PDA

View Full Version : At least we aren't the Brewers

MarqSox
05-20-2002, 11:38 PM
From ESPN.com ...

If you've ever wondered what it was like to be a publicity man for a team that was 12-28, trying to find something positive to put on the daily press notes, we present the shining example of the Milwaukee Brewers' Jason Parry.

Last Thursday, before what would become the Brewers' final loss of a sweep by the Reds, Parry presented a full page of notes about "things you may not have known."

Among them:

"The Brewers are 2,501-0 when outscoring the opposition, including their time as the Seattle Pilots."

"Just as the Brewers, they have piled up a Milwaukee baseball record 2,437 consecutive victories when they score more runs than the team they are playing."

"On this date in 1866, the United States Congress authorized minting of the nickel. ... Congratulations to the nickel on its 136th birthday."

You have to admit, that's way more upbeat than reporting, "The Brewers finally have more hits than strikeouts."

:)

baggio202
05-20-2002, 11:54 PM
how the hell did we go from 95 wins, 30 million dollar payroll and the best farm system in baseball to "atleast we arnt the brewers" in 2 short years???

oh yeah...d'head williams....who has to show us that GM's win championships

:whiner:

Nellie_Fox
05-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
how the hell did we go from 95 wins, 30 million dollar payroll and the best farm system in baseball to "atleast we arnt the brewers" in 2 short years???
I think it is a bit "out on the ledge" to say the Sox have reached the point of "at least we aren't the Brewers," but your point is otherwise well taken. The promise of 2000 seems to have evaporated.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2002, 01:08 AM
Fear not, people...for we have 2 series with the Cubs coming up next month! Plus we get the rather weak NL East. Without a doubt, we are going to get some great help with our interleague games, as we did last year. Those games could be used as springboards for a great rest of the season! The light at the end of the tunnel is near...and it is not a train!

Heather the Redbird

baggio202
05-21-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

I think it is a bit "out on the ledge" to say the Sox have reached the point of "at least we aren't the Brewers," but your point is otherwise well taken. The promise of 2000 seems to have evaporated.

i should have used teal on that part..but my feeling about williams are real...im really not a fan of his..havent been for a long time

KruseControl04
05-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Yeah... The team isn't going to be as good as it was in 2000, but I think we still have a serious chance to win the division. And maybe, just maybe we can win the first playoff series.

hold2dibber
05-21-2002, 09:33 AM
I'm definitely confident that this team is better than it is currently playing and will win somewhere between 85-90 games this year - which may be enough to win the division. We're in a bad stretch right now, but our hitters are better than they're showing and we've been catching hot teams. With that said, the chances of the Sox, as currently constituted, winning a playoff series, is infintesimal (sp?). Presumably, the other three playoff teams would be the Mariners, Yankees and Red Sox. I cannot see the Sox defeating any of those teams in the playoffs - unless, of course, KW manages to make a move to bolster the starting pitching and we catch lightning in a bottle like, for instance, the Cubs did in '84 when they picked up Sutcliffe. Omar Daal, Scott Erickson, Jeff Weaver or Jeff Suppan could give the Sox the legitimate third starter they need to get over the hump. If not, I have no confidence that the Sox could win a playoff series this year.

GASHWOUND
05-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by KruseControl04

Yeah... The team isn't going to be as good as it was in 2000, but I think we still have a serious chance to win the division. And maybe, just maybe we can win the first playoff series.

Unless the definition of Maybe is "Fat Chance"...I doubt it

Prove me wrong Sox....

Soxheads
05-21-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Unless the definition of Maybe is "Fat Chance"...I doubt it

Prove me wrong Sox....

Wow, we've got quite a few pessimists here.

GASHWOUND
05-21-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

The Sox are not fulfilling any confidence in me right now, so ya damn right I'm being pessimistic

Prove me wrong Sox...

Soxheads
05-21-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

The Sox are not fulfilling any confidence in me right now, so ya damn right I'm being pessimistic

Prove me wrong Sox...

I still think that the pitching shows promise. It's the "O" that I am concerned about. Yet, I am still not really that concerned.

Jerry_Manuel
05-21-2002, 04:30 PM

That's my gimmick. :smile:

Oh well, Go Sox!

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2002, 12:24 AM
I still think that the pitching shows promise. It's the "O" that I am concerned about. Yet, I am still not really that concerned.
Wow, then one of us is really wrong. I see a team with very suspect pitching and an overload of designated hitters.