PDA

View Full Version : AL & NL MVP predictions

Rockabilly
11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
AL- Dustin Pedroia
NL - Ryan Howard

its a shame that Quentin was injured the last month of the season...

MHOUSE
11-16-2008, 03:38 PM
AL- Dustin Pedroia
NL - Ryan Howard

I completely agree with Howard, but gosh I hope Pedroia doesn't win it. 17 HR and 83 RBI? Please. He was great, but they would have still made the playoffs even without him.

I think it should be either Youkilis (but you could make the same argument) or someone like Morneau. Unfortunately the writers all have hard-ons for the Sawx and one of them will probably in it. Guys on crappy teams with quiet, but solid seasons were Miguel Cabrera and Aubrey Huff. Hamilton seemed like a lock until he fell apart in the second half. The stupid homerun derby strikes again!

Will Quentin or Dye get many votes? Both were top-5 in homers and had right around 100 RBIs and carried our team at different points. I think they were both more "valuble" than Pedroia was.

russ99
11-16-2008, 03:50 PM
I think that Morneau will win it in the A.L. The Red Sox vote will be split. Also Quentin will certainly get votes but I doubt he'd get any first place ones.

Also, this was voted on before the playoffs, so I'll go with Pujols in the NL.

Billy Ashley
11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
If Howard wins it, it will be one of the biggest mistakes in MVP history...

As far as the MVP, I'd be ok with about a half dozen players winning it:

Mauer
Pedrioa
Sizemore
Youkilis

would be my top four

soltrain21
11-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I completely agree with Howard, but gosh I hope Pedroia doesn't win it. 17 HR and 83 RBI? Please. He was great, but they would have still made the playoffs even without him.

I think it should be either Youkilis (but you could make the same argument) or someone like Morneau. Unfortunately the writers all have hard-ons for the Sawx and one of them will probably in it. Guys on crappy teams with quiet, but solid seasons were Miguel Cabrera and Aubrey Huff. Hamilton seemed like a lock until he fell apart in the second half. The stupid homerun derby strikes again!

Will Quentin or Dye get many votes? Both were top-5 in homers and had right around 100 RBIs and carried our team at different points. I think they were both more "valuble" than Pedroia was.

I don't think they would have made the playoffs without Dustin. His second half was unreal. And who cares how many home runs he hit? His job wasn't to hit home runs.

I loathe the Red Sox, but he should probably win it.

PKalltheway
11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
AL- Dustin Pedroia
NL- Albert Pujols

thomas35forever
11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
AL- Dustin Pedroia
NL - Ryan Howard

I'll agree. It's what I thought when the regular season ended (with a White Sox winner:cool:).

chisox616
11-16-2008, 07:02 PM
They should just give Pujols his own separate MVP award already

AL MVP -- Probably Youk
NL MVP -- Howard
AP MVP -- Pujols

turners56
11-16-2008, 07:12 PM
AL - Youkilis
NL - Pujols

btrain929
11-16-2008, 07:16 PM
If you're gonna consider guys like Justin Morneau (players for teams who didn't make the playoffs), might as well consider Aubrey Huff too.

Howard & Pedroia/Youkilis (I don't think you can go wrong with either of them). Pedroia is a little more appealing with his runs scored and stolen bases.

turners56
11-16-2008, 07:21 PM
If you're gonna consider guys like Justin Morneau (players for teams who didn't make the playoffs), might as well consider Aubrey Huff too.

Howard & Pedroia/Youkilis (I don't think you can go wrong with either of them). Pedroia is a little more appealing with his runs scored and stolen bases.

The Twins were actually in contention. The Orioles weren't. Voters are going to take that into consideration.

Billy Ashley
11-16-2008, 07:24 PM
The Twins were actually in contention. The Orioles weren't. Voters are going to take that into consideration.

More so, while Huff was a better hitter than almost anyone in the league thus year, he contributed nothing in regards to defense. Mauer, Pedrioa and Youkilis being very good fielders helps their cases a lot.

MHOUSE
11-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I agree that Pujols is one of the top all-around players in baseball, but I find it hard to give him the MVP on a team that finished 3rd and wasn't really in contention after the AS Break. Howard carried the Phils past the Mets (again) in August and September, when it counted. He was tops in HR and RBI by a big margin and the way the game is today I don't think that he only batted .250 or whatever really matters in the MVP voting. Teams invest in power and run production and that's exactly what Howard is and exactly what his team needed down the stretch. The again, I don't get a vote so my opinion means very little. I really hope the Red Sox vote splits between Youk and Pedroia.

soltrain21
11-16-2008, 11:33 PM
I agree that Pujols is one of the top all-around players in baseball, but I find it hard to give him the MVP on a team that finished 3rd and wasn't really in contention after the AS Break. Howard carried the Phils past the Mets (again) in August and September, when it counted. He was tops in HR and RBI by a big margin and the way the game is today I don't think that he only batted .250 or whatever really matters in the MVP voting. Teams invest in power and run production and that's exactly what Howard is and exactly what his team needed down the stretch. The again, I don't get a vote so my opinion means very little. I really hope the Red Sox vote splits between Youk and Pedroia.

It's really not the most Valuable anymore. They need to call it most outstanding player.

oeo
11-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't think they would have made the playoffs without Dustin.

Who else would have made it? :?:

The Milkman
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
AL- Dustin Pedroia
NL- Albert Pujols

Agreed

Sockinchisox
11-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Pujols won NL MVP.