy and it would be all over. Me thinks the Expos would be perfect team to do so...

Daver
05-21-2002, 03:45 PM

It is true that any attempt to declare an impasse would have to be settled by a mediator/judge, but the owners have history on their side in the form of NBA owners success.

All Bud would need to do is get a team to declare bankruptcy and it would be all over. Me thinks the Expos would be perfect team to do so...

They also have the history that they have not won a labor battle with the MLBPA in thirty years.

FarmerAndy
05-21-2002, 03:54 PM

Me thinks the Expos would be perfect team to do so...

Thank you Jar-Jar.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2002, 03:59 PM

Too late. The Expos were already sold to MLB. For the Expos to go bankrupt, baseball itself would have to go into receivership.

I would love to see George Steinbrenner, Jerry Reinsdorf, and all the rest of them stand by while a bankruptcy judge sells the franchises to the highest bidder. We'll find out just how "bankrupt" they are very quickly.

So far, this is playing out exactly like 1994-95. Somebody needs to stand down, or baseball will suffer the same fate it did back then. Don't expect the players to blink: they WON last time using the exact same strategy they are threatening to use now. It's the owners who need to pull a rabbit out of their hat. We may see contraction, but the MLBPA will not compromise over that issue. To the contrary, they'll count on the courts to find the owners did not make the case for needing economic changes in the CBA, and that they didn't negotiate in good faith for a new economic system in the CBA.

One thing is sure: the courts ARE NOT the owners' friends, especially with the historical precedent set in 1995. The owners are heading straight towards a cliff, and none of them (least of all Selig) seem to understand it.

We're heading towards a major mess.