Pretty happy with the choice

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3708596

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4574

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Congrats to Pujols, he deserved it.

PKalltheway
11-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I have no beef with this pick whatsoever, the writers got this one right. Congrats to Pujols.

chisoxmike
11-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Right choice, correct choice.

Rockabilly
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I thought Howard was going to win it but congrats to Pujols..

Craig Grebeck
11-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Hell yes. Howard would have been an embarrassment.

chisox616
11-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Sweet! Go Pujols! Absolutely deserved it.

whitesox901
11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Im glad Phat Albert got it, he deserved it.

turners56
11-17-2008, 03:54 PM
They picked the right guy.

PatK
11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Hell yes. Howard would have been an embarrassment.

I looked at the voting and have come to the conclusion that most of the voters must have been extremely high today.

Utley finishing behind Geo Soto?

thomas35forever
11-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Congrats Albert. Here's to many more.

daveeym
11-17-2008, 04:37 PM
At least Carlos Delgado made the top ten. :redneck

chisoxfanatic
11-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Well deserved...good for him!

FedEx227
11-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I looked at the voting and have come to the conclusion that most of the voters must have been extremely high today.

Utley finishing behind Geo Soto?

But he's a catcher so he's more valuabl... blah blah blah.

BadBobbyJenks
11-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Did anyone bring up his quote when he said a player on a losing team should not win the MVP? I think he deserved it, but I would like to see how he responded to that question.

SBSoxFan
11-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Did anyone bring up his quote when he said a player on a losing team should not win the MVP? I think he deserved it, but I would like to see how he responded to that question.

St. Louis won 86 games last year. While they didn't reach the post-season, I wouldn't consider that a "losing" team.

turners56
11-18-2008, 12:47 PM

He said about how a player on a non-playoff team should not win MVP. This was back in 06 when Howard won instead of him.

BadBobbyJenks
11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
He said about how a player on a non-playoff team should not win MVP. This was back in 06 when Howard won instead of him.

Right, but now he has won the award in the reverse circumstance and would like to see how he feels about that stance now.

Gosox1917
11-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Should have gone to Howard...the Cardinals didn't do jack this season. Without Howard the Phillies don't even sniff the playoffs.

Craig Grebeck
11-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Should have gone to Howard...the Cardinals didn't do jack this season. Without Howard the Phillies don't even sniff the playoffs.
That would've been a complete joke.

Eddo144
11-22-2008, 06:18 PM
On his own team, Howard was, at best the second most important player, and at worst the fifth most important.

Utley definitely had a better year than Howard.
Hamels and Lidge probably did.
Rollins may have.

You take Howard off the Phillies, they definitely "sniff the playoffs", considering Howard was so bad he actively hurt the team for the first half of the season.

Craig Grebeck
11-22-2008, 09:54 PM
On his own team, Howard was, at best the second most important player, and at worst the fifth most important.

Utley definitely had a better year than Howard.
Hamels and Lidge probably did.
Rollins may have.

You take Howard off the Phillies, they definitely "sniff the playoffs", considering Howard was so bad he actively hurt the team for the first half of the season.
Don't forget Werth.

RKMeibalane
11-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Rollins may have.

Spoken like someone who didn't watch the Phillies this season. Rollins' struggles were the primary reason the Phils' offense went into the tank in June and August, as his inability to get on base or made it that much more difficult for Utley and Howard, as they came to bat with the bases empty time and time again.

Worse than that, his attitude bottomed out, resulting in his being pulled from a game by Charlie Manuel, and being booed after calling out his own fans.

Howard struggled for the first six weeks of the season. Rollins struggled virtually the entire season, and was never able to put together a stretch of games where he was productive. Fans were screaming for him to be moved down in the lineup, and Victorino to be placed in the lead-off spot.

With regards to Chase Utley, he definitely had a good season, but his numbers hide several of the problems he faced during 2008. Were it not for his extraordinarilly hot start, his numbers would have been pedestrian at best, as his power and run production all but disapeared after the 'break (his hip has been an issue since April/May).

Having said all of that, Pujols deserved the award. Period. There's no reason to even mention Ryan Howard's name in the discussion.

Craig Grebeck
11-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Spoken like someone who didn't watch the Phillies this season. Rollins' struggles were the primary reason the Phils' offense went into the tank in June and August, as his inability to get on base or made it that much more difficult for Utley and Howard, as they came to bat with the bases empty time and time again.

Worse than that, his attitude bottomed out, resulting in his being pulled from a game by Charlie Manuel, and being booed after calling out his own fans.

Howard struggled for the first six weeks of the season. Rollins struggled virtually the entire season, and was never able to put together a stretch of games where he was productive. Fans were screaming for him to be moved down in the lineup, and Victorino to be placed in the lead-off spot.

With regards to Chase Utley, he definitely had a good season, but his numbers hide several of the problems he faced during 2008. Were it not for his extraordinarilly hot start, his numbers would have been pedestrian at best, as his power and run production all but disapeared after the 'break (his hip has been an issue since April/May).

Having said all of that, Pujols deserved the award. Period. There's no reason to even mention Ryan Howard's name in the discussion.
June and August were the only two bad months Rollins had. August wasn't even that bad; the rest of the time he was good to great. He didn't struggle the entire season.

Utley's 2nd half OPS: .855. That's not pedestrian for a second baseman -- that's pretty damn good.