PDA

View Full Version : Fields to Colorado?

Scottiehaswheels
11-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Just thinking of possible trading partners for his services now that we most likely have Viciedo in the fold. Colorado has been rumored to be interested in trading Atkins and would therefore need a 3B. Fields is a very Christian person from all accounts I've heard and the Colorado clubhouse is very much in line with this as well from what I remember hearing during the '07 Series. I would think a trade to them would be beneficial to him as well as maybe to us? Who does Colorado have we might want? Taveras and a low A prospect? I think Josh would be a good fit for Colorado due to the NL pitching and light air. Thoughts?

oeo
11-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Fields will be our starting third baseman.

Craig Grebeck
11-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Just thinking of possible trading partners for his services now that we most likely have Viciedo in the fold. Colorado has been rumored to be interested in trading Atkins and would therefore need a 3B. Fields is a very Christian person from all accounts I've heard and the Colorado clubhouse is very much in line with this as well from what I remember hearing during the '07 Series. I would think a trade to them would be beneficial to him as well as maybe to us? Who does Colorado have we might want? Taveras and a low A prospect? I think Josh would be a good fit for Colorado due to the NL pitching and light air. Thoughts?
Ian Stewart?

JermaineDye05
11-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Fields will be our starting third baseman.

I'm going to stick with this thinking until Dayan proves to be like Alexei. I don't want him to just be given the starting job, he should earn it. If he's as good as they're saying, then let him prove it in spring training and give him the job. If Fields has a good spring training and shows that his knee is good then I say you trade him.

kittle42
11-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Why does everyone just want to anoint a completely unknown quantity from Cuba as the next great thing? This is just as stupid as simply declaring Beckham will be playing a starting IF position in the next two years. It's unfounded, blind hope, and not grounded in realism.

You do not just hand a position to an unknown quantity and get rid of the other guys who can compete for that position. Jesus ****ing christ, people.

oeo
11-21-2008, 12:19 AM
I think if Viciedo makes the team out of Spring Training, it will be in a role similar to the one Alexei was in for the first month and a half. Corners in the infield and outfield.

It's Fields' job to lose...if he's healthy, he should be able to take it. Best case scenario, we have both Fields and Viciedo, while someone else becomes expendable. Worst case, Wilson Betemit is starting at third base. :o:

Scottiehaswheels
11-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Sorry Kittle, I'll qualify this one as a potential late spring training trade after we see what they both can offer. Better now?

DSpivack
11-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Sorry Kittle, I'll qualify this one as a potential late spring training trade after we see what they both can offer. Better now?

Nope, the reason the Rockies would trade Atkins is because of Ian Stewart, as mentioned.

soltrain21
11-21-2008, 12:24 AM
This whole religious aspect of Fields' life has been blown completely out of proportion.

oeo
11-21-2008, 12:25 AM
This whole religious aspect of Fields' life has been blown completely out of proportion.

No kidding. Wasn't he misquoted anyway?

Scottiehaswheels
11-21-2008, 12:26 AM
This whole religious aspect of Fields' life has been blown completely out of proportion.How do you figure? Wasn't he quoted just last year saying he wasn't sure he would continue with baseball as it conflicted with his beliefs in some fashion? I'm sure Crede coming back was a good portion of this too but...

Craig Grebeck
11-21-2008, 12:28 AM
How do you figure? Wasn't he quoted just last year saying he wasn't sure he would continue with baseball as it conflicted with his beliefs in some fashion? I'm sure Crede coming back was a good portion of this too but...
But what? You're making no sense. Ian Stewart.

voodoochile
11-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Why does everyone just want to anoint a completely unknown quantity from Cuba as the next great thing? This is just as stupid as simply declaring Beckham will be playing a starting IF position in the next two years. It's unfounded, blind hope, and not grounded in realism.

You do not just hand a position to an unknown quantity and get rid of the other guys who can compete for that position. Jesus ****ing christ, people.

I'd more expect them to hand the job to Betamit for a season expecting Viciedo to take it over in 2010.

Fields might still have some trade value and the way the Sox are acquiring 3B doesn't leave much hope that Fields has a long term future here.

Scottiehaswheels
11-21-2008, 12:34 AM
But what? You're making no sense. Ian Stewart.Which means what exactly? Fields has kicked his ass at every level of ball without playing AAA or MLB - 2008 in Colorado air? Throw out your PECOTA, I'd like to see what the differences are.

oeo
11-21-2008, 12:42 AM
I'd more expect them to hand the job to Betamit for a season expecting Viciedo to take it over in 2010.

Fields might still have some trade value and the way the Sox are acquiring 3B doesn't leave much hope that Fields has a long term future here.

Or one of Fields/Viciedo are headed to the other side of the infield. Thome is gone next year, which means Konerko will likely head to DH.

btrain929
11-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Which means what exactly? Fields has kicked his ass at every level of ball without playing AAA or MLB - 2008 in Colorado air? Throw out your PECOTA, I'd like to see what the differences are.

Fields career minor league #'s:

26 years old, 459 games, 62HR, 261RBI, .275/.359/.458

Ian Stewart career minor league #'s:

23 years old, 601 games, 101HR, 423RBI, .293/.373/.524

Hmmm, who would I want.....

voodoochile
11-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Or one of Fields or Viciedo are headed to the other side of the infield. Thome is gone next year, which means Konerko will likely head to DH.

I can see PK playing out his current contract at first. I think Dye is more likely to split time at DH to keep his legs fresh. Of course PK might be the other half of that platoon. I think the Sox will sign Dye to a 3 year deal or so when this one expires with the hope he'll finish his career here as DH and fill in OF.

No reason the two of them can't do both to keep and keep as many big bats on the field as possible. How is Betamit in the OF?

btrain929
11-21-2008, 12:52 AM
I can see PK playing out his current contract at first. I think Dye is more likely to split time at DH to keep his legs fresh. Of course PK might be the other half of that platoon. I think the Sox will sign Dye to a 3 year deal or so when this one expires with the hope he'll finish his career here as DH and fill in OF.

No reason the two of them can't do both to keep and keep as many big bats on the field as possible. How is Betamit in the OF?

This is quite a stretch, but if everybody performs well enough to be on the team as a starter (maybe as early as 2010), it would be great to have Fields at 3B, Dye at DH when Thome leaves, Viciedo in RF, and a power hitting lefty (Brandon Allen or a FA signing) at 1B.

oeo
11-21-2008, 12:55 AM

Dye will be 35 at the beginning of 2009, I really doubt they'll bring him back after this contract. Konerko, IMO, is more likely to stay, but I think he will be gone after 2010, too. Out with the old, in with the new. I think it's quite evident that after failing in 2006 and 2007 with the World Series core, Kenny is trying to transition to a new core (and it's looking even better than the World Series team, so far).

No reason the two of them can't do both to keep and keep as many big bats on the field as possible. How is Betamit in the OF?First, you might want to check your links:
And everyone here is two clicks away from the proper spelling of everyone who is on the team or has appeared with the team in any given season...

one (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chw)

two (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=chw)

:wink:

Second, I don't like the idea of Betemit in the outfield.

voodoochile
11-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Dye will be 35 at the beginning of 2009, I really doubt they'll bring him back after this contract. Konerko, IMO, is more likely to stay, but I think he will be gone after 2010, too. Out with the old, in with the new.

Second, I don't like the idea of Betemit in the outfield.

35 is not that old. Dye should easily have 3 more years in him and if he can continue to put up an OPS ~ .900 then the Sox would be silly to watch him walk away. Dye likes it here and the Sox should have plenty of money to spend to keep him. I'm not going to look at the large number of eggs in the basket right now and say, "wow, look at all those chickens." A lot can happen in the next two years. While I'd love for Betamit to settle down, find his stroke and become a stud, Fields to suddenly stop striking out 1/3 AB settle in and start driving the ball for power like we think he can and Viciedo to become the next Miguel Cabrera, I'm not willing to assume that will all happen.

PK and Dye add an element of stability and guaranteed power. You don't walk away from them both unless you are sure you have replacements. I don't think Dye will break the bank on his next contract. 3 years/24M total would be a solid price to pay for his expected production splitting time between DH and RF. PK might run a little higher because he's a little younger, but he's also a life time Sox player who was captain of the team for many years and has shown loyalty. JR loves loyalty.

Still, if everyone works out, the Sox might be looking at a lineup in 2010 of:

Ramierez SS
Beckham 2B
Quentin LF
PK 1B/DH
Dye RF/DH
Viciedo 3B/RF
AJ C
Fields/Betamit 1B/3B
CF (right now that's probably a platoon of Owens and BA, but in 2 years, who knows).

That saves money spent on a straight DH and saves legs on PK and Dye while giving nice flexibility. You've even got Getz to act as utility guy or be the stop gap in case Beckham isn't ready.

And if that team lives up to it's potential - :drool:

That's also a huge savings from the current teams gross contracts. So they could probably put $20-25M into pitching and not blink an eye.

I don't mind having a couple of guys over 35 provided they can still hit...

kittle42
11-21-2008, 01:25 AM

Yes, actually.

whitesox901
11-21-2008, 02:04 AM
35 is not that old. Dye should easily have 3 more years in him and if he can continue to put up an OPS ~ .900 then the Sox would be silly to watch him walk away. Dye likes it here and the Sox should have plenty of money to spend to keep him. I'm not going to look at the large number of eggs in the basket right now and say, "wow, look at all those chickens." A lot can happen in the next two years. While I'd love for Betamit to settle down, find his stroke and become a stud, Fields to suddenly stop striking out 1/3 AB settle in and start driving the ball for power like we think he can and Viciedo to become the next Miguel Cabrera, I'm not willing to assume that will all happen.

PK and Dye add an element of stability and guaranteed power. You don't walk away from them both unless you are sure you have replacements. I don't think Dye will break the bank on his next contract. 3 years/24M total would be a solid price to pay for his expected production splitting time between DH and RF. PK might run a little higher because he's a little younger, but he's also a life time Sox player who was captain of the team for many years and has shown loyalty. JR loves loyalty.

Ramierez SS
Beckham 2B
Quentin LF
PK 1B/DH
Dye RF/DH
Viciedo 3B/RF
AJ C
Fields/Betamit 1B/3B
CF (right now that's probably a platoon of Owens and BA, but in 2 years, who knows).

That saves money spent on a straight DH and saves legs on PK and Dye while giving nice flexibility. You've even got Getz to act as utility guy or be the stop gap in case Beckham isn't ready.

That's also a huge savings from the current teams gross contracts. So they could probably put $20-25M into pitching and not blink an eye.

Voodoo....nicely put! :thumbsup:

DSpivack
11-21-2008, 02:13 AM

Ramierez SS
Beckham 2B
Quentin LF
PK 1B/DH
Dye RF/DH
Viciedo 3B/RF
AJ C
Fields/Betamit 1B/3B

Voodoo, I agree with the personnel decisions here, but I think signing Dye at just 8 mil per year is a tad optimistic.

chaerulez
11-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Which means what exactly? Fields has kicked his ass at every level of ball without playing AAA or MLB - 2008 in Colorado air? Throw out your PECOTA, I'd like to see what the differences are.

Fields has basically two full seasons worth of AAA experience, which he's done well in, but not spectacular. And he has 425 ABs at the MLB level, not enough of a sample size yet to judge how good he can be, but he's had some chances. And I don't know your definition of kicked ass, but Fields never really put up any sort of gaudy minor league numbers he had a really good year in his first full season of AAA ball and the continued that next year before he got called up to the Sox. However they were anything amazing and his high A and AA numbers don't jump out at you either. Fields is a good talent to have around but I don't think the Rockies will have much interest in him, plus I'd rather keep him since he's a cheap younger player with good potential. He does have experience at LF, so we don't have have to play him at 3B.

Scottiehaswheels
11-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Fields has basically two full seasons worth of AAA experience, which he's done well in, but not spectacular. And he has 425 ABs at the MLB level, not enough of a sample size yet to judge how good he can be, but he's had some chances. And I don't know your definition of kicked ass, but Fields never really put up any sort of gaudy minor league numbers he had a really good year in his first full season of AAA ball and the continued that next year before he got called up to the Sox. However they were anything amazing and his high A and AA numbers don't jump out at you either. Fields is a good talent to have around but I don't think the Rockies will have much interest in him, plus I'd rather keep him since he's a cheap younger player with good potential. He does have experience at LF, so we don't have have to play him at 3B.True, I think Stewart's numbers are also heavily skewed by his rookie ball and A ball seasons. He's been comparable to Fields since (AA and up) and that is with him playing AAA in Colorado vs. North Carolina. At the ML level Fields has him beat on many categories in a tougher league and I also believe Fields' stats from this season should not be considered in the argument as he was obviously not up to par with his injury.

btrain929
11-21-2008, 03:10 AM
True, I think Stewart's numbers are also heavily skewed by his rookie ball and A ball seasons. He's been comparable to Fields since (AA and up) and that is with him playing AAA in Colorado vs. North Carolina. At the ML level Fields has him beat on many categories in a tougher league and I also believe Fields' stats from this season should not be considered in the argument as he was obviously not up to par with his injury.

Even if their stats are a lot closer if you take out Stewart's rookie ball and A ball numbers, and even if I agree with you (which I don't) that Fields is slightly better than Stewart or they are "comparable", Fields is 26 and Stewart is 23. Wouldn't COL prefer the younger option? Why would they give up anything of value to obtain Josh Fields when they already have a player that is extremely similar to Fields, if not better, and is younger?

veeter
11-21-2008, 07:50 AM

Fields might still have some trade value and the way the Sox are acquiring 3B doesn't leave much hope that Fields has a long term future here.I agree with this 100%. I think Josh is as good as gone. As much as I think Betemit kinda sucks, this could be the scenario. Also Uribe is still floating around. We'll see.

kittle42
11-21-2008, 08:02 AM
He does have experience at LF, so we don't have have to play him at 3B.

Yes, HORRIBLE experience in LF. You may as well throw Pierzynski out there. Really.

champagne030
11-21-2008, 09:02 AM
The Rockies only get to use a DH for a handful of games.

munchman33
11-21-2008, 09:11 AM
35 is not that old.

It is if you're a baseball player. Especially one with a history of leg injuries.

palehozenychicty
11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree with this 100%. I think Josh is as good as gone. As much as I think Betemit kinda sucks, this could be the scenario. Also Uribe is still floating around. We'll see.

I hope Uribe is gone forever and ever.

Craig Grebeck
11-21-2008, 09:23 AM
It is if you're a baseball player. Especially one with a history of leg injuries.
Definitely. JD is not a young and spry 35.

kittle42
11-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I hope Uribe is gone forever and ever.

He'll go, so starting next year, people here can say we should bring him back.

white sox bill
11-21-2008, 09:41 AM
He'll go, so starting next year, people here can say we should bring him back.
Lord knows I've done my share of Juan bashing, but for late inning replacement, nothing is quite as gratifying then seeing a Juan thrown fastball hit PK's mitt 0.9 seconds after he threw it from third base

hi im skot
11-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I agree with this 100%. I think Josh is as good as gone. As much as I think Betemit kinda sucks, this could be the scenario. Also Uribe is still floating around. We'll see.

I figured Uribe would probably sink. Perhaps he should be the next item on Letterman's "Will it Float?"

JorgeFabregas
11-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I figured Uribe would probably sink. Perhaps he should be the next item on Letterman's "Will it Float?"
Dense bodies sink. Flabby bodies float.

voodoochile
11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Voodoo, I agree with the personnel decisions here, but I think signing Dye at just 8 mil per year is a tad optimistic.
Might be, but if he's no longer able to play RF everyday and he's 35 it will factor into the offers he gets. Even if it's 3/30 he's worth it...

voodoochile
11-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Definitely. JD is not a young and spry 35.

Which is why he would be platooning at DH for half of his games - to protect his legs. If he gets injured, they can always dump the platoon and put PK full time at DH and let the other guys handle the IF duties.

Dye hasn't required more than a cortizone injection in several years. He's had 2 since he's been with the Sox and come back strong after each one. It's not like he's having R&M surgery every off season. It's a Cortizone injection once every 2-3 years. With him splitting time at DH that might preclude the need for him to even need those.

Also, if he's still putting up .900 OPS - how do you justify letting him walk away?

munchman33
11-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Which is why he would be platooning at DH for half of his games - to protect his legs. If he gets injured, they can always dump the platoon and put PK full time at DH and let the other guys handle the IF duties.

Dye hasn't required more than a cortizone injection in several years. He's had 2 since he's been with the Sox and come back strong after each one. It's not like he's having R&M surgery every off season. It's a Cortizone injection once every 2-3 years. With him splitting time at DH that might preclude the need for him to even need those.

Also, if he's still putting up .900 OPS - how do you justify letting him walk away?

I wouldn't let him walk away. That's why I think we need to trade him now, before that happens. He's got value now in a trade. Good value. That's not a given next year. Heck, that's not even a given in June.

veeter
11-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Dense bodies sink. Flabby bodies float.That's true, but I actually saw Juan floating around. He was hovering over Chipotle.

DSpivack
11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Might be, but if he's no longer able to play RF everyday and he's 35 it will factor into the offers he gets. Even if it's 3/30 he's worth it...

Definitely. It would obviously depend on what kind of season he has in 2009; if he has an MVP-type year like 2006, he'll cost a pretty penny. A solid season like this past one or 2005, and I'm thinking somewhere around $12 mil a year. A season like 2007, and we might be able to get him a bargain.

He has been our most consistent hitter the last few years, though, and I still think he's our 2nd most dangerous hitter behind TCQ. I don't understand why everyone seems so quick to deal him.

Scottiehaswheels
11-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Definitely. It would obviously depend on what kind of season he has in 2009; if he has an MVP-type year like 2006, he'll cost a pretty penny. A solid season like this past one or 2005, and I'm thinking somewhere around $12 mil a year. A season like 2007, and we might be able to get him a bargain.

He has been our most consistent hitter the last few years, though, and I still think he's our 2nd most dangerous hitter behind TCQ. I don't understand why everyone seems so quick to deal him.Count me in the keep Dye section. At worst we move him to LF and move Quentin to RF.

Sargeant79
11-21-2008, 04:11 PM
He has been our most consistent hitter the last few years, though, and I still think he's our 2nd most dangerous hitter behind TCQ. I don't understand why everyone seems so quick to deal him.

As I just commented in a different thread, everyone has a price. I don't think we should look to move Dye now, but you should always listen to offers. Whether any trade is a good idea depends on what you get in return.

Tragg
11-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Just don't give him away.