PDA

View Full Version : MLBPA pressuring CC?

MHOUSE
11-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I saw this teaser on Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB) with a link to the Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/11/15/2008-11-15_freeagent_market_hinges_on_cc_sabathias_.html?p age=1) saying sources believe the MLBPA might put pressure on CC to accept the Yankees record-setting offer and thus set a very high curve for the contracts that other free agent pitchers will get. :angry: I guess I want to know if this is legal or if the owners could somehow get together against stuff like this? It seems like some form of tampering. I mean that's the PA's job, to make their players the most money, but it seems wrong, especially since it seems like CC really wants to play on the west coast. I've heard that they get bent out of shape when younger players sign contracts that buy out years of free agency, trading security for overall dollars, so I guess this shouldn't surprise me.

SoxyStu
11-16-2008, 03:20 PM
This is done year in and year out. It is not tampering. It is up to CC to do as he pleases.

champagne030
11-16-2008, 03:37 PM
This is done year in and year out. It is not tampering. It is up to CC to do as he pleases.

Yep. They even got involved and wouldn't let Pay-Rod take a salary cut to get out of Texas.

MHOUSE
11-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Yep. They even got involved and wouldn't let Pay-Rod take a salary cut to get out of Texas.

I guess that's more of my question, what can the PA do to a player to "not let" them take a pay cut or "pressure" someone to take a more-money deal?

voodoochile
11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I guess that's more of my question, what can the PA do to a player to "not let" them take a pay cut or "pressure" someone to take a more-money deal?

All contracts are bound by the rules of the CBA. ARod wanted to violate the terms of the CBA to facilitate a trade. The PA said, "No".

The PA didn't want to set a precedent where teams could pressure a guy to take a paycut when he wants to be traded - No paycut, no trade. So they refused ARod's request and in the end it worked out just fine, because he still got traded and still gets paid.

Bobby Thigpen
11-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Gotta love unions.:rolleyes:

turners56
11-16-2008, 09:45 PM
This is pathetic. How much money do they really need? Sooner or later, they're gonna destroy baseball altogether. Every year, there's one free agent who sets the standard as the money whore. Good examples include A-Rod and Zito. They set the standards so high that other free agents in following years compare themselves to that whore and say, "hey, I'm just as good, if not better than him, I want more money". It's a chain reaction and it will keep happening as long as there are stupid owners and GMs who listen to ass hole agents like Scott Boras. Thankfully, Kenny and JR ignore that guy. MLB really needs to revenue share. They will need to one day because it's going to be nothing but the big market teams and the small market teams will be left with absolutely nothing.

Brian26
11-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I saw this teaser on Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB) with a link to the Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/11/15/2008-11-15_freeagent_market_hinges_on_cc_sabathias_.html?p age=1) saying sources believe the MLBPA might put pressure on CC to accept the Yankees record-setting offer and thus set a very high curve for the contracts that other free agent pitchers will get.

I'm a little confused by this. I understand that the union wants CC to take the highest offer possible and not settle for less to play in a more desirable city, but are they assuming that the NYY offer won't be topped? It seems like the more sensible approach would be for the union to urge CC to wait and listen to the other offers. I could easily see Moreno trying to top this offer at the last minute.

Parrothead
11-16-2008, 10:08 PM

Is the PA doing that the players equivalent of collusion?

beckett21
11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
IIRC they did the same thing to Thome when he left Cleveland for the big contract in Philly.

voodoochile
11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Is the PA doing that the players equivalent of collusion?

No collusion would be CC saying, "I will only sign with the team who signs these other players to contracts worth X amount of dollars over Y amount of years."

They aren't forcing CC to do anything, merely pointing out the benefits of taking the most money he can not just for him but for all the players and that's their job...

areilly
11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
MLB really needs to revenue share. They will need to one day because it's going to be nothing but the big market teams and the small market teams will be left with absolutely nothing.

MLB already has a revenue sharing program; this is how the Florida Marlins make $45 million annually before a single ticket, t-shirt, broadcasting license or advertisement is sold.

Daver
11-16-2008, 11:30 PM
No collusion would be CC saying, "I will only sign with the team who signs these other players to contracts worth X amount of dollars over Y amount of years."

They aren't forcing CC to do anything, merely pointing out the benefits of taking the most money he can not just for him but for all the players and that's their job...

Correct, the PA has a duty to it's members to push for the highest salaries possible, however, there is a trend in players ignoring the PA to sign contracts where they want to play as opposed to the highest bidder. Jermaine Dye took less money to play for the White Sox, because he felt they were a contender, it paid off for him.