PDA

View Full Version : Shane Victorino?

HBaines03
11-20-2008, 07:41 PM
It is being discussed, on another forum, that as an option that we might trade for Shane Victorino to play LF and fill the #2 spot in the lineup. With Chase Utley out for a large portion of next year is this a likely scenario by trading Jermaine Dye to Philly? What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Craig Grebeck
11-20-2008, 07:42 PM
It is being discussed, on another forum, that as an option that we might trade for Shane Victorino to play LF and fill the #2 spot in the lineup. With Chase Utley out for a large portion of next year is this a likely scenario by trading Jermaine Dye to Philly? What is everyone's thoughts on this?
1. He'd play CF.
2. He's not coming here.

/thread

munchman33
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
He's not available. The Phillies need outfielders. Trading one for another makes no sense, especially given the plethera of corner free agent outfielders and the extreme lack of CF options.

oeo
11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Victorino is one of my favorite non-Sox players, so I'd love to have him here, but I don't see any scenario in which the Phillies would trade him.

Bucky F. Dent
11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Only really followed him during the playoffs but liked what I saw - can't imagine that the Phillies would deal him unless they have a B.J. Upton type waiting in the wings.

kittle42
11-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Yes! Another dumb thread with a player's name that has no real chance of coming here or even leaving his current team and a question mark after it!!! Can I ****ing go to sleep until late March???

champagne030
11-20-2008, 09:56 PM

Only if we threw in Wise/Owens, plus Broadway and they sent Hamels back too.

Domeshot17
11-20-2008, 10:03 PM
With Utley out we could probably get him for Dye-Getz-Owens.

I still would not make that trade

Craig Grebeck
11-20-2008, 10:06 PM

Ah, yes, why would anyone? We'd be losing a DH who tries to play RF, a good organizational middle infielder, and a replacement level corner outfielder who should have stuck with football.

Domeshot17
11-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I am not overly impressed by Victorino. He is a solid ball player, but 280 career hitter, mid 700 ops, steals 30 bases a year. Hes good, but I wouldnt trade a guy who drives in 100 scores 100 and hits in the middle of the order PLUS one of our better prospects and Owens who sucks for him.

Last year Victorino scored 102 runs and drove in 58. Dye Drove in 96 and Scored 96.

Yes, he plays good D in CF, but he is a vastly over rated ball player. Keep in mind his doubles and triples would probably decrease with our smaller ball park (smaller gaps) and facing better pitching.

doublem23
11-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Ah, yes, why would anyone? We'd be losing a DH who tries to play RF, a good organizational middle infielder, and a replacement level corner outfielder who should have stuck with football.

Dye's defense in right field is more than adequate. IT'S RIGHT FIELD. And we play in a small park.

TheOldRoman
11-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Dye's defense in right field is more than adequate. IT'S RIGHT FIELD. And we play in a small park.Dye got off to a horrible start in right, but he had a much better year in the field than in 06 or 07. Either way, if he comes back, I hope him and Carlos are switched.

Taliesinrk
11-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Dye got off to a horrible start in right, but he had a much better year in the field than in 06 or 07. Either way, if he comes back, I hope him and Carlos are switched.

I think posters here really underestimate what he means to the team and line-up. People keep throwing him in with PK and Thome, and that's not a fair evaluation.

oeo
11-21-2008, 12:11 AM
I think posters here really underestimate what he means to the team and line-up. People keep throwing him in with PK and Thome, and that's not a fair evaluation.

No, most people realize that he's realistic trade bait. He's only got no trade protection like six teams, I think, and he's coming off a pretty good season. PK and Thome would be very difficult to move.

Craig Grebeck
11-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Dye's defense in right field is more than adequate. IT'S RIGHT FIELD. And we play in a small park.
RF still means a lot when you're as immobile as JD.

chaerulez
11-21-2008, 02:47 AM

I'm not ruling out Victorino can't be had, because there is really no way of knowing that, but if you assume the Phillies wouldn't do a Dye for Victorino straight up how does the addition of Getz and Owens sweeten the pot?

Owens has proven so far he's a one tool player in the majors. A poor man's Juan Pierre. That's not good.

As for Getz, I don't think most teams see him as an everyday player. I don't think the Phillies would be too happy sending an unproven Chris Getz out there as their everyday 2B. A highly touted prospect maybe, but Getz is pretty middle of the road.

HBaines03
11-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Yes! Another dumb thread with a player's name that has no real chance of coming here or even leaving his current team and a question mark after it!!! Can I ****ing go to sleep until late March???

I personally don't think it is going to happen either but I wanted others opinions of the topic and maybe some knowledge I was unaware of.

Kittle 42, please go to sleep and don't bother posting again! This is a forum where people can comment about White Sox topics. If you don't like what is posted than don't comment. I get real irritated when people post smart ass replies as if they are all knowing. Unless your name is Kenny Williams keep your smart ass comments to yourself and only post pertinent information.

veeter
11-21-2008, 07:44 AM
I personally don't think it is going to happen either but I wanted others opinions of the topic and maybe some knowledge I was unaware of.

Kittle 42, please go to sleep and don't bother posting again! This is a forum where people can comment about White Sox topics. If you don't like what is posted than don't comment. I get real irritated when people post smart ass replies as if they are all knowing. Unless your name is Kenny Williams keep your smart ass comments to yourself and only post pertinent information.But Baines, seriously, why the **** would the Phillies, after winning the World Series, trade a young, very good, important piece of their puzzle? Especially on the heels of the Utley announcement. This is like the Sox considering moving Quentin. It just defies logic.

kittle42
11-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Kittle 42, please go to sleep and don't bother posting again! This is a forum where people can comment about White Sox topics. If you don't like what is posted than don't comment. I get real irritated when people post smart ass replies as if they are all knowing. Unless your name is Kenny Williams keep your smart ass comments to yourself and only post pertinent information.

1. Kenny Williams is far from all-knowing himself, despite what some people here think.

2. I almost posted this in my initial post, so I'm so glad you've given me the chance now - I have said it a bunch of times before, as well - if there's something I hate more than the wild trade speculation thread, it's the inevitable "then don't read it/don't post in it" thread. I'm not going to turn a blind eye to ridiculousness. I prefer to call it out. If some people enjoy going on about these types of "rumors," fine. I enjoy pointing out how silly it is. You wanna post what I consider stupid ****? I'll write back what you consider to be stupid **** in return. Sounds fair to me.

kittle42
11-21-2008, 08:08 AM
But Baines, seriously, why the **** would the Phillies, after winning the World Series, trade a young, very good, important piece of their puzzle? Especially on the heels of the Utley announcement. This is like the Sox considering moving Quentin. It just defies logic.

veeter, if you don't like the wild trade speculation, don't read the thread.

Really, Baines, I've never cared much for the "What if???" superhero comics, either.

chaerulez
11-21-2008, 09:50 AM
But Baines, seriously, why the **** would the Phillies, after winning the World Series, trade a young, very good, important piece of their puzzle? Especially on the heels of the Utley announcement. This is like the Sox considering moving Quentin. It just defies logic.

Well Quentin is coming off a MVP like season and Victorino isn't anywhere close to that. I wouldn't say Victorino being traded is impossible. After all the Sox traded Rowand after they won the Series. However, that is because we had Anderson who was thought to be MLB ready at that point. And we got Jim Thome back. So even if the Phillies were willing to trade Victorino, they would want a proven MLB talent back. The Sox don't have anyone to really make that trade. Maybe Vazquez but that's really a bad trade for the Sox. But Victorino being traded is highly unlikely. And even more unlikely that if a trade were to happen it would be to the Sox.

Sargeant79
11-21-2008, 11:18 AM

...or like the White Sox trading Aaron Rowand.

Not saying that I think it's something that will happen, because I don't. But the above is not a reason why a player wouldn't get traded.

veeter
11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
...or like the White Sox trading Aaron Rowand.

Not saying that I think it's something that will happen, because I don't. But the above is not a reason why a player wouldn't get traded.To me, Victorino is way more valuable, and less expendable than Rowand was. That's my reasoning.

Sargeant79
11-21-2008, 04:09 PM
To me, Victorino is way more valuable, and less expendable than Rowand was. That's my reasoning.

That may be the case, but everyone has a price. I firmly believe that just about anyone in baseball would be moved by their current team if the offer is right.

oeo
11-21-2008, 06:34 PM
That may be the case, but everyone has a price. I firmly believe that just about anyone in baseball would be moved by their current team if the offer is right.

I'm sure if you blew the Phillies away, they would trade Victorino, but then, what's the point? We're going to overpay for Victorino, and likely be a worse team because of it.

We overpaid for an outfielder last year that wasn't available...and it didn't work out very well.

Taliesinrk
11-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm sure if you blew the Phillies away, they would trade Victorino, but then, what's the point? We're going to overpay for Victorino, and likely be a worse team because of it.

We overpaid for an outfielder last year that wasn't available...and it didn't work out very well.

The Carlos Quentin?

btrain929
11-21-2008, 10:14 PM
The Carlos Quentin?

The Nick Swisher.

champagne030
11-21-2008, 10:26 PM
The Nick Swisher.

I'm confident we could've traded DLS and Gio for Victorino last November. The Phillies probably wouldn't have won the World Series without Lidge. Would've been interesting.....