PDA

View Full Version : If Texiera signs with Boston...

tm1119
11-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Should we make an attempt at Lowell? Im still not sold on our 3B position, even with the recent signing of Viciedo. Despite his age I think Lowell is still a very good player that could help this team with his bat and his glove in the field. Hes got a big contract so the deal would almost certainly have to involve Javy. Maybe Lowell + a prospect for Javy? And just to add in that Lowel's contract is up after this upcoming year so we would get a solid player to make a run this year and some more money next year to go along with Thome's contract being up.

oeo
11-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Pass.

PalehosePlanet
11-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Should we make an attempt at Lowell? Im still not sold on our 3B position, even with the recent signing of Viciedo. Despite his age I think Lowell is still a very good player that could help this team with his bat and his glove in the field. Hes got a big contract so the deal would almost certainly have to involve Javy. Maybe Lowell + a prospect for Javy? And just to add in that Lowel's contract is up after this upcoming year so we would get a solid player to make a run this year and some more money next year to go along with Thome's contract being up.

Actually he's due 12 million in both '09 and '10. We'd be on the hook for 24 mil for a 35 year old (before next season) who is coming off hip surgery.

What if he's slow to heal, or if this becomes a lingering injury? It's too risky, I think.

SoxNation05
11-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Not what we need. Pass.

LoveYourSuit
11-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Yikes, are we serious on this one?

Old, expensive, and slow.

Well, I guess he does fit the mold.

gr8mexico
11-22-2008, 12:13 AM
If Mark Teixeira does sign with Boston should the Sox still consider trading Paul Konerko do the Angels? I say yes and maybe look to sign Adam Dunn he could play 1B in 2009 and take over the DH spot when Jim Thome is let go. The Sox are going to need the Left handed bat in 2010.

johnnyg83
11-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Dunn and Lowell fit the 2008 white sox mold ... I hope they don't fit the 2009.

StillMissOzzie
11-22-2008, 01:41 AM

And on the mend as well. Perfect!

No, thanks.

SMO
:rolleyes::gulp:

white sox bill
11-22-2008, 07:49 AM

That summed it up---Lowell and Paulie even look like brothers

soxfanreggie
11-22-2008, 10:38 AM
We need to get younger and/or faster. This would be adding someone that would be counter to that philosophy.

rustysurf83
11-23-2008, 04:20 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicago_white_sox/index.html
The perpetual rumor dump mlbtraderumors.com is reporting the Sox as a possible destination for Mike Lowell if the BoSox sign Texeira. Seems pretty far fetched, but any opinions? Lowell could be a nice addition to give Viciedo a couple of years to prove himself in the minors or transition to a 1B or corner OF type.

Tragg
11-23-2008, 04:23 PM
No
Wrong direction.
I suspect the author is speculating on who might need a 3b, not on a team that has actually shown interest.
How does signing a 1B free up a 3b?

chunk
11-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Because they would have Lowell, Youk, Ortiz, and Teix for 3 positions (1b, 3b, DH). Lowell would be the odd man out, as Youk would move to 3b.

He only has 2 years left but who knows what that hip injury will mean for his future production.

gr8mexico
11-23-2008, 04:28 PM
The perpetual rumor dump mlbtraderumors.com is reporting the Sox as a possible destination for Mike Lowell if the BoSox sign Texeira. Seems pretty far fetched, but any opinions? Lowell could be a nice addition to give Viciedo a couple of years to prove himself in the minors or transition to a 1B or corner OF type.
OLD NEWS!! Lets stop it with the Lowell rumor. He Sucks and over priced

chunk
11-23-2008, 04:30 PM
His injury would most likely require Boston to eat a large portion of his contract, especially if they do manage to sign Teix. Their hand would be forced.

rustysurf83
11-23-2008, 04:32 PM
No
Wrong direction.
I suspect the author is speculating on who might need a 3b, not on a team that has actually shown interest.

Teix played 3b at Georgia Tech, he may be too bulky to go back, not sure.

manders_01
11-23-2008, 04:44 PM

:offtopic: OMG - your daughter - or whoever the baby in your sig is - is ADORABLE!!!

rustysurf83
11-23-2008, 04:47 PM
:offtopic: OMG - your daughter - or whoever the baby in your sig is - is ADORABLE!!!

That's my four month old daughter. I believe that was the day of the play-in game against the twins. Too bad she couldn't bring us that kind of luck against the Rays.:whiner:

LITTLE NELL
11-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Another old slow guy, no, please.

cbrownson13
11-23-2008, 05:09 PM
No
Wrong direction.

Youkilis would move to 3B which is the position he came up playing and played 36 games at last year when Lowell missed time.

By the way, no on Lowell. Too injury prone. Too slow. Exactly what this team already has and doesn't need. He's good when he plays but he's getting to the age and with his injuries that his main asset, his defense, is going to start declining.

veeter
11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Lowell is a very, very good player. But he's expensive and slow. And that's just not something I see Kenny doing. I've always been a big fan of his though.

soxrepublican
11-23-2008, 07:22 PM
No dont sign him, sign Texiera.

btrain929
11-23-2008, 07:55 PM
??????

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107785

turners56
11-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't object. Good glove and a good bat. He's probably better than Crede.

btrain929
11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I have a feeling that KW is serious about having both Fields and Getz starting on opening day '09. Time to put up or shut up (mainly for Fields, not so much for Getz)...

Tragg
11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Time to put up or shut up (mainly for Fields, not so much for Getz)...
Maybe so but he played, what 2 months in 07 and was injured all last year.

ChiSoxFan81
11-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Lowell is too young for KW to be interested.

Eddo144
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Dunn and Lowell fit the 2008 white sox mold ... I hope they don't fit the 2009.
You mean the 2008 division-winning mold?

Seriously, though, no on Lowell. He's too injury-prone, and we've all seen what it's like to have one of those kind of guys at third base the last few years.

areilly
11-24-2008, 12:13 PM
You mean the 2008 division-winning mold?

Taking the Central was great, but I doubt anyone would seriously pin their long-term hopes on another squad like that.

To put it another way, there's a reason they were of the "division-winning mold" and not the "pennant-winning" or "World Series-winning" mold.

LoveYourSuit
11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Taking the Central was great, but I doubt anyone would seriously pin their long-term hopes on another squad like that.

To put it another way, there's a reason they were of the "division-winning mold" and not the "pennant-winning" or "World Series-winning" mold.

It was a bad AL Central. With a more balanced team, it would have not taken the 163rd game to win that division.

slavko
11-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't object. Good glove and a good bat. He's probably better than Crede.

I'm having an attack of deja vu on this site from 5 years ago.

jabrch
11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
That's my four month old daughter. I believe that was the day of the play-in game against the twins. Too bad she couldn't bring us that kind of luck against the Rays.:whiner:

So it is HER fault....Thanks - I'll stop beating my dog now. :-)

kjhanson
11-24-2008, 03:23 PM

Completely agree on this one. That is one damn good looking - and well dressed - kid.