PDA

View Full Version : How do you think Swisher feels about being traded?

Whitesoxfan23
11-14-2008, 07:49 PM
He seemed to really enjoy his time here. I can see him being pretty shocked and upset about this.

munchman33
11-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Considering he wasn't going to start here, I'd think he's happier there, where he'll likely start at first, if not left.

voodoochile
11-14-2008, 07:58 PM
He had to see the writing on the wall. He got benched for the last 2 weeks of the season and everything that followed. In fact, I imagine he'd rather be traded than risk that happening again...

SOXfnNlansing
11-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure if big league players care or not, but I'd be upset personally going from a 1st place team to one that is in transition.

BleacherBandit
11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Nick Swisher:

" I made alot of friends in Chicago that I'll never forget. I had a great time playing with those guys, and I will miss Chicago. However, I can't wait to get to New York. Their uniforms are a classic and their fans are fantastic! New York is also a world class city. I've always loved playing there!"

Pretty much the same sentiments he expressed after being traded last off season.

EuroSox35
11-14-2008, 08:04 PM
He's going to the NY Yankees and is a media whore going to the #1 DMA, I doubt he's losing any sleep

#1swisher
11-14-2008, 08:36 PM
He had to see the writing on the wall. He got benched for the last 2 weeks of the season and everything that followed. In fact, I imagine he'd rather be traded than risk that happening again...

Maybe not...a co-worker of my sister told her he bought a house across the road from him. I can't remember what town it is. I think she said Mokena.

Domeshot17
11-14-2008, 08:45 PM
From a player standpoint I am sure he is happy. His time in Chicago was never fair. He was always a middle order hitter, low average, high OBP, power. First he comes he and gets told to play his weakest position, and lead off. Then when that does not work he gets pinballed around positions and slots in the order. Some guys can do that, other guys, they need some stability. I would guess that was a big part of his struggles last year.

WhiteSoxBlog
11-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I think toward the end of the season, he was sort of looking to get traded. I remember him saying something along at the lines of, "at this point, I don't care where I play next year."

A. Cavatica
11-14-2008, 09:15 PM
This should be in Talking Baseball...

BadBobbyJenks
11-14-2008, 09:17 PM
This should be in Talking Baseball...

You should move it there.

HomeFish
11-14-2008, 09:18 PM
There is no greater honor in baseball than being a New York Yankee.

sox1970
11-14-2008, 09:20 PM
There is no greater honor in baseball than being a New York Yankee.

:puking:

oeo
11-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Nick Swisher:

" I made alot of friends in Chicago that I'll never forget. I had a great time playing with those guys, and I will miss Chicago. However, I can't wait to get to New York. Their uniforms are a classic and their fans are fantastic! New York is also a world class city. I've always loved playing there!"

Pretty much the same sentiments he expressed after being traded last off season.

:lol: No kidding.

" I made alot of friends in Oakland that I'll never forget. I had a great time playing with those guys, and I will miss Oakland. However, I can't wait to get to Chicago. Their uniforms are a classic and their fans are fantastic! Chicago is also a world class city. I've always loved playing there!"

HomeFish
11-14-2008, 09:25 PM
:puking:

Look at it this way:

The Yankees are by far the most successful team in the history of baseball. They have the largest payroll. They have the most demanding fans and the most demanding ownership. They hold their players to the highest standard.

If you're wanted by the Yankees -- if they think that you can handle the pressure, that you can live up to the expectation, and that you can follow in the footsteps of all the great players who came before you -- then, regardless what you think of them, that's a big honor. That's a lot of trust that gets put on your shoulders when you go to the Yankees.

That's not to say that a lot of guys who have been given that honor recently haven't screwed up, or that the honor hasn't been given out foolishly. But I don't see anything in baseball that's quite as special as being given the privilege to put on that Yankee uniform.

sox1970
11-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Look at it this way:

The Yankees are by far the most successful team in the history of baseball. They have the largest payroll. They have the most demanding fans and the most demanding ownership. They hold their players to the highest standard.

If you're wanted by the Yankees -- if they think that you can handle the pressure, that you can live up to the expectation, and that you can follow in the footsteps of all the great players who came before you -- then, regardless what you think of them, that's a big honor. That's a lot of trust that gets put on your shoulders when you go to the Yankees.

That's not to say that a lot of guys who have been given that honor recently haven't screwed up, or that the honor hasn't been given out foolishly. But I don't see anything in baseball that's quite as special as being given the privilege to put on that Yankee uniform.

Whatever. You should actually play for the Yankees if you want to make that statement.

slavko
11-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Maybe not...a co-worker of my sister told her he bought a house across the road from him. I can't remember what town it is. I think she said Mokena.

Is this the club's responsibility by contract or the CBA? Corporations take care of it when they transfer you.

Nick:If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere, it's up to you Noo Yawk, Nooooo Yawk, da dada dum, etc. (I suspect Nick's happy as a bedbug.)

btrain929
11-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Sooooooo how's he gonna react if he gets off to a slow start and his face is blasted on the front page of all the newspapers saying he's done for, and the trade rumors begin around June? I loved Nick while he was here, but I think the NY media will eat him alive. So far he hasn't showed to be a guy that can just brush it off....

Taliesinrk
11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Whatever. You should actually play for the Yankees if you want to make that statement.

Hate to do it here.. but I agree with Homefish. I'd say it's one of the biggest honors in all sports

GoGoCrede
11-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Ever since the news broke I've been keeping an eye on his blog for his reaction, but he hasn't written anything so far. I think he'd take it in stride; if you look back at his entries from January 2008, he seemed pretty positive about being traded to the Sox, even though he loved Oakland.

LoveYourSuit
11-15-2008, 01:44 AM

When you can't find the playing field because of D Wise, the aging Griffey, and a very down year for Konerko ........ I'd be doing back flips when getting the call I was traded.

LoveYourSuit
11-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Nick Swisher:

Well, there it is.
It's the Nick Swisher PR machine which grew thin on me after May. He better bring it down 6-7 notches over there in NY because they won't stand for the all clown no production crap.

btrain929
11-15-2008, 01:58 AM
http://www.everytshirt.com/images/products/Television_T-Shirts/small/Kids-The-Rock-WWE-T-shirt.jpg "IT DOESN'T MATTER how he feels..."

Ziggy S
11-15-2008, 02:02 AM
Who cares how he feels

This thread and Swisher suck

gene

cub killer
11-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Hate to do it here.. but I agree with Homefish. I'd say it's one of the biggest honors in all sports

Nope. Wearing the silver and black of the Palehose is the biggest honor

doublem23
11-15-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure if big league players care or not, but I'd be upset personally going from a 1st place team to one that is in transition.

The Yankees aren't your normal "team in transition."

RadioheadRocks
11-16-2008, 12:01 AM
He's a big boy, he can handle it.

whitesox901
11-16-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28450386@N03/3029341576/

Carl Skangberg's opinion

Parrothead
11-16-2008, 09:47 AM
i think he will enjoy counting his cash that he stole from the Sox....

areilly
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Nope. Wearing the silver and black of the Palehose is the biggest honor

Elaborate on this.

HomeFish
11-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Elaborate on this.

I assume he is either joking or trolling.

soltrain21
11-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Maybe we should find his livejournal and find out.

Who cares how he feels? People get traded all the time. I don't think he had any emotional attachment to this team. It's not like he grew up a Sox fan or played his entire career here.

CLR01
11-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Who cares how he feels? People get traded all the time.

Obsessed Sox fans who thought he was the best thing since Rowand? :dunno:

chaerulez
11-16-2008, 11:48 PM

If the Yankees get CC and either Lowe/Burnett I wouldn't say they are in transition anymore.

chaerulez
11-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Maybe we should find his livejournal and find out.

Who cares how he feels? People get traded all the time. I don't think he had any emotional attachment to this team. It's not like he grew up a Sox fan or played his entire career here.

I wondered this initially. With all due respect to Swisher, who does really care? Over a hundred players are dealt yearly, they know what kind of business this is. It's not like the Sox had some sort of obligation to keep him or explore what sort of feelings he would have as a result.

JB98
11-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Typically, players are shocked/hurt/dismayed the first time they get traded. After that, they realize it is part of the business. They tend to shrug it off as no big deal the second time they get dealt.

I have no idea if that is Swisher's reaction, but I think that's the norm.