PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Sign Indians [from India, not Cleveland]

DSpivack
11-24-2008, 05:50 PM
http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/12392/20081124/pirates_make_history_by_signing_two_indian_born_pl ayers/

turners56
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/12392/20081124/pirates_make_history_by_signing_two_indian_born_pl ayers/

One of them topped out at 90, which isn't all that bad. However, I don't see them being all that good.

Michstate45
11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
There is a big reason why nobody from Inida has ever played baseball. Why waste your time if you are the Pirates? The learning curve is much too large to make the investment worth it.

DSpivack
11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
There is a big reason why nobody from Inida has ever played baseball. Why waste your time if you are the Pirates? The learning curve is much too large to make the investment worth it.

Well, cricket is the most popular sport there, and is the most similar sport to baseball.

WhiteSox5187
11-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Well, cricket is the most popular sport there, and is the most similar sport to baseball.
I agree, the Brewers had a couple of guys from Australia who were converted cricket players, so I imagine it is possible...I believe these two kids though were winners in a game show in India that took a bunch of cricket players and offered them a chance in the MLB, which is a pretty cool idea for a game show if you ask me. I don't think they'll do anything but I'm rooting for them! It's always nice to see the game expand into other countries.

Corlose 15
11-25-2008, 12:05 AM
I have to say that I found it amusing that these guys were named Singh and Patel.

Its like holding a gameshow contest here and the two guys that win are named Smith and Jones.:cool:

turners56
11-25-2008, 07:14 AM
I have to say that I found it amusing that these guys were named Singh and Patel.

Its like holding a gameshow contest here and the two guys that win are named Smith and Jones.:cool:

I know too many Indians with the last name Patel. It's really common, kind of like the last name Smith.

Michstate45
11-25-2008, 09:44 AM

Definitely. But to get these guys to be ready for the major leagues as pitchers would take much too long. I'm also considering how long it would take them to get used to Amiercan culture (language, food, style of living, etc.) It's just too long of an investment to make it worth it. Especially when the money and coaching can be spent on high school prospects who possess similar tools and actually know how to use a baseball glove.

whitesox901
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
I dont think they'll pan out. Sure cricket is like baseball, but the sport isnt popular and you gotta look at American Soccer/Futbal, its not one of our main sports, and look how good we are at it.

NLaloosh
11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Do they bring their own slurpee machines?

VeeckAsInWreck
11-25-2008, 02:38 PM

"Oh boy"
http://www.timetravelreviews.com/images/television/quantum.jpg

HomeFish
11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Cool. It's always fun to see players come here from other countries and do well. There are a billion people in India and even if only a tiny, tiny percentage of them turn out to be any good at baseball that's still a major talent infusion into the game.

A game similar to baseball is also played in Finland. I wonder if we will ever see a Finnish player come over here.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-27-2008, 02:00 AM

:scratch: really?
wow.

WSox597
11-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Imagine, though, if baseball took off in India. With their population, if they took to it, baseball would rival soccer worldwide.

Over a billion people, if I remember correctly.

Wow, that would be a bunch of fans! MLB would be going nuts with all of those marketing possibilities. :D:

Milw
12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I know too many Indians with the last name Patel. It's really common, kind of like the last name Smith.
Patel, I'm told, is roughly translated as "Innkeeper." Which explains why just about every owner of a Quality Inn is named Patel.

(Forgive me if that's incorrect info, but it came from someone in the hotel industry, so I trust it...)

DSpivack
12-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Patel, I'm told, is roughly translated as "Innkeeper." Which explains why just about every owner of a Quality Inn is named Patel.

(Forgive me if that's incorrect info, but it came from someone in the hotel industry, so I trust it...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patel

guillen4life13
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM

It means farmer or landowner. As someone of Indian heritage, I hope that this was an honest mistake (and it seems as though it was).

My dad is a Ph.D. Chemical Engineer, and when I used to tell people he worked for Amoco (and later BP), people asked "Oh, which station?".

It used to irk me just a little bit but I didn't take personal offense because I knew there was no malicious intent.