PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any family members or friends

Rockabilly
11-22-2008, 02:21 PM
that has played or part of mgmt in the MLB..

My dad cousin is Frank Tanana and I have a very good friend that is in upper mgmt with the D' Backs...

whitesox901
11-22-2008, 02:51 PM
My dad's cousin was scouted by the Royals when he was in High School. My friend Chris and his family is friends with some one on the 84' Tigers

btrain929
11-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Not in the majors yet, but I played ball with a pitcher in the Yanks organization and a 1B in the Astros organization.

StillMissOzzie
11-22-2008, 03:27 PM
My nephew is a solid prospect with the Red Sox, and he got his first MLB victory vs. the White Sox this past year.

SMO
:bandance::gulp:

HomeFish
11-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I once had the following conversation with a guy on the Green Line, circa 2003.

GUY: Hey, are you a Sox fan?
ME: Yes.
GUY: Do you know the guy who plays third base for the Detroit Tigers?
ME: (named the Detroit starting 3b, forgot who it was back then)
GUY: No, no, the other guy.
ME: Ah, their backup player.
GUY: Yeah. My brother is that guy's agent!

This is the closest I have to MLB connections.

TheOldRoman
11-22-2008, 04:08 PM
A friend of my (future) brother in law was drafted out of high school this May. He signed and is currently in the Royals organization. Really nice kid. I am rooting hard for him. That way I can say I know someone famous.:smile:

I want Mags back
11-22-2008, 04:15 PM
my uncle has Jim Palmer as a client. I've met him a few times in the past

Vestigio
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM
My old neighbor's nephew was Tim Bogar. He played for the Mets, and IIRC he currently coaches a minor league team for the Mets organization

Stormin' Norm
11-22-2008, 06:04 PM
My wife is good friends with the wife of Ryan Feierabend who pitches for the Seattle Mariners organization. His wife was our maid of honor, and my wife was a brides maid in their wedding.

I've hung out with him about a half dozen times. He's very cool and down to earth. We plan on visiting them in AZ for few days during the spring before the season starts. I've also met Adam Jones, OF for the Orioles through Ryan before he was traded from Seattle.

DumpJerry
11-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Thome is my homie.

DSpivack
11-22-2008, 07:58 PM

Yep, I'd say I'm pretty similar.

Although I am friends with Ross Baumgarten's nephew. :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
11-22-2008, 08:17 PM
A friend of mine's mom and daughter are big baseball fans (it skips a generation, I guess). One day, she asked what Ozzie's position was with the team. I explained that he is the field manager. She then asked who was Kenny Williams. I explained what his role was with the team. She then said that Kenny had been living next door to her sister for the past four years and just recently (at the time this conversation took place) sold the house and moved.

I cried. Between my sobs I asked her why it took her so long to tell me this.

manders_01
11-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I think Ross Gload's brother-in-law post here.

DSpivack
11-22-2008, 08:42 PM
A friend of mine's mom and daughter are big baseball fans (it skips a generation, I guess). One day, she asked what Ozzie's position was with the team. I explained that he is the field manager. She then asked who was Kenny Williams. I explained what his role was with the team. She then said that Kenny had been living next door to her sister for the past four years and just recently (at the time this conversation took place) sold the house and moved.

I cried. Between my sobs I asked her why it took her so long to tell me this.

Friend of mine was working at Wildfire in Atlanta when the Sox visited the Braves [spring 2007?]. Who else but KW walks in, he noticed him [and his ring], said KW couldn't be nicer.

hi im skot
11-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Carlos Quentin donated a kidney to me.

Nice dude.

DumpJerry
11-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Carlos Quentin donated a kidney to me.

Nice dude.
:scratch:
You're the third person to make that claim.

Bucky F. Dent
11-22-2008, 09:06 PM
I've met Dyar Miller a couple of times. He's the friend of a friend of mine.

He's currently on the scouting staff for the St. Louis Cardinals.

SoxNation05
11-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I think Ross Gload's brother-in-law post here.

That'd be me.

doublem23
11-22-2008, 11:18 PM
I was at the 2005 parade... :dunno:

That's all I got.

voodoochile
11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
That'd be me.

WOOHOO! I've banned Ross Gload's brother-in-law before... :D:

Just messing with you SN05...:wink:

ChiSoxGirl
11-23-2008, 12:21 AM

Eric Munson?

kruzer31
11-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I hit a home run off Daren Dreifort of Wichita St. when I played at Northeastern IL, oh no, it was a foul tip strike three. sorry

Nellie_Fox
11-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I used to play vacant lot baseball with Gary Jestadt (http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jestaga01.shtml). He was a lot better than I was.

soltrain21
11-23-2008, 01:22 AM
My brother was childhood friends with Adam Shabala (got his cup of coffee in 2006).

I was on the same team with Clay Zavada (single A relief pitcher of the year) for three years in grade school. He was our catcher. I played second base. We got fourth in state one year.

guillen4life13
11-23-2008, 02:21 AM
My roommate from freshman year (and still friend) is Venezuelan and is family friends with Ozzie's family (more with his wife, Ibis), and also good friends with Miguel Cabrera's family (again, more the wife since Ozzie and Miggy are generally not in Miami). Something about my friend's father knowing Ozzie from Venezuela and, IIRC, actually hooking Ozzie up with the wedding ring he gave to his wife when he was much younger. But I'm not entirely sure about that part.

That's about it. I suppose I met Brian Barton, who is a CF for the Cards. He used to go to UMiami as an Aerospace engineer and I used to be the guy keeping an eye on the labs all the time, so I met him since he was wearing some Jndians gear and I had to talk baseball with him. At that point he was still an Jndians farmhand.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-23-2008, 04:38 AM
My co-worker is first cousins with that O'Malley (was it O'Malley?) kid that pitched one game for the Cubs 2 years ago.

I must admit, it was pretty cool. We all were working and watching the game together. My friend was telling me about how he was on the phone with the guy all night and how nervous he and the whole family were.

The kid ended up winning the game and may have even thrown a complete game?

EDIT: Just looked it up. His name is Ryan O'Malley and he threw 8 innings of shut out ball in Houston. Some of his family flew to Houston to see him. I remember him hugging his parents after the game and my friend saying "those are my aunt and uncle!"

Tragg
11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
My sometime--barber's daughter is Jim Hendry's concubine.

soxfan21
11-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Thought I was related to Leo mazzone actually met him once and talked to him but found out that we probably are not related. He did however give me an autographs baseball and wrote on it that we might be related.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Jason Repko is the nephew of one my best friends. He is the Dodgers version of Brian Anderson.

southside rocks
11-23-2008, 12:10 PM

What's your point? :D:

PalehosePlanet
11-23-2008, 12:14 PM
I hit a home run off Daren Dreifort of Wichita St. when I played at Northeastern IL, oh no, it was a foul tip strike three. sorry

It would sound better if you said that you lined out to the catcher.

whitesoxwilkes
11-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I work with a guy (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/David-Gresky.shtml) who played in the Cubs organization for a couple years after they drafted him out of Northwestern.

He's a huge Indians fan.

DumpJerry
11-23-2008, 02:08 PM
What's your point? :D:
How many kidneys can you donate?

JermaineDye05
11-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm facebook friends with John Danks. Legit? :dunno:

soxinem1
11-23-2008, 02:57 PM
A few:

I had a buddy who worked in the White Sox front office for many years from Hemond through Scheuler. Always gave me the tips on trades all around MLB and some of the not-to-publicized events of players lives they didn't want the world to know.

I have another pal who worked for COL a number of years.

One of my friends was a teammate of Ron Mayhay at SSJC years ago.

And finally, my nephew went to pre-school with one of Ray Durham's kids until he was traded in 2002.

pearso66
11-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Quentin still has 3 left, what's your point?

On a more serious note, I don't know any personally, but one of our friends niece is married to the Reds team doctor, and one of my other friends knows a girl who dated Andy Sonnenstein (sp?). I want to say I know one somewhere, but I don't think so. When I was in High School a scout for the Reds was at a game watching our catcher, but that didn't go anywhere.

HawkDJ
11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I have family members and friends.

eriqjaffe
11-23-2008, 04:04 PM
When I was a kid, my neighbor's grandson was drafted by the Royals. Back when the Royals were good.

twentywontowin
11-23-2008, 04:25 PM
I know where Mark Buehrle lives.

No, I won't tell you where.

MrT27
11-23-2008, 05:19 PM
The closest thing I have is my Dad used to play in a golf league with a scout from the Royals

rustysurf83
11-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I hit a single (yeah that's right infield style) off of Phillies pitcher JA Happ. Everyone else I played with/against turned out to be busts.

MisterB
11-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I went to High School with Micah Franklin (http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/frankmi01.shtml), who had a cup of coffee in the Majors but was otherwise a minor league journeyman (he was in the Sox system a few years ago.)

One of the faculty at the college I work for is the uncle of Chris Carter (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/cartech01.shtml), who made his debut with the Red Sox this year. Also, one of the school's former academic counselors is the mother of Ryan Drese (http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dresery01.shtml).

Huisj
11-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I think my dad played in Little League with Mark Mulder's dad in South Holland. And I think Roger Bossard grew up in their neighborhood too.

Oblong
11-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Derek Lowe grew up in the same neighborhood I live in. The HS field he played on, now bearing his name, is literally 4 blocks from my house. I played against him 4 years in a row.

A good friend of mine has a good friend who is Jason Varitek's cousin. They've gone on road trips to Chicago when he played there and he'd take them out on the town.

I've run into Steve Avery in softball leagues and at church festivals. He was crushing the ball.

The guy who ran our baseball league's wife was tiger GM Bill Lajoie's secretary. He always scored good prizes because of that. A few times a year he'd hook us up with seats where the scouts sat. I'd watch them work.

WhiteSox1989
11-23-2008, 06:38 PM
I know a chick who works at one of the ticket windows at the cell..yea...I know...awesome.

MISoxfan
11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
My grandpa played minor league ball, but I never met him.

I'm also a couple degrees of separation from Iguchi's old translator, but I never met him either.

whitesoxwilkes
11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
I hit a single (yeah that's right infield style) off of Phillies pitcher JA Happ. Everyone else I played with/against turned out to be busts.

Happ is good buddies with my co-worker mentioned above.

october23sp
11-23-2008, 07:47 PM
My great grandpa batted against Satchel Paige. My friend has Hank Aarons tying Babe Ruth Bat.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-23-2008, 10:10 PM
My cousin is currently a Client Services Executive for the Sox

michned
11-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Two brushes with greatness:

I went to high school with Tony Muser's cousin.

I used to work with JD Durbin's father (Durbin was a Twins prospect who hurt his shoulder. He was part of the patchwork Phillies rotation in '07 and really helped them, but was back in AAA and then AA in '08).

Konerko05
11-24-2008, 12:23 AM
My Uncle, who passed away about 15 years ago, used to be good friends with Ozzie Guillen. They lived right near each other in Cicero and would smoke cigars together.

I'll always remember attending one Sox game when Ozzie got yelled at by Torberg for talking to my Uncle in the stands while on deck.

IlliniSox4Life
11-24-2008, 04:52 AM
A coworker of mine claims his sister is/was dating Brian Anderson. I told him if she thinks that she probably doesn't know Brian Anderson very well....

Thome25
11-24-2008, 08:09 AM
My uncle by marriage is Al Hargesheimer. He pitched 4 years in the big leagues for the Giants, Royals, and Cubs. He also worked as a scout for a couple of different teams and also worked in the front office of the Detroit Tigers in 2006. My dad back in Chicago says he has an AL Champions ring from the Tigers in '06. Not sure if it's true or not because I don't know if they give out rings for league championships or not.

Here's a link to his bio:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hargeal01.shtml

Oblong
11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
My uncle by marriage is Al Hargesheimer. He pitched 4 years in the big leagues for the Giants, Royals, and Cubs. He also worked as a scout for a couple of different teams and also worked in the front office of the Detroit Tigers in 2006. My dad back in Chicago says he has an AL Champions ring from the Tigers in '06. Not sure if it's true or not because I don't know if they give out rings for league championships or not.

Here's a link to his bio:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hargeal01.shtml

Yes they do.

soxfanatlanta
11-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I lived next door to Mike Grace for two years when we went to Bradley; he was a great guy who was plagued by arm problems all his life. But somehow, he made it to the biggs with Philly.

I remember them announcing his name when they introduced the whole team on opening day in Atlanta. I was screaming my head off when they called his name - could not happen to a nicer guy.

MeteorsSox4367
11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
1. My mother went to Kelly HS with Ray Jablonski who played third for the Cardinals, Reds, Giants and A's. Jabbo was also third in the NL's Rookie of the Year voting in '53 (thank you, baseballreference.com). My mother also is a childhood friend of Jablonski's wife and was one of her bridesmaids.

Jablonski used to attend old-timers' games in St. Louis and would bring me back some Cardinals postcards. He also signed a ball for me. Their family always treated me well and he enjoyed the fact that I was such a baseball geek.

2. The brother-in-law of Larry Gura, who pitched for the Royals, worked with my Dad. When I was about 11 or 12 when the Royals were good, I met Gura before a game at Comiskey and he took me on the field and into the tunnel by the visitors' dugout. I was able to meet Al Hrabosky, who signed an autograph for me. Gura also got me a ball signed by George Brett.

3. Brian Bogusevic, who was Houston's No. 1 pick in '05, attended the high school at which I work. Bogusevic was recently added to Houston's 40-man roster.

seventyseven
11-24-2008, 01:19 PM
When I lived in STL during law school, Edgar Renteria and Luther Hackman lived on my hallway in my apartment building. Renteria cooked very fragrant foods, had a lot of exotic women in/out of his apartment, and played loud music. Luther Hackman didn't say much.

At the same time, Fernando Vina lived downstairs from me. He drove a hideous orange hummer. Significantly uglier women came to see Vina as compared to Renteria.

Eduardo Perez also lived in my building. Eduardo's brother, Vincent, hooked my wife and I up with an apartment in one of the Trump place buildings in NYC after law school.

Vestigio
11-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I also forgot to mention that I went to the same school as everybody's favorite draft pick Oney Gullien, at North Park University. I would see him around the campus every now and then...

Moses_Scurry
11-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Old girlfriend of mine was friends with some girl who was dating Alan Embree. This was during the season that Embree was acquired by the Sox from the Giants. I went out to some bar with my ex and this girl, who was dating Embree but knew nothing about baseball, once, and here was one of her quotes.

"Alan was upset about losing, so he went out to the club with his new friend, the first baseman. Some guy named 'Paul'..."

I wanted to bang my head against the table. This was after Konerko broke out, so everybody SHOULD have known who he was!!

Scottiehaswheels
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I struck out both Mackowiak and Larry Bigbie in high school. That's about all I have.

DumpJerry
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
I struck out both Mackowiak and Larry Bigbie in high school. That's about all I have.
:KW
We need to have a sit-down.

Jerome
11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I play in a poker game every month with Otis, KW, Satchel Paige and Billy Beane.

WS in 05
11-24-2008, 05:31 PM
I have a friend who was drafted by the Sox in the late rounds of this years draft. He's always played shortstop so I don't see him getting much playing time anytime in this century.

ChiWavDave
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
I got a couple...

I went to High School with Ron Guidrys neice. She was good looking. And my brother played golf a couple of times in Hilton Head with a former outfielder for the sox #45 I think... If I recall correctly he played a little basketball in town here at some point in the 90's.

michned
11-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I play in a poker game every month with Otis, KW, Satchel Paige and Billy Beane.

We have a winner!

:rolling: :thumbsup:

Jerome
11-24-2008, 10:48 PM
We have a winner!

:rolling: :thumbsup:

Wow that's weird, I didn't read the whole thread and didn't even see the Satchel Paige reference on the last page. To the guy who has the real Satchel Paige story, that's really cool.

MiamiSpartan
11-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Growing up in Wheaton, we were family friends with Milt Pappas who lived down the street from us....

North Sox Sider
11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I got a bat from Jerry Hairston and Bart Johnson in two separate times. Also, was on the same little league team as Jim Rushford who played a short time with the Brewers, a very short time.

Also, I Just found out that a family friend of mine went out with Drew Brees at Purdue.

NLaloosh
11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I've been to U.S. Cellular Field.

Scottiehaswheels
11-25-2008, 10:13 AM
:KW
We need to have a sit-down.
Really? Anymore I'm not sure it's all that impressive. :tongue:

AZChiSoxFan
11-25-2008, 11:30 AM
One time I went down to the airport here in Phx and snuck up behind KW and overheard him discussing trades on his cell phone, in the baggage claim area.

johnr1note
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I was a freshman in the same high school that Steve Trout attended, he was a senior that year. I never met him or talked to him.

My grandfather's cousin was a big league pitcher. Here are his stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/colliph01.shtml

Phil Collins was his name. Pitched one game for the Cubs, spent most of his career pitching well for a lot of incredibly bad Phillies teams. Once walked Mel Ott with the bases loaded to prevent him from hitting a home run so teammate Chuck Klein could win the HR title.

NLaloosh
11-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I had a college roommate back in 1980 and about 5-10 years after that he told me that he was playing some kind of semi-pro ball and he faced Jerry Reuss, who had long since retired, and he said that he got a single off of him.

I don't know if it's true because we were smoking a lot bongs at the time. But, it might be.

october23sp
11-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow that's weird, I didn't read the whole thread and didn't even see the Satchel Paige reference on the last page. To the guy who has the real Satchel Paige story, that's really cool.

Yeah Paige played on the same field I play high school games on. He played on the Bismarck team when my great grandpa was on the Dickinson team. I believe it was one of the first mixed race semi pro teams.

moochpuppy
11-25-2008, 09:37 PM
My Grandfather had tryouts for both the Cubs and Pirates after WWII. He was invited to join the Cubs system but decided he had already been away from his family for too long (stationed in Pearl Harbor in 1942).

chisoxfanatic
11-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I stroked my fingers through Neal Cotts' hair back when we both went to ISU. :D:

One of my friends was a teammate of Ron Mayhay at SSJC years ago.
I recently worked with Ron Mayhay's uncle for four years.

14konerko
11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I coached Adam Shabala who was up briefly with the Giants and eventually signed with the White Sox in little league. He ended up in Birmingham but retired last season I think.

soltrain21
11-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I coached Adam Shabala who was up briefly with the Giants and eventually signed with the White Sox in little league. He ended up in Birmingham but retired last season I think.

My brother was Adam's friend. And we are both from Streator. Hell, you probably coached my brother Troy at one point.

MHOUSE
11-26-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm friends with Max Scherzer's younger brother and an ex girlfriend's sister used to date a Twins minor leaguer.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-26-2008, 02:27 AM
One of my dad's friends was drafted by the Yankees but was going to play for the Orioles. He was going to be a pitcher but hurt his arm playing football. :(: Never got his chance.

Same thing happened to another one of my dad's friends but it was for the Olympic soccer team. :rolleyes:

All in all my dad's friends had their chances and it all got thrown down the drain by a few accidents, which stinks.

DumpJerry
11-26-2008, 07:01 AM
A friend of mine has a buddy who pitched in the Yankees' system. He is now a Yankee scout. He is the scout who found Joba.

In 6th grade, my friends and I Trick or Treated Pat Kelly's apartment (he lived down the hall from one of my friends).

My friend's 12 year old daughter is good friends with Joe Girardi's niece.

Frontman
11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Jerry Manuel used to live on one of the routes I deliver.

Ed Farmer came into my post office and let me hold his WS ring.

But I wouldn't consider either of them friends per se. :wink:

IrishSox25
12-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I play baseball at Aquinas College, home of Paul Assenmacher.

The Milkman
12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm a friend of Chris Getz's brother.

SoxNation05
12-05-2008, 05:22 PM
I think I am in the lead with Ross Gload's brother in law. Anyone up for bringing him back?

Frontman
12-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Actually, my Uncle played minor league ball for the Cubs back in the 50's/60's.

WinningUgly!
12-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Guy Hoffman went to my high school & was friends with my older cousin.
Also, I played against Scott Spezio in Little League.

Rockin Robin
12-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I am Terry Bevington.

BigP50
12-07-2008, 03:15 PM
one of my dad's best friends had minor league offers from the Pirates, and Reds

BigP50
12-07-2008, 03:16 PM
also my grandma's dad could have been a pitcher for the Cubs in the 20's but it turned it down

and he was also good friends with Babe Ruth

sox1970
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
also my grandma's dad could have been a pitcher for the Cubs in the 20's but it turned it down

and he was also good friends with Babe Ruth

You buried the lead.

ilsox7
12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Ron Kittle was my hitting coach growing up. I also played with a bunch of guys who played professionally and have caught a major leaguer or two.

NLaloosh
12-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Okay, this is absolutely true. But, it's really weak and I wasn't going to mention it. It is funny though.

My wife grew up in Fargo,North Dakota. Her first kiss/boyfriend whatever was Chris Coste.

He came up as a 33 y.o. rookie catcher with the Phillies about 3 years ago and has been their backup since. We were hoping to watch him in the World Series but they didn't play him at all in the playoffs.

The guy can hit though. I've been hoping the Sox would get him the last couple of years as a RH catcher/DH. He's supposed to be a real nice guy - wrote a children's book.

It's hard not to be humble when you're from Fargo.

esbrechtel
12-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Sal Fasano is one of my good friends cousin. He let me hold his WS ring from when he was with the Angels...It was pretty sweet...and his mustache is also really sweet...

october23sp
12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Okay, this is absolutely true. But, it's really weak and I wasn't going to mention it. It is funny though.

My wife grew up in Fargo,North Dakota. Her first kiss/boyfriend whatever was Chris Coste.

He came up as a 33 y.o. rookie catcher with the Phillies about 3 years ago and has been their backup since. We were hoping to watch him in the World Series but they didn't play him at all in the playoffs.

The guy can hit though. I've been hoping the Sox would get him the last couple of years as a RH catcher/DH. He's supposed to be a real nice guy - wrote a children's book.

It's hard not to be humble when you're from Fargo.

Fargo people are quite stuck up actually.:scratch:

NLaloosh
12-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Fargo people are quite stuck up actually.:scratch:

That's funny. I'll pass that one on to my wife.

Actually, I've been there a few times and I didn't see it. Ofcourse, I didn't see much trying to shuffle to my car before my nose hairs froze up.

Bucky F. Dent
12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Sal Fasano is one of my good friends cousin. He let me hold his WS ring from when he was with the Angels...It was pretty sweet...and his mustache is also really sweet...

Did he let you hold his mustache, too?:D: