PDA

View Full Version : Sox love from Tokyo

kittle42
11-27-2008, 09:44 AM
So, I'm in Tokyo this week. We check into our hotel. The bellhop asks us where we're from. When I say, "Chicago," what is the first thing he says??? "Oh, Chicago....Chicago White Sox!"

Exactly.

skobabe8
11-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Good job Brooks!! :tongue:

SoxandtheCityTee
11-27-2008, 10:06 AM
So, I'm in Tokyo this week. We check into our hotel. The bellhop asks us where we're from. When I say, "Chicago," what is the first thing he says??? "Oh, Chicago....Chicago White Sox!"

Exactly.

Wow. Extremely impressive. Hope your stay is as great as that beginning.

Madvora
11-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Especially with all that Fukudome crap. Nice to hear Shingo and The Gooch won this guy over.

whitem0nkey
11-27-2008, 10:31 AM
We may not be the most popular baseball team in chicago, but the were the most popular chicago baseball team in japan!

WOOT WOOT!

Boondock Saint
11-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Hells yes. That's what I'm talking about.

doublem23
11-27-2008, 10:40 AM
I hope you tipped that guy a million yen.

gr8mexico
11-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Especially with all that Fukudome crap. Nice to hear Shingo and The Gooch won this guy over.
I think Obama had something to do with it too

TommyJohn
11-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Exactly.

Not "Al Capone...bang bang bang"?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Exactly.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing this on Thanksgiving!
:thumbsup:

I agree Obama had more to do with it than either Shingo or Iguchi. I'm shocked "Al Capone.. bang! bang!" wasn't his first answer.

See... the dark "Cubs era" is finally over for Chicago.
:gulp:

Rdy2PlayBall
11-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Too bad THIS is what he was thinking of when he sad that. :(:

http://www.thewavemag.com/images/articles/11001-12000/11315.jpg

Just kidding, but seriously, that pretty cool that he said that... especially since you love the White Sox. :tongue:

... don't you? :club:

soxpride724
11-27-2008, 11:19 AM
That's awesome!

ohthosechisox
11-27-2008, 12:19 PM
The Japanese are smart people. :smile:

Have a great time in Tokyo! I'm learning Japanese right now, and I hope I'll get to travel there soon. And I'll be sure to wear my White Sox hat all the time when I eventually get to go. ;)

guillensdisciple
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Representing White Sox in Japan... gotta love that.

whitesox901
11-27-2008, 01:04 PM
:cool:

ramorgan1
11-27-2008, 05:11 PM

Exactly.

are you Rizzo? or are you travelling with Rizzo?

if not Rizzo is there now too

chisoxfanatic
11-27-2008, 06:20 PM

Exactly.
That's awesome! I bet Iguchi came back home to Japan and told them all about his winning the World Series. That had to have been a hit over there.

That reminds me of when I went to Europe a decade ago. When I told the bellhop I was from Chicagoland, he immediately said "Oh! DENNIS RODMAN!"

GoGoCrede
11-27-2008, 10:38 PM
:bandance: I love it when this happens. I absolutely love it when I visit other cities wearing my Sox shirt and I meet other fans. This summer in San Francisco I was wearing my Sox hoodie and some guy in a Konerko jersey yelled out, "Go Sox!"

thomas35forever
11-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah, that's it! Send a "**** you" to all the Cubs fans and say we don't give a **** about Fukudome or their embracing of him! Happy Thanksgiving!:bandance:

I want Mags back
11-28-2008, 12:06 AM
A friend of mine was in Italy when he was younger, and told someone he was from Chicago. He replied, "ohh Chicago, Al Capone, you know him?"

Nellie_Fox
11-28-2008, 12:33 AM
When I told the bellhop I was from Chicagoland, he immediately said "Oh! DENNIS RODMAN!"

A friend of mine was in Italy when he was younger, and told someone he was from Chicago. He replied, "ohh Chicago, Al Capone, you know him?"I'd rather admit to Capone.

cub killer
11-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Despite all the phony hype the northsiders made during 2008, our Japanese player has a World Series ring while their Japanese player is looking at a AAA demotion next season.

ode to veeck
11-28-2008, 11:55 AM
The Japanese are smart people. :smile:

Have a great time in Tokyo! I'm learning Japanese right now, and I hope I'll get to travel there soon. And I'll be sure to wear my White Sox hat all the time when I eventually get to go. ;)

nihonga wa soro soro taihen desu neeee ...

jabrch
11-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Not "Al Capone...bang bang bang"?

I have done a lot of international business travel - and that's the one I get most. One I used to get about 5-7 years ago was Chicago Bulls...Michael Jordan.

I hardly ever hear baseball comments about either Chicago team - which is odd since much of my time is spent in Latin America.

DSpivack
11-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Despite all the phony hype the northsiders made during 2008, our Japanese player has a World Series ring while their Japanese player is looking at a AAA demotion next season.

I don't know what you are talking about.

We have two Japanese players with rings. :tongue:

turners56
11-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Just shows you how dishonored the Japanese are by Fukudome and the Cubs. Losing isn't lovable in Japan. :redneck

turners56
11-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't know what you are talking about.

We have two Japanese players with rings. :tongue:

How many Japanese players even have a ring?

Matsuzaka, Okajima, Iguchi, and...? Neither of the Matsuis have one. Ichiro's never gotten one.

jcw218
11-28-2008, 05:56 PM
How many Japanese players even have a ring?

Matsuzaka, Okajima, Iguchi, and...? Neither of the Matsuis have one. Ichiro's never gotten one.

I don't know if Shingo was given a ring or not. I know that he started the 2005 season as the closer but was released early in the year.

ChiSoxGirl
11-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't know if Shingo was given a ring or not. I know that he started the 2005 season as the closer but was released early in the year.

On Ring Day, Shingo's name was up on the board as players who were unable to make it to the ceremony, so I guess that means he got a ring. :dunno:

soltrain21
11-28-2008, 10:51 PM

Of course he was given a ring. He was an official member of the team.

I want Mags back
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM

did he finish with the club in October, no.

that being said, he got a ring and a player bonus, even though having done all of his work prior to August.

ode to veeck
11-29-2008, 09:27 AM

we never had the Shingo Frisbee Day at the door promotional before he left too

hi im skot
11-29-2008, 09:47 AM
did he finish with the club in October, no.

that being said, he got a ring and a player bonus, even though having done all of his work prior to August.

As far as I know, every player who made an appearance with the Sox in '05 got a ring.