PDA

View Full Version : Peavy's New Rumored Destination: Houston

WhiteSoxFan84
11-23-2008, 03:42 AM
Linky (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-23-rogers-whispersnov23,0,2640085.story)

Some people in Houston are beginning to show optimism that the Astros could be the team to pull off a Jake Peavy deal. Roy Oswalt has been telling Peavy that as a 1-2 punch they would make Houston competitive again

Make this happen! Probably not going to but this would be pretty cool. Of course Peavy's numbers would skyrocket and no way in hell would he accept a trade to Houston, but wouldn't it be awesome to see Oswalt/Peavy back-to-back and Pence/Lee/Berkman/Tejada/and co. lumbering the ball around?

And another reason this won't happen, the Astros have to trim down payroll as they're assembled today. And no way will San Diego TAKE any money off their hands.

The article has some other little tidbits, nothing major. Only White Sox mention is that former SS Orlando Cabrera is being targeted by the Dodgers and Tigers.

russ99
11-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Sounds like pundit-created conjecture, since the Astros owner slammed the door on this a few weeks ago. BTW, Peavy included the Astros as one of the teams he'd waive his NTC for. He's also come out publicly saying that he wants to play there.

Any deal for Peavy would have to include Hunter Pence, and the Astros don't really have the prospects the Padres want.

So to make a deal they'd have to include another high-ceiling major leaguer (such as Wandy Rodriguez) and all their decent prospects like Norris, James, Boguisevic (who's a switched to OF, like Ankiel), Castro, etc. all of which really aren't as good as players the Braves or Dodgers can offer. They could also try a possible three-way deal that's been the Cubs undoing.

I see the Astros going after Oswalt's other buddy instead, Ben Sheets. His price could fit within their budget, especially if the market on him is reduced due to injury concerns, and if Valverde and Wigginton are dealt, as rumored. Also, a Sheets signing wouldn't deplete the Astros already barren minor league system the way a big deal for a starter would.

Considering the source, I really have to wonder if this rumor is a Cub-driven attempt to drive the price down... :wink:

Craig Grebeck
11-23-2008, 10:07 AM
They literally don't have anything that would interest the Padres.

Tragg
11-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Ed Wade gets beaten on a lot - but he's not afraid to make trades.

russ99
11-23-2008, 10:25 AM

Well, I'm not especially pleased as to how that Lidge deal worked out, but other than that, Ed's done a pretty solid job so far. Hopefully Bourn will still pan out as a decent major leaguer.

He's got a much tougher task this year, since the Astros need to add at least 2 starters to compete, while owner McLane has imposed a strict budget.

Since they couldn't get Randy Wolf to re-sign, he'll need to add them by free agency and deals. Also, if he deals Valverde, they'll need a new closer too...

And don't talk to me about an Astros rebuilding, ain't gonna happen. Maybe in 2-3 years when the minor league system is back on it's feet, but I doubt it even then. McLane is a dunderheaded fool at times, but he's always been a competitor.

veeter
11-23-2008, 10:39 AM
I predict Peavy is a Padre come opening day.

Tragg
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, I'm not especially pleased as to how that Lidge deal worked out, but other than that, Ed's done a pretty solid job so far. Hopefully Bourn will still pan out as a decent major leaguer.

He's got a much tougher task this year, since the Astros need to add at least 2 starters to compete, while owner McLane has imposed a strict budget.

Since they couldn't get Randy Wolf to re-sign, he'll need to add them by free agency and deals. Also, if he deals Valverde, they'll need a new closer too...

And don't talk to me about an Astros rebuilding, ain't gonna happen. Maybe in 2-3 years when the minor league system is back on it's feet, but I doubt it even then. McLane is a dunderheaded fool at times, but he's always been a competitor.

At least he didn't give up much for Valerde .
I was suprised they couldn't hang onto Wolf - he pitched great for the Astros. Astros have some rotation issues.
No reason for the Astros to rebuild; and that's what outfits like BP just don't get. It IS better to win 85 games than 72 - that has value in itself; plus once you start, sometimes you never stop "rebuilding" - see Cleveland (1 playoff appearance) or Toronto (zero).

Craig Grebeck
11-23-2008, 11:10 AM
He is beaten on because he's one of the worst GMs in the game.

Tragg
11-23-2008, 11:48 AM
He is beaten on because he's one of the worst GMs in the game.
So sayeth the conventional wisdom.
He also drafted the core of a world championship team.

russ99
11-23-2008, 02:21 PM

That and the Phillies fans/Wade bashers (aren't they one and the same) don't want to give the guy a fresh chance in Houston...

I just don't understand that thinking. If someone has issues with a guy 4-5 years ago with another team, why move that disdain to his new job for a completely different team and situation?

Besides, the Phils won the title. Maybe they should just be happy.

Craig Grebeck
11-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Sometimes conventional wisdom is correct. He's terrible.

palehozenychicty
11-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Sometimes conventional wisdom is correct. He's terrible.

Exactly.

thomas35forever
11-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Sorry if this was posted anywhere, but Lou says the Cubs are done looking at Peavy.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081125&content_id=3692094&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp