PDA

View Full Version : Vincent: MLB's death near

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 12:21 PM
The Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47714-2002May20.html)

Bucktown
05-21-2002, 12:27 PM
**** you Selig. You are a lying sack of ****. If the Brewers are going to fold (they are certainly one of the 8 weakest teams, financially) then why did you have the state of Wisconsin build them a $300M stadium. This guy should be the new President of Enron. He is unbelievable - literally.

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
**** you Selig. You are a lying sack of ****.

I agree with you, but the point of the article is, here's a truly unbiased, educated outsider who is corroberating what Selig says. I believe Vincent.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I agree with you, but the point of the article is, here's a truly unbiased, educated outsider who is corroberating what Selig says. I believe Vincent.

You think Faye Vincent is unbiased? The guy was Bart Giamatti's #2, and himself became the hand-picked successor as the owners' commissioner!

I can think of about 200 million people who are more "unbiased" than Vincent, starting with those listed in the phone book.

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

You think Faye Vincent is unbiased? The guy was Bart Giamatti's #2, and himself became the hand-picked successor as the owners' commissioner!

I can think of about 200 million people who are more "unbiased" than Vincent, starting with those listed in the phone book.

Unbiased wasn't the right word ... obviously, he's not interested in kissing the asses of the owners. They fired him because he didn't want to be a yes man. It's not like he's gonna be pro-ownership after that.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Unbiased wasn't the right word ... obviously, he's not interested in kissing the asses of the owners. They fired him because he didn't want to be a yes man. It's not like he's gonna be pro-ownership after that.

Vincent made plenty of comments about the problems with baseball before he became commissioner. It was based on these comments, and others, that the owners' gave him the job of commissioner. He's made snide comments about the owners for canning him in 1993, but he has never reversed himself on baseball's problems. That says more about his personal integrity than his unbiased views, or his intelligence.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Vincent was angling for the commissioner's job once Selig inevitably resigns. He'll be competing with George Will, former senator Tom Mitchell, and plenty of other toadies for ownership.

That's the only way you can get the job. The owners pick you, and pay 100 percent of your salary. They are NOT unbiased observers on an issue as big as baseball's labor troubles.