PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Losses...

beasly213
11-24-2008, 04:24 PM
What are some of the toughest losses the White Sox have had while you were in attendance at the game?

Mine was in 2004 at Wrigley when after Carlos Lee tied it in the top of the 9th Marte choked and walked in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th.

Having to walk out of Wrigley Field on the 4th of July with all the drunk Cub fans waving their brooms was a brutal experience.

What about you guys?

longtimesoxguy
11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Tito landrum!!!!! Ouch still stings.

chisoxmike
11-24-2008, 04:36 PM
I wasn't at this game, but this is by far the toughest lost I've been through...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200309180.shtml

I was at this gem the night the Sox completed their 2006 meltdown...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200609180.shtml

luke4me1st
11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
mine was I think april of 98 clemens pitching about 15 deegrees outside 300 fans in the stands and we got one or two hits lost 5-0 or so don't remember all facts exactly since my brain was frozen.

sox1970
11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200205290.shtml

Bad.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200309100.shtml

Worse.

chisoxmike
11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200205290.shtml

Bad.

I was at this one. Holy **** that game sucked.

chisoxmike
11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
I'll never forget being at this game. Even at the age of 12, I remember being pissed off that they found a way to lose this game...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199605120.shtml

turners56
11-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I'll never forget being at this game. Even at the age of 12, I remember being pissed off that they found a way to lose this game...

Yeah, up 8-0 and then losing it. That does suck.

One that almost got away this year was that Detroit double header. We were up 7-0 and blew the lead. Thankfully, Kyle Farnsworth came to the rescue.

doublem23
11-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Game 3 of the 2000 ALDS.

Crushing how fast that season came to an end.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-24-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't know exactly what game it was, but I remember the Sox were down two runs in like the 8th inning and Alexei got a "hit" and the Detroit left fielder made an amazing dive to get the final out. There was a man on 3rd and 2nd so the game probably would have been tied. That made the game suck even more because some guy suckered me into giving his kid the first BP ball I caught. :whiner:

I think Alexei tying the game in the 10th in another game with a homerun on my birthday makes up for that though! :tongue:

turners56
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know exactly what game it was, but I remember the Sox were down two runs in like the 8th inning and Alexei got a "hit" and the Detroit left fielder made an amazing dive to get the final out. There was a man on 3rd and 2nd so the game probably would have been tied. That made the game suck even more because some guy suckered me into giving his kid the first BP ball I caught. :whiner:

I think Alexei tying the game in the 10th with a homerun on my birthday makes up for that though! :tongue:

That was the Detroit game where Javy did his usual thing of sucking. We lost 8-2. That was also the game where Thome ran around 3rd like he was on a morning jog and got nailed at the plate.

sox1970
11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Game 3 of the 2000 ALDS.

Crushing how fast that season came to an end.

I was at Game 2. Sirotka's last ML game. I don't remember anything from that game other than they lost.

DSpivack
11-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Torii Hunter. Jamie Burke.

CWS44
11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
This is the first game I remember where I was REALLY devastated by the loss:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198310080.shtml

I mostly remember walking down the ramps with my Dad after the game, trying not to cry, and some people behind us said, "oh well, wait until next year," and that just infuriated me. I had to turn around and say, "Sox fans don't say that!"

SoxNation05
11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Opening day this year hurt like a bitch.

jackbrohamer
11-24-2008, 05:27 PM
I have to agree that the worst, bar none, was the Tito Landrum/Jerry Dybzynski nightmare to close out the 1983 playoffs. Then all of the playoff losses against Toronto in 1993 and Seattle in 2000.

This regular-season game was "tough" just because it drove home just how bad the post-White-Flag Sox were in 1998:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199805250.shtml (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199805250.shtml)

I want Mags back
11-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Sept. 21, 2005. Following Crede's epic walkoff a night prior, the tribe take the 3rd game of the set 8-1 or something and decrease our lead in the division to either .5 or 1.5, I can't remember. I thought the season was over after that night, it just seemed nothing could go our way the rest of the year, and that Cleveland would runaway with the division there after.

the other one I have is back in '07 at Wrigley, the saturday game. It was back and forth the whole way until D. Lee hit a GS in 7th. I remember leaving the shrine than and being taunted by Cubs fans. I replied by showing them the sleeve of my jersey, which dawned a World Series champions patch. That really got to a bunch of people.

I want Mags back
11-24-2008, 05:38 PM
I have to agree that the worst, bar none, was the Tito Landrum/Jerry Dybzynski nightmare to close out the 1983 playoffs. Then all of the playoff losses against Toronto in 1993 and Seattle in 2000.

This regular-season game was "tough" just because it drove home just how bad the post-White-Flag Sox were in 1998:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199805250.shtml (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199805250.shtml)

ahh...May 25th was WELL before the White Flag trade occured

sox1970
11-24-2008, 05:40 PM

The White Flag trade was in 1997.

chisoxfanatic
11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
It wasn't an actual game; but, the losses of these two players left me ruined for a long time afterwards:

Robin Ventura
Carlos Lee

As for games, I was at this one:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200509220.shtml

I thought our season was over after that one.

thomas35forever
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Sept. 21, 2005. Following Crede's epic walkoff a night prior, the tribe take the 3rd game of the set 8-1 or something and decrease our lead in the division to either .5 or 1.5, I can't remember. I thought the season was over after that night, it just seemed nothing could go our way the rest of the year, and that Cleveland would runaway with the division there after.

the other one I have is back in '07 at Wrigley, the saturday game. It was back and forth the whole way until D. Lee hit a GS in 7th. I remember leaving the shrine than and being taunted by Cubs fans. I replied by showing them the sleeve of my jersey, which dawned a World Series champions patch. That really got to a bunch of people.

I was at that game. Very frustrating how they couldn't get runners home in the ninth. Not even the blooper reel they showed after that inning could cheer anyone up.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong game. I meant the September 22 game of that year. I feel embarrassed.

Another game was when the Twins swept us in late July of '04. Valentin dropped a foul pop in the tenth with two outs and a runner on. The next pitch saw the game-winning hit. I knew right there that the Sox were done for the year.

Moses_Scurry
11-24-2008, 06:12 PM
I was at the game in 1990 when Lee Stevens formally introduced himself to Bobby Thigpen. My worst game by far. The only game I went to that year. The midst of a pennant race. Had the game won.

doublem23
11-24-2008, 06:19 PM

That game is May 25, 2008... 10 months after the White Flag trade.

LITTLE NELL
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
I attended Game 2 of 1959 World Series. After we blew out the Dodgers in game one 11-0, we were rallying in the 8th inning of game 2,with 1 out Al Smith doubles to left center and Landis scores to make it 4-3 LA, however Sherm Lollar is out by 20 feet to end the rally. I was 13 years old and to this day I can't understand why 3B coach Tony Cucinello sent Lollar home, Sherm was a great catcher but was the slowest man in the AL. If we win that game it changes everything as we would have gone out to LA leading the series 2-0 and would have a great chance of winning that series.

AnkleSox
11-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I was at a game against the red sox in 2003. Bartolo Colon went 10 innings i believe, throwing a 2 hitter with both being bombs by Ortiz. The Good Sox lost 2-1.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong. Colon did go a complete 9 innings and did give up only two solo shots, but they were to Nixon and Kapler, not Ortiz.

Dick Allen
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
No doubt, the Tito Landrum game. His HR landed about 10 feet from me in the friggin LF upper deck.

Second place goes to game 2 of the '93 ALCS, when the Sox couldn't score with the bags loaded and nobody out. Lance Johnson, Dan Pasqua, and Ron Karkovice, thanks for nothing.

longtimesoxguy
11-24-2008, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=Dick Allen;2107686]No doubt, the Tito Landrum game. His HR landed about 10 feet from me in the friggin LF upper deck.

No doubt if we win that game we win game 5 with Hoyt pitching. The Phillies would of been no match in the world series. Brit Burns pitched the same game that Danks did in the play in game.

ode to veeck
11-24-2008, 07:24 PM
the playoff losses to the Orioles in winning ugly season, we had waited so long to have any team in the playoffs (1st in chicago in > 20 years) and they were playing so well late in the season and had a stellar pitching staff only to go down with a whimper

ChiSoxGirl
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM

After that game, the Sox's lead shrunk to 1 1/2 games. This was me: :o:

I was at that game. Very frustrating how they couldn't get runners home in the ninth. Not even the blooper reel they showed after that inning could cheer anyone up.

Another game was when the Twins swept us in late July of '04. Valentin dropped a foul pop in the tenth with two outs and a runner on. The next pitch saw the game-winning hit. I knew right there that the Sox were done for the year.

So was I. It was the last of three Teacher Nights that season and I sat up on the Fan Deck for like $7. I had a front row-center seat and remember wanting to jump off the Fan Deck after Konerko popped one up the elevator shaft to end the ballgame. I thought for sure that the season was ovah! 'Of course we all know what happened in the following weeks. :cool:

DumpJerry
11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
You were there? Oh my. If I was there, I would have jumped off the UD. I was up on St. Paul, Minn watching all alone on the television. The tears coming down my cheeks after it ended made Niagara Falls look like a trickle in comparison.

I've been to many a painful losses. There is always the loss in the August/September where you know the season has ended-those bite.

I was at all the home games during the seven game losing streak in '05. They all hurt, but it was nice being at the Shell The Hell of the Big Unit game to end it.

Then there was this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200509220.shtml) game in September, 2005. We were tied in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded and Dye was up with one out. Did he lean into a pitch to take one for the team and win? No. He had to be a hero and swing for the fences. He flew out to Right. Uribe then came up. Did he lean into one to take one for the team? Nope. He had to be a hero and swing for the fences. He flew out to Center.

Jenks then gave up three runs in the 11th. As the team walked off the field after the loss, I got a sense that they felt fun and games were over and it was time to get serious. They went on to win eight of the next ten regular season games and then eleven of twelve postseason games. So, all's well, ends well.

PalehosePlanet
11-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I was at the game in 1990 when Lee Stevens formally introduced himself to Bobby Thigpen. My worst game by far. The only game I went to that year. The midst of a pennant race. Had the game won.

I was at this doozy myself. I remember it very well: Lee Stephens hit a sky ball to dead center into the bullpen in the top of the 9th. I didn't look for it on baseball-reference but I believe the final was 3-2. Terrible...

Another tough one was when Foulke gave up the 10th inning homer to Edgar Martinez in game one of the 2000 ALDS.

WhiteSox5187
11-24-2008, 11:40 PM
One of the most devestating losses I've been at was the second to last game against Cleveland that Javy pitched. The crowd was electric because KC had beaten Minnesota and Javy promptly goes out and gives up something like six runs in the third and just didn't really seem to give a rat's ass about it. We somehow made a come back to make it a one run game in the seventh I believe, but then Dotel came in and just couldn't get anyone out. I remember leaving that game thinking "man, this team just looks dead. It will take a miracle to get them into the playoffs..." then lo and behold! We got one! :cool:

GoGoCrede
11-25-2008, 12:03 AM
One of the most devestating losses I've been at was the second to last game against Cleveland that Javy pitched. The crowd was electric because KC had beaten Minnesota and Javy promptly goes out and gives up something like six runs in the third and just didn't really seem to give a rat's ass about it. We somehow made a come back to make it a one run game in the seventh I believe, but then Dotel came in and just couldn't get anyone out. I remember leaving that game thinking "man, this team just looks dead. It will take a miracle to get them into the playoffs..." then lo and behold! We got one! :cool:

The game the night before that was horrible as well. We'd just gotten swept by Minnesota. KC was up 4-0, prompting bursts of cheers from the crowd. Danks is lifted early and the bullpen comes in, giving up a grand slam (which I thought BA had caught at first :whiner:). Carrasco is booed off the field. Things get interesting towards the end, but we can't scrape together any more runs and we lost 11-8.

WhiteSox5187
11-25-2008, 12:10 AM
The game the night before that was horrible as well. We'd just gotten swept by Minnesota. KC was up 4-0, prompting bursts of cheers from the crowd. Danks is lifted early and the bullpen comes in, giving up a grand slam (which I thought BA had caught at first :whiner:). Carrasco is booed off the field. Things get interesting towards the end, but we can't scrape together any more runs and we lost 11-8.
The only reason I chose the Javy game over that was because that day Javy was quoted as saying "Well, I have my house in Puerto Rico," where as at least after the first game Danks came up to the press and said "I just sucked tonight. There's no excuse for it. We would have won if I could have pitched semi-descent, tonight's loss goes on me." I thought that was a classy and ballsy thing for a kid in his second year in the bigs pitching his biggest game to date to do.

chisoxfanatic
11-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Oh, that truly was a disappointing game! I was watching the whole game at Pequod's on Clybourn and remember feeling numb for a good portion of the night. The only thing that was good about that day in sports was that the Twins had lost before the start of the game. That should've been more motivation for Javy to pitch his ass off. Instead, he had his ass handed to him, losing the last bit of confidence I had in him.

I guess things happen for a reason, and if it weren't for Javy's sucking that night, none of us would've been able to experience the Blackout game the following Tuesday. I truly will never forget that Blackout game. It will sit as one of my Top 3 moments ever at the ballpark.

4 points
11-25-2008, 05:54 AM

Considering you appear to be a Hoosier fan, I find it hard to believe that any Sox loss could be considered devastating.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandanc e::bandance:

4 points
11-25-2008, 05:59 AM
I attended Game 2 of 1959 World Series. After we blew out the Dodgers in game one 11-0, we were rallying in the 8th inning of game 2,with 1 out Al Smith doubles to left center and Landis scores to make it 4-3 LA, however Sherm Lollar is out by 20 feet to end the rally. I was 13 years old and to this day I can't understand why 3B coach Tony Cucinello sent Lollar home, Sherm was a great catcher but was the slowest man in the AL. If we win that game it changes everything as we would have gone out to LA leading the series 2-0 and would have a great chance of winning that series.

Because he`s Tony Cucinello, is the why. I believe future Sox catcher S. Burgess goes down as slowest player in Sox history.:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

C-Dawg
11-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Mine was in 2004 at Wrigley when after Carlos Lee tied it in the top of the 9th Marte choked and walked in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th.

Having to walk out of Wrigley Field on the 4th of July with all the drunk Cub fans waving their brooms was a brutal experience.

I was at that one too; it was my first time back at Wrigley in over 20 years. A good outing from Buehrle gone to waste I might add.

LITTLE NELL
11-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Because he`s Tony Cucinello, is the why. I believe future Sox catcher S. Burgess goes down as slowest player in Sox history.:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:
Smokey was the slowest Sox player but at that time he was with the Pirates and Sherm was still the slowest on the Sox and the American League.

4 points
11-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Smokey was the slowest Sox player but at that time he was with the Pirates and Sherm was still the slowest on the Sox and the American League.

I agree, hence the word future.:gulp:

Iwritecode
11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
The game where Freddy Garcia pitched a one-hitter and lost because the one hit he gave up was a solo shot to Jaque Jones and the Sox offense couldn't do crap.

PaleHoser
11-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Me too! August 25, 1990 - here's the box score (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199008250.shtml). Sox had a 2-0 lead heading into the ninth. McDowell walked the leadoff hitter. Torborg calls for Thigpen. My wife looks at me and says "I don't have a good feeling about this".

Two on, two out, two strikes to the immortal Lee Stevens. Fans standing and clapping, whooping it up.. He's late on three fastballs, fouled over the roof on the third base side. Thigpen threw him a straight change and Stevens crushed it 430 feet to dead center field. Sox lose 3-2.

That game absolutely cured me of the urge to stand with two outs in the ninth. I've never done it since.

veeter
11-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Game six 1993 playoffs. Dave Stewart vs. Alex Fernandez. The Sox had no chance.

roylestillman
11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Opening Day 2004 in Kansas City. Flew down to KC to attend this one. (Remember when air fares were so cheap you could do that sort of thing?) Up 7-3 going into the bottom of the 9th. Politte, Koch, Marte and six runs later, Sox lose. A literal jaw dropper.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KCA/KCA200404050.shtml

ChiSoxFan81
11-25-2008, 10:47 AM

Yes, this game was certainly brutal. It's near the top of my list as well.

I also attended a game vs. the Red Sox a number of years back on Elvis night. IIRC, Manny Ramirez hit 2 grand slams. Just an awful game.

I want Mags back
11-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Considering you appear to be a Hoosier fan, I find it hard to believe that any Sox loss could be considered devastating.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandanc e::bandance:

my Sox fandom is miles ahead of IU.

JGarlandrules20
11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Most of the games I went to in '07 were awful. They always started as close games until the bullpen pissed it away in the later innings. I've tried to forget about them and my record of 1-6 that year, hah.

I was also at 2 extra inning games in '05 that the sox lost. I don't think that team lost an extra inning game on the road that season, but they lost 2 at home when I was in attendance. It sucked.

And as previously mentioned, the 9/27 game of this year was awful to be at. I think that tops my list just because it was so important and Javy fell apart when we needed him the most.

thomas35forever
11-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Opening Day 2004 in Kansas City. Flew down to KC to attend this one. (Remember when air fares were so cheap you could do that sort of thing?) Up 7-3 going into the bottom of the 9th. Politte, Koch, Marte and six runs later, Sox lose. A literal jaw dropper.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KCA/KCA200404050.shtml
Ouch, I remember that game. I thought it set the course for the year. In a way, it did.

jabrch
11-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Me too. Nothing I have witnessed was more painful than that.

The Immigrant
11-25-2008, 04:45 PM
The last game at the Metrodome this past season (a/k/a "The Carlos Gomez Game"). I was absolutely useless at work the next day.

ohthosechisox
11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
This is the first game that comes into my mind because it was just so horrible. It's not exactly a "tough loss" as much as it was embarrassing that nobody could play baseball to save their lives that day. 5 errors, ouch!
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200707061.shtml
At least I didn't go to the second game of the double header when the Sox lost 12-0. :X

I also went up to Minnesota for a road trip in '06 and came home 0-2, which has only added to my hatred of the Metrodome.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200605130.shtml
Just another game where the Sox had a nice 4-0 lead before Javy decided to explode in the middle innings. Of course the Sox couldn't score any more runs after that either.

I've actually had quite some recent luck though. I hope my good record in '08 can carry over to '09. :smile:

oldcomiskey
11-25-2008, 05:01 PM
there was a game in Tampa when Billy Koch was closing and Carl Crawford hit a 3 run homer in the 9th to beat us. I believe it was on July 4th,2003

whitesox901
11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
The game I went to on Sep 27th this year, we came back to within two, and we gave up six runs in the ninth, I thought for sure we wouldn't win the division.

LITTLE NELL
11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
there was a game in Tampa when Billy Koch was closing and Carl Crawford hit a 3 run homer in the 9th to beat us. I believe it was on July 4th,2003
I was at that game, it was on the 4th as we stayed in downtown St Pete and watched a good fireworks show after a bummer of a game.

turners56
11-25-2008, 07:02 PM
I was at that game, it was on the 4th as we stayed in downtown St Pete and watched a good fireworks show after a bummer of a game.

I remember being at my friend's house. His d-bag brother switched the channel when there was one out in the 9th. We made him switch back a couple of minutes later and the game was over. I was like "What the hell just happened?"

Woofer
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
The final game of this season against the Rays was pretty tough. After all that we had to go through that final week, I was almost glad that I didn't have to suffer any more.

jodigrind
11-25-2008, 07:46 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA200308280.shtml

I had just moved to New York, the Sox were coming on super strong, taking the first 2 games convincingly. Buherle asks Manual to make the start in the final afternoon game. Manual, reasoning that the Sox had already "won" the series, starts a VERY green Neal Cotts. He blows up in the first inning, giving up 5 quick runs. The Sox make it close, but Manual's decision to start Cotts was the beginning of the end of his tenure as manager. No question--if Buherle starts, the Sox complete the sweep.

C-Dawg
11-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I had just moved to New York, the Sox were coming on super strong, taking the first 2 games convincingly. Buherle asks Manual to make the start in the final afternoon game. Manual, reasoning that the Sox had already "won" the series, starts a VERY green Neal Cotts. He blows up in the first inning, giving up 5 quick runs. The Sox make it close, but Manual's decision to start Cotts was the beginning of the end of his tenure as manager. No question--if Buherle starts, the Sox complete the sweep.

The very next series was over Labor Day weekend in Detroit; on a spur of the moment plan I made the drive to Detroit to catch the Friday and Saturday night games. Saturday night, I had seats in the lower deck about twenty rows up from the Sox dugout; a bunch of other fans who'd also made the drive up from Chicago kept hassling Jerry Manual the whole game ("Hey Jerry, when are we going to see that Cotts guy!?! Put Neal back in Jerry!"). Poor Neal; I felt bad for him all the way until 2005.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Lots of Sox Fans remember this fiasco, too. There were signs the prior two seasons that Manuel was losing his clubhouse, but that mess with Buehrle and Cotts really tore it. I mean what kind of manager sets his pitching rotation to beat a team on-track to lose 119 games? Hell, for Detroit that series vs. the Sox was turned into the World Series... all thanks to Jerry Manuel!
:nuts:

The Jose Paniaqua game later that month sealed Manuel's fate. Letting Minnesota off the mat was the last straw. For Mets' fans sake, I hope he has smartened up these past five years. I wouldn't bet on it though.

turners56
11-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Then Buehrle sucks against Detroit the day after. IMO, that was the start of the 2003 collapse.

ihatethecubs
11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200309020.shtml

tought late season loss. colon gives up 2 solo shots, nothing else. sox 0-10 with risp.

chisoxfanatic
11-25-2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200309020.shtml

tought late season loss. colon gives up 2 solo shots, nothing else. sox 0-10 with risp.
Yikes! Take a look at the attendance for that game. Yea, Red Sox Nation isn't just a bunch of bandwagoners. :rolleyes:

oldcomiskey
11-26-2008, 09:10 PM
June 12,2003

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200306120.shtml

I remember Colon had Bonds then tried to trick him with a breaking ball. Then Manuel brought in Marte who proceeded to balk and then give a grand slam to Aurilla

6th_starter
11-28-2008, 01:51 AM
June 12,2003

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200306120.shtml

I remember Colon had Bonds then tried to trick him with a breaking ball. Then Manuel brought in Marte who proceeded to balk and then give a grand slam to Aurilla

Yeah, I was at that game ... that was my worst as well. Colon struck out bonds his first three at bats ... gets him 0-2 and everyones standing, cheering, speculating if bonds has ever been K'd 4 in a row and BAM tape measure, followed by the slam, ugh.

Huisj
11-28-2008, 12:47 PM
The most disappointing one I can think of in my recent memory was August 23 this past season, the Saturday afternoon game against TB. I had just finished a week of PhD qualifiers that didn't go well, and none of my friends were in town over the weekend, so I drove down to Chicago Saturday morning and went to the game by myself.

Vazquez was spotless through 5 inning, and then gave up 1 in the 6th, but the game still looked in control with the Sox up 3-1 after 7. Then in the 8th, Vazquez suddenly looked gassed, and he loaded the bases with nobody out. Then Thornton came in and threw about 15 fastballs in a row to Iwamura that he fouled off before walking in a run, and then 2 basehits later, it was 5-3. The Sox did nothing at all in the next two innings, capped off by Griffey pinch-hitting and popping out foul to end the game.

Then I got in my car and drove back home. Long day, and it felt like a waste.

soxinem1
11-28-2008, 07:55 PM

I remember this one real well. Four singles after the fourth inning. Wow...

But the first ever Turn Back The Clock Game against MIL in 1990 was even tougher.

Sox up 9-3, then MIL gets six in the eighth, and three more in ther 13th to win.

Greg Gagne's GW 3-run ITPHR off Rich Dotson in 1984 in the 9th at MIN was a heartbreaker too.

ode to veeck
11-29-2008, 09:28 AM
worst win: the paniccia game that gave the twinks the division title