PDA

View Full Version : Should the SOX role the dice on Griffey?

JUGGERNAUT
05-20-2002, 10:08 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal,

If I were Reds general manager Jim Bowden, I'd contact the Yankees about Griffey immediately. I'd also court two high-revenue clubs in need of center fielders, the Mets and Dodgers. And I'd target teams deep in young pitching -- the White Sox, Mariners, Phillies and Orioles.

I'm thinking .. Borchard, Griffey, Ordonez for the future.

The SOX have deep OF reserves if Griffey gets hurt, & if Griffey's healthy have potentially the best middle 5 the league has ever seen ..
Getting Griffey allows the SOX to trade both Lee & Durham plus increase the gate with a marque name. If the SOX get in trouble with pitching they can always trade Griffey & his nice contract to a contender.

Lineup:
Harris, Griffey, Thomas, Maggs, Konerko, Borchard, Valentin, Crede,
Johnson/(Olivio/Paul/Lee)

Save : 6.3mil, 3.9mil, 2.7mil, 1.25mil
Spend 12.5mil(6.5mil deferred)

duke of dorwood
05-20-2002, 10:12 PM
You'd never get him for Lee and Durham.

Viva Magglio
05-20-2002, 10:12 PM
No. No. No.

Daver
05-20-2002, 10:16 PM
You are kidding right?

Garrison
05-20-2002, 10:19 PM
While it sounds all right posted on an internet message board, I wouldn't role the dice on Griffey and I don't think either ball club would very seriously consider this idea.

Procol Harum
05-20-2002, 10:29 PM
This team needs pitching, not another stinkin' outfielder. Even if Griffey returned to his old pre-Cincy form (and the odds of the Baseball Gods allowing this to happen after his being traded to the White Sox would be.....?) how much further ahead would we be than we are now?

MarqSox
05-20-2002, 10:44 PM
I'd trade Liefer for Griffey. We don't need him though! If we get him cheap, you can't turn him down, but why are we even talking about this? We need pitching!!