PDA

View Full Version : This is starting to look like the Cubs board

Randar68
05-21-2002, 11:12 AM
All of you 12-year-old, chicken-little, every time we lose the world is coming to an end, "any time a pitcher has a bad outing they are garbage", "we need to make a big trade", and then, "we got robbed in trade X"......

GET LOST! It's a 162 game season, we are in one of the weakest divisions in baseball, it will be alright!!!!!

Take your :prozac and freaking relax!!!!!!! Reading this board is becomming more and more like reading the troll boards at ESPN.

cheeses_h_rice
05-21-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Randar. I held off on writing something similar, even though I too have been disgusted with the patented brand of Sox Corpseball they've been playing the last 2 weeks.

Procol Harum
05-21-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

GET LOST! It's a 162 game season, we are in one of the weakest divisions in baseball, it will be alright!!!!!

OK, all of us "glass is half-empty" Sox fans will relax--realizing that we're in the weakest division in baseball and have yet to play our major division rival who beat us like a rented mule last year. See, we're so relaxed we're snoring...oh, wait, that's our offense :)

Randar68
05-21-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

OK, all of us "glass is half-empty" Sox fans will relax--realizing that we're in the weakest division in baseball and have yet to play our major division rival who beat us like a rented mule last year. See, we're so relaxed we're snoring...oh, wait, that's our offense :)

Hey, be upset that the offense has stalled, but it's only 2 games! that's 1/81th of the season.

Put it in perspective, if you thought we could win the WS with our pitching compared to NY, Boston, Seattle, and Oakland at the start of the season, you were on the Sox version of Cubbie crack. If we win 90 games, we lose 72! If I have to hear all the "glass-half-empty" people crying after every one of 72 losses, I'm outta here. I might as well be over at ESPN fighting trolls.

voodoochile
05-21-2002, 11:46 AM

Hey, be upset that the offense has stalled, but it's only 2 games! that's 1/81th of the season.

Put it in perspective, if you thought we could win the WS with our pitching compared to NY, Boston, Seattle, and Oakland at the start of the season, you were on the Sox version of Cubbie crack. If we win 90 games, we lose 72! If I have to hear all the "glass-half-empty" people crying after every one of 72 losses, I'm outta here. I might as well be over at ESPN fighting trolls.

Thanx, Randar...

It needed saying...

At least on the troll board you can smack some idiots around after a loss and work off some steam...

Kilroy
05-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Thanks, Randar. I held off on writing something similar, even though I too have been disgusted with the patented brand of Sox Corpseball they've been playing the last 2 weeks.

Agreed, they've been making me sick too. But pulling all these doomsday theories and ridiculous trade ideas out of your ass is stupid.

Once again, people need to be reminded that the standings are what matter right now. And even playing like pure **** the last 2 weeks, the Sox have managed to stay right near the top. Of course, they could have been 5-6 games ahead right now, but one game back is better than 7.

Also, would you rather have a spell of games like this in May or September?

Procol Harum
05-21-2002, 11:52 AM

I think the stalled offense is showing up more frequently than just the last two games--it wasn't all that hot on Friday night, and if you go back to the previous weekend at Anahumm...what did the graphic on last night's game show? The last 18 games or so we've been hitting .249 as a team? And when ya factor in the fact that we've had a couple of big-time blowout wins during that span....not good.

As for thinking World Series with this staff--that's being revealed for the delusional thinking it was (and there was some of that on this board, although I wasn't of that mindet). Still, you can't blame folks for being ticked off--it's been a long time since 1917--and, now even 1959...

MarqSox
05-21-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Also, would you rather have a spell of games like this in May or September?

Dave Wills mentioned it a couple nights ago after a loss, that this season is shaping up a whole lot like 2000. We got off to a real fast start in April, then had a very mediocre May. Hopefully, we'll get into a big brawl this week. :D: Not really, but you get my point. We'll be fine. If we're still lethargic a month from now, I'll worry, but right now, let's just settle down.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Thanx, Randar...

It needed saying...I second that voodoo. The combination of chronic depressive ranting and Flub-like trade suggestions make for some seriously worthless reading. Besides, the ranters are total amateurs. They couldn't carry kenblank's jockstrap. :smile:

Daver
05-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I second that voodoo. The combination of chronic depressive ranting and Flub-like trade suggestions make for some seriously worthless reading. Besides, the ranters are total amateurs. They couldn't carry kenblank's jockstrap. :smile:

LMAO!!!! Ok I'm dying here.

Randar68
05-21-2002, 12:24 PM
I second that voodoo. The combination of chronic depressive ranting and Flub-like trade suggestions make for some seriously worthless reading. Besides, the ranters are total amateurs. They couldn't carry kenblank's jockstrap. :smile:

Oh man, the flashbacks.....LOL!

FarWestChicago
05-21-2002, 12:27 PM

Oh man, the flashbacks.....LOL! Randar, he's on fire lately. He's worse than ever. I've actually been stopping by to read some of his classics, LOL!!

voodoochile
05-21-2002, 12:28 PM

Ahhh... KennieBitch... Now that man can go off on a rant...

Of course the only time he shows up is when he's ranting - after a loss, or during the game when something bad happens.

Some of it is just 1/4 season blahs. Sox are not inspiring great thoughts recently and there is a long way to go, but most topics have been covered. How many times can we discuss Durham?Valentin in the two slot, Foulke's problems in non-save situations, Royce's lack of hitting, Lee's trade value...

It's just the inevitable lull in the conversation... Things will get better if the Sox can get on a roll...

Come on Danny, two in a row...

raul12
05-21-2002, 01:39 PM

Some of it is just 1/4 season blahs. Sox are not inspiring great thoughts recently and there is a long way to go, but most topics have been covered. How many times can we discuss Durham?Valentin in the two slot, Foulke's problems in non-save situations, Royce's lack of hitting, Lee's trade value...

It's just the inevitable lull in the conversation... Things will get better if the Sox can get on a roll...

i think people are just frustrated with baseball in general right now, and the sox playing like crap for most of the last 10 games is the straw that is breaking the camel's back. if the sox would get on a roll, then at least we could drown our frustration that Selig is the antichrist and is sent to destroy life as we know it.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by raul12

i think people are just frustrated with baseball in general right now, and the sox playing like crap for most of the last 10 games is the straw that is breaking the camel's back.Sure, but that's still no excuse for acting like kenblanks or a Flubs fan. :smile:

raul12
05-21-2002, 01:47 PM
Sure, but that's still no excuse for acting like kenblanks or a Flubs fan. :smile:

true. as much as i still feel the jury is out on the ritchie trade, there's no reason for calling for his head. the guy had one bad outing....

FanOf14
05-21-2002, 02:12 PM
I have placed a few post-loss posts, but I try to be constructive. I don't think they are screwed, but they are better than they have been playing for this month. Maybe it's because the weather has been so chilly, maybe it's the poor excuse of a manager/pitching coach we have. Manual is great at developing talent, but doesn't have a clue how to run a team of veterans/non-rookies. He needs to have more fire with this team and less Budda. Whatever the case is, we need the Sox of April back and quick! Also, not everyone is an optimist so let them vent, if you don't like it don't read them. I don't know about others, but when posting a post-loss post, I try to put a warning at the tops of my post that venting/whining will follow and not to look further if that isn't what you are in the mood to read. There has to be someplace to vent frustration and I can't think of a better, non-destructive place than an internet message board.

Anyways, GO SOX!!!

Soxboyrob
05-21-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I have placed a few post-loss posts, but I try to be constructive. I don't think they are screwed, but they are better than they have been playing for this month.

I think THAT's what is so disconcerting about this slump that the Sox are experiencing is that we ALL know that this Sox team is better than they're playing. Our offense doesn't seem able to even generate a hint of a comeback when they're down a couple of runs or so. That's usually a sign of a lack of heart, desire, focus or direction. Once we're down a couple runs, it appears that we're swinging from our heels, not doing what it takes to just GET ON BASE, playing Corpseball, basically. I will remain pissed off at this team until they all start to look alive out there. They don't have to win every game....just play like it might be their last game. I heard that Cubgurugoofball, Mac Newton, on the Score last week and he actually made sense for a moment. He said that it's not enough to just go out on the field and give your best effort to win....went on to say that you ought to go out on the field and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win. There is a difference. I think that's good advice and could apply to any team, including the Sox. The Sox need a dose of that Mac Newton advice.

Procol Harum
05-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I think THAT's what is so disconcerting about this slump that the Sox are experiencing is that we ALL know that this Sox team is better than they're playing.

We have to think that they're better than Corpseball--my Lord, what's the alternative? But, the problem is that most of us Sox fans--for whom a World Series victory is the ultimate goal--know that even if they play better than Corpseball that there's slim and little chance that this team will get any further than the first round of the playoffs. And we still have to get there first, and despite the way in which some folks on this board dismiss the Twinks out-of-hand, that might not be as easy as we'd like to think.

Like the Kinks' 1964 hit said, "I'm So Tired of Waiting!" Which reminds me, I've got this swell set of never-been-used 1964 Sox World Series tickets in a drawer....

Unregistered
05-21-2002, 03:41 PM
It's true we haven't been playing the best ball the past couple of weeks, but we've also had the "luck" of running head on into the hottest teams in the league lately... the angels have won 18 of 20 or something insane like that, and the red sox have the best record in the league, and just beat seattle 2 of 3, so obviously we're running into teams with a lot of momentum. things are cooling off for us, but we'll be back, and we'll have all those end of the world, pessimistic punks starting the "what's our playoff rotation going to look like?" threads all over again.

for those "chicken little" sox fans out there:
http://members.tripod.com/~Chazecjr/storage/chicken.gif

CerberusWG
05-21-2002, 03:47 PM
Sweet, Image hosted by tripod! :smile:

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2002, 01:33 AM
.... that's 1/81th of the season.
I'm trying to pronounce this. Would that be one eighty firth? Or one eighty oneth?

voodoochile
05-22-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

I'm trying to pronounce this. Would that be one eighty firth? Or one eighty oneth?

pretty sure it's "one eighty-first", but you're the teacher...

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2002, 01:55 AM
pretty sure it's "one eighty-first", but you're the teacher... It would be if it said 1/81st.

baggio202
05-22-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by raul12

true. as much as i still feel the jury is out on the ritchie trade, there's no reason for calling for his head. the guy had one bad outing....

i was one of the guys bitching about ritchie..but i actually feel sorry for the guy..its not his fault kenny williams is a moron who thinks a guy that carried a 4.60 era over the last 2 seasons was worth what he paid for him and then told everyone he would win 18-20 games...but ritchie will take the brunt of alot of misplaced anger because when he matches up with the other playoff teams number 2 pitchers he doesnt stand a chance in hell of beating them...lowe vrs ritchie...mussina vrs ritchie...washburn vrs ritchie...hell even pinero or whoever seattle is slating as the number 2 vrs ritchie....doesnt look pretty to me..

this division is osfreakin weak we will eventually sleep walk through it with about 90 wins...and one of the good things in the history of this divisiopn is the year that cleveland came with in 3 outs of winning the world series they won the division with like 86 wins...were considered to have no chance of advancing in the playoffs and that ended up being as close as they ever got to the brass ring....and when you look at how big of favorites we were in '83 and '00....who knows...

but if we really have a chance im sure the players will strike :whiner:

Mathew
05-22-2002, 01:58 AM
It would be if it said 1/81st.

Was today a bad day Nellie? :?:

FarWestChicago
05-22-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Mathew

Was today a bad day Nellie? :?: :?: Nellie's just having fun.

voodoochile
05-22-2002, 02:00 AM
It would be if it said 1/81st.

Nevermind...

Like I said in the last post, you're the teacher...

I guess I get an 'F' in reading comprehension...

:D:

doublem23
05-22-2002, 02:01 AM
All of you 12-year-old, chicken-little, every time we lose the world is coming to an end, "any time a pitcher has a bad outing they are garbage", "we need to make a big trade", and then, "we got robbed in trade X"......

Take your :prozac and freaking relax!!!!!!! Reading this board is becomming more and more like reading the troll boards at ESPN.

Clap, clap, clap

Thank you, Randar. God forbid we lose 40% of our games! No one ever does that!

Mathew
05-22-2002, 02:04 AM
:?: Nellie's just having fun.

That's not the strange thing, teach should enjoys his lessons, what's weird is that so am I and I hate Language Arts.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2002, 02:07 AM

That's not the strange thing, teach should enjoys his lessons, what's weird is that so am I and I hate Language Arts. Nellie is a good teacher. :smile:

voodoochile
05-22-2002, 02:18 AM

That's not the strange thing, teach should enjoys his lessons, what's weird is that so am I and I hate Language Arts.

You left off the "eh"...

Mathew
05-22-2002, 02:27 AM

You left off the "eh"...

You left off the "huh".

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2002, 02:28 AM
You left off the "huh". Huh?

Kilroy
05-22-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
i was one of the guys bitching about ritchie..but i actually feel sorry for the guy..its not his fault kenny williams is a moron who thinks a guy that carried a 4.60 era over the last 2 seasons was worth what he paid for him and then told everyone he would win 18-20 games...but ritchie will take the brunt of alot of misplaced anger because when he matches up with the other playoff teams number 2 pitchers he doesnt stand a chance in hell of beating them...lowe vrs ritchie...mussina vrs ritchie...washburn vrs ritchie...hell even pinero or whoever seattle is slating as the number 2 vrs ritchie....doesnt look pretty to me...

Dude, what are you talking about? First of all, Ritchie doesn't have to "beat" the other team's starter, our "vaunted" offense does.

In Ritchie's last 4 losses, that murderer's row has put up a total of 3 ****ing runs, w/ 2 of those runs in one game. There aren't too many pitchers in history that would have won the 2 games the Sox actually scored in.

I think it's pretty hard to call Kenny Williams a moron when the guy he got has pitched well but the offense hasn't backed up those performances.

Ritchie hasn't pitched badly for the Sox. In fact, before his Tuesday outing, Ritchie's era was 3.32. That was good enuf to have him in the top 10 for AL, and the same as Buehrle. Yet Ritchie is was 3-4, and Buehrle 7-3. That tells you that the bats have not done their part when he's on the hill.

KruseControl04
05-22-2002, 08:56 AM
[B]All of you 12-year-old, chicken-little, every time we lose the world is coming to an end, "any time a pitcher has a bad outing they are garbage", "we need to make a big trade", and then, "we got robbed in trade X"......

I still say we trade Ray

GASHWOUND
05-22-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

Clap, clap, clap

Thank you, Randar. God forbid we lose 40% of our games! No one ever does that!

Its not the losing 40% of our games, its the way we're losing those 40%. When a team goes out there with no emotion, no heart and are just going through the motions that should anger all Sox fans. If we lost 50% of our games, but we were in just about every game and actually appeared to be trying in inning 1 through inning 9 that I would be grateful.
I lurk on alot of team boards, especially the Cubs boards and all i see on them is, "when Pryor comes up, watch out! and "Don't worry, we're gonna pick it up and be in contention for the playoffs!" Stuff like that, the team sucks big time and they still think their going to the playoffs or everything going to be alright...I've never seen such optimistic gibberish in my life. The only think this board that looks remotely like the cubs board is the stupid trade scenarios, I actually saw one trade that a cub fan suggested the other day on one of the boards...Jason Bere for C.Lee?! LOL! Now i actually laughed out loud when I saw that. And I agree, how many threads and posts can we have a day saying why is Clayton starting?? Why wasn't Clayton pinched hit for??? Trade Ray! Trade Lee!! Fire Manuel!!! Manuel isn't going anywhere.

To conclude, all I ask for is that my Sox play with some passion and determination as do every Sox fan on this board...If you accept any less or you don't feel ill in he pit of your stomach by some of these embarrassing loses we have had lately, than you should not make fun of cubs' fans anymore, cause that's the sign of cubs fans..always the optimist

Kilroy
05-22-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
...always the pessimist

To quote the great Inigo Montoya:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means..."

voodoochile
05-22-2002, 12:49 PM

Great movie...

voodoochile
05-22-2002, 12:57 PM

Its not the losing 40% of our games, its the way we're losing those 40%. When a team goes out there with no emotion, no heart and are just going through the motions that should anger all Sox fans. If we lost 50% of our games, but we were in just about every game and actually appeared to be trying in inning 1 through inning 9 that I would be grateful.
I lurk on alot of team boards, especially the Cubs boards and all i see on them is, "when Pryor comes up, watch out! and "Don't worry, we're gonna pick it up and be in contention for the playoffs!" Stuff like that, the team sucks big time and they still think their going to the playoffs or everything going to be alright...I've never seen such pessimistic gibberish in my life. The only think this board that looks remotely like the cubs board is the stupid trade scenarios, I actually saw one trade that a cub fan suggested the other day on one of the boards...Jason Bere for C.Lee?! LOL! Now i actually laughed out loud when I saw that. And I agree, how many threads and posts can we have a day saying why is Clayton starting?? Why wasn't Clayton pinched hit for??? Trade Ray! Trade Lee!! Fire Manuel!!! Manuel isn't going anywhere.

To conclude, all I ask for is that my Sox play with some passion and determination as do every Sox fan on this board...If you accept any less or you don't feel ill in he pit of your stomach by some of these embarrassing loses we have had lately, than you should not make fun of cubs' fans anymore, cause that's the sign of cubs fans..always the pessimist

You know all teams get beat by great pitching occasionally. Sometimes they get beat badly by that pitching. Sometimes a team runs into several of those games in rapid succession, because they are playing several teams that are playoff bound, or on a hot streak while the first team is stinking it up and struggling. It's just a fact of life in baseball. That's why we play 162 games. During that time every team is going to look like world beaters for a stretch - witness the Toons' hot start and subsequent demise, or the way the Yankees took off like a rocket, only to quickly fall to second place. (Do you think they are going to miss the playoffs?)

The idea is to weather the storm. Firing the manager will not make this a better season. It will effectively end any chance the Sox have of making the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind trading Lee, if the team can get good return. Durham is a touchy subject and one I personally waffle on. He has a high value and is a FA at years end, but there is no guarantee the Sox will be as good offensively with Graff at 2B and every other option is unproven.

Have some patience, this team is still finding its way and will be much better in August than it is now.

GASHWOUND
05-22-2002, 02:40 PM

Actually, i do know what it means..it was a mis-use by accident(brain cramp), I changed it to what I meant to say(optimist)...I knew of my error and rushed to change as soon as I got home, cause I knew someone would point it out. Guess not fast enough :o: Oh well...

Kilroy
05-22-2002, 03:19 PM

Actually, i do know what it means..it was a mis-use by accident(brain cramp), I changed it to what I meant to say(optimist)...I knew of my error and rushed to change as soon as I got home, cause I knew someone would point it out. Guess not fast enough :o: Oh well...

Hope you didn't take that personally. It's all in fun you know...

LongDistanceFan
05-23-2002, 02:28 PM
It's a 162 game season, we are in one of the weakest divisions in baseball, it will be alright!!!!!

oh come on now randar.......... do you mean i can't expect to see a 162 - 0 winning record.......... i am really bum now. :D:

FarWestChicago
05-23-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
oh come on now randar.......... do you mean i can't expect to see a 162 - 0 winning record.......... i am really bum now. :D: Hey, don't laugh. There are people ready to break out the razor blades because we can't go 162-0! :smile:

LongDistanceFan
05-23-2002, 03:16 PM
Hey, don't laugh. There are people ready to break out the razor blades because we can't go 162-0! :smile: lmao :gulp: