PDA

View Full Version : The next Cuban to possibly join the White Sox - Felix Perez

luke4me1st
11-22-2008, 09:15 PM
"Torres said he expects another of his Cuban clients, 20-year-old center fielder Felix Perez, to sign within the next two weeks. A left-handed-hitting center fielder, Perez was lightly regarded when playing for Isla de Juventud in Cuba but impressed scouts with his five-tool potential while working out alongside Viciedo last week. He has eight teams vying for him, Torres said."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-viciedosigns112108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

thomas35forever
11-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Maybe, but I would think KW would like to pursue other areas besides Cuban defectors.

CashMan
11-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Maybe, but I would think KW would like to pursue other areas besides Cuban defectors.

Does it matter, he is getting prospects. Does it matter if they are Cuban or American?

EuroSox35
11-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Interesting. Also, thanks for the link, I was just searching Fox sports wondering if any national outlet had picked up on our signing. I didn't know the contract terms, especially the record setting part (interesting way to look at it). Kind of ironic when you think of all the Boras stuff we hear about

whitesox901
11-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Is Cuba now to be renamed AAA Cuba on here? :redneck

gr8mexico
11-23-2008, 01:52 AM
WHY? Before you said that the Sox don't have money to sign any more Cuban defectors and now you want them to look into other areas to find players. Why? If I'm running a team and I can sign good players for almost nothing why go look other places. Why do you have a problem with the Sox signing Cuban players?

WSox597
11-23-2008, 06:28 AM
I wonder if there are any more Juan Marichals lurking about in Cuba.

That would be nice to see in a Sox uniform. :D:

11-23-2008, 08:21 AM
There is no indication in the article that Felix Perez plans to sign with the White Sox.

russ99
11-23-2008, 10:34 AM
There is no indication in the article that Felix Perez plans to sign with the White Sox.

Also, there's the whole collusion factor to worry about as well. If the Sox suddenly sign all the Cuban players represented by a certain agent, the rest of the league will take notice.

I'm a bit surprised that no one said anything after Viciedo's signing, but he did work out for a bunch of teams.

gr8mexico
11-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I wonder if there are any more Juan Marichals lurking about in Cuba.

That would be nice to see in a Sox uniform. :D:
I doubt it because Juan Marichal is from the Dominican.
Lets just hope we can get another Orestes "Minnie" Minoso The Cuban Comet.

white sox bill
11-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Does it matter, he is getting prospects. Does it matter if they are Cuban or American?
Cubans get better cigars!

cards press box
11-23-2008, 12:22 PM

The article didn't mention any teams. If Perez is a top talent, I hope the White Sox are in the mix of teams considering whether to sign him.

Also, there's the whole collusion factor to worry about as well. If the Sox suddenly sign all the Cuban players represented by a certain agent, the rest of the league will take notice.

I'm a bit surprised that no one said anything after Viciedo's signing, but he did work out for a bunch of teams.

I don't think that there is a collusion issue to worry about. Why shouldn't Cuban ballplayers want to come to a team where Cubans have excelled and where they expect to feel comfortable? That's not evidence of collusion on the part of the Sox and Torres. That's the ballplayer going to play in a setting that he expects to be favorbale.

DumpJerry
11-23-2008, 12:22 PM

How is that collusion? Unless the other owners have an "agreement" with the White Sox to not compete for any Cuban defectors, there is no collusion. Just because the Sox might have a good relationship with Torres is not evidence of collusion. So far, all three Torres Cuban clients are connected to each other through Ramirez (Alexei played with Contreras and Dayan in Cuba). Contreras told Kenny last year to go after Alexei. Alexei this year told Kenny to do the same with Dayan.

If you're running a company and one of your better employees vouches for his buddy for a vacant position, wouldn't you take a look at the person?

white sox bill
11-23-2008, 12:40 PM
No collusion here, or from any sides. Example of collusion would be the owners meeting secretly and deciding that NO team can pay over such and such amount for a specific player for such and such time of service.

PalehosePlanet
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm for signing the kid if we can get him for a split major/minor league deal.

We definitley need to replenish our outfield stock in the minors.

guillensdisciple
11-23-2008, 12:49 PM
This kid seems to be very raw talent at best and I don't believe he has any significant strength in any of the field to create real hype about him. Not all Cuban players are gems and most of the ones that have come over him have been mediocre at best. Contreras and Hernandez have been the most influent in baseball. Yuniesky Betancourt is on the rise, but other then that, there hasn't been great hitting from Cuban prospects in the majors.

luke4me1st
11-23-2008, 01:37 PM

I think if you read between the lines this quote states he will sign with the sox :bandance:

" “There is serious interest,” Torres said, indicating Perez, too, could receive a major-league contract. “Some clubs that originally thought they’d have a shot at him have been surprised.” "

DumpJerry
11-23-2008, 01:58 PM
I think if you read between the lines this quote states he will sign with the sox :bandance:

" “There is serious interest,” Torres said, indicating Perez, too, could receive a major-league contract. “Some clubs that originally thought they’d have a shot at him have been surprised.” "
:bong::beer
One of these two things seemed to have played a factor when you "read between the lines" of that quote to see he will be with the Sox.

DSpivack
11-23-2008, 01:59 PM
This kid seems to be very raw talent at best and I don't believe he has any significant strength in any of the field to create real hype about him. Not all Cuban players are gems and most of the ones that have come over him have been mediocre at best. Contreras and Hernandez have been the most influent in baseball. Yuniesky Betancourt is on the rise, but other then that, there hasn't been great hitting from Cuban prospects in the majors.

A team from Chicago has a pretty good 2B/SS, too!

guillensdisciple
11-23-2008, 02:39 PM
A team from Chicago has a pretty good 2B/SS, too!

I kinda though that was a given, but you are right, that Cuban guy that plays for the Sox isn't too bad.

rustysurf83
11-23-2008, 05:22 PM

I read that quote as the exact opposite. Maybe KW was willing to take a flyer on another Cuban for a small price, but the price just isn't worth it. Our farm system does need additional talent, but I think heads will begin to roll if the Sox start signing every available Cuban.

chunk
11-23-2008, 05:29 PM
It would be an interesting signing but it wouldn't be all that exciting. Wouldn't be upset if we missed out on him.