PDA

View Full Version : How I would change MLB

Gosox1917
11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
After some good ol' fashion arguin' in another thread...I've thought about how I'd change MLB. So let's get right to it.

Eliminate the DH. This obviously can't happen overnight. MLB would have to announce that in the year 2017...the DH will be abolished in the AL. Waiting so long will allow for GM's to plan their teams accordingly for the future. Also, it will allow for the minors to eliminate DH's as well. I hate watching minor league teams of NL teams use a DH.

Make the playoffs a 7-7-7 format. Shorten the season to 154 games to make room for the longer first round.

The wild card team may play a team from it's own division in the first round. If you can give me a reason why the Cubs didn't play the Brewers in the first round or the Rays didn't play Boston in the first round...let me know.

No bidding on foreign players. They will enter a professional draft...or perhaps simply be a part of the amateur draft...still debating on this one. Let me know what you all think.

Any game that is suspended before 15 outs are made will be picked up from where it left off...no wash outs. Several minor leagues have this rule and I think it works great.

The All-Star game will become an exhibition again. Allow the team with the best record in the World Series to host the most games.

Allow for the best umpiring crews to work the playoffs, All-Star game, and other important games in September. If you watched the World Series this year then you saw several of the blunders this years crew made. This is a rule that may actually go into effect next season.

Let me know what you think or if you have any to add or if you wanna delete any. However, please say why...try to refrain from simply saying "THIS RULE SUCKS" Although, if you do you only make yourself look ignorant so whatever.

HomeFish
11-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I would make one change: a run scored due to a fielding error by a pitcher would be scored as an earned run.

The way I see it, the justification for making an error-based run unearned is the fact that you can say "if somebody else had been at that fielding position, that run wouldn't have happened." So its unfair to punish a pitcher for being backed up by Jose Valentin instead of Derek Jeter. But you can't say that for a pitcher.

october23sp
11-21-2008, 09:46 PM
After some good ol' fashion arguin' in another thread...I've thought about how I'd change MLB. So let's get right to it.

Eliminate the DH. This obviously can't happen overnight. MLB would have to announce that in the year 2017...the DH will be abolished in the AL. Waiting so long will allow for GM's to plan their teams accordingly for the future. Also, it will allow for the minors to eliminate DH's as well. I hate watching minor league teams of NL teams use a DH.

Make the playoffs a 7-7-7 format. Shorten the season to 154 games to make room for the longer first round.

The wild card team may play a team from it's own division in the first round. If you can give me a reason why the Cubs didn't play the Brewers in the first round or the Rays didn't play Boston in the first round...let me know.

No bidding on foreign players. They will enter a professional draft...or perhaps simply be a part of the amateur draft...still debating on this one. Let me know what you all think.

Any game that is suspended before 15 outs are made will be picked up from where it left off...no wash outs. Several minor leagues have this rule and I think it works great.

The All-Star game will become an exhibition again. Allow the team with the best record in the World Series to host the most games.

Allow for the best umpiring crews to work the playoffs, All-Star game, and other important games in September. If you watched the World Series this year then you saw several of the blunders this years crew made. This is a rule that may actually go into effect next season.

Let me know what you think or if you have any to add or if you wanna delete any. However, please say why...try to refrain from simply saying "THIS RULE SUCKS" Although, if you do you only make yourself look ignorant so whatever.

I agree with you on the level of some of these but not the DH rule. The rule to keep from bidding on foreign players would be nice but I don't think it will happen. The team with the best record having the World Series is ok but what if a team if from an easy division so they win a lot more games. I like the just alternating it yearly idea. Obviously you want the best umps but its the major leagues there probably isnt much of a span from great to bad umps, they are probably for the most part all good. They will make mistakes but so does everyone, its baseball. As long as it isn't the most glaringly obvious call a 3 year old could make, mistakes are goin to happen.

HomeFish
11-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Because that has already happened 18 times that season. It is tiring to watch the same matchup over and over again. To me, this rule is justified for the sake of variety.

Daver
11-21-2008, 10:02 PM
It's going to be a long offseason.

DSpivack
11-21-2008, 10:08 PM
It's going to be a long offseason.

Isn't it always? [give or take a few weeks]

doublem23
11-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I would make one change: a run scored due to a fielding error by a pitcher would be scored as an earned run.

The way I see it, the justification for making an error-based run unearned is the fact that you can say "if somebody else had been at that fielding position, that run wouldn't have happened." So its unfair to punish a pitcher for being backed up by Jose Valentin instead of Derek Jeter. But you can't say that for a pitcher.

I agree with this.

The biggest problem in MLB, the bottom feeders of the league like Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Minnesota, and even Florida to a degree that seem to be more interested in pocketing money than actually winning would be solved with a system of promotion and relegation. Unfortunately, that's apparently a very anti-American thing to do. But you better believe those teams with miniscule payrolls would be trying their damnest to win games if finishing in the bottom 2-3 of the league meant a trip to AAA with no MLB TV/revenue sharing money.

That would require a total change in the culture of American sports, so I see it as being unrealistic.

The biggest change I would make is to scrap the 2-3-2 format for 7-game series in the LDS and LCS series. They should be 2-2-1-1-1. Maybe in 1940, travel was a big deal, but today players ride in cozy private jets. A team that earned home field advantage over a 162-game season should never have to play fewer games at home than the opposition. The 2-3-2 format is OK for the World Series, though, since there's no good way of determining which team is better because of the usual unbalance that exists in the leagues. To be honest, the All-Star Game has gotten a lot better over the last few years since it started to "count," so I don't mind the World Series tie-in. But I won't be heartbroken if they take it away, either.

Nellie_Fox
11-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Eliminate the DH. This obviously can't happen overnight. MLB would have to announce that in the year 2017.Not only can it not happen overnight, it can't happen without the agreement of the Players' Association, which isn't going to happen. No way they agree to eliminate what are very highly-paid positions.

Arguing for the elimination of the DH is like arguing that it would be good for frogs to have wings. No matter how good your argument is, it ain't happenin'.

FedEx227
11-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Exactly. It's a point of no return. How would you work that out. By 2017, okay. So does that mean DH's can be signed until that point then what? So if Travis Hafner goes on the free agent market in 2016, he can only get a one-year deal? Or he gets the 3-year deal but knows he has to play a position in those past two years.

You can't get rid of it at this point. It'll never happen as Nellie said I have a feeling the Players Association would be pretty upset you were eliminating an extremely high-paid position.

johnnyg83
11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
I have a few aesthetic suggestions:

-No pinstripes on road uniforms ... Minnesota and Colorado.

-city name on away uniforms, logo or nickname on home.

-No necklaces.

- no logos cut into grass

- no caps to the side

- black spikes for all

Luis11
11-22-2008, 01:22 AM
First thing I would do is have a Salary cap in baseball. I'd like to see Brian Cashman and Jim Hendry manage a salary cap of $100 Million per year.
You sign Fukadome, Marquis, and Soriano to long term deals that are essentially busts....you're stuck....that's your problem.
As it stands now, the Yankees are probably still paying Kevin Brown and Carl Pavano and still make a bid for CC Sabathia.....what a joke?

Second...I would go back to a balanced schedule. The Sox and Cubs playing KC and Pittsburgh 18 times a year is a laugh.

Third ....I would go the players association and tell them we're eliminating the DH...if you don't approve...OK....AL teams have an option to use the DH in Interleague play, All-Star game, World Series etc. If the NL wants their pitcher to bat...go ahead.

WhiteSox5187
11-22-2008, 01:25 AM

-No necklaces.

- no caps to the side

- black spikes for all
Added to this list must be this: stirrups are mandatory.

StillMissOzzie
11-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Not only can it not happen overnight, it can't happen without the agreement of the Players' Association, which isn't going to happen. No way they agree to eliminate what are very highly-paid positions.

Arguing for the elimination of the DH is like arguing that it would be good for frogs to have wings. No matter how good your argument is, it ain't happenin'.

If the MLBPA is so powerful, why hasn't the DH been foisted upon the NL?
I don't mean that to come off as smart-ass, I really do want to know. I believe every minor league team affilated with the NL play with a DH.

SMO
:scratch::?:

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-22-2008, 01:46 AM
I want a stat for inherited runners that score to affect BP pitchers ERA.

Jerome
11-22-2008, 03:39 AM
I would just like to see a salary floor of some kind. With revenue sharing, owners should have to spend a certain minimum percentage of total revenues every year on the payroll. I have a feeling that would make things more competitive. That would at the very least mean more mid-market teams making splashes in the FA market or keeping their own FAs.

Bucky F. Dent
11-22-2008, 09:33 AM

-No necklaces.

- no caps to the side

- black spikes for all

While we are on aesthetics, pull up those pant legs!

october23sp
11-22-2008, 11:51 AM
While we are on aesthetics, pull up those pant legs!

Stirrups for everyone

jcw218
11-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I would just like to see a salary floor of some kind. With revenue sharing, owners should have to spend a certain minimum percentage of total revenues every year on the payroll. I have a feeling that would make things more competitive. That would at the very least mean more mid-market teams making splashes in the FA market or keeping their own FAs.

While I understand what you're saying, wouldn't a salary floor just increase salaries for mediocre players?

russ99
11-22-2008, 12:50 PM
First thing I would do is have a Salary cap in baseball. I'd like to see Brian Cashman and Jim Hendry manage a salary cap of $100 Million per year.
You sign Fukadome, Marquis, and Soriano to long term deals that are essentially busts....you're stuck....that's your problem.
As it stands now, the Yankees are probably still paying Kevin Brown and Carl Pavano and still make a bid for CC Sabathia.....what a joke?

Second...I would go back to a balanced schedule. The Sox and Cubs playing KC and Pittsburgh 18 times a year is a laugh.

Third ....I would go the players association and tell them we're eliminating the DH...if you don't approve...OK....AL teams have an option to use the DH in Interleague play, All-Star game, World Series etc. If the NL wants their pitcher to bat...go ahead.

That's pretty good, but I like the split DH. It gives each league a different flavor, which makes things more interesting.

Here's mine:

Mandatory PES and drug testing for all players, with real punishment for offenders (like for track and soccer players in Europe) to set an example for the young guys (HS, College, Minors) who are tempted to cheat. We need a clean game again, and anyone who thinks it's clean now needs to wake up.

Salary Cap (something like the NHL has where it can shrink and grow depending on league revenues) but also a Salary Floor (also like the NHL) so the pocketing of cash by small-market owners ends, which would encourage ownership change in those markets to owners who are more willing to spend - just like we're seeing in places like Columbus and Edmonton in the NHL. The Floor in the NHL isn't increasing salaries to the lesser players, teams are signing and trading for players to get over the floor. The reason salaries for younger players are going up in the NHL is the threat of the offer sheet, not the floor. MLB's free agency system alleviates that.

You can make the Cap big enough to add a little more than the big market teams spend now, so the players won't see a drastic change to the way it is now, but we won't see the exponential salary growth anymore as in the last 10-20 years.

A balanced schedule isn't good enough. Also, fire the computer-generated schedule firm and bring back the people who used to do it by hand. They know the intracacies of the schedule and it will go back to it's former solid and reasonable schedule, unlike the bizarre schedule issues we've had the last 3-4 years since the computer people took over.

Lastly, the All Star game should start (first pitch, not introductions) at 6PM local time (5pm west coast), and 2 of the first 4 World Series games should at least be started in the daytime. Not enough kids can watch the signature games of the sport because the games end so late. Since I was a kid in the late 70s I remember a lot of great baseball, which kids today are missing out on.

Gosox1917
11-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Exactly. It's a point of no return. How would you work that out. By 2017, okay. So does that mean DH's can be signed until that point then what? So if Travis Hafner goes on the free agent market in 2016, he can only get a one-year deal? Or he gets the 3-year deal but knows he has to play a position in those past two years.

You can't get rid of it at this point. It'll never happen as Nellie said I have a feeling the Players Association would be pretty upset you were eliminating an extremely high-paid position.

You and Nellie make a great point...but a girl can dream...

soxrepublican
11-22-2008, 03:34 PM
First- Make the playoffs a seven game series for each round. You play 162 games a year, you lose the first game of a 5 game set, your screwed.

Second- Keep the DH. The best thing ever to happen in baseball history.

StillMissOzzie
11-22-2008, 03:40 PM
There already is a salary floor. It's 25 x $400,000 which is appx the MLB minimum wage. That comes out to $10M. Now, if you wanted to make it higher than that...

SMO
:gulp:

I want Mags back
11-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Lastly, the All Star game should start (first pitch, not introductions) at 6PM local time (5pm west coast), and 2 of the first 4 World Series games should at least be started in the daytime. Not enough kids can watch the signature games of the sport because the games end so late. Since I was a kid in the late 70s I remember a lot of great baseball, which kids today are missing out on.

1. We are 2 hours ahead of the West Coast. they arent gonna start at 4 out there

2. Kids go to school during the day, and the league wouldnt put the weekend games on during the day and force themselves to compete with the NFL and college football

russ99
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM
1. We are 2 hours ahead of the West Coast. they arent gonna start at 4 out there

2. Kids go to school during the day, and the league wouldnt put the weekend games on during the day and force themselves to compete with the NFL and college football

Well, that's the thing. It seems MLB is more concerned with their TV contract than the fans. Why else would they alienate so many fans with a large portion of the playoffs on cable?

I remember late afternoon (not 1pm starts) games as a kid, such as the Yankees in 1978 and kids today are missing out.