PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, Texeira interested in playing for...the Nats

chisox616
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I know right? Shocking. Actually, there's a good explanation for it. He's from Maryland and would like to play close to home.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081119&content_id=3685476&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

palehozenychicty
11-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I hope that this is just posturing for the Orioles to make him a good offer. They really need a first baseman and he's talked about returning to Baltimore for a long time. They're also a lot farther along than the Nats.

Their outfield is pretty young and good, and if they find a shortstop and starter on the cheap, they could be a surprise next year.

chaerulez
11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I understand the allure of playing near home, but does he want to stay home in October for at least the next five years. The Orioles might be able to field a good team before that, but the Nationals are deep into rebuilding and won't be able to overtake the NL East, all the other teams in that division have a better outlook for the next few years. The Orioles aren't in terrible shape but they play in the toughest division in baseball. The Red Sox and Rays are going to be winners for a while and the Yankees will spend. The Blue Jays are a pretty decent team, if they played in the NL West they might have won it last year. It's one thing if he wasn't going to get a competitive offer from a contending team but it's no secret the Red Sox are going to make a big offer for him.

PaleHoser
11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Boras would profess interest in playing in Japan if he thought it would drive up his price.

palehozenychicty
11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I understand the allure of playing near home, but does he want to stay home in October for at least the next five years. The Orioles might be able to field a good team before that, but the Nationals are deep into rebuilding and won't be able to overtake the NL East, all the other teams in that division have a better outlook for the next few years. The Orioles aren't in terrible shape but they play in the toughest division in baseball. The Red Sox and Rays are going to be winners for a while and the Yankees will spend. The Blue Jays are a pretty decent team, if they played in the NL West they might have won it last year. It's one thing if he wasn't going to get a competitive offer from a contending team but it's no secret the Red Sox are going to make a big offer for him.

I think that is his main issue, after playing in Texas all of those years and finally getting into the postseason, it's gotta be tough to go back as a player to a rebuilding situation.
Part of me thinks that he's going to the highest bidder, though, regardless of who gives it. He just strikes me as that type of player.

Madscout
11-20-2008, 11:38 AM
If anyone had played in the NL West, they would have won, except for the teams in the NL West not the Dodgers. But seriously, probably just talkin' out of his ass on this one.

NLaloosh
11-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Boras would profess interest in playing in Japan if he thought it would drive up his price.

I agree compltely. I don't believe for a second that he signs with any team that isn't the Yankees, Red Sox or Angels.

Let's see if Brian Roberts re-signs with Baltimore. If he does, then that means that he is content in very likely never playing in the post season in his career. That would say a lot to me about him.

chisox616
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah I HIGHLY doubt this will actually come to fruition. Boras will probably get him on the Red Sox. Boston's still pretty close to home and hey, he gets to visit Baltimore more often.

Still, it's pretty cool that he at least shows interest. Not every good player cares about a championship.

Hokiesox
11-20-2008, 12:17 PM
The Nats are behind in their payments to the city for the stadium. If they offered something like this, the city council (not the best friend of the nats) would probably burn the place down. It wouldn't be in their best interest. They played in front of a mostly empty stadium last season.

BleacherBandit
11-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I used to love it when Teixiera was playing for Texas. It made it easy to remember what team he was on.

PKalltheway
11-20-2008, 01:54 PM
He has to be posturing. Even though it's close to home for him, the Nats are nowhere near being a contender. The Nats would probably be better off trying to develop a first baseman from within their system, rather than try to make a splashy free agent signing, at least at this point in time.

If he's not going to re-sign with the Angels, he's gonna go to a contender with deep pockets. Heck, he can always go play for Washington or Baltimore when he gets old and fat, and just wants to finish his career at home anyway. Hey, I'll give him props for throwing it out there though, not everybody would just up and say "I want to play for the Nationals!":tongue: He also has a legit reason for saying it too, at least.

kittle42
11-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Part of me thinks that he's going to the highest bidder, though, regardless of who gives it. He just strikes me as that type of player.

You mean the type of player like 95% of players are, and almost all of us would be, too, if confronted with contract offers of these sizes?

FedEx227
11-20-2008, 02:13 PM
He has to be posturing. Even though it's close to home for him, the Nats are nowhere near being a contender. The Nats would probably be better off trying to develop a first baseman from within their system, rather than try to make a splashy free agent signing, at least at this point in time.

Absolutely, it'd be much like the 1999-2000 Tampa Bay Devil Rays who signed a bunch of old farts and ended up setting their organization back a few years.

doublem23
11-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Absolutely, it'd be much like the 1999-2000 Tampa Bay Devil Rays who signed a bunch of old farts and ended up setting their organization back a few years.

But Teixeira is still in his prime and is an excellent player, unlike when the D-Rays rolled out the corpse of Wade Boggs and Fred McGriff.

Washington also just picked up Willingham from Florida; that wouldn't be a bad middle of the order, IMO.

palehozenychicty
11-20-2008, 03:22 PM
You mean the type of player like 95% of players are, and almost all of us would be, too, if confronted with contract offers of these sizes?

I mean that he's the type of player who puts up great stats, is paid well, but rarely is a difference maker.

I have no problem with him getting his money. That's cool with me. I just don't think he's got that 'it' factor to carry a franchise. He'd be taking on that role of club ambassador if he signs with a crap organization like the Nats.

turners56
11-20-2008, 04:26 PM
The Orioles are a much better option than the Nationals.

white sox bill
11-20-2008, 04:29 PM

:borass:"Now lets convert that back to Yens"

JUribe1989
11-20-2008, 04:50 PM
The Orioles are a much better option than the Nationals.

To say that as a set-in-stone statement may not be entirely accurate. The Nats just traded for a solid starting pitcher in Scott Olsen as well as a .280 20+ HR hitter in Josh Willingham. They're looking at a decent hitting lineup next year with or without Teixeira.

SS Guzman
LF Harris
CF Milledge
3B Zimmerman
1B Willingham
RF Dukes
C Flores
2B Hernandez (finished great after trade; hit .333 in 81 ABs for Nats)

Pitching Staff is alright
SP 1 - John Lannan (3.91 ERA last year)
SP 2 - Scott Olsen (4.20 ERA last year with FLA)
SP 3 - Tim Redding (10-11, 4.95 ERA last year)
SP 4 - Odalis Perez (4.34 ERA last year)
SP 5 - Jason Bergmann, Shawn Hill, Ross Detwiler, or Collin Balester

Could be worse, I contend that the Orioles may be worse.

I know the Orioles hitting is superior, but their staff is Jeremy Guthrie (solid pitcher), Daniel Cabrera, Charlie Waters, Garrett Olson, and either Radhames Liz or Brian Burres.

HomeFish
11-20-2008, 04:52 PM
The NL East is much easier to win than the AL East. I'd rather face NYM and PHI than BOS and NYY.

MeteorsSox4367
11-21-2008, 12:44 PM
As someone who follows the Nats (I have no life), I'd love to see Teixeira come to DC. A middle of the order of Zimmerman, Tex and Willingham would be pretty formidable. If their pitching comes around, the Nats might be decent. I think Acta is a solid manager.

btrain929
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
As someone who follows the Nats (I have no life), I'd love to see Teixeira come to DC. A middle of the order of Zimmerman, Tex and Willingham would be pretty formidable. If their pitching comes around, the Nats might be decent. I think Acta is a solid manager.

:rolling::rolling::rolling: nice.