PDA

View Full Version : Something to consider

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 01:48 PM
At 255 runs, the Sox have scored more than any other team in baseball.

Jjav829
05-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Actually the Mariners have scored one more run. (256)

Something else to consider though...at 241 runs allowed the Sox have allowed more runs than only one other team in baseball, the Blue Jays.

raul12
05-21-2002, 01:57 PM

that's the beauty of baseball....no matter if the score is 19-0, 10-1, or 2-1, and win is a win, and a loss is a loss.

here's a thought...how about we bring terry bevington back? he wouldn't take this @$#@!

MattSharp
05-21-2002, 01:59 PM
yea it doesn't matter if you score 10 runs a game when you give up 11. Not to mention the Sox never score runs when their pitching gives up a lot of runs. They either win big or lose big.....

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by raul12

that's the beauty of baseball....no matter if the score is 19-0, 10-1, or 2-1, and win is a win, and a loss is a loss.

I did the math on this because I'm unemployed and have nothing better to do. The average margin of defeat for the Sox is 5.4 runs, but the average margin of victory is 5.3 runs.

raul12
05-21-2002, 02:14 PM

I did the math on this because I'm unemployed and have nothing better to do. The average margin of defeat for the Sox is 5.4 runs, but the average margin of victory is 5.3 runs.

i'd be interested to see what the distribution of runs scored vs. runs allowed, and also just the distribution of runs scored (histogram). My guess would be that the first would be negatively correlated and the second would be bi-modal instead of a typical normal distribution with possibly skew to the right. anyone have any info on this?

and what would be cool is to have this info for all the teams and see if the trend that the white sox offense has is f'ed up or if it's typical of other teams. just some thoughts.

alright, it's time to go golfin'....

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by raul12

i'd be interested to see what the distribution of runs scored vs. runs allowed, and also just the distribution of runs scored (histogram). My guess would be that the first would be negatively correlated and the second would be bi-modal instead of a typical normal distribution with possibly skew to the right. anyone have any info on this?

I got a D in Stats. I have no idea what you just said.

Soxboyrob
05-21-2002, 02:48 PM

Unfortunately, many many of those runs were wasted in blowouts with the Sox winning by 8-10 runs. Not that saving a few of those runs for later would have mattered, since we usually get blown out when we lose, too.