PDA

View Full Version : Read Pascal Marco's article on WSI

PJGordon
11-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Everyone should read Marco's article on WSI called "Second City No More". It makes you think about life, politics and sticking to the Cubs. This guy is an excellent writer and Sox fan par excellence. Please print more Marco so we can make it to Spring.

You go Marco!

SOXfnNlansing
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
:scratch:

TornLabrum
11-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Everyone should read Marco's article on WSI called "Second City No More". It makes you think about life, politics and sticking to the Cubs. This guy is an excellent writer and Sox fan par excellence. Please print more Marco so we can make it to Spring.

You go Marco!

Hi Pascal! :redneck

ChiSoxFan81
11-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Pretty good stuff, but "The Second City" refers to the Great Chicago Fire, and the subsequent rebuilding, NOT to the population status being 2nd to NY (prior to being knocked to 3rd by LA).

soxinem1
11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Pretty good stuff, but "The Second City" refers to the Great Chicago Fire, and the subsequent rebuilding, NOT to the population status being 2nd to NY (prior to being knocked to 3rd by LA).

Much like the false weather-related story about how Chicago was named 'The Windy City.'

TommyJohn
11-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Much like the false weather-related story about how Chicago was named 'The Windy City.'

It actually is true. There have been several references to Chicago as the "windy city" that predate the accepted "coinage" of the term by a New York writer (Charles Dana?). Several newspaper stories in Cincinnati refer to Chicago as such as early as the 1870's.

soxinem1
11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
It actually is true. There have been several references to Chicago as the "windy city" that predate the accepted "coinage" of the term by a New York writer (Charles Dana?). Several newspaper stories in Cincinnati refer to Chicago as such as early as the 1870's.

I believe the 'Windy City' moniker is political, and has to do with Milwaukee.

I want Mags back
11-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I believe the 'Windy City' moniker is political, and has to do with Milwaukee.

Cincinnati (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City,_Origin_of_Name_(Chicago))

pmck003
11-20-2008, 04:42 PM
"Chicago's wind is often called "The Hawk.""

soxinem1
11-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Cincinnati (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City,_Origin_of_Name_(Chicago))

I'm going to research the subject, but IIRC, it goes back to about 1845-50 when MIL was a favorite to become the international port capital of the midwest due to it's access to Lake Michigan, and large potential workforce.

But a bunch of Aldermen from here went to DC and lobbied Chicago as a better alternative for an internation shipping port.

Milwaukee was sure they had it in the bag and did little to trumpet their cause. When it was announced that Chicago was the choice, the Milwaukee politicians noted that the 'win-bags' from Chi-Town pulled a fast one on them.

soxrepublican
11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Great article!

AZSoxPosse
01-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Thank you for your comments. Glad you liked it.

Pascal Marco

Railsplitter
01-10-2009, 09:20 PM
In what publication is this article?