PDA

View Full Version : 1st Female Professional Baseball Player in Japan

esbrechtel
11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/19/japan-baseball

Saw this in the trib and had to do a little research...thoughts?

ChiSoxFan81
11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
This sounds like a Michelle Wie in the PGA sort of thing.

That being said, they have a "league of their own".

esbrechtel
11-19-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd really like to see a video of this pitch....and the male hitters who were "bamboozled"

Madscout
11-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Of course, she's a knuckleballer. With a good one of those, she could "bamboozle" a lot of hitters.

doublem23
11-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I remember a woman pitching a game in an American professional baseball game... Could have sworn it was for like the Tigers' Low-A team or maybe even just an independent league.

:dunno:

chisox616
11-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I think there were a few women who played A/AA ball but none have ever made it to the majors...but maybe I'm wrong.

Still that's crazy, if there's ever gonna be a full-professional female baseball player, she might as well be a knuckler. Also do a lot of Japanese people idolize the BoSox or something? I guess Dice-K might have something to do with that.

kitekrazy
11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
That being said, they have a "league of their own".

Amen to that.

JGarlandrules20
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I remember a woman pitching a game in an American professional baseball game... Could have sworn it was for like the Tigers' Low-A team or maybe even just an independent league.

Ila Borders played for an independent league, and I believe she's the only woman to play professional ball.

There's also Jackie Mitchell who supposedly struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in a spring training game in 1931.

btrain929
11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I think there were a few women who played A/AA ball but none have ever made it to the majors...but maybe I'm wrong.

Still that's crazy, if there's ever gonna be a full-professional female baseball player, she might as well be a knuckler. Also do a lot of Japanese people idolize the BoSox or something? I guess Dice-K might have something to do with that.

"You no Big Paaaaapi!"

http://thelittlestsifu.squarespace.com/storage/David%20Ortiz%201.18.2008.jpg

LongLiveFisk
11-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Am I imagining things or didn't the White Sox draft Ron Schueler's daughter some years ago? :scratch:

MisterB
11-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Am I imagining things or didn't the White Sox draft Ron Schueler's daughter some years ago? :scratch:

Yes, but she was never signed.

guillensdisciple
11-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Of course, she's a knuckleballer. With a good one of those, she could "bamboozle" a lot of hitters.

Well imagine comboing Megan Fox's looks with a killer knuckler.... she would be unhittable. HOF without a doubt, players would be staring at her not the ball.

Easy win, I am not being sarcastic either.

whitesox901
11-21-2008, 02:30 AM
Does she play CF & lead off? Sign Kenny Sign!

In all seriousness, its a pretty cool deed, but didn't some girl strike out Babe Ruth back in the day?

soxfan13
11-21-2008, 09:40 AM

It was in the Northern League a few years back. St Paul was the team and if I remember correctly she got lit up