View Full Version : An interesting idea

Daver
05-21-2002, 12:13 PM
From the USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/comment/saraceno/2002-05-20-saraceno.htm

Paulwny
05-21-2002, 12:21 PM
This part of the article is soooo true.

The snobbish, elitist clique that is baseball labor and management has bamboozled us, played us like violins. The music isn't sweet; it is the serenade of the sucker. We have empowered them we have allowed ourselves to be marginalized.

We are the game's backbone, and it is time to show some spine. The game does not belong to the players or the owners, neither of whom can be trusted to do the right thing. It belongs to us, the fans.

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
This part of the article is soooo true.

The snobbish, elitist clique that is baseball labor and management has bamboozled us, played us like violins. The music isn't sweet; it is the serenade of the sucker. We have empowered them we have allowed ourselves to be marginalized.

We are the game's backbone, and it is time to show some spine. The game does not belong to the players or the owners, neither of whom can be trusted to do the right thing. It belongs to us, the fans.

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baseballfansunite ... they're calling for a July 14 boycott of all forms of MLB, including TV and Radio.

Soxboyrob
05-21-2002, 12:25 PM
It's not a bad idea. If I'm not mistaken, Sox fans have been partaking in such a boycott since 1994. It would take a lot of willpower for some fans, such as myself, to stop attending games. You'll probably start to see this becoming more prevalent later in the year when the strike rhetoric starts to grow more and more.

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
It's not a bad idea. If I'm not mistaken, Sox fans have been partaking in such a boycott since 1994.

That would be really funny if it weren't so true. :(:

Bucktown
05-21-2002, 12:33 PM
I am in! No baseball on July 14. The owners and players can go straight to hell.

Of course the Cubs fans won't get it. But I am desparate.

Can we make this an official WSI action? Maybe bring the site down for that day?

FarWestChicago
05-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Can we make this an official WSI action? Maybe bring the site down for that day? No. This site is not affiliated with MLB. It is run by fans for fans.

raul12
05-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Maybe bring the site down for that day?

the one place of solace?

duke of dorwood
05-21-2002, 01:00 PM
An oasis in the desert of rhetoric.

How's that?

Soxboyrob
05-21-2002, 02:05 PM
Honestly, it'll be simple to participate since the Sox are on the road anyway. I don't see the point of not watching or not listening to the radio broadcast. MLB has no idea if you're watching or listening, unless you are a Arbitron or Nielsen rater. I'll just watch the game on the Tellie and then not patronize any of the sponsors for one solid week. Maybe I'll even write the big sponsors and tell them why I'm not patronizing them.

voodoochile
05-21-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
No. This site is not affiliated with MLB. It is run by fans for fans.

It wouldn't be hard to not talk baseball for a day, though. Perhaps we could come here and discuss something in the Parking Lot. Talk about the upcoming Fall Season with no Messica :D:

But, it isn't that important what we discuss here. The idea is to make the players and owners stand up and take notice. If most ballparks are empty or almost so and the TV and Radio broadcasts get very low ratings, they will have to take notice.

Heck, we could come here and discuss alternatives to watching baseball in the coming months. If this thing really takes off, maybe the powers that be would consider locking up the Clubhouse for a day and forcing all discussions into the Parking Lot - change the heading to read, "NO BASEBALL DISCUSSIONS ALLOWED TODAY ONLY, 7/14", but that is just a suggestion...

First we have to see if the idea takes off. I for one support it whole heartedly and will participate in the one day strike.

Randar68
05-21-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

It wouldn't be hard to not talk baseball for a day, though. Perhaps we could come here and discuss something in the Parking Lot. Talk about the upcoming Fall Season with no Messica :D:

But, it isn't that important what we discuss here. The idea is to make the players and owners stand up and take notice. If most ballparks are empty or almost so and the TV and Radio broadcasts get very low ratings, they will have to take notice.

Heck, we could come here and discuss alternatives to watching baseball in the coming months. If this thing really takes off, maybe the powers that be would consider locking up the Clubhouse for a day and forcing all discussions into the Parking Lot - change the heading to read, "NO BASEBALL DISCUSSIONS ALLOWED TODAY ONLY, 7/14", but that is just a suggestion...

First we have to see if the idea takes off. I for one support it whole heartedly and will participate in the one day strike.

COunt me in. Both sides of this rediculous thing are at fault. people making 100+ million dollar contracts for working 8 months of the year are not going to garner much sympathy in my book. In addition, until the owners open their books, I won't beleive a single word of their financial crisis BS.

Paulwny
05-21-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I'll just watch the game on the Tellie and then not patronize any of the sponsors for one solid week. Maybe I'll even write the big sponsors and tell them why I'm not patronizing them.

This is a great idea. Cable money is to blame for many of the inequities in the game. If sponsors complain to cable companies some pressure may be put on these idiots to resolve a contract.