PDA

View Full Version : Redsox Tigers talking about trading trash for trash

Domeshot17
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Usually I don't care about rumors for other teams much, but this is semi interesting.

Red Sox are talking about sending Lugo to the Tigers for Willis and Robertson. Not sure which I would rather have, the Tigers with the blackhole of Lugo at SS, or the Sox being able to tee off on Willis and Robertson (added to the fact we hit Verlander pretty well).

got this from ESPN.com's Rumor Central, which is citing the Boston Globe

hi im skot
11-17-2008, 11:06 AM
If I'm Boston, I do it.

voodoochile
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Wow if the tigers can dump that Willis contract they should jump at it...

oeo
11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Why would the Tigers trade Robertson? He's not especially good, but what else do they honestly have?

If I'm a Tigers fan, I really have to question what kind of direction the Tigers are going in if they make this trade. Seems like Dombrowski is becoming increasingly unconcerned over his terrible pitching staff, and still wants to build that unstoppable offense.

Sargeant79
11-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Why would the Tigers trade Robertson? He's not especially good, but what else do they honestly have?

If I'm a Tigers fan, I really have to question what kind of direction the Tigers are going in if they make this trade. Seems like Dombrowski is becoming increasingly unconcerned over his terrible pitching staff, and still wants to build that unstoppable offense.

If Dombrowski is trying to build an unstoppable offense, then Julio Lugo would be reason number two to be concerned about the direction they are going.

oeo
11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
If Dombrowski is trying to build an unstoppable offense, then Julio Lugo would be reason number two to be concerned about the direction they are going.

I know Lugo just finished a couple of off years, but he's known for his offense. He's a terrible defender.

The Immigrant
11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
If I'm a Tigers fan, I really have to question what kind of direction the Tigers are going in if they make this trade.

They are headed straight to Salarydumpsville, with no regard for the speed limit.

oeo
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
They are headed straight to Salarydumpsville, with no regard for the speed limit.

You do realize that Lugo is overpaid for two more years, with an option for a third?

This isn't exactly the way you go about dumping salary: adding it back.

voodoochile
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
They are one of the few teams in the majors who is still going forward with a price increase next year. With the uncertain economy and the fact that the Detroit economy in particular is in the crapper and potentially getting much worse because of the economics of the auto industry the tigers are in for a world of hurt unless they can somehow market the team as still a contender. I don't know how they do that, but Detroit fans are hungry for a winner so who knows...

The Immigrant
11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
They are one of the few teams in the majors who is still going forward with a price increase next year. With the uncertain economy and the fact that the Detroit economy in particular is in the crapper and potentially getting much worse because of the economics of the auto industry the tigers are in for a world of hurt unless they can somehow market the team as still a contender. I don't know how they do that, but Detroit fans are hungry for a winner so who knows...

Scheduled salary raises alone will boost Detroit's payroll by some $25 million next year. They have no choice but to cut the fat. The cockamamie trade proposal that is the subject of this thread would save them around $10 million next year. That's just about enough to buy a controlling stake in General Motors.

Tragg
11-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Junk for junk is right.

I think I'd hang onto the pitchers, instead of gaining LUgo.

Flight #24
11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
So basically, the Red Sox are hocking a Lugo?

:dtroll:

y2j2785
11-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I thought they were going to trade Robertson or Willis for Lugo, not both, but maybe I'm wrong.

areilly
11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't know how they do that, but Detroit fans are hungry for a winner so who knows...

I don't know how hungry they can be when Hockeytown continually boasts a supreme hockey team.

whitesox901
11-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Junk for junk is right.

I think I'd hang onto the pitchers, instead of gaining LUgo.

I would too, it may be ****ty, but you can never have too much pitching

voodoochile
11-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't know how hungry they can be when Hockeytown continually boasts a supreme hockey team.

what is this hock-ey you speak of? :tongue:

MHOUSE
11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Boy how far has the D-Train fallen? He goes from rookie phenom, to Cy Young hopeful, to bad contract swap rumors. Just goes to show nothing is for certain in this game.

Anyways, it seems like an ok good deal for both sides. The Tigers need a SS and the Red Sox have Lowrie to take over there and have the pitching depth to let either of those pitchers try to turn it around in AAA with no pressure. I understood it to be Robertson or Willis. Maybe Detroit thinks they can sign a few FA retreads to fill in?

California Sox
11-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Maybe the Red Sox are looking at Willis to spell Big Papi at DH.

Tragg
11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I would too, it may be ****ty, but you can never have too much pitching
At least Willis was a good pitcher at one time.

turners56
11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
The pitchers they're giving up suck, but they don't have anybody else. I wouldn't do it if I were the Tigers.