PDA

View Full Version : Good Kenny article on ESPN.com

thomas35forever
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Phil Rogers writes this piece:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove08/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=3723070

Frater Perdurabo
11-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Solid article. Well done, Phil!

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Well written. Not sugar coated and full of facts.

cws05champ
11-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Good article.....by Phil? No backhanded comments or subtle digs as a lot of his articles have these days.

Dead on accurate assessment.....has he been lurking here?

oeo
11-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Good article.....by Phil? No backhanded comments or subtle digs as a lot of his articles have these days.

Dead on accurate assessment.....has he been lurking here?

He posts here sometimes. I don't remember his username, though, it's been awhile. I'm pretty sure the last time he was here, he was getting flamed like no other.

raven1
11-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Good article, but as recently as last spring wasn't Phil Rogers slamming KW for the very moves he now praises him for? I would have more respect for Phil's views if he was even the least bit consistent, rather than jumping on whatever bandwagon is hot at the moment.

veeter
11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Good article, but as recently as last spring wasn't Phil Rogers slamming KW for the very moves he now praises him for? I would have more respect for Phil's views if he was even the least bit consistent, rather than jumping on whatever bandwagon is hot at the moment.You got it. He's written many times that Kenny has depleted an already weak farm system. That these trade were risky, blah, blah, blah. This article was nice. And really, I think, Phil's way of eating some crow. My question is this...at what point do media people stop doubting Kenny? His moves seem to always be criticized, then later validated. The funny thing is, it seems his moves the media likes, are the ones that don't work out.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-25-2008, 09:35 AM
You got it. He's written many times that Kenny has depleted an already weak farm system. That these trade were risky, blah, blah, blah. This article was nice. And really, I think, Phil's way of eating some crow. My question is this...at what point do media people stop doubting Kenny? His moves seem to always be criticized, then later validated. The funny thing is, it seems his moves the media likes, are the ones that don't work out.

No matter what KW does, he'll always be 2nd guessed because payrolls win championships(in the mentality of the Chicago sportswriters i.e., the Cubs); because he doesn't spend it to win it, they use that as the reason to doubt him. What KW does do is take risks; not all of them work out obviously but the ones that do (Quentin, Alexei) pay huge dividends.

Maybe it's taken 4+ years for them to figure that out.

Thigpen "57"
11-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Wow, no doubt this is the best article by Phil Rogers I can remember reading. Maybe it was a typo and is supposed to read Phil Rodgers.

Best part is the end. It is comforting to know as a fan that we won't be giving our guys away. As much flak as some here give Dye and/or Vazquez, they are still solid players that contribute to a winning team.

With Javy especially, we have all heard and seen how he could be an "ace", but it is clear that he is essentially a solid middle rotation guy who can take the ball every 5th day and hopefully give you a chance. Plus his salary compared to todays market is quite a bargain.

Don' give em away Kenny, make them pay! :D:

DSpivack
11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
No matter what KW does, he'll always be 2nd guessed because payrolls win championships(in the mentality of the Chicago sportswriters i.e., the Cubs); because he doesn't spend it to win it, they use that as the reason to doubt him. What KW does do is take risks; not all of them work out obviously but the ones that do (Quentin, Alexei) pay huge dividends.

Maybe it's taken 4+ years for them to figure that out.

That's more perception than reality, though, not that I disagree with you. The Sox payroll hasn't been a whole lot different than the other Chicago team the last few years.

CashMan
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
That's more perception than reality, though, not that I disagree with you. The Sox payroll hasn't been a whole lot different than the other Chicago team the last few years.

I think people see the Cubs, go out and sign a Soriano, Fukadome, and wish Kenny would be more active in FA. Kenny has made smart trades and has acquired TCQ, or went below the radar and signed TCM. I think people just want the wow factor of signing someone rather than making a trade. Then people bitch about how Kenny has traded away all of the Sox prospects, when in reality none of the prospects he has dealt have done anything.

Jurr
11-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, and he won a WS with a 75 million dollar payroll. It's all about putting the RIGHT pieces together, not just the flashiest.

HomeFish
11-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Most of our money is in players who are not big-name FA signings. Its in extensions we give to guys like Buehrle, AJ, etc.