PDA

View Full Version : Come Ready to Play?

Viva Magglio
05-20-2002, 09:50 PM
:angry: What the hell? Tonight was yet another heartless effort and another loss. I realize that Boston is a good team, but I expect better than this for Christ's sake. That makes eight losses in our last eleven games. The only reason we are only one game out of first place is because we play in a crappy division. In any other division, we would already be out of the race.

I am not convinced that we are going to win this division. And if we win the division somehow with this mediocre team we have, we would be the equivalent of a 15 or 16 seed in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournment. That is because the AL Central represents what would be a mid-major conference in college basketball.

First off, I have had it with Ray Durham. Don't give me this stuff about him being a great second baseman. For every good outfield catch me makes, he misses three ground balls to his right. And he is atrocious at the plate. Tonight's first inning was a perfect example of that when Kenny Lofton had second base stolen, yet Ray decided to bunt the ball foul. He then his into a double play. This is the individual whom we should trade for pitching. Since his arrival in 1995, Ray Durham has been nothing short of an underacheiver.

Also, I continue to fault Jerry Manuel for this heartless play. As the manager, it is his job to motivate the team. It is his job to intervene when he team goes through the motions has it has been doing pretty much all season. I am not saying that Manuel should stand up in the middle of the clubhouse and do a Knute Rockne impression, but he shows little pulse. This is not the time for the Gandhi routine.

I'm tired of busting my ass at work and then coming home to see this crap every night. For the money I invest in this team through my split season ticket plan, not to mention money I spend at the ballpark on concessions and the like, I would like to see a goddamn concerted effort on this team's part to show me that they give a damn. In other words, I want a return on my investment in the form of a competitive team that is fun to watch. Right now, the Sox are neither.

CerberusWG
05-20-2002, 09:53 PM
:jerry

We brought our 'F' game tonight!

duke of dorwood
05-20-2002, 10:09 PM
They just dont put out every night. Give me younger, hungary players. Once the Kids could play, Give me the kids and stick the "A" game up their #$%#@

Garrison
05-20-2002, 10:45 PM
We have a team of talented players who just go through the motions. I totally fault JM for that. He doesn't have to be Bobby Knight or anything to the extreme. But show some emotion! Light a fire. Speak to your players. Show some passion for the team and the game. Sitting on the end of the bench with Nardi and clapping your hands no matter what happens isn't how you kick your team in the ass. Trade someone, fire someone, send someone to AAA. I don't care, but make and example or send a message. This could be a great team and in this crap division we could have a playoff berth wrapped up in no time. Instead we are keeping up with the Twins because they're losing. Two weeks in a row we have said that it doesn't matter, we haven't lost any ground. But eventually, Minnesota will win some games and we'll be five or ten back and suddenly out of it. We know how well this team plays from behind. I totally fault Manuel for this lack of desire. These guys have what it takes, they just don't seem to want to show up every night and play hard. We've got payroll problems but for what? Pay these guys all the $$$ so they can go 0-fer every night and let balls they could hustle for roll to the outfield. And for crying out loud. Why is Royce Clayton batting to lead off the 9th!?!?!? JM subbed him a couple days ago. Why not tonight? You need nine runs to tie, so why start off the inning with an automatic one-out hole? Jesus Christ.

CLR01
05-21-2002, 03:04 AM
Oh quit bitching about clayton batting in the 9 hole tonight. We were down 9-0 nothing, we were not coming back so it makes no difference. Also quit the bitching about JM, i can give you 57,052,833 reasons why this teams should be fired up and ready to play every single game and not one of them has anything to do with JM.

bc2k
05-21-2002, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
:
First off, I have had it with Ray Durham. Don't give me this stuff about him being a great second baseman. For every good outfield catch me makes, he misses three ground balls to his right. And he is atrocious at the plate. Tonight's first inning was a perfect example of that when Kenny Lofton had second base stolen, yet Ray decided to bunt the ball foul. He then his into a double play. This is the individual whom we should trade for pitching. Since his arrival in 1995, Ray Durham has been nothing short of an underacheiver.

I agree! It is about time other Sox fans realize what a cancer Durham is. This guy is terrible.

Just because he lost his leadoff spot to Lofton, doesn't mean he has to take Valentin's #2 spot. Manuel probably thinks, "Well Durham was leadoff last year and with the arrival of Lofton, Durham will fit perfectly in the 2 hole." This theory makes sense when you have a real leadoff hitter to begin with, but Durham was not. He posted career highs in 2001 in doubles (42), and home runs (20). Combine that with the lack of consistancy, not hitting for average, and terrible bunting skills, that doesn't make a leadoff hitter. And that doesn't make for a number 2 hitter either. So put Jose Valentin back batting second where he belongs and drop Durham to 6th.

In today's game, (May 20) Lofton starts off with an infield single. Typical Lofton. Then Durham fails to advance Lofton by fouling off a bunt. So how does Ray make up for his mistake? Hits into a double play (his eigth of the season). Typical Durham. I know we were shut out, but this all happened the the top of the first when the game was obviously still in reach. Durham fouls off so many bunts with a runner on base, that it is hard for me not to think he is doing it on purpose so he gets to two strikes and gets to swing away. I seriously hope that is not the case, but he makes me wonder.

Valentin would have gotten the bunt down, because he is a baseball player. Besides, Valentin would do more with all those fastballs in the number two spot than Durham. The only reason Durham is batting second is because he is butt buddies with Manuel.

CLR01
05-21-2002, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

I agree! It is about time other Sox fans realize what a cancer Durham is. This guy is terrible.

Just because he lost his leadoff spot to Lofton, doesn't mean he has to take Valentin's #2 spot. Manuel probably thinks, "Well Durham was leadoff last year and with the arrival of Lofton, Durham will fit perfectly in the 2 hole." This theory makes sense when you have a real leadoff hitter to begin with, but Durham was not. He posted career highs in 2001 in doubles (42), and home runs (20). Combine that with the lack of consistancy, not hitting for average, and terrible bunting skills, that doesn't make a leadoff hitter. And that doesn't make for a number 2 hitter either. So put Jose Valentin back batting second where he belongs and drop Durham to 6th.

In today's game, (May 20) Lofton starts off with an infield single. Typical Lofton. Then Durham fails to advance Lofton by fouling off a bunt. So how does Ray make up for his mistake. Hits into a double play (his eigth of the season). Typical Durham. I called this happening in the offseason. I know we were shut out, but this all happened the the top of the first when the game was obviously was still in reach. Durham fouls off so many bunts with a runner on base, that it is hard for me not to think he is doing it on purpose so he gets to two strikes and has to swing away. I seriously hope that is not the case, but he makes me wonder.

Valentin would have gotten the bunt down, because he is a baseball player. Besides, Valentin would do more with all those fastballs in the number two spot than Durham. The only reason Durham is batting second is because he is butt buddies with Manuel.

From what i heard on the radio Durham was not trying to bunt the ball. Lofton was going to steal so Ray was just trying to use the bat to block the catcher so he couldnt step into the the throw. He didnt pull the bat back far enough an the ball ran up into the bat. Ofcourse i didnt see the game, im going by what Rooney and Farmer were saying.

bc2k
05-21-2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

From what i heard on the radio Durham was not trying to bunt the ball. Lofton was going to steal so Ray was just trying to use the bat to block the catcher so he couldnt step into the the throw. He didnt pull the bat back far enough an the ball ran up into the bat. Ofcourse i didnt see the game, im going by what Rooney and Farmer were saying.

Honestly I didn't see the first two innings either. I was also listening to Farmer/Rooney (who I listen to even when I'm watching the game). I didn't hear them say that, I must have been swearing when they said it. Either way, it is Durhams fault and he should not be in the number two spot. Maybe its because his bat is 55/55 he couldn't get it out of the way fast enough.

Now that I'm thinking, Durham's mistake was worse than what I thought. I heard Rooney say that Lofton had that base stolen easily. So if Durham didn't check that pitch, Lofton is on second. Then Durham could have sacrificed Lofton to third, giving Maggs and Konerko a chance at scoring him. So a minimum of 1-0 going to the bottom of the first. Durham changed the whole ballgame. "Hello Willie Harris, how are you? I know, I know, it looks like that insurance policy is going to be collected soon."

raul12
05-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
They just dont put out every night. Give me younger, hungary players. Once the Kids could play, Give me the kids and stick the "A" game up their #$%#@

maybe that's it! we need to start scouting Hungary! LMAO! (i know it was a typo, it was just a funny one.)

GASHWOUND
05-21-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
:angry: What the hell? Tonight was yet another heartless effort and another loss. I realize that Boston is a good team, but I expect better than this for Christ's sake. That makes eight losses in our last eleven games. The only reason we are only one game out of first place is because we play in a crappy division. In any other division, we would already be out of the race.

I am not convinced that we are going to win this division. And if we win the division somehow with this mediocre team we have, we would be the equivalent of a 15 or 16 seed in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournment. That is because the AL Central represents what would be a mid-major conference in college basketball.

Also, I continue to fault Jerry Manuel for this heartless play. As the manager, it is his job to motivate the team. It is his job to intervene when he team goes through the motions has it has been doing pretty much all season. I am not saying that Manuel should stand up in the middle of the clubhouse and do a Knute Rockne impression, but he shows little pulse. This is not the time for the Gandhi routine.

I'm tired of busting my ass at work and then coming home to see this crap every night. For the money I invest in this team through my split season ticket plan, not to mention money I spend at the ballpark on concessions and the like, I would like to see a goddamn concerted effort on this team's part to show me that they give a damn. In other words, I want a return on my investment in the form of a competitive team that is fun to watch. Right now, the Sox are neither.

I agree, Bernsy and Boers said it best this morning on their show, "The Sox are awful and Bad" To tell you the truth, I can't disagree with that statement.

Prove me wrong Sox....